Announcement

Collapse

New Server

RoninArmy.com now lives on a new server! Due to a communication mixup with our hosting company, some posts made around November 3, 2019 might have been overwritten. We apologize for the inconvenience. If anything seems off or doesn't work any more (or if anything works better now), we'd like to hear about it. Thanks!
See more
See less

Superteam Handbook!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• greycrusader
    replied
    One minor disappointment I had with the final published work is that I didn't get to coordinate very closely with the artist who rendered my Project Freedom heroes, unlike the characters I did for Rogues Gallery (or even the earlier 2e adventure book, All-In)); while the illustrations are obviously quite well-rendered, only a few elements of my designs were used. I certainly cannot fault the artist from making his own creative choices regarding the characters interpretations, but I thought perhaps a few of you might be interested in my original conceptions for their appearances.

9th Airborne: Fairly similar, but I pictured the armor's torso, gauntlets, and boots as khaki green (recalling his army background), with the arms and legs of the power-suit being a burnished gold. Also, I imagined Cain Rocha as a slim featured Hispanic man with a skull shaved to stubble, rather than a square jawed guy with a wedge of dark hair.

Fortress America: WAY different-my version is younger looking, with a wild, thick mane of silver-blonde hair (due to him being part Far-Sider); as befits the name, his costume was red (torso), white (belt, gloves, and boots), and blue (lower body), with a half-face mask and a chest symbol resembling a silver-white circle (representing the Far-Sider moon/Luna symbol) with alternating red-and-blue stripes.

Hexorcist:: I just figured Hexorcist should resemble his original depiction in the old-school Lockdown supplement; a skinny, oddly contorted figure draped in leather armor and cloth wrappings, except the original costume would be tattered and worn, exposing scarred, tattooed (with occult symbols) flesh.

Stormstress: Pretty much the closest, but I had updated her look a bit, with a black body-stocking adorned with an asymmetric lightning-pattern, and pale purple boots and gloves. I also conceived of this version of Stormstress as a bit older and slightly more hardened-looking, reflecting years in and out of prison.

Queen of Hearts: I think the artist used the actress Udo Azuba (who plays the formidable Crazy Eyes in the Netflix series Orange is the New Black) as a model for QofH: I imagined her more like the WWE wrestler/plus-size model Nia Jax. In my mind's eye, she wore a gold-tinted mask, and was clad in a half-red, half-black bodysuit, with red gloves, black boots, a gold belt, and a literal "queen of hearts" playing card design on her left bosom.

Been brushing up on my own art skills lately, so perhaps when I have a little more time on my hands I'll actually draw up my versions.

All my best!

Leave a comment:

• smiler127
    replied
    Originally posted by Wheeljack View Post
    When will the book be out on DriveThru? The Deluxe Gamemaster Guide is on there already, but I can't find the Superteam Handbook. Is it an exclusive?
    Took the words out of my mouth, really hoping it's on DriveThru very soon!

Leave a comment:

• Wheeljack
    replied
    When will the book be out on DriveThru? The Deluxe Gamemaster Guide is on there already, but I can't find the Superteam Handbook. Is it an exclusive?

Leave a comment:

• greycrusader
    replied
    Hey-sorry I accidentally posted off-topic; I wrote this up and meant to post in the Settings forum, where there's a thread dealing with The Super-Team handbook characters and Anti-Earth; but if any of you want to check that out too:

https://roninarmy.com/forum/atomic-t...and-anti-earth

Regardless, glad the pre-order copies are getting to people now. I'll continue to post on my own set of characters from time to time, though I'm in a bit of busy spot right now.

All my best.

Leave a comment:

• greycrusader
    replied
    THE FREEBOOTERS:

A loose affiliation of super-humans (or close enough to) brought together by Jordan McGinnis, the Anti-Earth counterpart to Earth-Prime's criminal hacker extraordinaire, Jared McGinnis, AKA The Freebooter. Like his equivalent number, Jordan was born with a severe spinal defect, rendering him paraplegic; but born into an authoritarian society which devoted scant resources to "cripples", Jordan's parents were forced into illicit activities to support their son's medical needs, and eventually forced to flee Empire City when this became too dangerous, going off-grid. By this time, the teenage Jordan's brilliant intellect was apparent, already devising several inventions to help the family cope with their many hardships. His parents did all they could to nurture his burgeoning mind, providing him with books, puzzles, and most crucially, a second-hand PC. Tragically, both his parents died while he was still in his teens, his father felled by a heart attack, and his mother perishing in a fiery crash while trying to outrun a state patrol (she had been smuggling untaxed goods). By this time, Jordan had vastly upgraded his computer equipment, living a life of adventure, intrigue, and piracy in cyberspace, under the handle of The Freewheeling Freerunner (the irony was not lost on him). Despising the regime of cruel super-tyrants whose whims destroyed the lives of his parents, the Freerunner wiped out their intel on resistance leaders, looted their government accounts, and sabotaged their research projects. While exceedingly clever, he undoubtedly would have soon been discovered and eliminated save for the intervention of Mind-Master, one of the few forces for justice on Anti-Earth. Posing as a fellow "keyboard freedom fighter", Mind-Master provided young McGinnis with additional technology, income, and contacts, putting him in touch with the Courage Confederation underground. Freerunner put these resources to good use, relocating to an extensively equipped clandestine lair, creating a series of false identities, and reaching out to other highly gifted individuals who likewise have cause to oppose the Tyranny Syndicate. This is how the Freebooters came to be-the team of Air-Raider, Chaos Bride, Hellqueen, Lady Tempest, and Rampart, along with their field leader, Unholy Terror.

Use Jordan McGinnis/The Freerunner has identical statistics to his counterpart, except his android lacks the Morph power and uses a Power-Staff instead of a hi-tech Cutlass (add a second AE: Ranged Damage 9, Unreliable (5 charges)); between missions, McGinnis frequently changes the android's appearance to confuse the authorities, but it usually appears as a very fit human of prime physical age, dressed in athletic gear or a martial arts gi, not the flamboyant buccaneer garb of his analogue.

More to follow, obviously!

All my best!

Leave a comment:

• darkshifter
    replied
    I got my pre-order copy yesterday. It's quite lovely.

Leave a comment:

• Psistrike
    replied
    Got my pre-order copy today.

Leave a comment:

• Sketchpad
    replied
    Originally posted by 1000buffalo View Post
    I picked up a copy yesterday evening at the local game store.
    So it's out in stores? Any idea when pre-orders will be getting their copies?

Leave a comment:

• 1000buffalo
    replied
    I picked up a copy yesterday evening at the local game store. I've only had a chance to give it a skim, but it looks great. I was just skimming some of the groups and characters, and they all seem like they'd be fun to play (great for one-shots or intros).

Likewise on the new stat block presentation - very nice.

Leave a comment:

• greycrusader
    replied
    From what I've read on the Green Ronin FB page, it should be within a few weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Gremlinkin
    replied
    My girlfriend preordered this book for my birthday, and i am waiting on it for my kids game that i run. Any ideas on when it drops?

Leave a comment:

• Gremlinkin
    replied
    My girlfriend preordered this book for me, and I'm really looking forward to it. Any idea on release date?

Leave a comment:

• greycrusader
    replied
    From what I understand, the character stat blocks were specifically designed to be easy to read for newcomers to the game, especially those who were introduced to M&M from the Basic Edition Heroes Handbook. I imagine similar releases in the future will make use of them, though other types of source books (collections of villains or bestiaries) will use a different format.

Leave a comment:

• rickjthree
    replied
    BTW, I really liked the format of the character sheets used in the book. Is there any chance y'all could release blank version of those sheets for folks to use?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Voltron64
    replied
    Originally posted by greycrusader View Post

I didn't actually do the UNIQUE section, so I don't have any sort of official answer. Matron does seem like a Dr. Mist analogue, with a bit of Highlander/Connor McLeod thrown in.

All my best.
    You're right, I got them briefly confused.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X