Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mutants and Masterminds book recommendations

Hi

I'm looking to pick up a few pdfs of older books from the Green Ronin store and was wondering what people would recommend getting?

I've got all the DC books and everything for 3rd ed except Gadget guide and the gm shield

2nd ed I've got the main book, wild cards, freedoms most wanted, worlds of freedom and freedom city.

Re: Mutants and Masterminds book recommendations

if you need ready-made NPCs/villains, go for Paragons, Lockdown and Wild Cards: Aces & Jokers

Gold, Silver and Iron Age for thematic use (and DAMN fine writing)

Book of Magic outlines the arts arcane for the FC 'verse

Hero High

Comment

Crooks is worthwhile for some very well-written characters (the builds get a little iffy, but you'll be converted those anyhow) and artwork. In my opinion, Freedom's Most Wanted was a little bit less so, although still good.
      [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
      [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Personally, I've found the 3e "Gamemaster's Guide" the most recurrently useful publication in actual play, especially the Villain Archetypes, the Plots, and section on Villainous Lairs.

I found the 2e "Silver Age Sourcebook" the most entertaining publication to read, especially the sections summarizing the real-world history of the time in a fantastically sardonic voice, as well as the wealth of spot-on content about the Bronze Age.

As someone who loved the original "Stronghold" supplement for "Champions" as a high school kid in the mid-1980s, and who was captivated back then by the very concept of an actual super-prison (despite the supplement only being, like, 20 pages long), I was completely blown away by "Lockdown." While reading "Lockdown," that original "Stronghold" book suddenly seemed rudimentary and incomplete.

Comment

Originally posted by dan2448 View Post
          As someone who loved the original "Stronghold" supplement for "Champions" as a high school kid in the mid-1980s, and who was captivated back then by the very concept of an actual super-prison (despite the supplement only being, like, 20 pages long), I was completely blown away by "Lockdown." While reading "Lockdown," that original "Stronghold" book suddenly seemed rudimentary and incomplete.
          Was there actually a Stronghold book? I know there was a Stronghold section in the back of Classic Enemies, which I was also captivated by in high-school, though in my case that was the 90's, not so much the 80's.

I still have my copy of that book, though its pretty ratty these days (I did get it second hand in the 90's after all).
          “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”

-Doctor Who

Comment

Originally posted by saint_matthew View Post
            Was there actually a Stronghold book? I know there was a Stronghold section in the back of Classic Enemies, which I was also captivated by in high-school, though in my case that was the 90's, not so much the 80's.
            Great question, Saint Matthew. Before "Classic Enemies" was published for the 4th edition of "Champions" in the early 1990s, "Stronghold" was originally published in, I think, 1981 or 1982 for the 2nd edition of the game. It stayed in print for several years after that and I bought it as a teenager in my local comic book store about 1985. The full title was "Escape From Stronghold." But the "Escape From" part was in much smaller print on the cover. If you're intrigued, I noticed just now that a Google search for "Escape From Stronghold Hero Games" brought up several images of it.

I thought it was so great at the time. But by the time I was reading "Lockdown," I owned an iPhone. When I read that original "Escape From Stronghold" 30 years ago, no one I knew owned any sort of mobile phone. My family placed all its phone calls back then on a land line in the kitchen with a really long cord.

Comment

Great question, Saint Matthew. Before "Classic Enemies" was published for the 4th edition of "Champions" in the early 1990s, "Stronghold" was originally published in, I think, 1981 or 1982 for the 2nd edition of the game. It stayed in print for several years after that and I bought it as a teenager in my local comic book store about 1985. The full title was "Escape From Stronghold." But the "Escape From" part was in much smaller print on the cover. If you're intrigued, I noticed just now that a Google search for "Escape From Stronghold Hero Games" brought up several images of it.
              LOL, that is some truly hideous cover art.

Was it much of a module? The Classic enemies book had no module it was just the best of the best villains & then like 17 pages of "this is stronghold." Even so it is a much loved book, kind of like a portal into comic books, like the old "whose who in the DC universe" comic guides were in many ways. If I ever wrote a villain book I'd totally style it after the "whose who in the DC universe" layout.

I thought it was so great at the time. But by the time I was reading "Lockdown," I owned an iPhone. When I read that original "Escape From Stronghold" 30 years ago, no one I knew owned any sort of mobile phone. My family placed all its phone calls back then on a land line in the kitchen with a really long cord.
              LOL, in the 90's in Australia we were still using a land line in the lounge room, with a really long cord too.
              “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”

-Doctor Who

Comment

Originally posted by FuzzyBoots View Post
                Crooks is worthwhile for some very well-written characters (the builds get a little iffy, but you'll be converted those anyhow) and artwork. In my opinion, Freedom's Most Wanted was a little bit less so, although still good.
                Thanks for the suggestions everybody.

For some reason, I got it into my head that crooks was basically subsumed into Freedom City. I take it that isn't the case then?

As for Lockdown, I've got Gramercy Island for Heroes Unlimited, which covers me there

The three Age books are worth getting then and there always seems to be a lot of love for Hero High. Is Worlds of Magic any good?

Are any of the pdf adventures or the annuals worth getting?

Comment

Originally posted by Corrigon View Post

For some reason, I got it into my head that crooks was basically subsumed into Freedom City. I take it that isn't the case then?

As for Lockdown, I've got Gramercy Island for Heroes Unlimited, which covers me there

The three Age books are worth getting then and there always seems to be a lot of love for Hero High. Is Worlds of Magic any good?

Are any of the pdf adventures or the annuals worth getting?

Crooks was a separate setting distinct from Freedom city. I believe there's only a 2E pdf version of it only.
                  I would love to see all the Crooks characters converted to 3E. Only a few such as the Clique and
                  the Atomic skull were converted to 3E in the deluxe 3E rulebook.

I would wait for the 3E version of Hero High coming up soon. Presumably it will have the same info plus
                  some updated stuff. Worlds of magic is pretty good only if you're into magic. Still, it does have a lot
                  of useful magical archetypes.

I have Lockdown and it is sweet. It's useful for any comicbook setting. Heck, I converted the prison
                  into a military base, superhero HQ, and a supervillians lair. I did wish there were more pages on the
                  small town of Buckner Ridge useful for a "SmallVille" campaign.

Not sure about the adventures and annals as they're more specific. More of a case by case matter.

Comment

Originally posted by saint_matthew View Post
                    LOL, that is some truly hideous cover art.

Was it much of a module?
                    That's it!

By modern standards, it's not much of a module, per se. I just pulled my childhood copy out of a closet, and it's a mere 23 pages long. (The final, 24th page is, literally, blank.) There's a 4-page section near the end with a handful of scenario ideas described in a few paragraphs each. The booklet is mostly a description of the Stronghold facility (and its gonzo 1970s-style robots). But I loved it in its day.

Comment

Originally posted by Corrigon View Post

I totally understand. I bought a copy of "Gramercy Island" a few years ago on ebay myself, despite never having played "Heroes Unlimited." I bought it because I always liked the idea of 'super prisons' and thought an Alcatraz-style island prison was an intriguing one. I enjoyed reading through the book. But my lingering impression from a single read-through a few years ago was that much of the book was write-ups of super-villains and that the whole thing had a 1990s, dark and gritty feel.

"Lockdown" is lighter. It's also printed in color as opposed to B&W. And I hope I'm not giving anything away by saying that there's more going on there than it seems at first, which I thought was great, and which could be the basis for the plots of a number of adventures.

Comment

For older official M&M books, I highly recommend Crooks!, Book of Magic, Paragons, Hero High (keep in mind a 3e one is due out), Agents of Freedom and Lockdown. Time of Crisis is one of the best modules you can snag and is just a ton of fun to run. There are also two pages of free adventures here.

If you delve into the third party books, there are several companies such as Fainting Goat, Vigilance Press and Xion Studio (where my Acts of Villainy characters are sold -Shameless Plug Sketch) that make some great products.
                        DT Butchino | Writer, Designer, Illustrator | Sketchpad Studio
                        [url=http://www.rpgnow.com/browse.php?manufacturers_id=648]Get VILLAINOUS with the Acts of Villainy Line for M&M3e.[/url]

Comment

You know no one has mentioned the 2E Mecha and Manga plus Warriors and Warlock books.
                          Both books really encapsulated their respective genres so well. Of course, it's only useful
                          to people who are interested in the Anime and Fantasy genres. While the Supernatural
                          book covered the horror genre.

The only genre missing is scifi. Although presumably the upcoming cosmic handbook will
                          cover that niche.

Comment

Buy them all.

Easy observation, as you travel from 1e to 3e and trace the mechanical evolution.

Plus, your shelf gets cred
                            [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1243-My-Dream-House"]My Dream House[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by HustlerOne View Post
                              You know no one has mentioned the 2E Mecha and Manga plus Warriors and Warlock books.
                              Both books really encapsulated their respective genres so well. Of course, it's only useful
                              to people who are interested in the Anime and Fantasy genres. While the Supernatural
                              book covered the horror genre.

The only genre missing is scifi. Although presumably the upcoming cosmic handbook will
                              cover that niche.
                              I highly recommend both of these. Of course I play fantasy games with M&M mechanics on a regular basis. I don't pull it out on a regular basis much anymore, but it was a great tool for learning how to handle/play fantasy games in M&M. Still useful at times for a quick reference on feats, skills uses in fantasy settings, and quick racial templates.

Until Gadget Guides came out for 3E (which I still need to pick up) Mecha and Manga was the go to book for robots or mechs too. Plus cool stuff for martial arts, chi powers, pet sidekicks and more.
                              Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
                              [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1835-Digital-s-Daemons"]My character library[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                              X