I only play 2e
    8.33%
    I only play 3e
    47.22%
    I play both versions
    44.44%
    I'm old school and play 1e, baby!
    0.00%
    My version is so house ruled you wouldn't recognize it!
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat

Re: What version(s) are you playing?

I currently only play 2e. We have some of the 3e stuff, but we're just more used to the 2e system. Both are great though.
    ᛬ᚼᛁᚾᛋᛁᚴᛁᚾ᛬ᛁᛘ᛬ᛁᚴ᛬

Comment

Just as a data point, currently I play 3E but I'd take a 2E game if offered. I no longer own my copy of first edition.
      Some M&M stuff at my blog, [URL="http://jhmcmullen.blogspot.ca"][i]Iconic Energy[/i][/URL], but mostly [i]ICONS[/i]

Comment

I play 2e, but I will play 3e for the right GM and campaign.
        [HR][/HR][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/60-Kenseido-s-Menagerie"]Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters[/URL]

Comment

I think the thing I come away with after reading various discussion threads over the last 3-4 years is the 2e players would have preferred a "2.5" version, i.e. 2e that incorporated many/most of the rulings from Steve's 2e ORQ thread.

Personally, I think it's pretty easy to house rule 3e, so that's what I'm going with when (if) I GM again.

Comment

Whereas I think its easier to House Rule 2e than learn a whole bunch of changes.
            [HR][/HR][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/60-Kenseido-s-Menagerie"]Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters[/URL]

Comment

Isn't that six-of-one half-dozen of the other? A player is going to have to learn all your houserules, too.

Comment

As opposed to learning 3e and all the house rules needed to make it playable?

Comment

Technically, I'm playing DC Adventures, as that's the rulebook I have, and which my friends have. One friend also has M&M3, and well, they're the same rules, but.

Comment

I'm still a 2E player. I've softened a bit on 3E. As I've stated in other posts, I was mainly offended by what I felt was an ignoring of all of the ORQ material that had accumulated over the years. It felt like they Just Didn't Care. That and the arbitrary changes of vocabulary that only made things more confusing (how many people have we had to help regarding the difference between Extra and Flat Extra? And is "-1 penalty to further Toughness saves" really in any way clear than "Bruises"? And don't even get me started with renaming powers to commonly used words so that you can no longer do a text search to find those corner rules...) just bugged me, and kind of poisoned me on the rest. Now, looking at it, I see 3E as a parallel, and still decent, system. There are improvements. There are areas where they messed things up. There are things where they messed up while trying to make improvements (c.f. grappling going from "Powerhouse can grapple anyone" to "Powerhouse has less than a 50/50 chance of grappling anyone who isn't the Mystic"). Ultimately, it's an edition change, and one which I plan to mine for ideas and ignore the mechanics of for another few years.
                    [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
                    [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

@Fuzzy: That's pretty much what I said in post #5 above. (And I agree.)

@kenseido: Well, as I said, six of one....

Here are my house rules

3E House Rules

Skills

Non-combat skills are 3 ranks/1pp. Combat skills remain 2 ranks/1pp.

Advantages

Languages should be comparable to the Comprehend power, so double the number of languages per point, i.e. 1pp gives you 2 languages, 2pp gets your four, etc.

Powers

Regeneration costs 2pp/rank and generally capped at 5 ranks (recover every 2 rounds). I might make an exception for someone Defense shifted if Regeneration was their main shtick.

Originally posted by Stolen from Thorp
                      Regeneration 1 (1/every 10 rounds [10])
                      Regeneration 2 (1/every 5 rounds [5, 10])
                      Regeneration 3 (3/every 10 rounds [3, 7, 10])
                      Regeneration 4 (4/every 10 rounds [2, 5, 8, 10])
                      Regeneration 5 (1/every other round [2, 4, 6, 8, 10])
                      Regeneration 6 (6/every 10 rounds [2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10)
                      Regeneration 7 (7/every 10 rounds [2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10])
                      Regeneration 8 (8 out of 10 rounds [2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10])
                      Regeneration 9 (9/every 10 rounds [2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10])
                      Regeneration 10 (1/every round)
                      "Snare", for what you get, should only cost 2pp/rank.

I'm fine with bringing in 2e's Obscure for anyone who wants it.

Power Modifiers

For the Impervious Extra, make resistance checks normally but, if the effect rank is less than your Impervious rank, reduce any degree of failure by one; zero degrees of failure counts as one degree of success. Impervious is capped at PL+2.

Maneuvers

The Power Attack/All-Out Attack combination is limited to once per combat without using Extra Effort (acquiring cumulative ranks of Fatigue, or spending an HP).

Grabbing calls for opposed (STR+Close Attack) checks

Comment

I am biased towards 2e, but that is largely because I like to GM, but dislike creating NPC's mechanically. Over the years I have accumulated enough books to have a rich base of characters to draw from mechanically. As a player, I don't mind either system. Each has it's plus and minuses that can be balanced with house rules, but at some point the house rules seem more like 2.5E or 3.1E. When playing it boils down more to the game premise and the GM. A good premise and GM will outweigh the 2E or 3E system choice.
                        [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/46-mrdents-menagerie-of-characters]My characters past and present[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by mrdent12 View Post
                          When playing it boils down more to the game premise and the GM. A good premise and GM will outweigh the 2E or 3E system choice.
                          Now that's just about as salient a point as can be made.

Comment

Agreed.

I like superhero games. There are some I've never grokked or have disliked, but generally: concept counts more than system for me. (System is most obvious in the areas where I can't do what seems like a reasonable in-genre thing "because the rules say you can't.")
                            Some M&M stuff at my blog, [URL="http://jhmcmullen.blogspot.ca"][i]Iconic Energy[/i][/URL], but mostly [i]ICONS[/i]

Comment

Heavily houseruled 2. Didn't care for 3 at all. I push closer toward standard d20, 3 is further away from it.

Comment

Working...
                              X