Hero maker program anyone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hero maker program anyone?

I have been using Hero lab to fine tune the heroes and villains for my game group.
    What I am now looking for is some software to create hero/villain pictures. I have found a couple of free online ones but they seem really restricted and after a couple of tries all heroes look similar, flexing the same arm muscle, etc.. Has anyone any advice on where I can find a program/builder for the hero pictures that gives a few more options than a mask or a cape?

While I have Photoshop I am not good enough to creat these things from scratch.

Thanks guys.

Re: Hero maker program anyone?

The only ones I know of are Hero Machine, or, if you're really ambitious, its possible to get the last version of the City of Heroes character creation software and get it running. You're going to get common poses with anything, though; that's part of the gig with setting up such programs.

Comment

So to get Icon (City of Heroes last build) go here: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Titan_Icon

I think that page has instructions on where/how to get the client.

Not only can you design characters with it, you can go into the game and fly around. Unfortunately, you can't use any of the powers outside the powers customization menu - which by itself might be enough if you want pictures of that sort of thing.

Comment

Well, if you're feeling brave, you might try DAZ Studio, which is free in its more basic form, but to get a decent assortment of costume material, you'll have to plunk down some significant amounts for character morphs, shaders, and conversion packages. ShareCG.com though has quite a bit of stuff for free that's more than useable, though the content doesn't always get along well with the lastest DS version, and can take some work to get functional. DAZ has it's own shop as well, which is extensive really, and fairly cheap if you invest in the Platinum Club membership (which is one of the few such things I know of that is truly and deeply worth the price), and there's places like Renderosity as well. I would advise caution though, as it can turn very expensive, very quickly if you have a completist streak in you, which is something I do have issues with at times.

Comment

Originally posted by Denial View Post
          I have been using Hero lab to fine tune the heroes and villains for my game group.
          What I am now looking for is some software to create hero/villain pictures. I have found a couple of free online ones but they seem really restricted and after a couple of tries all heroes look similar, flexing the same arm muscle, etc.. Has anyone any advice on where I can find a program/builder for the hero pictures that gives a few more options than a mask or a cape?

While I have Photoshop I am not good enough to creat these things from scratch.

Thanks guys.
          The forms are pretty much all the same, but you should try Fabrica de Herois (in Portuguese, I believe) at http://fabricadeherois.blogspot.com/ . That link will take you to the blog for the generators. At the top of the blog page on the left, go to Fabricas menu, and select one of the character generators. But remember, the menus are all in Portuguese, but you can change that to English to selecting the proper flag button in the top right of the generator.

Comment

The costume maker in Champions Online is reasonably versatile. It's a free download and has free-to-play options. The built-in emotes allow for lots of poses and screen capture from almost any camera angle is easy. YMMV.
            Last edited by Mr Mole; 11-26-2014, 03:39 PM.

Comment

CO is good, although it only gets to be great once you can unlock a lot of costumes that are either available to gold subscribers or need to be purchased with points.

Plus something I did was to create starting templates that had proportions that were easier on my eyes than the default. Like less gigantic hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Mole View Post
                The costume maker in Champions Online is reasonably versatile. It's a free download and has free-to-play options. The built-in emotes allow for lots of poses and screen capture from almost any camera angle is easy. YMMV.
                I've tried CO's creator & while its not bad, its also not quite right.... I never get quite what I want, because at the end of the day you still are making costumes out of stock parts & they quite often look like they were made out of stock parts. Its fine if you have no artistic skill whatsoever & your designs are very simple, or if there is a suitable part, but the second you want to have a logo that is not supported, or to put the logo not on the chest, or if you have a specifically designed part in mind you hit a brick wall.

You would need at least 10 times the parts currently available in the entire game, along with the adaptation of the program to do things like moving logos around the body, much like we could do in at least one of the old playstation wrestling games to really start to get to a position where it would even approach the start of being truly suitable.

But if you have no artistic skill whatsoever, its certainly the best end user program for the money (it being free).
                “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”

-Doctor Who

Comment

Personally, I have minimal artistic skill and generally prefer to use templates to help me sketch pictures. From time to time, however, I do try to recreate some of my ideas online. I sometimes have to get a bit creative and I often end up compromising on some detail or other, but CO can usually be utilized to generate adequate results.

Without delving too deeply into the merits and flaws inherent in using CO or any other software as an aid in costume visualization, I will simply state that I believe it fits the criteria of the OP and I stand by my suggestion. I suspect it's probably the best option out there for what was requested. 'Nuff said.

Once again, YMMV.
                  Last edited by Mr Mole; 11-26-2014, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Now saint matthew went and reminded me of those halcyon days when Champions and GURPS character sheets had character outlines you could use as a baseline for character drawings.

Those were fun.

That said, I do not agree that CO (or CoH) costume editors are only useful for people who lack artistic talent. I would also argue that they're both more flexible than Matthew stated. I am fairly certain you can put insignias on other costume pieces in CO, but I'd have to reinstall the game to demonstrate it. The sheer volume of designs available allow for a relatively large amount of flexibility. I mean, it is true that it is limited to the pieces available in the maker, but there are a lot of pieces in that maker.

I have some screenshots of truly awful efforts in City of Heroes, for when anyone cares to look at no artistic talent. Players in that game produced some of the gaudiest most ridiculous costumes I have ever seen.

I wouldn't put it down as being bad or worthless or only for people who lack talent. It's one tool of several that are available that will do much of the work for you.
                    Last edited by ResplendentFire; 11-28-2014, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X