Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goblin Glider - Device or Vehicle?

Hello,
    I've been toying with idea in my head for a while now. Its something I always seem to come back too. I have always liked the Goblin Glider. It one of those cool items you can't get out of you're head. I'm just not sure how to build it in M&M. Is it a Device like Adam Strange's Rocket-pack in DC H&V Vol 1 or would you build it like a vehicle via equipment points. I know, you could build it either way. I just wanted to hear people's thoughts on it. Which side of the line do you think it falls? I tend to fall on the equipment side. I mean, Batman has been seen with a Rocketpack before and doesn't use devices a he shown.

Feel free to say you're favorite devices/equipment. The Glider is probably one of my favorites. Not to mention, you can't forget about Utility belts.
    “Solomon Grundy wants Pants Too!” Cartoon Network Promo with the Legion of Doom.

Re: Goblin Glider - Device or Vehicle?

You can build it either way; the only difference is how the player is compensated when the GM takes it away from them.

Which means it's basically a matter of the player declaring how important the item is to their character's concept/gimmick. The gadgets in the Batman's utility belt do not define him, but someone like Adam Strange or the Rocketeer pretty much is centered around their rocket pack.
    Last edited by Batgirl III; 11-12-2014, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Batgirl III View Post
      You can build it either way; the only difference is how the player is compensated when the GM takes it away from them.
      Not the only difference. Equipment is more likely to fail than a device is according to raw, however the main difference is that you cannot extra effort or power stunt with equipment, including vehicles, even exotic vehicles.

So yes you are right that its a matter of the player declaring how important the item is to their character's concept or gimmick. But there are mechanical issues involved too.
      “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”

-Doctor Who

Comment

Originally posted by saint_matthew View Post
        Not the only difference. Equipment is more likely to fail than a device is according to raw, however the main difference is that you cannot extra effort or power stunt with equipment[.]
        When I said "take it away" I didn't mean just removing it whole-cloth, the GM declaring that Doctor Shotgun's scattergun has jammed is also "taking it away" from him.

Comment

Well from the sounds of it, it seems that Glider falls into the Device Category. Since we all know, Goblin without his Glider isn't the Goblin we love. The character I'm thinking of making would use it quite a bit. Since that's where main movement and weapons would come from. I think it would be considered a Removable Device and not Easily Removable. Since a Green Lantern can call back his ring if it not being kept from him some how. A remote-controlled Gilder could do the same thing with a Feature.
          “Solomon Grundy wants Pants Too!” Cartoon Network Promo with the Legion of Doom.

Comment

Given how often it happens, though, I'd suggest using the Platform Flaw so that the character can be knocked or dragged off of the glider with a good check against them.
            [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
            [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by saint_matthew View Post
              Not the only difference. Equipment is more likely to fail than a device is according to raw, however the main difference is that you cannot extra effort or power stunt with equipment, including vehicles, even exotic vehicles.
              I'd add here that you can power stunt equipment with a hero point rather then extra effort. Of course most people offset the fatigue from extra effort with hero points, anyway, so it's not that different then using a device or just having the natural power.
              "Reverting to name calling suggests you are defensive and therefore find my opinion valid," Spock, Into Darkness.

Comment

Originally posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
                Given how often it happens, though, I'd suggest using the Platform Flaw so that the character can be knocked or dragged off of the glider with a good check against them.
                That I thought of with it. Also having second chance advantage. One of the few times I see a reason for it. Not to mention, Unreliable (5 uses) on missiles or bombs.

Comment

Originally posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
                  Green Ronin has already made a archetype that has a glider. She's called the Obsessed Genius from
                  the 2E villainous archetypes pdf. Her jetwing glider is built as a vehicle. It does have flight with
                  the Platform flaw. It also has the obscure power to simulate the smokescreen it can release.

Comment

Working...
                  X