Alternatative to Adaptive Immunity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternatative to Adaptive Immunity

I was looking into adaptive immunity to try and build a character with something similar as their ability. As it is Adaptive Immunity is Immunity to Toughness/Fortitude/Will effects (140pp) though this doesn't seem to quite fit the concept for the character I wanted. In the setting there's a lot of different sources for powers so just immunity to one doesn't quite work. There's also Dodge Resisted effects as well which doesn't line up with the immunities.

The concept I was going for was a character who has a slow building immunity to nearly anything. The first time he's affected by something he reacts normally but after several times exposed to it he gets near total immunity. This works on all things, from being damaged by something (where being burned, stabbed, or falling count as different) to types of poisons to even being healed or buffed. The setting has a bunch of different descriptors for powers from Magic to tech to espers to Alien etc so listing all of them doesn't seem like an option if something new crops up. So I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for the descriptors to use for it. As it is I've just added Immunity to Beneficial Effects to the default Adaptive Immunity but that doesn't seem right so I'm open to ideas for alternatives.
    [SIZE=2][FONT=comic sans ms][I][URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/7721-WAIFU-WARZ-Squirrelly-s-Anime-and-Animation-Builds"]I Build Waifus and Waifu Accessories![/URL][/I][/FONT][/SIZE]

Re: Alternatative to Adaptive Immunity

I can't really speak to descriptors without knowing more about the setting and the character. What's the concept driving this power?

Though I think I'd build that as Immunity 200: Everything, Limited: Applies against beneficial and harmless effects, must roll a resistance check against such effects (-1PP/R), Limited: No auto-success, instead reduces resistance check DC by 1 per prior exposure (-2 PP/R).

Comment

Originally posted by Nunya B View Post
      I can't really speak to descriptors without knowing more about the setting and the character. What's the concept driving this power?

Though I think I'd build that as Immunity 200: Everything, Limited: Applies against beneficial and harmless effects, must roll a resistance check against such effects (-1PP/R), Limited: No auto-success, instead reduces resistance check DC by 1 per prior exposure (-2 PP/R).
      The setting is somewhat based on Worm only with a lot more power sources than Eldritch Space Whale Magic. At this point there is a Touhou style youkai with magic (their magic is usually conceptual and the power to "Float Away" can lead to perfect defenses as they "Float Away" from reality), Another is a Puella Magi, one is an actual Eldritch abomination, A zergling will be joining soon and Villains range from Martial Arts masters, Hemokinetics, actually a video game character, and a biology based type vampirism.

The power is sort of like a shield, on all his cells. It blocks things that hurts him but doesn't alter him in any way or grant new powers. So he could be immune to the crushing pressure of the ocean but still suffocate for example. Basically this shield tunes itself to anything that affects him to block it out.
      [SIZE=2][FONT=comic sans ms][I][URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/7721-WAIFU-WARZ-Squirrelly-s-Anime-and-Animation-Builds"]I Build Waifus and Waifu Accessories![/URL][/I][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

So a sort of magical kitchen sink setting?
        I'd eyeball the descriptors as [Defense] [Immunity] [Magic] [Your particular kind of magic] in that case.

Comment

Why not use the "Adaptation" power instead? It's Variable with a Reaction trigger and some Limited Flaws for it being limited to defense for the current situation and not really under your control. a 20 PP pool for Variable would let you be completely immune to one "Very Common" descriptor. That could be him becoming fully immune to the current stimulus, with interim levels involving Partial Immunity to the last two descriptors he's experienced.

Adaption:
          Adaptation: Variable (Powers Suited to a Challenge), Reaction, Limited Choice of Powers, Limited (No Offensive Powers) 8 points per rank
          [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
          [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Working...
          X