Wonder Woman, Weapons, and You.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonder Woman, Weapons, and You.

Looking at the Wonder Woman profile from the DC Heroes and Villains books, one of her Offensive attacks lists her as using Weapons, which have an Accuracy of +14, same as her Unarmed, but range between Damage 18 to 19. I'm going to assume this means she's using Strength-based weapons ranging from 2 to 3 ranks, based on her Strength of 16. Either way this Attack Effect breaks her PL balance by 1 to 1.5 ranks.

And while this is doubtlessly a error on the writer's part, it did give me a fun thought.

Namely, that when you have a character like Thor or Wonder Woman who happens to be immensely strong and tends to use weaponry, you don't give them a bonus to Strength Damage and a decrease in Accuracy to represent the advantage their weapon of choice provides. You give them Ranks of Improved Critical. Brass Knuckles and Gauntlets give 1 Rank, Clubs and Staves give 2 Ranks, Axes and Swords give 3 Ranks, and using a Power Hammer gives you 4 Ranks.

But, after rambling for all this time, I'd like to hear from the community. How do you translate super-strong characters with weapons into game traits? Is it a Linked Effect? A Power Modifier to Strength Damage? Something independent of Strength altogether? The viewing public, and me, wants to know!
    Last edited by Nillaman; 11-16-2014, 04:52 PM.
    Failures, Successes, and Everything Else: Nillaman's Roster

Re: Wonder Woman, Weapons, and You.

I usually just allow characters to take penalties to their attack if they get some temporary weapon that increases their damage, unless, of course, the purpose of the weapon (and similar situations with armor) is precisely to let them temporarily have higher PL against a particularly hard foe (and then find some excuse as to why not do that all the time, just like WW is not always with a massive weapon and her shield and golden armor). An alternative to attack penalties, especially for character you envision as using a weapon regularly but being just as skilled in hand to hand and PL restrictions are being troublesome, might be to do like DCA did with Big Barda, the weapon granting Penetrating on Strength Damage instead of increasing the damage directly. Likewise, you could make armor give Impervious Toughness without including any Protection.
    My Deviantart page

Comment

I generally treat using impromptu weapons as a circumstance bonus; unless they're big weapons and then I give them an area effect bonus.
      "Reverting to name calling suggests you are defensive and therefore find my opinion valid," Spock, Into Darkness.

Comment

Depending on the character, you could just let them break PL if necessary, if it's a temporary thing as a response to a greater than normal threat.

I would say I see a character like Thor probably as accurate unarmed as with Mjolnir but under his caps. It depends on if using weapons is that character's concept.

I built Wondy (well the Aaron Diaz reboot version of her) as a PL 13 back on my old thread, and she had a sword in that build. I ended up making her equally balanced, just less accurate with the sword. I'll get a link up to that build in a sec, cause I'm rather proud of it. Here it is.
        Last edited by Arthur Eld; 11-16-2014, 06:23 PM.
        Any sound can shake the air. My voice shakes the heart!

Comment

That's an interesting question. Usually whenever they have Wonder Woman arm herself it's an indicator that things just got serious, but considering how powerful she is, unless her arms and armour are magic how much of a boost to damage and protection can she actually gain?

I like the idea that weapons allow someone like Wonder Woman to gain other qualities that she doesn't have when unarmed, and looking through the Archaic Weapons section of the Gadget Guides there's a few that seem appropriate. Improved Critical, Penetrating, and Smashing are all good options, but I think the one I like the most for characters like Wonder Woman is Impressive, which gives the wielder a +2 Circumstance modifier to appropriate Interaction checks, effectively granting the character the same in game benefit that their appearance is coded for on the comics page. I can even see granting a free use of the Inspire advantage to character.
          Punching For Justice

Comment

Also, when WW takes up a hammer or sword, if an optional rule is in use to that effect, it is a pretty clear indicator of "OK, from now on I'm Going For The Kill on this fight"
            My Deviantart page

Comment

Unless I really feel that it's important that the weapon be important to the character's fighting style I don't bother stating the weapon up. Maybe give them Variable Descriptor so they can do different kinds of damage with the weapon and with their fists. Worrying about breaking PL or having to trade off or adding Extras just because you've suddenly got a weapon is too fiddly for me.

However I'm someone who finds the visualization of wielding objects to fight vs using your fists and blasty powers "weird" so I'm biased.
              Last edited by SilvercatMoonpaw; 11-17-2014, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                That's an interesting question. Usually whenever they have Wonder Woman arm herself it's an indicator that things just got serious, but considering how powerful she is, unless her arms and armour are magic how much of a boost to damage and protection can she actually gain?
                Well Wonder woman is a Amazonian warrior. So it makes sense for her to be skilled at most weapons. Although
                the most distinctive time she used a weapon was during kingdom come. That magic sword of hers was deadly
                even for superman. A strength based damage sword would still give her some reach and a slight increase
                to damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Nillaman View Post
                  *snip*

But, after rambling for all this time, I'd like to hear from the community. How do you translate super-strong characters with weapons into game traits? Is it a Linked Effect? A Power Modifier to Strength Damage? Something independent of Strength altogether? The viewing public, and me, wants to know!
                  In cases where powerful/experienced PCs should have super-effective attacks, I suggest players use a 'Perception-Area' effect, which auto-hits & doesn't allow a Dodge check (targets get their normal resistance check, as normal). Tacking on things like 'Secondary Effect' &/or 'Penetrating' &/or 'Progressive' &/or 'Linked' effects can double the victim's trouble.

Maybe it all comes down to how overwhelming you want the attack to be. Contrary to popular opinion, M&M combat can be very short & decisive. Depends on the group.
                  [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1243-My-Dream-House"]My Dream House[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by HustlerOne View Post
                    Well Wonder woman is a Amazonian warrior. So it makes sense for her to be skilled at most weapons. Although
                    the most distinctive time she used a weapon was during kingdom come. That magic sword of hers was deadly
                    even for superman. A strength based damage sword would still give her some reach and a slight increase
                    to damage.
                    Which by the way, she recently gifted to Superman.
                    Creator of the Wyndgate, Atlantis Unleashed, and Nighthaven Universes

Comment

Originally posted by dream View Post
                      In cases where powerful/experienced PCs should have super-effective attacks, I suggest players use a 'Perception-Area' effect, which auto-hits & doesn't allow a Dodge check (targets get their normal resistance check, as normal).
                      I believe you mean Perception Range. Perception Area would affect anyone who can perceive you with a chosen sense type. It can be confusing.
                      My old [URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]Atomic Think Tank[/URL] thread
                      My current character thread: [URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/6194-The-Sound-of-My-Eyebeams-JDRook-s-builds-and-blather?p=233536&viewfull=1#post233536"]The Sound of my Eyebeams[/URL][URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]
                      [/URL]
                      I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/transcribe-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?funnel=6e71f15f-207e-49f4-bf35-9ceb23b979a7"]your finished design[/URL] or even [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/create-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?context=advanced_search&context_type=rating&funnel=2014103117123522519608360"]your original concept[/URL]!

Comment

Working...
                      X