Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PL limit: are the atributes capped at all or can their potential be "wasted", buffing other stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PL limit: are the atributes capped at all or can their potential be "wasted", buffing other stuff?

It's kind a tricky, but I'll demonstrate my question with a scenario

Last game one of my players contested the PL limits. That is, the power level was 5, his character had a strength value of 3 and a close combat rank of 7. Then he said that it would make a lot more sense if he could keep increasing his strength, getting a higher grab roll and a higher carrying capacity, but never increasing his damage.

This makes zero sense in my head so I said no (and we decided to talk about it after the game); For me is virtually impossible for you to have strength 8 but only deal 3 ranks of damage, getting a DC 18 Toughness roll, only because the system wants to limit your damage but not necessarily your carrying capacity.

My point: If your strength is 8, you CAN deal 8 damage. If you can't do it (because the system said so), you just can't reach strength 8.
    His point: You should be able to get a higher strength value and just discard any ilegal bonuses.

What you guys think?

Re: PL limit: are the atributes capped at all or can their potential be "wasted", buffing other stuf

You're both right, actually. Depends on how you go about it.

You're right in that the rules offer no provision for "having but not using" as your player describes. He can't just buy more strength and ignore the Damage boost.

He's right in that what he could do is buy Strength Limited to lifting in order to increase his lifting ability without touching the PL capped traits. Maybe even Limited to lifting and athletics if you were feeling more generous than the book's authors.

Comment

Re: PL limit: are the atributes capped at all or can their potential be "wasted", buffing other stuf

If you put more points into Strength (say, to bump it to 4 ranks,) then you can do more unarmed damage. That's just a core mechanic, and messing with that is a Pandora's box you probably don't want to open.

However, Enhanced Strength can come from many sources, and can have any of numerous descriptors, including Training. It can also be Limited to Lifting Only (or in some other way where direct damage isn't increased.)

It sounds like the player should just start buying Enhanced Strength with the Training descriptor (or something similar) and with the appropriate Limited flaw, up to a level you feel comfortable allowing (lifting 1000 tons through Training is probably not what you want.) That makes it cheaper, doesn't break PL, and avoids reworking core game mechanics.
      My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Mr-Smooth)?p=68608&viewfull=1#post68608]here[/url]. And, here's the latest version of [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Edge)?p=256421&viewfull=1#post256421]The Cast[/url].
      Currently playing in: [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/6868-Xenoforce-Earth-s-Strangest-Heroes-Recruiting-2-more-players][color=#d7af50]Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes[/color][/url].

Comment

Oh. I never realized that the system lets you put flaws and stuff on Strength by buying Enhanced Strength. Maybe an Inate quality to make it right

Thanks a lot, people. Problem solved!

Comment

Working...
        X