Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Home of House Rules

Hi All,

I've seen many of you mention house rules that you have, some that are small changes and others that are almost overhauls. I'd like to get a collection of everyone's house rules, tested or hypothetical, and list them here for perusal.

If you post your houserule in the thread I'll try to link to your post from a list here. Feel free to discuss houserules with everyone.

Reminder: House rules are optional. I've seen conversations get testy on them, however, so if you disagree with one that's fine. There is no need to argue aggressively about something you do not intend to use.

So, what are your House Rules?

House Rules
    SilvercatMoonpaw's House Rules:

Madwand's House Rules

Betterwatchit's 2E houserules

Common
    Skill Points cost 3PP/rank.

General
    The Table of Doom/Critical Errors: Pardum
    0- 50: Your attack misses, with no further penalty
    50- 80: Your attack misses, and you only have one action next round
    81- 90: Your attack misses, and you cannot act the next round
    91- 95: Your attack misses and hits you, causing you have to resist against the effect of your attack
    96- 100: Something catastrophic happens, which results with conditions opposed upon you, depending on the environment, with a 99 or 100 usually meaning you fall unconscious
    Toughness Overhaul: Nillaman
    Breaking Through Cover: Sometimes a character might want to crash through a wall to get to a target. Other times they might want to shoot through glass. In those cases the following rule applies. If your damage bonus exceeds the target cover's toughness by 10 then you can shoot through the cover. In most cases this requires a damage shifted attack or a power attack. Hypervirtue
    Evading Area Attacks Completely: When making a dodge check against area attacks, succeeding by 3, or more, degrees of success negates the need to resist the effect. It was considered completely evaded. Hypervirtue
    Power Lifting Challenges: Strength, and effects like Move Object, act as modifiers for Challenges when it comes to moving huge amounts of weight. Circumstance bonuses and penalties apply to these checks as normal. Nillaman
    Excellent attack rolls give you "boosts": When you succeed by 2 degrees or more, you gain a boost. A boost can be spent to increase or decrease a roll by +/-2. Taken from FATE Rev. Pee Kitty

Maneuvers
    Only one stat modifying advantage at a time; multiple can be used simultaneously once per combat- Crinos
    Teamwork: All characters must have this advantage to use it, and have similar training Hahn
    Power Attack: 2 ranks. Rank 1 allows -2/+2. Rank 2 allows -5/+5 but requires a Hero Point for power stunt to use. Hahn

Abilities
    Remove Fighting-SilvercatMoonpaw
    Confidence Boost: Make a Confidence (Presence + ranks in Drive feat) check against DC 10 + 5 per previous check this adventure. Success allows emulate Heroic Feat, Instant Counter, Recover functions of a Hero Point.-SilvercatMoonpaw
    Dexterity: Parry defense, for avoiding close attacks. Sleight of Hand and Vehicle skill checks. Feats of fine coordination and precision when a specific skill doesn't apply. Nillaman
    Fighting: Attack checks for close attacks. Attack checks for ranged attacks. Nillaman

Defenses
    Combine Dodge and Parry into one stat- SilvercatMoonpaw
    Toughness Bonus may be bought directly- SilvercatMoonpaw

Attacks
    Combine Ranged and Close combat into one stat
    -1PP per rank of combined stat SilvercatMoonpaw
    For every +2 points an attack beats a target's defense, increase DC of effect by +1 Baron
    Grab: opposed checks are with lifting strength and unarmed attack bonus, plus any Close Combat: Grab ranks- Narsil

Conditions
    Slowed: Halve speed ranks (round down), to a minimum reduction of -1 to speed rank. Replaces Hindered (because I keep renaming it "Hampered".)- SilvercatMoonpaw
    Fatigued: -1 speed rank and attack/skill checks, cannot run or charge.- SilvercatMoonpaw
    Prone: Slowed and Impaired. SilvercatMoonpaw
    Vulnerable: -5 rather than half.- SilvercatMoonpaw

Skills
    Freeform Skills- SilvercatMoonpaw
    Ability-less skills: The most relevant ability score is used, instead of set bonuses Danelsan
    Defenses as Skills:Part of Madwand's rules, defenses cost 1 PP per 2 ranks, meaning maxed out defenses and tougness are equal for all characters, regardless of shift Madwand
    Synergies: Allow ranks of expertise to allow bonuses to other checks when applicable rlwr

Advantages
    Luck: Also allows Edit Scene -SilvercatMoonpaw
    Jack of All Trades: Does not apply to Expertise Skills - SilvercatMoonpaw
    New Feat: Drive: You gain +1 per rank on Confidence Boost checks.SilvercatMoonpaw
    Brace For Attack: Flat: As a free action a character, on their turn, may take a penalty of up to -5 to their Defenses (Dodge and Parry), to gain +5 to their Toughness save until their next turn. Hypervirtue
    Unpredictable: Ranked: Whenever a character with this advantage uses a Feint or Bluff in combat, reduce the penalty for multiple attempts per encounter by 1 for each rank of this Advantage. Hypervirtue
    Young: Flat: Your character is still a kid, or looks enough like one anyway. Whenever interacting with teenagers and kids gain a +4 circumstance bonus on persuasion checks. Alternatively whenever attempting to intimidate adults suffer a -2 penalty. Hypervirtue
    Rhythm of Combat: Flat: Your character may spend a standard action in combat, this reaps the benefits of taking a defensive action, in order to re-roll their initiative. Hypervirtue
    Honorable Reputation: Flat: Your character is well known for being honorable and truthful, as such they gain a +2 circumstance bonus when attempting to convince someone that you are telling the truth however you gain this bonus when your character genuinely is telling the truth. Hypervirtue
    Will of Iron: Flat: Once per adventure, if your character is incapacitated, he or she can re-roll the save that resulted in being incapacitated by using their Will save in place of their Toughness save. Hypervirtue
    Expertise: Characters may choose one category per rank in this Advantage and grant a +5 Circumstance Bonus on check which benefit from such greater than average knowledge, as determined by the GM. Nillaman

Powers
    Environment (Impede Movement): 1pp/rank version reduces speed by half ranks or -1 whichever is higher. 2pp/rank version reduces speed by 1/4 rank or -2.SilvercatMoonpaw
    Flight: Flight is now rank - 2.SilvercatMoonpaw
    Grow/Shrink:
    Growth and Shrinking without modifiers may be taken as Features, up to two ranks of size change per rank of Feature.SilvercatMoonpaw
    Immunity (aging): not needed to apply to normal aging SilvercatMoonpaw
    Immunity (Fortitude): Immunity 20 (biologic effects) rather than Immunity 30 (Fortitude) + No Stamina to represent being non-living.SilvercatMoonpaw
    Immunity (Will): not allowed by creatures with self-will SilvercatMoonpaw
    Environmental Adaption: 1PP/rank SilvercatMoonpaw
    Regeneration: Regen count starts on first round of combat Bladewind
    Teleport:Extended: You can take two move actions to make an extended teleport, which has a distance rank equal to your effect rank +8, or twice your effect rank, whichever is higher. You are dazed and vulnerable for one round after an extended teleport. +1 cost per rank Narsil
    Transform: The amount of mass you can alter is now equal to your Transform rank, rather than your Transform rank -6. - Narsil
    Impervious: Impervious is a 2 pp/Rank extra, Impervious must be linked to a specific resistance trait and may not exceed that trait.
    Characters with impervious automatically (no need to roll) resist any effect (that targets the trait) equal to or less than the rank of impervious. Hypervirtue
    Perception Range Attacks and Special Senses: Unless a character has indirect any Perception Range Attacks must still have a line of effect toward the target. Things that can block the line of effect include any target that can be affected by the attack. Hypervirtue

Modifiers
    Limited to Vision: Built as quirk SilvercatMoonpaw
    Attack: You can raise the DC on the Attack extra separate from the power's rank.SilvercatMoonpaw
    Impervious Toughness: Impervious now works as follows: your Impervious + 10 is the lowest total result you can get on any Toughness check.SilvercatMoonpaw
    Perception Range: not allowed on any effect with a descriptor of originating from the character unless they are also Sense-Dependent.SilvercatMoonpaw
    Affects Insubstantial: Affects Insubstantial rank 1 can EITHER cause 1/2 effect OR affect only rank 1 and 2 Insubstantial at full. SilvercatMoonpaw
    Penetrating: Every +3 penetrating exceeds impervious, you gain +1 Improved Crit. Max of +3 ranks SilvercatMoonpaw
    Area: Updates to how area works Narsil
    Attack: +1 point per rank to both use as an attack and normal at same time Narsil
    Impervious:Ignore effects with ranks less than your toughness Narsil
    Penetrating:Reduce target's ranks of impervious by your penetrating rank. Does not automatically inflict damage.Narsil
    Split: reduce effective rank of power by 2; each target is now affected by the new effect rank equally (damage 10 becomes two damage 8 effects) Narsil
    Modifiers
    Strength-based Damage: Removed from the game. All weapons listed as Strength-based in the Equipment section instead carry equal ranks of Damage. Nillaman
    Affliction (Advanced Degree): Allows a target to be affected by the 2nd stage of afflction instead of the first on a failure. Narsil
    Summon (Multiple Minions): Cost is changed to a flat +1 point per rank.Narsil
    Last edited by Caniswolfman; 4th August 2014, 01:49 PM.

Re: The Home of House Rules

Additionally, if you already have a post about your house rules, please provide me the link. This way, people can visit your thread to see discussions about it and add their 2 cents.

Comment

Attack and Defense
      Attack and Defense (referred to as Dodge) become 1pp/rank traits. There is no division into Close and Ranged.

Abilities:
      Fighting is no longer used.
      Dodge is based off Agility. Attack is based off Dexterity.

Slowed: Halve speed ranks (round down), to a minimum reduction of -1 to speed rank. Replaces Hindered (because I keep renaming it "Hampered".)
      Fatigued: -1 speed rank and attack/skill checks, cannot run or charge.
      Prone: Slowed + Impaired.
      Vulnerable: -5 rather than half.

Confidence Boost: Make a Confidence (Presence + ranks in Drive feat) check against DC 10 + 5 per previous check this adventure. Success allows emulate Heroic Feat, Instant Counter, Recover functions of a Hero Point.

Toughness bonus: May be bought directly.

Skills
      Freeform: "Skills" are bought as descriptor-less ratings at a cost of 1pp/2 ranks. Players assign descriptors to these ratings denoting any kind of training such as professions, studies, styles, etc. Whenever a skill check is required players may add the rating of any one skill to the roll if they can come up with a reasonable reason the skill grants them an advantage. (The individual skill uses in the Skills chapter still determine how tests and DCs work.)

Type of skill use still determines if it can be used untrained.
      Trained only: Is now -5 penalty for untrained use rather than flat "yes/no".
      --Balancing can be used untrained.
      --Search, Gather Information, Surveillance can be used untrained.
      --All Sleight of Hand can be used untrained (clarifying discrepancy between skill chart and description).

Defensive Roll: DOES NOT HAVE TO BE TAKEN.
      Eidetic Memory: Normal function.
      Luck: Also allows Edit Scene.
      Jack of All Trades: Normal function, except it does not apply to Expertise skill uses.
      Languages: NOT USED.
      New Feat: Drive: You gain +1 per rank on Confidence Boost checks.

"Limited to Vision" is a Quirk rather than a full -1 pp/rank Flaw. However limiting to a certain specific type of vision (such as Infravision) may be allowed at full.
      Blending adapts at 1/2 or -1 speed rank whichever is higher.
      Environment (Impede Movement): 1pp/rank version reduces speed by half ranks or -1 whichever is higher. 2pp/rank version reduces speed by 1/4 rank or -2.
      Flight is now rank - 2.
      Growth and Shrinking without modifiers may be taken as Features, up to two ranks of size change per rank of Feature.
      You do not need to take Immunity (aging) to represent immunity to normal aging. Same rule applies to "need for sleep" and "starvation and thirst".
      Take Immunity 20 (biologic effects) rather than Immunity 30 (Fortitude) + No Stamina to represent being non-living.
      Any being that can self-control cannot have Immunity (Will).
      Environmental Adaptation goes back to being 1 pp/rank.
      You can raise the DC on the Attack extra separate from the power's rank.
      Impervious now works as follows: your Impervious + 10 is the lowest total result you can get on any Toughness check.
      Perception range is not allowed on any effect with a descriptor of originating from the character unless they are also Sense-Dependent. (i.e. "Psychic blast": no, "strobe laser": yes, "fortunate accident happens to enemy": yes.)
      Affects Insubstantial rank 1 can EITHER cause 1/2 effect OR affect only rank 1 and 2 Insubstantial at full.
      Last edited by SilvercatMoonpaw; 15th May 2014, 03:24 PM.

Comment

@SilverCat I like some your ideas, but having prone give a penalty on ranged doesn't make any sense to me. There is a reason why shooting a gun prone is the most accurate position, it eliminates a lot of the instability from standing. Shooting standing is much less accurate than kneeling is much less accurate than prone.
        Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
        [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1835-Digital-s-Daemons"]My character library[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by digitalangel View Post
          @SilverCat I like some your ideas, but having prone give a penalty on ranged doesn't make any sense to me. There is a reason why shooting a gun prone is the most accurate position, it eliminates a lot of the instability from standing. Shooting standing is much less accurate than kneeling is much less accurate than prone.
          My version is taking into account that a human lying on their vertical axis is in an awkward position to shift their aim. I am assuming that characters you are aiming ranged attacks at are generally in motion to some extent so you have to compensate, and that's harder Prone. The steadiness of which you speak is achieved by using the Aim action.

But honestly it's all in a terrible zone of trying to be simulationist while at the same time not being as simulationist as I'd like: You're presenting a smaller profile from the front, but what about side-on and from above? What about how much harder it is to dodge anything when lying down because the human body is not made to move like that?

Yeah, I'm just going to change it to "Slowed + Impaired": it's not super-accurate but at least it isn't presenting an illusion of accuracy.

Sorry about the rant.

Comment

Originally posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
            My version is taking into account that a human lying on their vertical axis is in an awkward position to shift their aim. I am assuming that characters you are aiming ranged attacks at are generally in motion to some extent so you have to compensate, and that's harder Prone. The steadiness of which you speak is achieved by using the Aim action.

But honestly it's all in a terrible zone of trying to be simulationist while at the same time not being as simulationist as I'd like: You're presenting a smaller profile from the front, but what about side-on and from above? What about how much harder it is to dodge anything when lying down because the human body is not made to move like that?

Yeah, I'm just going to change it to "Slowed + Impaired": it's not super-accurate but at least it isn't presenting an illusion of accuracy.

Sorry about the rant.
            Hey Silvercat,

Do you want me to update the Prone entry to just "Slowed and Impaired then?

Comment

I got only one major house rule: You can only use one stat modifying feat at a time, and you can only use them in tandem once per combat.

I instituted this rule after my first Avengers game, because my PC's were abusing the hell out of the "Power attack/All out Attack" combo. And it pretty much became a common rule among other crinoverse games run by my friends.
              [URL="http://crinos.dreamwidth.org/"]Urge to Stat Rising[/URL]: My blog where I post write ups for monsters for the Pathfinder system.

Comment

Originally posted by Crinos View Post
                I got only one major house rule: You can only use one stat modifying feat at a time, and you can only use them in tandem once per combat.

I instituted this rule after my first Avengers game, because my PC's were abusing the hell out of the "Power attack/All out Attack" combo. And it pretty much became a common rule among other crinoverse games run by my friends.
                Thanks Crinos. I just started a thread about that a few days ago seeing what people think about the maneuver combinations.

Comment

Originally posted by Caniswolfman View Post
                  Do you want me to update the Prone entry to just "Slowed and Impaired then?
                  If you would be so kind.

Comment

I reckon that rule makes sense, Crinos. It reduces someone taking advantage with Multiattack and you can reserve the All-out Power Attack for a finishing move!

Comment

I'm considering this for my next game:

Unlimited pp
                      • Flaws and arrays are still expected where appropriate.

Powers restricted to 3pp/rank
                      • Total cost does not matter, only the per-rank cost does.
                      • Linked powers and partial extras count towards the limit, but flat extras don't.
                      • Exemptions granted on a case-by-case basis for Communication, Comprehend and the Increased Range (Ranged) extra.

Comment

Originally posted by Ysariel View Post
                        I'm considering this for my next game:

Unlimited pp
                        • Flaws and arrays are still expected where appropriate.

Powers restricted to 3pp/rank
                        • Total cost does not matter, only the per-rank cost does.
                        • Linked powers and partial extras count towards the limit, but flat extras don't.
                        • Exemptions granted on a case-by-case basis for Communication, Comprehend and the Increased Range (Ranged) extra.
                        Is the 3PP/rank restriction on powers due to the unlimited PP rule that you have? Is this so that players have to take flaws on powers?

Comment

Forgot to include one about Penetrating:

Penetrating has an added feature: for every 3 by which it exceeds the target's Impervious (including 0) it adds 1 rank of Improved Critical for that attack, to a max addition of +3. This cannot allow an attack to exceed the "max 16-20" limit.

Comment

Regarding the skills at 3:1, I've seen a lot of instances on the boards where they're 3:1 for non combat skills and 2:1 for combat skills so that buying flat out Fighting for instance is not better than buying the skill.

Also, for Regeneration I use the count as follows:

Regeneration count starts on the first round of combat regardless if a character is injured or not. Once injured, a character will regenerate per their ranks on the round that they are permitted using this count. This means that characters will regenerate their first condition sooner, making lower ranks of the power worth the power point expenditure.
                            [QUOTE=Enigmatic One;178799][FONT=Verdana]Note to self, get Bruce and his Bat-force to take this one.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[URL="https://www.dropbox.com/s/0m9d5ob31w5pfjw/Earth%20218.pdf?dl=0"]Earth 218 - JLA Academy Setting[/URL]
                            [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/28-Blade-s-Third-Edition-Builds?p=109&viewfull=1#post109"]Blade's Builds[/URL]

[URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1554-The-Merge-3E-(OOC)?p=124944#post124944"]The Merge Character Sheet Lists[/URL]
                            [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/4284-The-Merge-Cosmic-Quandaries-3e-Interest-check?p=167246&viewfull=1#post167246"]The Cosmic Merge Character Sheet List[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Caniswolfman View Post
                              Is the 3PP/rank restriction on powers due to the unlimited PP rule that you have? Is this so that players have to take flaws on powers?
                              Yes, 3pp/rank goes with the unlimited pp rule, so that characters won't have tricked out offensive powers.

Comment

Working...
                              X