Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lucky Strike ...errrr Critical

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lucky Strike ...errrr Critical

    1) Do you have to confirm Critical Hits in MnM 3E?

    2) Can you have an extremely to hit bonus and rely only critical hits with attacks?

    EX: PL 10
    Stregnth 1
    Fight 0
    Close Combat (Unarmed)0
    Improved Critical 4 (16-20)

    Unarmed +0 Damage 1

    Say the PC is just not lucky. Can you they technically get by by relying on rolling 16 or better just to hit a target?

    3) Can this be augmented by Luck Advantage?

    EX: PL 10
    Stregnth 1
    Fight 0
    Close Combat (Unarmed)0
    Improved Critical 4 (16-20)
    Luck 5 (1/2 PL)

    Unarmed +0 Damage 1

    This gives finite number of chances to hit a target but none the less give the PC an option to try again.

  • #2
    Re: Lucky Strike ...errrr Critical

    1. No you do not have to "confirm criticals".

    2. While yes, it is possible to do this, it's a) not very viable given how it's an ineffective strategy and b) GMs aren't (and I mean shouldn't and wouldn't if the GM is actually decent at their role as GM) allow someone with such poor accuracy and ranks access to all four ranks of Improved Critical on such an attack, since having the Improved Critical advantage means you are very good at using the attack, which is typically signified by high accuracy or high damage.

    3. Luck is finite, and at PL 10, caps out at 5. So, yes, you can use Luck to reroll attack rolls, but you're only going to have 5 shots of using Luck to make sure you don't miss in an entire scene, and you can only use 1 Luck each turn (iirc, someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Luck re-freshes whenever your GM says it does, but that's usually at the end of the session, which is to say reliance upon luck to succeed in landing a critical is a terrible idea. Not only is it a bad idea from a mechanics standpoint (though legally allowed), it's also just poor tactics. So while (I think) I understand where you're coming from with this, I'll just simply say: Bad Idea. Try approaching this a different way.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Lucky Strike ...errrr Critical

      While you don't have a separate roll to confirm criticals, only a roll of 20 is an automatic hit. So if your character rolls an 18 with an attack bonus of +0 and the opponent's defense is 20, you miss regardless of ranks of Improved Critical. Additonally, even a roll of 20 is only a critical hit if the attack would hit the opponent's defense normally.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Lucky Strike ...errrr Critical

        If I'm reading you right I kinda like the idea of a guy who isn't good but is very lucky.

        ...and why do I have an image of him thrashing villains with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth (this must be silver age) and then giving me a commercial about the health benefits of smoking. Or gaining his abilities from his irradiated Tobacco plant.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Lucky Strike ...errrr Critical

          Originally posted by Jhyarelle79 View Post
          1) Do you have to confirm Critical Hits in MnM 3E?
          No.

          2) Can you have an extremely to hit bonus and rely only critical hits with attacks?

          Say the PC is just not lucky. Can you they technically get by by relying on rolling 16 or better just to hit a target?
          Yes, but it isn't a critical hit unless the attack would have succeeded anyway. So you're spending 4 PP per attack to go from a 5% chance of hitting to a 25% chance (+20%). Those same 4 PP could have given you +8 to your Close Combat or Ranged Combat skill, which would have improved your odds of hitting by +40% in most circumstances!

          This is why Improved Critical is better as an add-on to an attack that you're already skilled with, not to rely on as your only way to hit.

          3) Can this be augmented by Luck Advantage?
          Sure, but if you're relying on Luck that heavily, you're going to run out pretty quickly. (Also, that Luck 5 could have instead bought another +10 to skill!)
          [B][URL="http://www.mygurps.com/mm3e.shtml"]My Collection of M&M (3E) House Rules[/URL][/B]
          Including . . .[LIST][*]Combat "Boosts," Investigation Montages, and more[*]New Powers, Advantages, and Gear[*]Worked Examples and Rules Clarifications[/LIST]

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Lucky Strike ...errrr Critical

            Originally posted by kariggi View Post
            If I'm reading you right I kinda like the idea of a guy who isn't good but is very lucky.

            ...and why do I have an image of him thrashing villains with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth (this must be silver age) and then giving me a commercial about the health benefits of smoking. Or gaining his abilities from his irradiated Tobacco plant.
            You get it. It's like Pop-Eye back way back then when he can't land a hit on Brutus, then pops a can of spinach open and some whoop-ass. Sometimes you just have bad luck. You can justify it more by say giving the PC an Aura of Bad Luck that has a defined radius that diminishes Parry and dodge of any body near them. Their practically useless in a fight but evens out as being around them is debilitating to others.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Lucky Strike ...errrr Critical

              If you're looking for a way to make someone unlucky, the Unreliable flaw (-1 pp/rank) is worth a look.
              Elliot McGuire/Levitron - Super Framily Apprenticeship Plan (IC)
              John Olson/Spark - Superhuman Defense Organization - America (IC)

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Lucky Strike ...errrr Critical

                Originally posted by Jhyarelle79 View Post
                You get it. It's like Pop-Eye back way back then when he can't land a hit on Brutus, then pops a can of spinach open and some whoop-ass. Sometimes you just have bad luck. You can justify it more by say giving the PC an Aura of Bad Luck that has a defined radius that diminishes Parry and dodge of any body near them. Their practically useless in a fight but evens out as being around them is debilitating to others.
                If someone hits while being lucky rather than good, but generally hits at about the same frequency, you can still use attack bonus to achieve that. Make it Enhanced Attack Bonus and put it into a power if you want it to be based off a Luck power. Like I pointed out earlier, relying on criticals when you have a low attack bonus probably isn't going to work.

                If he makes other people around him lucky, use the Luck Control power.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Lucky Strike ...errrr Critical

                  Originally posted by kenmadragon View Post
                  1. No you do not have to "confirm criticals".

                  2. While yes, it is possible to do this, it's a) not very viable given how it's an ineffective strategy and b) GMs aren't (and I mean shouldn't and wouldn't if the GM is actually decent at their role as GM) allow someone with such poor accuracy and ranks access to all four ranks of Improved Critical on such an attack, since having the Improved Critical advantage means you are very good at using the attack, which is typically signified by high accuracy or high damage.
                  The latter is entirely interpretative, and Improved Critical can mean a lot of things. High ranks of Improved Critical is a problem or it isn't.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Lucky Strike ...errrr Critical

                    Originally posted by Darkdreamer View Post
                    The latter is entirely interpretative, and Improved Critical can mean a lot of things.
                    In simple terms all I was trying to imply was can a +0 attack bonus and maxed Improved Critical x4 still technically hit a target. Here's how I see it, the d20 is numbered 1-20. Improved Crit makes it critically hit (hit well, well enough for bonuses to to dmg or whatever) on a number rolled below 20. Now a nat-roll of 20 always hit and since its a crit it has added effects. My delusion is interpreting Improved Crit 4 as so; The d20 is now numbered as such: 1-15 and four 20's replacing 16-19. So when you roll a 16, 17, 18 or 19 it "always hit" as if it were a nat-20. No application of bonuses needed like extra degree of success for over coming toughness saves.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Lucky Strike ...errrr Critical

                      No

                      Only a natural '20' is a natural '20', and I believe you have to hit by a given margin for even that '20' to be a critical hit.

                      Edit: Nope just equal to or better than -

                      critical hit (also crit): ... and the attack
                      total must equal or exceed the target’s Defense. ...
                      Last edited by kariggi; 10-23-2014, 01:19 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Lucky Strike ...errrr Critical

                        Originally posted by Jhyarelle79 View Post
                        In simple terms all I was trying to imply was can a +0 attack bonus and maxed Improved Critical x4 still technically hit a target. Here's how I see it, the d20 is numbered 1-20. Improved Crit makes it critically hit (hit well, well enough for bonuses to to dmg or whatever) on a number rolled below 20. Now a nat-roll of 20 always hit and since its a crit it has added effects. My delusion is interpreting Improved Crit 4 as so; The d20 is now numbered as such: 1-15 and four 20's replacing 16-19. So when you roll a 16, 17, 18 or 19 it "always hit" as if it were a nat-20. No application of bonuses needed like extra degree of success for over coming toughness saves.
                        Look at the critical hit rules on page 240 (if you have the deluxe heroes handbook). Like kariggi said, only a 20 is an automatic hit.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Lucky Strike ...errrr Critical

                          Originally posted by Shock View Post
                          Look at the critical hit rules on page 240 (if you have the deluxe heroes handbook). Like kariggi said, only a 20 is an automatic hit.
                          Dang, I missed that rule, probably because it's literally never had an opportunity to come up. (Every super I've played with who takes Increased Crit also tends to be attack-shifted.) So this bit of cheesemongering isn't even legit.
                          [B][URL="http://www.mygurps.com/mm3e.shtml"]My Collection of M&M (3E) House Rules[/URL][/B]
                          Including . . .[LIST][*]Combat "Boosts," Investigation Montages, and more[*]New Powers, Advantages, and Gear[*]Worked Examples and Rules Clarifications[/LIST]

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X