Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help with a power concept. Re: Concealment power.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alderic78
    replied
    Re: Need Help with a power concept. Re: Concealment power.

Just wondering...
    Maybe you don't need much more than a full concealment power, and some GM handweaving.
    This is the setting where putting on a pair of glasses and changing hairstile makes you a completely different person, and no one ever questions the fact that you disappear ALL the time just before the superhero appears.

While attempting to build a power that alters the mind of everyone in the entire multiverse so that they cannot remember you might be impossible, maybe all this is is a different take on an alternate identiy...

As I said... just wondering...

Leave a comment:

• Squirrelly-sama
    replied

Originally posted by Teapot Tempest View Post
    Sorry, I don't know who 'The Imp' is. I'm building someone that lives in the Paragon's universe. She's kind of an introvert. Then someone close to her dies, and it just makes her introversion worse, and she experiences her 'breakout' event, and one of the powers she develops is, people slowly forget about her. And even when they do notice her it's kind of fleeting, and they quickly forget about her again.
    Not The Imp, just Imp. She's a young inner city kid who gained the power to be completely ignored and forgotten when she activates her power. She tends to use this to dress as an imp and gas light rivals for her little villain group to scare them out of their territory.

Leave a comment:

• Teapot Tempest
    replied

Originally posted by Squirrelly-sama View Post
    You're trying to build Imp from Worm aren't you?
    Sorry, I don't know who 'The Imp' is. I'm building someone that lives in the Paragon's universe. She's kind of an introvert. Then someone close to her dies, and it just makes her introversion worse, and she experiences her 'breakout' event, and one of the powers she develops is, people slowly forget about her. And even when they do notice her it's kind of fleeting, and they quickly forget about her again.

Leave a comment:

• Squirrelly-sama
    replied

I'm trying to make a character that has a kind of invisibility. But it's more like .. people don't notice her no matter what she tries to do. Would that just be special effects describing a basic 10 ranks of concealment, or would it be more complex? Would it be another power, as even if someone does notice her .. after a little bit .. they sort of forget about her.

Any help would be appreciated on how to build this, thanks.
    You're trying to build Imp from Worm aren't you?

Well that's the Subtle full Concealment Power, Limited to Minds. 11pp, Subtle +20 Slight of Hand limited to Minds. 6 pp. Insidious, Subtle, and Reversible Progressive, Perception Area Affliction (Entranced, Compelled, Transformed [Memoryless] Limited to Forgetting and Ignoring the user, Limited to Normal Perception, Quirks: Reversible affects all targets. 22 pp. All linked.

You'll probably want to add enhanced Sneak and Hide in Plain Sight as well. Some intimidation ranks (probably limited to gaslighting), and some power stunts like Subtle Teleportation limited to when unobserved. Or Insidious Subtle Perception Range Dodge(reflex) Resisted Affliction (Vulnerable, Defenseless) Limited Degree, instant Recovery, and Limited to Minds and link it to an attack to simulate her doing her best impression of a Dark Brotherhood Dragonborn.

Edit: Also a few features to add Subtle/Insidious to your normal actions as well would help.

Leave a comment:

• JDRook
    replied

Cool. I wasn't sure if I could do that with a feature . . . If I can achieve that affect with a perk or a feature based around insidious (which now that you've brought it up, makes a lot of sense to me), then that's great!
    To be clear, that's basically my call, since I don't think the effect you want has a huge effect on gameplay, although it's going to be a major aspect on how you play the character. So that's a houserule; with other GMs, Your Mileage May Vary.

Leave a comment:

• Teapot Tempest
    replied

Originally posted by JDRook View Post
    Affliction is an Instant Effect, with the Conditions being ongoing until you resist them, so to make that Continuous would be a +3 Extra. Also, 3rd Degree Only is a -1 Flaw, presumably because the 3rd Degree is the most powerful Condition. (I think it was introduced in the Illusion Power Profile, or at least one of the PPs.) So your build would actually be 4p/rank, and Subtle/Insidious might still be a thing, too.

I tend toward simple, so I would think Concealment 10, Permanent +0, Resistible by Will -1 would cover most of it, and maybe a 1p Feature similar to Insidious that keeps people from remembering her if they do notice her. That's 11p, which might feel a little cheap for mind altering, but it's very specialized and of course can't be turned off. I'd also recommend a plain old Complication for when not being seen causes actual difficulties. Pulling a fire alarm and having the building cleared of everyone but her would be advantageous if she's looking for something inside, but problematic if there's a real fire and she ends up locked in.
    Cool. I wasn't sure if I could do that with a feature. The original way I build the power was similar. I think mine was only 5 points, because I applied 'Partial' to it for a -1. To represent the fact that she wasn't completely unnoticed, but still very hard to recall or notice. My main concern was always how do I make sure people kind of work sub consciously to avoid her, so if she's in a seat in a diner, or sitting at the counter someone doesn't just come up, see an empty seat or booth and accidentally sit on her. If I can achieve that affect with a perk or a feature based around insidious (which now that you've brought it up, makes a lot of sense to me), then that's great!

Leave a comment:

• JDRook
    replied

. . .could this be done with Affliction? Say:

Affliction 8 (Campaign is PL 8), Range [Perception] +2, Third Degree ONLY -2, Continuous +1, Always On -1 . . .

Is that all that's required for this power? . . . Or am I'm missing more extras or limitations to tack on?
    Affliction is an Instant Effect, with the Conditions being ongoing until you resist them, so to make that Continuous would be a +3 Extra. Also, 3rd Degree Only is a -1 Flaw, presumably because the 3rd Degree is the most powerful Condition. (I think it was introduced in the Illusion Power Profile, or at least one of the PPs.) So your build would actually be 4p/rank, and Subtle/Insidious might still be a thing, too.

I tend toward simple, so I would think Concealment 10, Permanent +0, Resistible by Will -1 would cover most of it, and maybe a 1p Feature similar to Insidious that keeps people from remembering her if they do notice her. That's 11p, which might feel a little cheap for mind altering, but it's very specialized and of course can't be turned off. I'd also recommend a plain old Complication for when not being seen causes actual difficulties. Pulling a fire alarm and having the building cleared of everyone but her would be advantageous if she's looking for something inside, but problematic if there's a real fire and she ends up locked in.

Leave a comment:

• Teapot Tempest
    replied

This thread and the suggested ones have been helpful. It got me to thinking. Could this be done with a kind of affliction? Also, to be clear, I'm not looking for some kind of foolproof weapon to use in combat. I'm perfectly fine with this ability not always being effective. I am more interested in exploring the psychological aspects that it can bring with it when virtually all of humanity is forced, by your power, to simply ignore your presence. My games tend to run more towards the 2e setting of Paragons with adult themes and not much in the way of 4 color. So most of the characters I create are created under that lens.

Anyway, could this be done with Affliction? Say:

Affliction 8 (Campaign is PL 8), Range [Perception] +2, Third Degree ONLY -2, Continuous +1, Always On -1. Would this be sufficient to allow anyone that can perceive the target to be effected. I assume since the bulk of humanity function like minions and have very low PL's would suffer the third degree and be transformed into 'a target that takes no notice of the target'. Can you set the recovery option for third degree as having it pointed out to you that someone was there? Usually by someone that did see the target and remembered her?

Is that all that's required for this power? So that would be 1 point per rank .. for 8 points for a maximum of 8 ranks for the series PL? Or am I'm missing more extras or limitations to tack on? Since it's resisted by will .. it wouldn't have an effect on recorded devices. Or maybe it would if someone with a mind was listening to a recording on her voice .. they'd just hear static .. even though she's be screaming into the recording to try and get someone to realize she'd been recorded? I dunno. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Not even sure if this can be done under the 3e rules without some kind of house rule

Leave a comment:

• Nunya B
    replied

Subtle and/or Insidious on all your powers, plus Concealment, is the straight-forwards way to do it.
    That said, that still fails against anyone with Counters Concealment senses and doesn't make you "touch invisible" since you're not Insubstantial. It's still more than enough to make you extremely aggravating to deal with.

Do note that this is a really irritating thing for everyone involved to deal with.
    It's also a terrible PC concept if you can't turn it off, since you lose the ability to interact with others.

Leave a comment:

• Rush
    replied

You may want to dig through the following links... this question has been raised before, and various options have been detailed.

Briefly, a lot of it will depend on how exactly you want the power to work, and on just how closely you wish the character to follow those details mechanically.

https://roninarmy.com/att-forum-arch...p?f=16&t=22343
    https://roninarmy.com/threads/6083-Q...on-Concealment

*Note: the first link is for 2ed of the game, but you will likely still find a lot of it applicable.

Leave a comment:

• Need Help with a power concept. Re: Concealment power.

I'm trying to make a character that has a kind of invisibility. But it's more like .. people don't notice her no matter what she tries to do. Would that just be special effects describing a basic 10 ranks of concealment, or would it be more complex? Would it be another power, as even if someone does notice her .. after a little bit .. they sort of forget about her.

Any help would be appreciated on how to build this, thanks.
Working...
X