Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meta Marshal: Creating a Meta Batman-like character with insane martial arts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meta Marshal: Creating a Meta Batman-like character with insane martial arts.

Let me just note that I'm in the process of paying a professional artist to draw me the model for this particular character, because this idea has always been lingering in my mind as my staple comic book character ever since I can remember.
    Let us begin.

I'm trying to make the most extreme Batman meta character ever. To which that his martial arts should be a flawless form of attack and automatically dodging and parrying involuntarily, disappearing in sheer speed, and reappearing to counterattack with his reversals. His hits, unarmed, or with ranged weapons always look jaw-droppingly "impossible" and lucky, and penetrate through the most impervious of invulnerabilities no matter what weapons used. Like a cross between Neo, One Punch Man, and Ultra Instinct Goku wrapped up into a V for Vendetta, Batman looking-esk type of character, all while keeping the main theme of being only human.

Let me also note that I don't want you guys to imagine him as this Superman or Goku type character, where he breaks all laws of physics with his fists and speed. I just want you to imagine him as like Neo taking over the role of Batman in the Batman vs Superman movie, where Superman is inhibited by the Kryptonite gas. A more accurate fighter than Batman, capable of progressively beating down everybody, including Mega beings like a one man army with flashy martial arts.

I've taken example powers from the Teleport, Luck, and Talent Power Profiles and modified them using my accumulated knowledge from FuzzyBoots and JDRook.

I will use the names of the powers from the power profiles in case anyone wants to look them up, or is familiar with them to help me.

Lucky Shot (Luck) & Find Weakness (Luck): Enhanced Extra (Perception Range), Enhanced Extra (Penetrating), Variable Descriptor (Attacks), Quirk (Limited to Lower of Attack or Extra’s Rank, –1 point) Resisted by Fortitude • 3 points per rank

Flurry (Talent): Multiattack, Variable Descriptor 2 (any attack effect you wield, only up to the attack’s rank) • 2 points + 1 point per rank

Ambidexterous (Talent): Feature 1 (no circumstance penalties for off-hand use) • 1 point.

Lucky Dodge (Luck), Redirecting Warp (Teleport), Teleporting Dodge (Teleport), Modified with Bladewing's suggestion: Radius Tactile Sense Enhanced Advantage 1 (Uncanny Dodge), Enhanced Dodge, Enhanced Parry, Visual Concealment 4, Quirk (visible until attacked, –1 point) Deflect, Reflect, Redirect, Triggered by (Attacks) • 8 points + 6 points per rank + 1 flat point per rank

**Bladewing's last comment from this link: https://roninarmy.com/threads/1149-3...Question/page3

If anyone has any pointers for improvement, please let me know.

Re: Meta Marshal: Creating a Meta Batman-like character with insane martial arts.

It's really not difficult to make an OP "human" character in M&M if you try to. Most effects can be given the Talent or Training descriptor legitimately, even if it might warrant a Limited flaw or Complication to ensure no clearly superhuman feats take place. Concealment, Insubstantial, Movement, Mind Reading, Remote Sensing... any of those could work, along with the more usual. Make up an outrageous power based on the most appropriate effect, describe how it works, add the descriptors and any flaws/Complications, and you're good to go.

Pulling just from the Talent or Luck profiles honestly seems somewhat limiting, and I'd argue that as far as a martial arts "feel" goes, you're better off getting that from your selection of Advantages. Most characters can find a way to justify a Damage 8 power, even one with nifty extras. Add two ranks of Takedown? THAT turns him into a Bat-clone.

Obviously most GMs won't allow the character if he's truly OP, but examining all the options is still instructive as far as seeing how far the system can be pushed to get the exact results one wants.
    My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Mr-Smooth)?p=68608&viewfull=1#post68608]here[/url]. And, here's the latest version of [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Edge)?p=256421&viewfull=1#post256421]The Cast[/url].
    Currently playing in: [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/6868-Xenoforce-Earth-s-Strangest-Heroes-Recruiting-2-more-players][color=#d7af50]Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes[/color][/url].

Comment

Re: Meta Marshal: Creating a Meta Batman-like character with insane martial arts.

Interesting. Okay. So if I took a couple of ranks of "Skill Download" from the Meta Power Profile, I'd be on my way to being an OP human.

But you know what, I don't want to do that, because I don't want every skill and/or advantage.

If I may be so different, I want to spend time building the most "game mechanically" efficient brawler, than the most descriptor-based.

So let's build on that, you said two ranks of Takedown. Why don't we put that in the Flurry?

Flurry: Multiattack, Takedown 2, Variable Descriptor 2 (any attack effect you wield, only up to the attack’s rank) • 4 points + 1 point per rank

What else do you suggest?

Comment

Bump

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Goodfellow View Post
          What else do you suggest?
          Well, you're asking a question that really doesn't IMO have a straight answer.

I can point out general principles to go on, and examples of things that may work for your character. But at the end of the day, even with the general description you've provided, I don't know your character like you do. And it's your specific view of the character that has the largest influence on what elements should or shouldn't be incorporated.

For example, most characters have some sort of movement power to avoid having to jog across town; Leaping, Speed, Flight, etc. If you picture your character as having very acrobatic martial arts skills, that might include parkour, which would mean you could probably justify a few ranks of Leaping with the Training descriptor and a Quirk such as "Needs to vault/leap up structures." But to my mind, that would be more Nightwing than Batman, so depending on the exact flavor of your character, it might not apply.

Almost every Effect, Advantage and Extra can be made available to a character in M&M, which sort of defeats the point of going for "most mechanically efficient" without defining "efficient at X, specifically." You'll probably find it easier to instead focus on detailing the character, and on a specific set of abilities/techniques/etc. that you want to highlight, traits that you personally feel makes the character an extreme Batman clone.
          My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Mr-Smooth)?p=68608&viewfull=1#post68608]here[/url]. And, here's the latest version of [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Edge)?p=256421&viewfull=1#post256421]The Cast[/url].
          Currently playing in: [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/6868-Xenoforce-Earth-s-Strangest-Heroes-Recruiting-2-more-players][color=#d7af50]Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes[/color][/url].

Comment

I would go with:
            Most combat advantages (Power, accurate, all-out attack) so you can adjust your bonus to hit and damage to your enemy.
            A basic shift towards attack, something more like 15/5 than 10/10
            Damage str-based unarmed attack, so you don't need 5 str to pull off the above numbers (5+ str along with 6+ dex/agi and stam is not exactly within human standards)
            Multiattack on your martial arts, along with takedown 2 and a rank or two of speed, not sure how fast that is, but it lets you mow quite a lot of minions down in one round.
            Leaping for mobility, along with some wall climbing (maybe it's from a device). Not sure if even leaping 1 is appropriate if you want you "totally human" feel.
            Device for gliding.
            Get some smoke bombs, with devices or training you can reduce or eliminate the penalty o your attacks from concealment... but maybe they can't. More minion mowing.

I might be interested in building an npc to challenge a group of fledgin heroes w/o using powers... so I'll keep an eye on this

Comment

Working...
            X