selective modifier on reaction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• selective modifier on reaction

in the teleport powers pdf it mentions the possibility of adding selective modifier to a reaction. This seems extremely cheesable or am I just wrong on that?

Re: selective modifier on reaction

I think it's important for the GM to be careful in allowing that combination, as I can think of a few ways to seriously abuse it . . . but at the same time, that's an EXPENSIVE combo. Reaction effects already tend to be incredibly pricey, so anything that makes them more expensive is usually going to make them less attractive.
    [B][URL="http://www.mygurps.com/mm3e.shtml"]My Collection of M&M (3E) House Rules[/URL][/B]
    Including . . .[LIST][*]Combat "Boosts," Investigation Montages, and more[*]New Powers, Advantages, and Gear[*]Worked Examples and Rules Clarifications[/LIST]

Comment

teleport whenever I want to seems pretty abusive. I'm sure there are worse like variable immunity with reflection being one that sticks out in my head but still pretty nasty even if it is expensive.

Comment

This has come up on several other threads. Personally, I think it's fine. In addition to being expensive, the biggest thing to remember about reaction teleport is that if they're using it to dodge attacks, they have to perceive the attack in order to teleport out of the way. They can't do it to avoid Perception ranged attacks, Subtle 2 attacks, or some Indirect attacks.

The Reaction extra also means that it only works in response to the specific trigger, so you would need a separate teleport power for typical teleportation-based powers as part of a standard move on your turn. If it's part of an array, that means you can only have the power working about every other round. If it's outside of an array, then you are paying a lot for that ability, which means it's harder to abuse.

Just my two cents.
        Elliot McGuire/Levitron - Super Framily Apprenticeship Plan (IC)
        John Olson/Spark - Superhuman Defense Organization - America (IC)

Comment

Originally posted by rwknoll View Post
          This has come up on several other threads. Personally, I think it's fine. In addition to being expensive, the biggest thing to remember about reaction teleport is that if they're using it to dodge attacks, they have to perceive the attack in order to teleport out of the way. They can't do it to avoid Perception ranged attacks, Subtle 2 attacks, or some Indirect attacks.

The Reaction extra also means that it only works in response to the specific trigger, so you would need a separate teleport power for typical teleportation-based powers as part of a standard move on your turn. If it's part of an array, that means you can only have the power working about every other round. If it's outside of an array, then you are paying a lot for that ability, which means it's harder to abuse.

Just my two cents.
          why couldn't they do it to avoid a perception attack? couldn't they just port to where the person can no longer perceive them? the power profile states that adding selective to the reaction means they can port "at will" therefore no longer limited by a given trigger so they could for instance take their turn and then port to a hiding place because the reaction was they wanted to. Unless that power profile is just poorly written and does not mean what it says which is possible I haven't seen errata for it.

Comment

I don't think the Selective would let you decide whether or not to teleport in reaction at the time if that's what you're asking. It would probably let you modify the trigger, though. Take, for example, Selective Energy Aura. It lets you decide to have the fire cover your hands only, but if someone reflexively reaches out to grab your hand when they're falling, it doesn't let you decide to have your hands not be on fire for that person. Similarly, I could see someone with a Teleport To A Safe Location When Hurt power instead modify it slightly so that it's only if they're badly hurt (Dazed) or hold it in their mind that they're not going to jump when The TV Doctor gives them the vaccine shot they need to survive the plague.
            [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
            [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

I guess the confusion lies in the wording "at will" which to me at least means whenever I want to for whatever reason. The use on selective on aura is different in that what you are selecting is where not when ie where on my body is this aura gonna be vs I want to port now vs later.

Comment

I was under the impression that "Selective" refers to who is effected. So that a Selective Aura would only burn say, your enemies, or a selective perception area effect would only effect, the individuals of your choosing who heard/saw the effect.

Comment

You're right. There's even an example cited in the D20 Hero SRD:
                  When the triggering circumstance occurs, the effect activates automatically, even if it is not the character’s turn. The user can only prevent the reaction effect from occurring by choosing to deactivate the effect entirely (as a free action), in which case no circumstance will trigger it. For the ability to choose to have some triggering circumstances activate the effect and some not, apply the Selective modifier as well.

Example: The villain Shoktor can create an aura of electricity around his body, damaging anyone or anything touching him. This is a Reaction Damage effect, causing Damage when Shoktor is touched. Of course, Shoktor’s aura zaps anyone or anything touching him, including his allies! The only way he can prevent this is to turn the aura off altogether. If Shoktor possessed the ability to have his aura only damage people and things he wants it to damage, he would need to have the Selective modifier applied to the effect as well.

Given the ways in which 3E has streamlined things, I'm guessing that the ability to only electrify part of his body would fall under the same aegis. Or, possibly, Precise might be used for that case.

I would still argue that it's a matter of changing the conditions in some small way prior to triggering rather than being able to change it at the time of triggering.

[url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
                    You're right. There's even an example cited in the D20 Hero SRD:
                    [/I]

Given the ways in which 3E has streamlined things, I'm guessing that the ability to only electrify part of his body would fall under the same aegis. Or, possibly, Precise might be used for that case.

I would still argue that it's a matter of changing the conditions in some small way prior to triggering rather than being able to change it at the time of triggering.
                    If I remember correctly that fell under precise in both 2E and 3E for auras.
                    Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
                    [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1835-Digital-s-Daemons"]My character library[/URL]

Comment

as written I still feel like it is saying you can select any cause to be the thing which creates the reaction of in this particular power profile example a teleport, and the profile itself literally states that this results in your being able to teleport "at will" so basically the trigger for the reaction of teleport is "I chose to" does not require any attack or damage or anything external to the character to trigger any longer the trigger becomes literally just the conscious choice of the character. This can of course be prevented by placing the character in a state where they cannot make conscious choices, incapacitated, asleep, mind controlled etc. However, as written until someone is able to put the character down they can port around all day regardless of the turn base or action economy. Perhaps I'm seeing something that isn't there, or hugely misinterpreting the raw. I felt that this was the black and white reading of what the power states that it does, in which case I submitted my interpretation this particular power is abusive if not totally broken. For some reason I seem to be the only person who is interpreting the text in question in this particular way.

Comment

I agree with you that an interpretation that it would let you change the conditions on the fly to avoid all damage would be faulty. Being able to do it "at will" as a Move action with a 1-2 pp Feat seems fair to me, as you're paying a higher cost for Reaction and then paying a few more points to include a trigger that you can trigger at will. I'd probably need some degree of fluff for it from the character though.

Comment

Working...
                        X