Experimental Character Concepts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experimental Character Concepts

I'm just eager to put this character concept out there and see what you guys think. Feel free to add your own character ideas to this thread.

Also, if you could give advice for how I could put my power concepts into mechanics, that would be great.

A blind martial arts master that has a headband over his eyes with a eye design in the middle.
    Powers:
    - Remote Sensing (Sight): 5 ranks
    - Mind Strike: He can create invisible energy attacks that act like physical unarmed combat. (Usually standing still in fight with his arms crossed behind him, letting his mind strike do the combat.)
    - ‎Tactile Delayed Super Strength: Whenever he decides to use his actual limbs, with a simple touch, it acts as though he had struck the object or opponent with his super strength, however he can delay the damage and knock back effects of his super strength power indefinitely and initiate them at will.

Re: Experimental Character Concepts

Originally posted by Robin Goodfellow View Post
    - Remote Sensing (Sight): 5 ranks
    This one seems pretty straightforward, although if there's a total or partial emphasis on using it locally, Radius Vision seems appropriate. (Basically, don't limit his vision mechanically, just bundle the downsides of his blindness into a Complication. Like Daredevil, he can "see," but if he's disarming a bomb and is told to snip the blue wire, he might be in trouble.)

- Mind Strike: He can create invisible energy attacks that act like physical unarmed combat. (Usually standing still in fight with his arms crossed behind him, letting his mind strike do the combat.)
    I like this imagery! You could model it with simple Subtle Damage, possibly with a rank or two of Indirect to show he can strike those behind him. Then Subtle Enhanced Fighting for the close combat defense/attack.

- ‎Tactile Delayed Super Strength: Whenever he decides to use his actual limbs, with a simple touch, it acts as though he had struck the object or opponent with his super strength, however he can delay the damage and knock back effects of his super strength power indefinitely and initiate them at will.
    IIRC there's a feature in the Strength Power Profiles supplement that does exactly this, minus the delaying aspect. For the delay, I'd just make it a Feature and treat it like a use of rank-1 Homing where the attack "misses" on the round you activate it, but instead hits on the following round. Multiple ranks could allow for multiple rounds of delay, although you'd need to specify how many ranks you're using when activating the power.

I don't think I'd allow the effect to be delayed indefinitely. The closest I'd allow as a GM, would be to require it be Continuous Damage, with a Limitation that the effect only happens once in the future, whenever you choose to have it do so as a Free Action. There would also be caveats, with no pp refund or Complication involved: maybe a week max, still no stacking, and with some reasonably-simple way to cancel it. Yes, this adds 2pp/rank to the cost of the power, but that's probably close to a reasonable price for the extra utility this would provide, IMO.
    My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Mr-Smooth)?p=68608&viewfull=1#post68608]here[/url]. And, here's the latest version of [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Edge)?p=256421&viewfull=1#post256421]The Cast[/url].
    Currently playing in: [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/6868-Xenoforce-Earth-s-Strangest-Heroes-Recruiting-2-more-players][color=#d7af50]Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes[/color][/url].

Comment

The delay seems like it would be nicely handled with Triggered, although it would provide for the ability of a target to realize they'd been tagged and "disarm" the effect. What do you see as the in-world mechanics for providing such a delay?
      [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
      [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

@Rush
        That sounds like a reasonable delay limitation to me. It would be interesting to initiate it when they're sleeping or something.

Originally posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
        The delay seems like it would be nicely handled with Triggered, although it would provide for the ability of a target to realize they'd been tagged and "disarm" the effect. What do you see as the in-world mechanics for providing such a delay?
        - Perhaps use it as a Fail-Safe, in case you want a villain to play nice for a certain period of time.
        - ‎To move something while you're hanging on to it, as a form of a brief transportation.
        - ‎Imbue projectiles, such as pellets, or blow darts and initiate them in mid air.

I just thought of something. Any way to the delayed super strength travel to internal organs?
        Like the Five Point Palm Exploding Heart technique from the movie Kill-Bill 2, and the Dim Mak technique from Bloodsport.

Comment

@Rush
          That sounds like a reasonable delay limitation to me. It would be interesting to initiate it when they're sleeping or something.

Originally posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
          - Perhaps use it as a Fail-Safe, in case you want a villain to play nice for a certain period of time.
          - ‎To move something while you're hanging on to it, as a form of a brief transportation.
          - ‎Imbue projectiles, such as pellets, or blow darts and initiate them in mid air.

I just thought of something. Any way to the delayed super strength travel to internal organs?
          Like the Five Point Palm Exploding Heart technique from the movie Kill-Bill 2, and the Dim Mak technique from Bloodsport.

Comment

There are a few ways to model this. One is to attach ranks of Penetrating to the effect, to show it goes through armor. Another might be to give the technique the Alternate Save: Fortitude extra. This is based on the premise that if something is affecting your heart or innards, it's not really your toughness that defends against it.

It might not even be a directly damaging effect. Weaken (Toughness) or even Weaken (Stamina) might be an option; the technique simply makes the person easier to damage, and if it's strong enough (and the person's Toughness/Stamina is low enough) it could just kill them. The downside to this approach is that the effect would have to be fairly high-rank, as the total number of ranks the affected trait can be lowered by is capped to the ranks of the weakening effect.

An Affliction might also be appropriate as a non-damaging effect; in particular, its Transformed condition would provide a lot of flexibility as far as crafting the exact result for the target as you envision the power doing.
            My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Mr-Smooth)?p=68608&viewfull=1#post68608]here[/url]. And, here's the latest version of [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Edge)?p=256421&viewfull=1#post256421]The Cast[/url].
            Currently playing in: [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/6868-Xenoforce-Earth-s-Strangest-Heroes-Recruiting-2-more-players][color=#d7af50]Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes[/color][/url].

Comment

The first is Triggered on the Damage, although again, there has to be a way for the effect to be detected and countered. That's kind of what I meant about "mechanically". How does he do this?

As for the other two, those are Flight (Platform), or maybe Leaping, and Blast (Quirk: Requires Material), as separate powers.

[url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Hold on, wait just a minute here...!!!

So if I stack Penetrate with Weaken (Toughness) & Weaken (Stamina), I get a death attack?

Comment

So if I stack Penetrate with Weaken (Toughness) & Weaken (Stamina), I get a death attack?
                  From the SRD:
                  If one of your hero’s ability ranks drops below –5 for any reason, that ability is said to be debilitated and the character suffers more serious effects than just a penalty to certain traits and rolls, as follows:
                  Debilitated Stamina means the hero is dying, and suffers a –5 modifier on Fortitude checks to avoid death on top of it.
                  So, it's possible you might be able to get people down that low on a Weaken Stamina attack, but remember that Weaken reduces Power Points, not ranks, so for a target Stamina of 4, you would have to hit them with at least a Rank 20 Weaken Stamina and have them fail by 20 to get down to the -6 required. Even a baseline human with Stamina 0 is going to require Rank 12 Weaken.

Comment

You can seamlessly scout with your all-seeing eye through any point in time, across solar systems to different galaxies, and through the multiverse, blending and rearranging your material surroundings, making it seem like everything remained natural and unchanged.

Illuminati Displacement: Reaction Remote Sensing (Visual and Aural), Simultaneous, Subtle (Linked) Senses 4 (Vision Penetrates Concealment) (Linked) Teleport, Portal, Accurate, Space Travel, Time Travel, Dimension Travel, Insidious (Linked) Create, Continues, Innate, Movable, Selective, Stationary, Subtle • 29 Flat points + 14 points per rank.

But if you want to stay on one dimensional Earth only, you can knock off 18 Flat points from:

Space Travel 3 • 6 points
                    Time Travel 3 • 6 points
                    Dimension Travel 3 • 6 points

Obviously this power is for a higher power point game setting, almost costing 45 to even function, but even one rank in it can give a great advantage for your environment, such as...

- Make a fractal dimension portal, layering and distoring multiple dimensions into one, scattering all the molecules of whatever that goes through it.
                    - ‎Create a small habital planet using either your surrounding space, and/or peice's of other dimensions.
                    - ‎Separate a black hole into multiple parts through space and time.
                    - ‎Link the surface of the sun to any area you want to cosmically incinerate, and leave traces of highly active radiation.
                    - ‎Theoretically speaking, you've become a 10th dimensional being, able to create your own universe with your own natural laws and direct those laws anywhere, creating and disintigrating everything simultaneously.
                    - ‎Although you are still mortal and can die, you can be replaced by your other selves living in other points of time and dimensions, because your initial coming to being created an infinite number of lives.
                    - ‎If you really wanted to, you can call upon a couple of those infinite number of selves just by thinking about it and being in multiple places of your Earth at once.
                    - ‎You can even break the 4th wall and visit other RPG campaigns from other systems like D&D 5E, while using the M&M 3E rule system for yourself, causing havoc to the world of Greyhawk, decimating all the Elves and Halflings of the land, becoming the new Dark Lord of the Sith, because rules and settings no longer apply to you.
                    - ‎Even if your GM tells you that you can't make this character, you still can, because the thought of a GM officiating a character from spoken word is completely far-fetched and overthrown by the character that potentially created you and everyone else living in all universes.

But if you don't want to be so omnipotent, you can use your powers to...
                    - Peak inside the girls locker room.
                    - ‎Make a cheese sandwich from a parallel Earth's moon that's made out of cheese.
                    - ‎Make a toilet hole that leads to your last boss's front desk.
                    - ‎And other mundane scenarios...

Excuses for creating this character include:
                    - The character is 100% mortal
                    - ‎Can be shot, killed, mind controlled

Comment

You can seamlessly scout with your all-seeing eye through any point in time, across solar systems to different galaxies, and through the multiverse, blending and rearranging your material surroundings, making it seem like everything remained natural and unchanged.

Illuminati Displacement: Reaction Remote Sensing (Visual and Aural), Simultaneous, Subtle (Linked) Senses 4 (Vision Penetrates Concealment) (Linked) Teleport, Portal, Accurate, Space Travel, Time Travel, Dimension Travel, Insidious (Linked) Create, Continues, Innate, Movable, Selective, Stationary, Subtle • 29 Flat points + 14 points per rank.

But if you want to stay on one dimensional Earth only, you can knock off 18 Flat points from:

Space Travel 3 • 6 points
                      Time Travel 3 • 6 points
                      Dimension Travel 3 • 6 points

Obviously this power is for a higher power point game setting, almost costing 45 to even function, but even one rank in it can give a great advantage for your environment, such as...

- Make a fractal dimension portal, layering and distoring multiple dimensions into one, scattering all the molecules of whatever that goes through it.
                      - ‎Create a small habital planet using either your surrounding space, and/or peice's of other dimensions.
                      - ‎Separate a black hole into multiple parts through space and time.
                      - ‎Link the surface of the sun to any area you want to cosmically incinerate, and leave traces of highly active radiation.
                      - ‎Theoretically speaking, you've become a 10th dimensional being, able to create your own universe with your own natural laws and direct those laws anywhere, creating and disintigrating everything simultaneously.
                      - ‎Although you are still mortal and can die, you can be replaced by your other selves living in other points of time and dimensions, because your initial coming to being created an infinite number of lives.
                      - ‎If you really wanted to, you can call upon a couple of those infinite number of selves just by thinking about it and being in multiple places of your Earth at once.
                      - ‎You can even break the 4th wall and visit other RPG campaigns from other systems like D&D 5E, while using the M&M 3E rule system for yourself, causing havoc to the world of Greyhawk, decimating all the Elves and Halflings of the land, becoming the new Dark Lord of the Sith, because rules and settings no longer apply to you.
                      - ‎Even if your GM tells you that you can't make this character, you still can, because the thought of a GM officiating a character from spoken word is completely far-fetched and overthrown by the character that potentially created you and everyone else living in all universes.

But if you don't want to be so omnipotent, you can use your powers to...
                      - Peak inside the girls locker room.
                      - ‎Make a cheese sandwich from a parallel Earth's moon that's made out of cheese.
                      - ‎Make a toilet hole that leads to your last boss's front desk.
                      - ‎And other mundane scenarios...

Excuses for creating this character include:
                      - The character is 100% mortal
                      - ‎Can be shot, killed, mind controlled
                      Can you explain how this combination of powers achieve all the things you have listed here? I'm just not seeing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Vile View Post
                        Can you explain how this combination of powers achieve all the things you have listed here? I'm just not seeing it.
                        Agreed. I see a way to transport to any reality desired but creating worlds? Portals that blast an area with cosmic energy? Wouldn't that be a ranged damage effect with a portal descriptor? I'm not seeing it either honestly.

Comment

Certainly.

Cosmic Fire Blast: Since you have Space Travel movement power connected to Portals with the Accurate modifier, you can say "near the surface of the sun" and open up the other end of the portal to your designated area of incineration. Same concept would work with black holes.

Creating a planet: With Create connected with Portal, you make a dome around an area, people or things passing through the barriers inside the dome reach the other side, with Selective and Subtle 2 modifiers, you can make the dome area incorporeal and invisible to others. You can also create another portal layer (A) around the dome that connects all the edges together and forms into a ball on the other side (B), that with Selective modifier again, you can make it visible, but still incorporeal to whatever you want or don't want to go through.

Fractal portal of disintegration: With Create and Portal you can make a spiral line (or geometric lines) of Dimension Travel connected beside another spiral line of Dimension Travel, etc. Then you just spin the spiral lines with the Movable modifier, and whatever that passes through it gets it's pieces scattered throughout multiple dimensions.

10th Dimensional Being: Since with Dimension Travel 3 you can travel to "any" dimension, that means that technically you can travel to the 10th Dimension, meaning you can be anywhere, any time, and any dimension all simultaneously....let that sink in for a second...and given that you have portal powers with the Accurate modifier, you can essentially say in the 10th Dimension "I want to be wherever I call myself", then you can then summon yourself anywhere/anytime in your 3rd dimensions infinitely, just by subconsciously thinking about it.

I know you're gonna say, "It's all up to the GM what you can and can't do" but those are some of the Power Stunts that you could theoretically pull off.

Comment

Theoretically, you can get cartoonishly absurd with the "any" Dimension Travel, with "any" Time Travel portal with Accurate modifier linked with Create with the Selective modifier. Since dimensions also mean multiple realities with any number of possibilities.

"...uh, yeah..I want to create a sphere in the dimension that's made out of nothing but kryptonite gas, and then wrap a dome around Superman connected to the other side...alright, Johnny, get your machine gun ready, I'll allow your bullets to go though, but won't allow him to escape."

Comment

I think I'll just stop at the Cosmic Fire blast.
                              So you can open a portal, that's a teleportation effect, while space travel is movement, sure you could link them, but I don't see the point, you want a portal a few light minutes away, you buy enough ranks of teleport to get there, not just link it to a 1 point space travel power.
                              I'm not going to do the math.
                              Assuming you can open that portal, what happens ? Nothing. Your enemy does not step through and he can dodge if you somehow force the portal on him (movable ?) No, you don't get a damage effect for free on your teleport power. Power stunt it and make a perception range AE with the "portal" descriptor, damage is capped by PL, buy area if you want more damage.

I'm checking this forum for cool and fun build, mostly for NPCs so cost is not really an issue, but effect power is.
                              Last edited by Alderic78; 10th March 2018, 02:20 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                              X