Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3e Array Questions from a M&M Neophyte

Teleport
    Are there natural powers to end up in an Array with the Teleport power? The Power Profile: Teleport Powers gives some options for an array of doing damage by splinching (alohomora, witches!) people and the like, but wondering if there are natural pairings that are widely accepted. My experience with the game is nil, but it seems that the only examples of Teleport ending up in an Array is for magi.

Gunslinger
    I am trying to build a gunslinger using the Blast power (since it mentions bullets) rather than Devices. I have an image of an arsenal on my character, and am trying to figure out how best to build the ability to use multiple weapons and do all manner of impressive things with a bullet.

Is using Blast in this manner acceptable - or do I need to bite the bullet (puns!) and go with Devices? Would easily removable factor in to the use of the power in any way? Or a limitation that the character needs to use a gun in order to have access to Blast?

Would I have two Arrays? One for AoE, splitting my attack, single shot, and the like, and another that features abilities with alternative attacks such as stun grenades, flamethrowers, et cetera?

Would I buy Ricochet and Accurate for every single Alternate Effect in the Array as well?

Is there a way to challenge a different save resistance with bullets?

Is there a way to use Selective Reaction Deflect with a bullet (not just with slow projectiles)? Could you trip someone (shooting at their feet until they fall over)? Or stun them (glancing blow off the temple?)

My scratchpad currently looks like (I've barely scratched the surface, and haven't worked out the cost of the second array, as I am unsure if it should be a second array, or rolled into the first)...

Arsenal
    Blast Array 10 [29+4] Extras: Accurate 5, Precise, Ricochet 3, Flaws: easily removable
    • Alternate Effect: Split Blast [1] Extras: Split, Flaws:
    • Alternate Effect: AoE Blast [1] Extras: , Flaws:
    • Alternate Effect: Deflect Blast [1] Extras: Selective Reaction, Flaws: Limited slow projectiles
    • Alternate Effect: Multiattack Blast [1] Extras: , Flaws:

Alternate Ammo (using an arrow Array as my base here)
    • Flare: Ranged Affliction 5 (Resisted by Fortitude; Vision Impaired, Vision Disabled, Vision Unaware) • 1 point
    • Net: Ranged Affliction 5 (Resisted by Dodge; Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Immobile), Extra Condition, Limited to Two Degrees • 1 point
    • Smoke: Cloud Area Ranged Concealment Attack 2 (Normal Sight) • 1 point
    • Tear Gas Grenade: Ranged Cloud Area Affliction 4 (Resisted by Fortitude; Dazed and Visually Impaired, Stunned and Visually Disabled, Incapacitated), Extra Condition, Diminished Range • 1 point

Help!

Thanks so much.
    Last edited by Loki; 17th April 2018, 05:35 PM.

Re: 3e Array Questions from a M&M Neophyte

The answer to most of these questions will end up being "however you want it". M&M is both fun like that and annoying like that.

> Are there natural powers to end up in an Array with the Teleport power?
    Yes, but it depends on the descriptors. Teleporting by portals dovetails nicely with other portal things like Deflect. Teleporting by magic dovetails nicely with basically anything you decide to call a spell. Teleporting by rewinding time and retroactively redoing your movement dovetails nicely with other time things.
    For a "traditional" teleport, Power Profiles has some good ideas.

> Is using Blast in this manner acceptable - or do I need to bite the bullet (puns!) and go with Devices?
    > Would easily removable factor in to the use of the power in any way?
    Either! Blast not-Removable would suggest that either your character creates the weapons or simply has so many that attacking the weapons would be pointless. Blast as Removable would imply that somebody enterprising could break or transform your guns to prevent you from shooting. Blast as Easily Removable would imply that you have the one gun, and if somebody takes it from your hands you can't shoot until you get it back.

> Or a limitation that the character needs to use a gun in order to have access to Blast?
    This would be another way of doing it, incompatible with Removable. It might raise some eyebrows if you just buy one cheap gun, but if you're investing points into having guns it seems like it could work fine for "great with any gun".

> Would I have two Arrays? One for AoE, splitting my attack, single shot, and the like, and another that features abilities with alternative attacks such as stun grenades, flamethrowers, et cetera?
    Either works. Generally I'd recommend having just one array, simply because you can rarely use two arrays full of Standard actions at the same time, and that's what those arrays sound like.

> Would I buy Ricochet and Accurate for every single Alternate Effect in the Array as well?
    Only for the ones you wanted to be Accurate or to Ricochet.

> Is there a way to challenge a different save resistance with bullets?
    The Alternate Resistance extra.

> Is there a way to use Selective Reaction Deflect with a bullet (not just with slow projectiles)? Could you trip someone (shooting at their feet until they fall over)? Or stun them (glancing blow off the temple?)
    Deflect cannot, per its rules, be anything but a Standard action. Unless your GM says otherwise, in which case go nuts.
    You can get a similar effect with a Reaction Nullify to counter, or just a Reaction Blast to shoot back. No reason you couldn't build it as an Affliction to trip or stun.

Comment

Thank you so much Nunya!

Comment

Happy to help!
        If you get a more complete character and want somebody to look it over, or have more questions, feel free to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Loki View Post
          Are there natural powers to end up in an Array with the Teleport power? The Power Profile: Teleport Powers gives some options for an array of doing damage by splinching (alohomora, witches!) people and the like, but wondering if there are natural pairings that are widely accepted. My experience with the game is nil, but it seems that the only examples of Teleport ending up in an Array is for magi.
          Anything which is the same thing as the teleport but doing different things (such as doing damage by teleporting an object into someone, Leaping by means of teleporting in-place with a change in velocity, Enhanced Defense or Insubstantial by virtue of teleporting in and out rapidly, etc) would fit, as well as anything that simply shares the same power source such that eliminating or weakening one power affects them all. While Magic is a common case of this, someone powered by Cosmic Energy might have the same issue, where getting cut off from his source of energy means he also can't shoot energy bolts, summon Cosmic Constructs, or use his Cosmic Pickup Tricks to boost his Presence.

Gunslinger
          I am trying to build a gunslinger using the Blast power (since it mentions bullets) rather than Devices. I have an image of an arsenal on my character, and am trying to figure out how best to build the ability to use multiple weapons and do all manner of impressive things with a bullet.

Is using Blast in this manner acceptable - or do I need to bite the bullet (puns!) and go with Devices? Would easily removable factor in to the use of the power in any way? Or a limitation that the character needs to use a gun in order to have access to Blast?
          If he can't have the guns disarmed or removed/damaged, that's just the power in question. If he can't be disarmed, but can have them removed from his body (say, someone knocking him out and stealing all of his guns, or subjecting his bandoliers to a Smash attempt), that's just Removable instead of Easily Removable. As Nunya has indicated, a 1 PP Quirk for only being able to use his power with a gun in hand is not uncommon.

Would I have two Arrays? One for AoE, splitting my attack, single shot, and the like, and another that features abilities with alternative attacks such as stun grenades, flamethrowers, et cetera?
          That's sort of a GM question. The book does not outlaw nested arrays, and they were even officially countenanced in 2E on the boards, but individual GMs will differ. One way of doing it is just modeling each effect as an array slot:
          Arsenal (Removable): (23 PP - 23 / 5 = 19 PP)
          .. Single Shot (Blast 10) [Base Power, 20 PP]
          .. AP: Fanned Shot (Blast 8, Accurate, Split Attack 3)
          .. AP: Shotgun (Damage 10, Area (Cone))
          .. AP: Flamethrower (Damage 10, Area (Line))

Another (GM Willing) is to set the guns up as an array, and then allow each of them to have an array:
          Arsenal (Removable) [22 PP - 22/5 = 18 PP]
          .. Pistol
          .. .. Single Shot (Blast 10)
          .. .. AP: Fanned Shot (Blast 8, Accurate, Split Attack 3)
          .. AP: Grenade Launcher
          .. .. Frag Grenade (Blast 7, Area (Burst), Quirk: Reduced Range)
          .. .. Stun Grenade (Affliction 10 (Dazed/Stunned), Range (Ranged), Area (Burst), Limited Degree)

Side note, because this occasionally crops up, the rules are pretty clear that you can't link AEs since they're mutually exclusive, but there's a basis for "Bare extras" which are powers that just add an Extra or Flaw to a power, and theoretically, you could have two separate arrays, one for modifiers and one for effects. As a GM, that's got a bit of a bad smell to it, because it has a potential for abuse, but there are some builds that could justify it.

Would I buy Ricochet and Accurate for every single Alternate Effect in the Array as well?
          Yes, although if it applies to all of the AEs, stating it at the top of the array is the same as stating it for each, since it's the same cost for each effect.

Is there a way to challenge a different save resistance with bullets?
          Alternate Save is generally the trick here, although you have to justify it with the GM, and an exotic save (say Resisted by Perception) could be a +1 Extra.

Is there a way to use Selective Reaction Deflect with a bullet (not just with slow projectiles)? Could you trip someone (shooting at their feet until they fall over)? Or stun them (glancing blow off the temple?)
          As noted, Deflect can't have its action reduced, but it could be the descriptor for increased Defense, Toughness, or the like with the descriptor of automatically shooting attacks out of the air. The others are Alts or Power Stunts generally, although some GMs will allow Damage Effects to do the combat maneuvers, generally with a penalty for ranged attacks to balance how there's no risk of getting it countered, generally.
          [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
          [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Thanks so much Fuzzboots!

Now I must find a game that is recruiting to try this out *evil schemey fingers*

Comment

The only game here that's recruiting right now is The New All-Star Squadron, and that's a game-in-progress that's looking for exactly one new player. And since it's the only recruiting game right now, everybody and their mother is applying so there's a ton of competition.
              Still worth a shot applying for if you're interested though, though I'm not sure if your gunslinger is a character you'd want to rework for a PL8 120PP high-school heroes game.

Comment

I appreciate that Nunya, working on an app as we speak.

Comment

Working...
                X