Fantasy Grounds GMs & Players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fantasy Grounds GMs & Players

I've been getting conflicting reports on if this is worth the money or not and I'm really confused. I don't know what to do since, in many ways, it sounds excellent (especially how it automates so much of the combat and conditions stuff, I'm knew and a lot of that still confuses me) but then a lot of my onlines players say that's not worth the cost.

I really don't know what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by libra113 View Post
      I've been getting conflicting reports on if this is worth the money or not and I'm really confused. I don't know what to do since, in many ways, it sounds excellent (especially how it automates so much of the combat and conditions stuff, I'm knew and a lot of that still confuses me) but then a lot of my onlines players say that's not worth the cost.

I really don't know what to do.
      Well, I think it might depend on the updated version. The original was serviceable, but it didn't handle everything. For example, the original ruleset did not handle area affect powers built (meaning no automation). It did not automate things like regeneration. You could enter power frameworks like Alternate powers but it did not enforce rules regarding only one alternate at a time. It also didn't realy automate powers that have progressive effects based on how the save went (aka; how many steps the save missed or succeeded by). The effects section was very limited in comparison to other rulesets such as D&D 5e.

With all that being said, it was still a fairly nice first attempt. Is did facilitate tracking the game/character state, and did provide automation for more straight forward actions such as a normal attack. It did know the appropriate save to roll for the defender, and allowed you to define a different save for a power when building it if it was different from the base save. It isn't that expensive, especially if you already own Fantasy Grounds.

Bottom line, you will need to know the rules to use it correctly, but it does help facilitate a game nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by Drakos View Post
        Well, I think it might depend on the updated version. The original was serviceable, but it didn't handle everything. For example, the original ruleset did not handle area affect powers built (meaning no automation). It did not automate things like regeneration. You could enter power frameworks like Alternate powers but it did not enforce rules regarding only one alternate at a time. It also didn't realy automate powers that have progressive effects based on how the save went (aka; how many steps the save missed or succeeded by). The effects section was very limited in comparison to other rulesets such as D&D 5e.

With all that being said, it was still a fairly nice first attempt. Is did facilitate tracking the game/character state, and did provide automation for more straight forward actions such as a normal attack. It did know the appropriate save to roll for the defender, and allowed you to define a different save for a power when building it if it was different from the base save. It isn't that expensive, especially if you already own Fantasy Grounds.

Bottom line, you will need to know the rules to use it correctly, but it does help facilitate a game nicely.
        Thank you. I'm still kind of new and have been running a few games on Roll20. Sometimes (as a vetern GM is other systems but new to this one) some of the detail tracking tends to get overwealming so it would be nice to have something that auto piolet at least some of this stuff so I can focus more on role playing the various NPCs and that actual role-playing stuff, at least until I get used to things and get it down. I don't have any of it yet but the monthly fees do seem pretty reasonable. Should I wait for the update to be released or jump in now so I have a headstart? I should also note that I have at least one player who is strongly advising against it but I haven't gotten to her reasons yet.

Comment

Originally posted by libra113 View Post
          Thank you. I'm still kind of new and have been running a few games on Roll20. Sometimes (as a vetern GM is other systems but new to this one) some of the detail tracking tends to get overwealming so it would be nice to have something that auto piolet at least some of this stuff so I can focus more on role playing the various NPCs and that actual role-playing stuff, at least until I get used to things and get it down. I don't have any of it yet but the monthly fees do seem pretty reasonable. Should I wait for the update to be released or jump in now so I have a headstart? I should also note that I have at least one player who is strongly advising against it but I haven't gotten to her reasons yet.
          Well, as for the "get it now or wait for the update" I hesitate to say. I don't know what issues I mentioned above might be resolved with the update. I don't even know if the new one is built on the backbone if the old ruleset or if it is a stand alone implementation. If it is built as a estension, then you will need to have the original ruleset to update, if it is stand alone, then you won't need the prior ruleset. Also, I don't know how long before the new ruleset will be released.

On the other hand, we are going into holiday season and things tend to go on sale around this time. I personally don't pay the subscription, I bought the ultimate license outright instead (actually I did that years ago before they had a subscription option but I would have still just bought it instead of rent ).

I'm not sure what your players concerns are, but I for one think the FG is an excellent utility. It took some convincing for my group, nut now we use it heavily in or face to face D&D 5e and V:tM games and everyone agrees that it is worth it. It drastically speeds up the battle portions and helps us remember the game state even after months away from the campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by Drakos View Post
            Well, as for the "get it now or wait for the update" I hesitate to say. I don't know what issues I mentioned above might be resolved with the update. I don't even know if the new one is built on the backbone if the old ruleset or if it is a stand alone implementation. If it is built as a estension, then you will need to have the original ruleset to update, if it is stand alone, then you won't need the prior ruleset. Also, I don't know how long before the new ruleset will be released.

On the other hand, we are going into holiday season and things tend to go on sale around this time. I personally don't pay the subscription, I bought the ultimate license outright instead (actually I did that years ago before they had a subscription option but I would have still just bought it instead of rent ).

I'm not sure what your players concerns are, but I for one think the FG is an excellent utility. It took some convincing for my group, nut now we use it heavily in or face to face D&D 5e and V:tM games and everyone agrees that it is worth it. It drastically speeds up the battle portions and helps us remember the game state even after months away from the campaign.
            Sounds like the best option is to wait and see. If a good sell comes along I can check it out but ideally wait and see if the new release is an update or a stand alone. I think I would rather do a subcription, at least at first, then lay out a bunch of money and find out/decide I don't like it.

I don't know what her issue is. I've posted asking but haven't heard anything back. What she has said is she finds Roll20 good enough and it's either free or cheap (depending on what options you use).

For me FG sounds good because it seem automate a lot of stuff and, as a new G.M. to this game, being able to automate as much as possible is appealing as I know things are kind of bumpy right now, as I figure things out, and the role playing side for my NPCs (something I'm useally really good at) is suffering.

We're having a game Sunday so I may ask her then. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Any update on when this updated ruleset will be available?

Comment

Well, another year (and then some) has passed... and still no sign of this new implementation of the M&M 3E rules for Fantasy Grounds. I this still a thing, or has it been abandoned? It sounded to close to release in October of '17.

Comment

Have you looked at the Fantasy Grounds website?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...id=GRR5501eFG2
                  ALL HAIL THE SPAM-O-MATIC!

Comment

That is the old module. In this thread there was hope for a newer one that was based on the FG 3.x, not 2.9.

Comment

Originally posted by jmucchiello View Post
                      That is the old module. In this thread there was hope for a newer one that was based on the FG 3.x, not 2.9.
                      Try emailing Fantasy Grounds. It's not our project, it's theirs.
                      ALL HAIL THE SPAM-O-MATIC!

Comment

Dude, read the thread. There was a poster who hasn't posted in two years now who was working on a new M&M module. That is why people are lamenting that there's still no word. He did not work for FG.

Comment

I tracked down Sunspoticus. He's moved on to other things and M&M for FG is a back burner project. He's apparently been playing a lot of Modiphius' Star Trek.

Comment

Working...
                          X