Most Wanted Metacriminals?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Wanted Metacriminals?

I've had a vague idea for a campaign, where the players are a team brought together by the local SHIELD/AEGIS/Stormwatch-homage to hunt down their world's top ten most wanted metacriminals/supervillains, letting the heroes be the proactive ones for a change. I'm thinking the initiative would be "SHIELD's" way of getting good press after a recent failure or restoring public confidence, to secure funding.

Anyway, I've been trying to come up with at least a vague of idea of who these top ten supervillains should be and who they should represent. I'm picturing this campaign being a little more WildStorm/Ultimate Marvel than mainline DC/Marvel, more focus on government supers than independent teams, but it's not an Iron Age kill-fest. The heroes would be trying to arrest these guys, not assassinate them.

I'm trying to draw ideas both from appropriate villains from the comics, as well as more "real world" types of criminals. Some of the ideas I have so far are:

-A mutant supremacist ala Magneto
    -The world's greatest master thief (drawing influence from Black Cat/Catwoman/Magpie/etc. but also Arsene Lupin and the like)
    -The world's greatest assassin
    -A drug cartel leader (one of the more realistic ones, but perhaps similar to a Kingpin-type character)
    -A super-science arms dealer
    -A Cold War-era super soldier who wants to start it up again
    -As a sort of "final boss," a Doctor Doom-esque armored megalomaniac dictator. Since he runs his own nation he has diplomatic immunity and isn't officially on the list, but with the public behind them at the end of the campaign the characters would be allowed to make a run at him (probably after they find evidence connecting some of the other Top Ten to him, or maybe even some of the Top Ten escape to his country if the players screw up)

Any other idea for appropriate "types" of supervillains for the group to be sent after? I'm more interested in background and motivations than exact powers, since that can come afterwards.

Re: Most Wanted Metacriminals?

This is a fantastic idea. I might have to steal it at some point in the future.

I think you have a good roster already planned; basically you can just go through the villain archetypes.

Maybe you can do a real old school villain. Has been in prison for a really long time, used to tussle with the legends. He's out now, and since no one has dealt with him in ages, maybe he's stronger than they expect (a silver age villain basically).

Maybe have a villain whose not neccessarily bad, but powers are dangerous to everyone near them. Therefore, they were put in prison to protect everyone (complication: it's not their fault, and they would love to not have their powers at all)

Maybe a alien or space villain, who might have fled the planet entirely (if it fits with the setting). Alternatively, they could be a would-be-conqueror.

Comment

Depending on how gritty your campaign is, you could readily include in there the freedom fighter, someone who's only designated a criminal because he opposes a corrupt regime being propped up by the PCs' government or the person who's committed no crime except opposing an unjust law. That said, you could probably also have some fun with the target being the leader of a corrupt regime with the PC government turning a blind eye so long as the PCs don't get caught extraditing the fellow for his crimes.
      [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
      [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

just random ideas 1.a master of disguise who tries to frame the heroes for lots of stuff and sow distrust in the team 2.a mindless force of nature eg godzilla type 3. a high ranking government official of the heroes home country who is secretly a bad guy (hail hydra tm) 4. an innocent kid who has nightmares come to life type powers so big threat but can't hurt the poor kid. 5. mind controlling hive mind alien race. 6. a fan club of wanna be heroes who get in the way and cause all sorts of accidental complications.

Comment

Your list is very interesting, and as Caniswolfman said, I might stealing too :P

Another one you can add is an abomination or monster wich escapes from a Goverment Scientific Secret Project, perhaps the same agency as the heroes.

You can make the abomination a relative of one player, or maybe the daughter of a scientific which is a friend of one member of the team.

Something like Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde/Banner/Hulk
          "Nothing is more painful than the betrayal of an angel"

Comment

If you want to get dark with it, one of your villains could be the alien head of a human trafficking organisation the kidnaps people to be sold in off-world black markets for whatever horrible purposes an extra-terrestrial might want live humans -- e.g. slave labour, sex trade, illegal delicacy, egg incubation.

I also like the idea of a superhero group going after someone attempting to effect real, positive change, but who's going about it in a way that frightens people. Like if you had one of those ridiculously rich characters -- I originally thought this would be a cool plot for a Green Arrow comic, but it wouldn't necessarily have to a superhero -- who was paying a group of powered characters, mostly villains, with plant, earth, water, cold, and weather powers. They'd be growing crops in barren regions to feed people, reforesting clear cut rain forest, establishing irrigation channels and wells, building up the polar ice caps, all the time scaring the hell out of the powers that be. Most of the villains would doing it just for a paycheck -- the Weather Wizards and Captain Colds who figure why rob a bank and risk a superpowered punch to the face when this bleeding heart hippie is willing to pay them? -- but a few could be like Poison Ivy or Jason Woodrue; genuinely scary people who'd be more likely to commit genocide than help people if not for something their benefactor was offering. Some of the villains could be archenemies of characters on the hero team, giving them a reason to be biased against the endeavour.
            Punching For Justice

Comment

Originally posted by Caniswolfman View Post
              This is a fantastic idea. I might have to steal it at some point in the future.

Maybe you can do a real old school villain. Has been in prison for a really long time, used to tussle with the legends. He's out now, and since no one has dealt with him in ages, maybe he's stronger than they expect (a silver age villain basically)...

Maybe a alien or space villain, who might have fled the planet entirely (if it fits with the setting). Alternatively, they could be a would-be-conqueror.
              First off, thanks! Second, those two are good ideas. I like the Silver Age veteran, and I can't believe I forgot an alien. Having them launched into space, maybe having some jurisdiction issues with the local Green Lantern would be fun.

Originally posted by rlwr View Post
              just random ideas 1.a master of disguise who tries to frame the heroes for lots of stuff and sow distrust in the team 2.a mindless force of nature eg godzilla type 3. a high ranking government official of the heroes home country who is secretly a bad guy (hail hydra tm) 4. an innocent kid who has nightmares come to life type powers so big threat but can't hurt the poor kid. 5. mind controlling hive mind alien race. 6. a fan club of wanna be heroes who get in the way and cause all sorts of accidental complications.
              A master of disguise/shapeshifter could be fun, especially because he could be the one impersonating a government official.

Originally posted by Hellhound View Post
              Your list is very interesting, and as Caniswolfman said, I might stealing too :P

Another one you can add is an abomination or monster wich escapes from a Goverment Scientific Secret Project, perhaps the same agency as the heroes.

You can make the abomination a relative of one player, or maybe the daughter of a scientific which is a friend of one member of the team.

Something like Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde/Banner/Hulk
              The Hulk is great for this, you're right. Perhaps more Abomination than Hulk, since I am aiming for these to be mostly villainous villains.

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
              If you want to get dark with it, one of your villains could be the alien head of a human trafficking organisation the kidnaps people to be sold in off-world black markets for whatever horrible purposes an extra-terrestrial might want live humans -- e.g. slave labour, sex trade, illegal delicacy, egg incubation.

I also like the idea of a superhero group going after someone attempting to effect real, positive change, but who's going about it in a way that frightens people. Like if you had one of those ridiculously rich characters -- I originally thought this would be a cool plot for a Green Arrow comic, but it wouldn't necessarily have to a superhero -- who was paying a group of powered characters, mostly villains, with plant, earth, water, cold, and weather powers. They'd be growing crops in barren regions to feed people, reforesting clear cut rain forest, establishing irrigation channels and wells, building up the polar ice caps, all the time scaring the hell out of the powers that be. Most of the villains would doing it just for a paycheck -- the Weather Wizards and Captain Colds who figure why rob a bank and risk a superpowered punch to the face when this bleeding heart hippie is willing to pay them? -- but a few could be like Poison Ivy or Jason Woodrue; genuinely scary people who'd be more likely to commit genocide than help people if not for something their benefactor was offering. Some of the villains could be archenemies of characters on the hero team, giving them a reason to be biased against the endeavour.
              I really like the idea of an alien heading a crime syndicate. It would be a fun alternative to the usual alien invader type. Although, a figure like the New 52 Steppenwolf would be interesting too (for anyone who didn't read Earth 2, and I've stopped myself, he was the leader of a defeated invasion from Apokalips there and spent the following years hiding out in countries that wanted to say "screw you" to the UN in exchange for arming them with alien tech).

As for the idea of someone attempting positive change in a way that scares people... maybe. That might be getting too morally gray for this particular idea (not that I don't like it). I realize this idea can be done different ways, but my preference would be for the targets to mostly be actually evil people with ill-intentions. The idea of the taking down the Top Ten list may be politically motivated by 'SHIELD' saying "We need to justify that Helicarrier budget right about now," but the act of arresting these guys should be mostly unambiguously beneficial. It's still an attempt at a campaign where the heroes are doing something rather than resting on their laurels, waiting for Dr. Doom to show up in Times Square with the army of Doombots.

That said, twisting it a bit so that they are superpowered eco-terrorists, perhaps both restoring natural environments while also committing attacks on companies and the like, would perhaps fit my intentions a bit more.

Comment

Perhaps an evil sorcerer type? Although my first thought is that usually magic is pooh-poohed by everyone who doesn't actively use it (The Veil Is Drawn or some such), but it might be interesting if the character is assumed to be the "normal" in charge of the "supers" (monsters) who have appeared at various high-profile things. That way, he's treated like a normal or someone with summoning, but he (or she) has never been caught because, duh, actual magic powers; he-or-she just prefers to work through intermediaries because, hey, don't want to get captured.
                Some M&M stuff at my blog, [URL="http://jhmcmullen.blogspot.ca"][i]Iconic Energy[/i][/URL], but mostly [i]ICONS[/i]

Comment

Working...
                X