Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transitioning between "Alternate Effect" of powers and Some CP management query?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transitioning between "Alternate Effect" of powers and Some CP management query?

I'm trying to build a speedster legally and conserve CP in the process. I figures that "Alternate Effect" was key to shaving some points and put them else where, but a problem came up. If you have a power with multiple "Alternate Effects", how fast can you switch between them? Is it during the PC's turn, as a free action or reaction? Also if the "Alternate Effect" is on or in use, then the original effect is technically turned off or not in use right?

EX:
    Super Speed: Speed 10, Quickness 10 20 points + 4 points of Alternate Effects
    Permeate 3
    Safe Fall
    Wall Crawling 2
    Water Walking

Ok Speed 10 and Quickness 10 means I can move up to 2000 mph, while doing something that takes 1 hour in 3 seconds....right?
    I the "Alternate Effect" Water Walking is turned on or active, does it mean that both Speed and Quickness is tech turned off? So my PC cam move on water normally not at Speed 10 nor can he do 1 hours worth of work in 3 second on water right?

So how can I make decent speedster at a 150 CP? The GM's kit is ok but since the points pinpoint distributed there's no room for tweeks.

Re: Transitioning between "Alternate Effect" of powers and Some CP management query?

You can switch an alternate effect as a free action, only on your turn. And you can only switch between a set of alternate effects once per turn.

If you're looking to save points here, I'd leave the Speed outside the array and put Wall Crawling, Water walkign and Permeate as an alternate effect of the Quickness. Then he could still move at his full speed over water or up walls, he just couldn't count a bag full of sand at the same time.

Safe fall you probably want outside the array so that you can use it if you get knocked off a height on someone else's turn.
    Apprentice Mastermind:
    Assorted Builds: [url]https://calubrecht.us/mutantsAndMasterminds/miscreants.html[/url]

Comment

Re: Transitioning between "Alternate Effect" of powers and Some CP management query?

Do you have the 3e players book? I'm pretty sure in the Origin's section there is a Speedster archetype represented, built at PL 10 and 150 points. it should give you all you're looking for, and you can tweak things up or down to suit your tastes.

Originally posted by Jhyarelle79 View Post
      I'm trying to build a speedster legally and conserve CP in the process. I figures that "Alternate Effect" was key to shaving some points and put them else where, but a problem came up. If you have a power with multiple "Alternate Effects", how fast can you switch between them? Is it during the PC's turn, as a free action or reaction? Also if the "Alternate Effect" is on or in use, then the original effect is technically turned off or not in use right?

EX:
      Super Speed: Speed 10, Quickness 10 20 points + 4 points of Alternate Effects
      Permeate 3
      Safe Fall
      Wall Crawling 2
      Water Walking

Ok Speed 10 and Quickness 10 means I can move up to 2000 mph, while doing something that takes 1 hour in 3 seconds....right?
      I the "Alternate Effect" Water Walking is turned on or active, does it mean that both Speed and Quickness is tech turned off? So my PC cam move on water normally not at Speed 10 nor can he do 1 hours worth of work in 3 second on water right?

So how can I make decent speedster at a 150 CP? The GM's kit is ok but since the points pinpoint distributed there's no room for tweeks.

Comment

Working...
      X