Blink Teleport an Alternate Take

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blink Teleport an Alternate Take

After reading it's description I think there may be a better, less abusive way to look at Blink Teleport.

You teleport reflexively in response to imminent danger, allowing you to avoid any attack you can detect so long as your teleport distance takes you out of the affected area. Surprise attacks can still catch you off-guard, including those so Subtle you cannot detect them. This power tends to be low ranked, just enough to clear most areas.
    Blink Teleport: Reaction Teleport (Imminent Attack) • 5 points

After rereading the description I think it may be possible to see it as, rather than a catch all evasion against any attack, to instead be the ability to remove yourself from an AOE attack or (since it says Imminent attack on the trigger) a way to teleport away from Aimed or triggered attacks.
    [SIZE=2][FONT=comic sans ms][I][URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/7721-WAIFU-WARZ-Squirrelly-s-Anime-and-Animation-Builds"]I Build Waifus and Waifu Accessories![/URL][/I][/FONT][/SIZE]

Re: Blink Teleport an Alternate Take

No, pretty sure that Blink teleport worked as designed. A gun shot would still be an imminent attack, it would not have to be AOE. A stab with a knife is still an imminent attack until it connects. Of course an attacker with a high Stealth/Deception is one of the main weaknesses of the power as written. I can conceal my weapon, walk up to you in a crowd, and use it on you without you being aware of the attack and the teleport never goes off as long as you fail to detect it until it is too late.

Whether or not Blink Teleport as originally written is OP for a given campaign is a different issue.

im·mi·nent
    ˈimənənt/Submit
    adjective
    about to happen.
    "they were in imminent danger of being swept away"
    synonyms: impending, close (at hand), near, (fast) approaching, coming, forthcoming, on the way, in the offing, in the pipeline, on the horizon, in the air, just around the corner, coming down the pike, expected, anticipated, brewing, looming, threatening, menacing; informalin the cards
    "a ceasefire was imminent"
    Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
    [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1835-Digital-s-Daemons"]My character library[/URL]

Comment

Hard to see something that translates into "completely immune to attacks you can perceive" as not overpowered at that price. Especially since all you need to close that clause for the vast majority of attackers is Danger Sense.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalangel View Post
        No, pretty sure that Blink teleport worked as designed. A gun shot would still be an imminent attack, it would not have to be AOE. A stab with a knife is still an imminent attack until it connects. Of course an attacker with a high Stealth/Deception is one of the main weaknesses of the power as written. I can conceal my weapon, walk up to you in a crowd, and use it on you without you being aware of the attack and the teleport never goes off as long as you fail to detect it until it is too late.

Whether or not Blink Teleport as originally written is OP for a given campaign is a different issue.
        It's not just OP, it also breaks the other rules of the game. Specifically a power not granting mechanical effects other than what it says. It's why you can't suddenly punch through magic shields with only Magic Immunity and why you can't just buy Transmute Air to Anti-matter and have some sort of blast 20 AoE for just a couple points. There's also the fact that, mechanically, there's no difference in time between when an attack is launched and when it lands. It can be instantaneous or take the full 6 seconds of the round. I mean, technically it takes some billiionths of a second for a laser to exit a machine and strike something so I guess that counts as an Immanent attack.

They way you interpret the way it's written breaks not only the spirit of the game and the rules as written but also requires logic jumps the level of a newbie DnD player just discovering Peasant Railroads, Squirrel Grappling, and Polymorphing Fairies for the first time. Instead by using a more well understood concept of imminent, that is not "Anywhere between Instantaneous and the End of Time", we get a much more balanced power that is both legal by the rules but also more inline with similar defensive abilities from the same book.
        [SIZE=2][FONT=comic sans ms][I][URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/7721-WAIFU-WARZ-Squirrelly-s-Anime-and-Animation-Builds"]I Build Waifus and Waifu Accessories![/URL][/I][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

Blink Teleport as-printed confers near-perfect immunity to Close attacks, as well somewhat more conditional but still absurdly effective immunity to any Ranged or Perception attack that can't fire through obstacles. This is even assuming that the enemy can freely retarget their attack to your new square post-teleport.
          If you nitpick what "imminent" means the powergamer will just use less ambiguous language. You can't win by playing the "yes but no" game, you just have to say "no, pay for the immunity".

There's certainly ways, mainly changing the trigger, to make it sane. But really, if it's supposed to be Immunity: AoE, then just buy Immunity: AoE with the appropriate flaws and descriptors.

Comment

The power as written is OP as hell, no doubt. At least in regards to defense against most attacks.

It also has 1 major drawback for a hero to take it. All the villain has to do is launch one attack at you and you are teleported away from the scene, and you become fairly useless in stopping the villain, especially if you take this power at high levels where it can take a while to get back in the fight without other movement powers.

As a GM, I would force the power as written to act as uncontrolled in which direction you teleport and always use max distance just to build in a weakness to such an OP power. And no, I would not let the player take any discount or grant HPs for that flaw in the power.

I tend to draw hard line at character creation with players that feel are power gamers in my games. Sometimes one slips past you, especially if you have not played with that person before. In that case, at low ranks, AOE attacks or even many Perception attacks are a work around for Blink Teleport. Even if the villain cannot successfully attack the hero, you can neutralize them in other ways (take hostages, flee and come back better prepared next time, etc.) by having the villain basically play smart. At high levels, well then the GM can get nasty in return if the power gaming warrants it. Oh you have rank X Blink Teleport, hope you also have a ton of environmental immunities for when you end up teleporting yourself under water, into space, into a desert or the arctic, etc.
            Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
            [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1835-Digital-s-Daemons"]My character library[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by digitalangel View Post
              The power as written is OP as hell, no doubt. At least in regards to defense against most attacks.

It also has 1 major drawback for a hero to take it. All the villain has to do is launch one attack at you and you are teleported away from the scene, and you become fairly useless in stopping the villain, especially if you take this power at high levels where it can take a while to get back in the fight without other movement powers.
              A bunch of assumptions here; first that the range of the teleport is big enough for that to be a problem (a few ranks will get you out of the area of most attacks but hardly put you off the scene), and second that you don't have a movement power big enough to get back (most characters will have a decent movement power anyway for other reasons).

Comment

>It also has 1 major drawback for a hero to take it. All the villain has to do is launch one attack at you and you are teleported away from the scene, and you become fairly useless in stopping the villain, especially if you take this power at high levels where it can take a while to get back in the fight without other movement powers.
                Rank 1 is only 60ft, but is enough to dodge any +1 PP/R Area other than Perception and can break LOE against most everything else assuming you're not fighting in a featureless white void. Likewise, adding normal Teleport 1 to be able to "unblink" back would cost a whopping 2 PP, trivially affordable. Nobody will be removed from the fight by their own teleport without a "You lose because I say so" complication.

>As a GM, I would force the power as written to act as uncontrolled in which direction you teleport and always use max distance just to build in a weakness to such an OP power. And no, I would not let the player take any discount or grant HPs for that flaw in the power.
                The power as written does not have the Uncontrolled flaw. Even WITH the Uncontrolled flaw you describe, it'd still be gamebreakingly OP so w/e you fixed nothing. The correct fix is to Just Say No.

>at low ranks, AOE attacks or even many Perception attacks are a work around for Blink Teleport.
                No they aren't, unless your fights occur in aforementioned featureless white voids. Solid objects block most everything.

>Even if the villain cannot successfully attack the hero, you can neutralize them in other ways (take hostages, flee and come back better prepared next time, etc.) by having the villain basically play smart.
                The Invincible Blinking Man is no worse off in such situations than his party-members, but still invincible when combat occurs. He may in fact be better if he has teleportation powers, since those tend to be able to negate most hostage/fleeing situations.

>At high levels, well then the GM can get nasty in return if the power gaming warrants it. Oh you have rank X Blink Teleport, hope you also have a ton of environmental immunities for when you end up teleporting yourself under water, into space, into a desert or the arctic, etc.
                You don't need high ranks, see above.

Comment

Isn`t the problem with this power the same problem as a high powered speedster ?

Sufficient ranks of Speed, the Advantage of Move By Attack and a damage effect can be just as OP as the Blink Teleport, no?
                  Run in, hit, run out of range. Repeat. Effectively never get hit. Heck, even 4 ranks of Speed with Move-By Action is sufficient to make you virtually untouchable (which is 5 points, the cost of one rank of Blink Teleport).
                  [QUOTE=Enigmatic One;178799][FONT=Verdana]Note to self, get Bruce and his Bat-force to take this one.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[URL="https://www.dropbox.com/s/0m9d5ob31w5pfjw/Earth%20218.pdf?dl=0"]Earth 218 - JLA Academy Setting[/URL]
                  [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/28-Blade-s-Third-Edition-Builds?p=109&viewfull=1#post109"]Blade's Builds[/URL]

[URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1554-The-Merge-3E-(OOC)?p=124944#post124944"]The Merge Character Sheet Lists[/URL]
                  [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/4284-The-Merge-Cosmic-Quandaries-3e-Interest-check?p=167246&viewfull=1#post167246"]The Cosmic Merge Character Sheet List[/URL]

Comment

Not at all. A move-by leaves you open to readied actions unless you've got a range advantage and the terrain and room to abuse it.
                    Blink Teleport works just as well against readied actions.

Come to think of it, a way to make Blink Teleport less stupid would be to treat it (or build it) as a Reaction Nullify: Get the countering rules involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Nunya B View Post
                      Not at all. A move-by leaves you open to readied actions unless you've got a range advantage and the terrain and room to abuse it.
                      Blink Teleport works just as well against readied actions.

Come to think of it, a way to make Blink Teleport less stupid would be to treat it (or build it) as a Reaction Nullify: Get the countering rules involved.
                      If you're going to be rebuilding the power itself why not just switch the trigger to a successful dodge? Or just ignore the flavor text and have the teleport completely unrelated to dodging? Someone shoots and whether or not you get hit you poof out to somewhere else.

Comment

Good point.

I actually used (abused I`d say!) Move-By and Hide in Plain sight, for two points plus a wicked Stealth score my character was almost untouchable. But that`s another problem/ discussion.
                        [QUOTE=Enigmatic One;178799][FONT=Verdana]Note to self, get Bruce and his Bat-force to take this one.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[URL="https://www.dropbox.com/s/0m9d5ob31w5pfjw/Earth%20218.pdf?dl=0"]Earth 218 - JLA Academy Setting[/URL]
                        [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/28-Blade-s-Third-Edition-Builds?p=109&viewfull=1#post109"]Blade's Builds[/URL]

[URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1554-The-Merge-3E-(OOC)?p=124944#post124944"]The Merge Character Sheet Lists[/URL]
                        [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/4284-The-Merge-Cosmic-Quandaries-3e-Interest-check?p=167246&viewfull=1#post167246"]The Cosmic Merge Character Sheet List[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Bladewind View Post
                          Isn`t the problem with this power the same problem as a high powered speedster ?

Sufficient ranks of Speed, the Advantage of Move By Attack and a damage effect can be just as OP as the Blink Teleport, no?
                          No. First off, you can defeat that trick with a Ready action; it ties up someone to do it, but it works fine. Secondly, all the side working against the speedster really needs is someone with a movement power within one rank of the speedster to engage with him. Neither of those is nearly as uncommon intrinsically as the things needed to negate a blink teleporter using the rules as written.

Comment

Originally posted by Bladewind View Post
                            Good point.

I actually used (abused I`d say!) Move-By and Hide in Plain sight, for two points plus a wicked Stealth score my character was almost untouchable. But that`s another problem/ discussion.
                            Yeah, that's closer to the issues with Concealment abuse.

Comment

Honestly, the easiest way to treat something rationalized as blink teleport is just buy Enhanced Dodge and Parry with that as the descriptor. But of course that isn't as reliable and doesn't let you end-run PL, so its not as attractive.

Comment

Working...
                              X