The power of the Silence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The power of the Silence

Silence from Dr Who has the power to make people forget they see them when the person looks away. How would one build this power in Third edition?
    Triskavanski's Graveyard of Characters

Re: The power of the Silence

I'd probably do it as an affliction with compelled, controlled, transformed (forget you see them) built with reaction acting like an aura.
    "Reverting to name calling suggests you are defensive and therefore find my opinion valid," Spock, Into Darkness.

Comment

Originally posted by Triskavanski View Post
      Silence from Dr Who has the power to make people forget they see them when the person looks away. How would one build this power in Third edition?
      Pretty much what Monolith said. I tried something similar with a perception filter on a building, where anyone looking inside forgets that they looked inside as soon as they stop looking inside. In the end I used the Mind Control prebuilt power & just added reaction to it. Be warned this kind of effect is mathematically effective against low level NPC's, but won't work 90% of the time on PC's (at least if you don't throw in a will save weaken effect too).
      “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”

-Doctor Who

Comment

Mostly, I want it against low level npcs anyways.

Silence: Affliction 8 (divine, 3rd degree: Forget, Resisted by: Will, DC 18; Increased Range 2: perception, Reaction 3: reaction, Selective; Check Required 8: DC 18 - Deception, Limited Degree (third only), Sense-dependent: Visual)

That is what I got so far.. any way to reduce the cost further from 32pp?
        Last edited by Triskavanski; 11-22-2014, 02:42 AM.

Comment

If it's exactly like the Silence, that's a racial trait that presumably they can't shut off and are immune to themselves. I'd make it a Permanent Perception Area (Visual) Affliction limited to 3rd Degree, which would cost 3p/rank plus 1p for the Rare Immunity. This allows it to work all the time on anyone who can see at least one Silent, even if the Silent is unaware of the subject or unconscious.

If you want to be able to turn it off at will, and only effect certain targets, it's going to be more expensive.

For your build I would suggest getting rid of Perception Range and Sense-Dependent and just using Perception Area, which costs the same but is simpler and closer to your concept.

In practice, your build would rarely be effective. For it to work the target needs to fail by 3 degrees; against DC18 that means they would have to roll a 7 or under, including bonuses, so it's not even likely to work on bystanders. It would need to be either Cumulative or Progressive to build up to 3rd rank, or bought at a higher rank (at least 11) to be able to effect Will 0 subjects routinely.

The low rank problem is compounded by Check Required. What most people fail to notice initially is that making the Check DC does NOT automatically allow you to use the full rank of the power; you can only use as many ranks as you beat the DC. That means to use 8 ranks on a power that has a DC18 Deception Check, you'd need to roll a total of 26 with your Deception bonus and a d20.

So to make it both continuously effective AND allow you to control who is affected by it, I don't see a way to make it cheaper than 44p.

EDIT - Actually, if you did want it only for low-level NPC, Progressive is probably the way to go. Try this:

Forget You Saw Me: Affliction X (Controlled), Extras (Perception Area +1, Progressive +2, Continuous (or Reaction[look at Silent]) +3, Insidious 1p), Flaws (3rd Degree Only -1, Single Command [Forget Me] -1, Quirk [No effect until subject looks away] -1p) - 5p/rank

The Single Command limit may be a bit much, but if a GM is good with it, you could easily buy this up to 5 ranks and have it be effective on most NPCs PL5 and below for only 25p. As is, it can be turned off, but you can make it Permanent as a -1 Flaw. It also affects everyone, so Selective is a +1 Extra. Technically it may take a few rounds for the Forget condition to land, but since it's Insidious they won't realize it's happening.
          Last edited by JDRook; 11-22-2014, 11:25 AM.
          My old [URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]Atomic Think Tank[/URL] thread
          My current character thread: [URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/6194-The-Sound-of-My-Eyebeams-JDRook-s-builds-and-blather?p=233536&viewfull=1#post233536"]The Sound of my Eyebeams[/URL][URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]
          [/URL]
          I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/transcribe-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?funnel=6e71f15f-207e-49f4-bf35-9ceb23b979a7"]your finished design[/URL] or even [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/create-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?context=advanced_search&context_type=rating&funnel=2014103117123522519608360"]your original concept[/URL]!

Comment

Actually, Controlled isn't exactly the best of Conditions to impose with the intent you have in mind. Transformed actually suits it better, and is much, much hard to get re-roll's for, given that it's a third degree Condition and the nature of the Transformed Condition as well.

Affliction X (Will resists; 3rd Degree: Mentally Transformed) [extras: Continuous, Perception Area, Progressive, Reaction; flaws: Limited to Third Degree; feats: Insidious, Subtle] 6*X+2

With this, you want to set the Transformed state to be "completely devoid of memories of the power's user". Which Mentally Transformed can do.

The Continuous just makes it really damned hard to get rid of. Thus, unless someone is actively using a power designed to root through someone's mind to help them get rid of the Transformation and get their memories of you back... well, then they're not gonna be able to make checks to get rid of the Transformed condition. So yeah, nasty stuff, adding Continuous to a third degree affliction condition. But given the cost, you are indeed getting what you pay for. Insidious makes it even nastier by making it that they don't even know they've been affected, and the Subtle means they never noticed they were hit when they were affected. Makes it that much harder to actually get someone to fix their memories for them.

On the other hand, yeah, this power can be "turned off" with a free action, so if you don't want to have that ability, take the -1/rank flaw Permanent. Not sure I'd really recommend it for a hero though, but for a villain, sure, why not.

Comment

Hero lab seems to make the -1/pem into a +1/r effect instead. I dunno if that is how its suppose to be or not.

The big reason for the power isn't for people who are equal to my power level, but more of Joe Shcho down the street who sees super powered guys running around going at it. The moment he looks away.. poof, he forgets what he saw and goes back on with his mundane life.

Meanwhile my allies and enemies continue to remember me because they're not being afflicted.

I took

Affliction X (Will resists; 3rd Degree: Mentally Transformed) [extras: Perception Area, Reaction; flaws: Limited to Third Degree, Limited; Does not work against those who don't know of the supernatural; Skill Check Required - Decption feats: Subtle] 3*X+1

And brought it up to level 8 for 17pp right now.

But I should probably put a few other things in there.. bringing it up to at least 5pp

Comment

Originally posted by Triskavanski View Post
                Hero lab seems to make the -1/pem into a +1/r effect instead. I dunno if that is how its suppose to be or not.
                Permanent is a Flaw, but it also requires that the effect is of Continuous Duration first. In HeroLab, it's been built to automatically increase Duration and then apply the Flaw, so depending on the Duration of the effect before it will often look like it didn't change the cost or it costs more. I'm not sure it was the best idea to do that, but that's how it works.
                My old [URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]Atomic Think Tank[/URL] thread
                My current character thread: [URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/6194-The-Sound-of-My-Eyebeams-JDRook-s-builds-and-blather?p=233536&viewfull=1#post233536"]The Sound of my Eyebeams[/URL][URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]
                [/URL]
                I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/transcribe-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?funnel=6e71f15f-207e-49f4-bf35-9ceb23b979a7"]your finished design[/URL] or even [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/create-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?context=advanced_search&context_type=rating&funnel=2014103117123522519608360"]your original concept[/URL]!

Comment

Is there a way to apply instant recovery if they see me again without you know, making it so the moment after the moment they look away they recover?

Comment

First of all, the name of the memory-proof species is the Silents, plural, or Silent, singular. The Silence is the name of the organization they founded.

Also, I did a build of them back in my old thread. But I forgot where I put it.

Comment

Ah I see. I totally missed that bit in lets kill hitler.

Yeah, the hardest bit of it, is just simply making this power cheap enough it works for the character. Its less of a power intended to be used against anything that would be totally useful and more just suppose to be used against guys who are like PL 3-5 or whatever the PL of a normal commoner is.

Comment

Perhaps something done with Visual Concealment? Seems less appropriate than Affliction, but would likely end up cheaper. You just need to get your GM to agree to a very unusual Flaw that is the Concealment sort of taking effect afterwards.

Personally, when a player wants that sort of mook-only power, I draw on the comparison between multiattack and Takedown and just let them have it for some number of Feature Ranks.

Still, if you want to go with Affliction but need to reduce the costs, how about:

Affliction X (Resisted and Overcome by Will. - / - / Transformed), Visual Perception Area, Permanent, Limited to 3rd Degree, Limited to Minions, Limited to targets of Will lower than (Half your PL), Limited: Does not work against those who don't know of the supernatural, Innate, Subtle, Quirk: Instant Recovery if they see you again in another scene. Costs 1 point + 1 point for every 3 Ranks of Affliction

Even if your GM doesn't allow all those Limited flaws, you could remove one or even two of them and it still wouldn't be very expensive to get about 10 ranks
                        My Deviantart page

Comment

Thats some brilliant limits there I didn't think of before. I'll put those together into the character.

Comment

Working...
                          X