Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would it take for Green Ronin to get the marvel license?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would it take for Green Ronin to get the marvel license?

I love the DC Universe books but I would love even more if the marvel verse got the same treatment. I did look and see that Marvel does have an RPG but I found it lacking, especially since it seems not to have any character creation rules which to me seem like the backbone of an RPG.

Re: What would it take for Green Ronin to get the marvel license?

Quickest and easiest solution: Disney buys Green Ronin.
    My old [URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]Atomic Think Tank[/URL] thread
    My current character thread: [URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/6194-The-Sound-of-My-Eyebeams-JDRook-s-builds-and-blather?p=233536&viewfull=1#post233536"]The Sound of my Eyebeams[/URL][URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]
    [/URL]
    I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/transcribe-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?funnel=6e71f15f-207e-49f4-bf35-9ceb23b979a7"]your finished design[/URL] or even [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/create-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?context=advanced_search&context_type=rating&funnel=2014103117123522519608360"]your original concept[/URL]!

Comment

It would take desire and interest from both Marvel and Green Ronin, would probably require GR extricating themselves from existing contracts with DC*, and would definetly require a lot of hard work.

* This is purely speculation on my part. I know nothing about the actual arraignments between the two companies... But I highly doubt DC or Marvel would want to "share."

Comment

Originally posted by Batgirl III View Post
        But I highly doubt DC or Marvel would want to "share."
        It's usually at this point people bring up HeroClix and/or the Amalgam-verse. I'm not sure what magic caused those to happen, but it would have to be on the same scale.
        My old [URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]Atomic Think Tank[/URL] thread
        My current character thread: [URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/6194-The-Sound-of-My-Eyebeams-JDRook-s-builds-and-blather?p=233536&viewfull=1#post233536"]The Sound of my Eyebeams[/URL][URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]
        [/URL]
        I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/transcribe-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?funnel=6e71f15f-207e-49f4-bf35-9ceb23b979a7"]your finished design[/URL] or even [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/create-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?context=advanced_search&context_type=rating&funnel=2014103117123522519608360"]your original concept[/URL]!

Comment

HeroClix is obviously a stronger precedent: being a still on-going licensed game line. Amalgam was a one-time thing nearly twenty years ago... So yes, I guess it could happen.

I just really, really doubt it would.

Comment

Originally posted by Fire View Post
            I love the DC Universe books but I would love even more if the marvel verse got the same treatment.
            Well given how badly the last RPG company who tried to work with Marvel was treated, probably a full frontal lobotomy to consider it a good idea.
            “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”

-Doctor Who

Comment

Let's get serious here. Green Ronin can barely get out 2 M&M books a year; and 1 of those is a pdf compilation. We're living in the era of superheroes and GR can barely support its superhero game; let alone take advantage of the caped era.

There's hundreds of Marvel characters to pick from in the roll call section. Just use them to create your own Marvel game.
              "Reverting to name calling suggests you are defensive and therefore find my opinion valid," Spock, Into Darkness.

Comment

It would take desire and interest from both Marvel and Green Ronin, would probably require GR extricating themselves from existing contracts with DC*, and would definetly require a lot of hard work.

* This is purely speculation on my part. I know nothing about the actual arraignments between the two companies... But I highly doubt DC or Marvel would want to "share."
                I doubt GR having both licenses would matter at all to either Marvel or DC. WizKids has both licenses for HeroClix, for example.

GR's deal with DC is complete. As best I can tell, GR's license with DC let them do 4 books and only 4 books, but they can keep them in print or sell them as PDF's forever, probably paying some kind of upfront fee plus a perpetual royalty based on sales. Though, I bet DC retains rights to license to another company in the future if they want to, but DC is smart. They know the RPG industry is small potatoes, and M&M is pretty much the top dog of supers RPGs. Plus I believe that those in DC that helped broker the deal are actual M&M fans and asked for reasonable terms that a small company like GR could handle in order to make the deal happen.

Marvel, however, is different. I get the sense that their licensing folks are largely clueless when it comes to tabletop gaming. They seem to be micro-managing control-freaks who have completely unrealistic expectations of tabletop RPG profit margins, and made absurd demands of MWP when they published the Marvel Heroic RPG.

They also appear to have an unhealthy amount of paranoia over letting fans actually make their own characters or homebrew campaigns. For example, they required MWP to focus the line around playing through previously published Marvel storylines using official Marvel characters, discouraging players from making their own PC's and running their own campaigns in the Marvel Universe. Hence the lack of character creation rules in the core book.

I don't hold MWP totally blameless, however. They took a bad deal they probably realized was bad from the beginning, perhaps naively hoping that just having the Marvel RPG license would somehow allow them to overcome Marvel's ridiculous demands. Green Ronin seems a little savvier about the deals they take on, and certainly more so after seeing MWP get burned like they did. I doubt they'd make a deal with Marvel unless it had similar terms to the DC deal and I don't see Marvel agreeing to that, at least based on their prior history.

Comment

Lego also has licenses from both Marvel and DC. What's funny is I've been playing the Lego Marvel Superheroes game which is published by Warner Brothers, so DC's parent company is producing products for Marvel.
                  Apprentice Mastermind:
                  Assorted Builds: [url]https://calubrecht.us/mutantsAndMasterminds/miscreants.html[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by thaumonuclear View Post
                    Lego also has licenses from both Marvel and DC. What's funny is I've been playing the Lego Marvel Superheroes game which is published by Warner Brothers, so DC's parent company is producing products for Marvel.
                    That vaguely reminds me of the time when DC Comics published several comics based on TSR's Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. At the same time, and in fact largely written by the same TSR-sourced guy (Jeff Grubb) who was writing one of said comics, TSR was publishing the Marvel FASERIP RPG...

Comment

Jeff Grubb has written quite candidly on how problematic (to be charitable) things got at TSR in those days.

Comment

Jeff Grubb has written quite candidly on how problematic (to be charitable) things got at TSR in those days.
                        That's what happens when you bring in someone (Lorraine Williams) who knows nothing about role-playing games but everything about how to squeeze as much money as they can out of a product to run the entire company. Someone who in fact was more interest in lining her own pockets than keeping the company afloat, as evidenced by the whole business with the Buck Rogers RPG.

If you're wondering; Lorraine Williams arranged for the royalty payments for the Buck Rogers RPG to be very generous so that the current inheritor of the estate could benefit as much as possible, naturally something of a conflict of interest given that she was the heir in question. She also liked to ban 'playing games on company time' (or as we who know anything about RPGs call it, 'playtesting'), thought Dungeons & Dragons was horrible, hated role-players, and generally dictated that they had to release a bunch of new setting books constantly so that they could wring as much money out of the playerbase as they could before it became unwieldy and caused the company to crash and burn.

The only good thing about all that was the frequency of settings actually somehow managing to produce consistently awesome settings like Birthright, Spelljammer, Planescape, Dark Sun, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Narsil View Post
                          The only good thing about all that was the frequency of settings actually somehow managing to produce consistently awesome settings like Birthright, Spelljammer, Planescape, Dark Sun, etc.
                          Unfortunately, as you reference in passing, there were so many of them that they did a fine job of cannibalizing TSR's own market.

Comment

Originally posted by thaumonuclear View Post
                            :-P It's really sort of a case of history repeating itself. DC was distributing Marvel's comics for several years at one point, although it was a somewhat troubled relationship with DC putting a cap on the number of titles Marvel could put out, something like 6 if I recall.
                            [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
                            [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

I'd like to see this as well, and would purchase said product, it was of the quality of the DC product.

DC and Marvel also did a joint venture with the Upper Deck card company for the TCG VS. System which lasted several years, and by all accounts (at UDE) it was DC and not Marvel that was the more difficult of the two to work with.

So we can dream.

Comment

Working...
                              X