Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Needs Help!

Hello All!

I am undertaking a somewhat ambitious project and need some help.

For starters, my friends and I have never really played an rpg. I have bought core rulebooks for several games, but never got around to really absorbing the material. We are now committed to playing superhero rpg (with me as gm) and they are looking to me for story and the overall gaming experience.

Never having played an rpg, much less run one, I am doing my best to understand the rules of M&M. I love the concept and think I understand it from a high level, but sitting down and actually playing is intimidating.

Add to that that we are playing a somewhat unique (I believe) style of play: the idea is that the players start as a slightly fictionalized version of themselves. I have added some complications and dramatic elements to enhance the story, but they are powerless when the game begins.
    In the first session, they discover their powers. They don't choose the powers: I do--we are trying to simulate what someone would go through if they just discovered they had powers. So the players don't even know what their powers are when they start.

All that aside for now, I need to understand the basics of the game. Can anyone help me with the questions below:

- Looking at The Rook in the Hero's Guide, it says part of his offense is Unarmed +15. So if I'm playing as him and I attack with no weapons, I roll a D20 and then add 15?

- Per the Emeral City Knights free PDF, one of Lightshow's powers is: Visual Distortion Field: Enhanced Defenses 20 (Dodge 10, Parry 10). Can someone break this down? Do these add to his existing D&P (both 12)?

- Defensive Roll: Can someone explain the benefit of this? If it adds to your active defenses, and is still limited by your PL, and costs 1 pp per rank, what's the difference between this and just adding to your defenses as normal?

- Routine Check and Routine opposition: can someone please provide an example of each?

I have a lot more. What I would love is someone to help me with character building. I am playing with four players: a light controller, a shapeshifter (shifts into animals only), an immortal with life/death affliction powers, and an aquapath.

Thank you so much!

Re: Newbie Needs Help!

Originally posted by McBamf View Post
    Hello All!

I am undertaking a somewhat ambitious project and need some help.

For starters, my friends and I have never really played an rpg. I have bought core rulebooks for several games, but never got around to really absorbing the material. We are now committed to playing superhero rpg (with me as gm) and they are looking to me for story and the overall gaming experience.

Never having played an rpg, much less run one, I am doing my best to understand the rules of M&M. I love the concept and think I understand it from a high level, but sitting down and actually playing is intimidating.

Add to that that we are playing a somewhat unique (I believe) style of play: the idea is that the players start as a slightly fictionalized version of themselves. I have added some complications and dramatic elements to enhance the story, but they are powerless when the game begins.
    In the first session, they discover their powers. They don't choose the powers: I do--we are trying to simulate what someone would go through if they just discovered they had powers. So the players don't even know what their powers are when they start.
    While I have played other systems for many years, a similar game idea was my introduction to M&M. It can be a lot of fun.

All that aside for now, I need to understand the basics of the game. Can anyone help me with the questions below:

- Looking at The Rook in the Hero's Guide, it says part of his offense is Unarmed +15. So if I'm playing as him and I attack with no weapons, I roll a D20 and then add 15?
    Correct

- Per the Emeral City Knights free PDF, one of Lightshow's powers is: Visual Distortion Field: Enhanced Defenses 20 (Dodge 10, Parry 10). Can someone break this down? Do these add to his existing D&P (both 12)?
    The described power adds 10 to Dodge and adds 10 to Parry. You are correct that it adds to whatever is already there. Remember that this still counts towards power level caps.

- Defensive Roll: Can someone explain the benefit of this? If it adds to your active defenses, and is still limited by your PL, and costs 1 pp per rank, what's the difference between this and just adding to your defenses as normal?
    Defensive roll is in many ways under powered compared to just buying Protection. Remember that role playing is not about min/maxing a character to death and 'winning', it is about building a character and telling a story.

- Routine Check and Routine opposition: can someone please provide an example of each?
    Skill checks can often be done as routine checks if there is not a penalty for failure. If you have a skill with 10 ranks, you could take 10 on the roll and automatically make any check of DC 20 or less as a routine check as long as it wasn't in combat or in a life or death situation. Some other things can use routine checks, but skills are the most common.

I have a lot more. What I would love is someone to help me with character building. I am playing with four players: a light controller, a shapeshifter (shifts into animals only), an immortal with life/death affliction powers, and an aquapath.

Thank you so much!
    np
    Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
    [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1835-Digital-s-Daemons"]My character library[/URL]

Comment

To add to what digitalangel said, most of the builds already have these enhanced powers built into the totals. There's decent odds that he already had Dodge 2 and Parry 2, possibly from his ability scores, and the enhanced defenses were what brought them up to +12 (which puts his defense target at 10+12 = 22 for the attacker to match). If he's at PL 10 (I don't have the adventure on me), that would entail a defensive tradeoff, so his Toughness save would not exceed +8.

Defensive Roll adds to Toughness. And, as digitalangel said, it's a bit underpowered given it's the same cost to buy Protection, which doesn't go away when you're vulnerable. There are house rule fixes for this, but nothing official.

In general, Take 10 is when you are not under pressure, or if you have Skill Mastery. Take 20 applies when there's no penalty for failure. Take 10 is you just doing your level best (which is lightly worse than average) while Taking 20 is taking 20 times as long to do it over and over again until you can do it as well as possible (which is why you can't do it when there's a chance of failure, such as cracking a computer system) for your skill level. An example of Routine checks might be the Deception check of the spy applying his makeup in his hotel room (there's a chance of failure, but no one's holding a gun up to his head, so he's calm while applying the fake moustache) and the Routine check of the sentry for Perception (he's not really trying all that hard, just scanning the crowd).
      [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
      [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Thank you for your help!

Comment

Working...
        X