Defensive Roll and Impervious Query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defensive Roll and Impervious Query

You can avoid damage through agility and “rolling” with an attack. You receive a bonus to your Toughness equal to your advantage rank, but it is considered an active defense similar to Dodge and Parry (see Active Defenses in the Abilities chapter), so you lose this bonus whenever you are vulnerable or defenseless.
    Please clarify?

EX: PC has Def Roll 2 and Toughness 1
    Does this mean if an attack is successful you add +12 to Toughness resistance of 1 for that successful attack since that DR rank counts as an active defense?

Also for the extra Impervious:
    I understand Impervious X means that you ignore damage dealt to you equal to 1/2 of X. What happens when the Impervious Rank is lower than the attack damage?

EX: Impervious Toughness 10 (ignores damage 5) and attack damage rank is 10? Is the damage reduce by the Impervious rank effect?

Re: Defensive Roll and Impervious Query

Originally posted by Jhyarelle79 View Post
    EX: PC has Def Roll 2 and Toughness 1
    Does this mean if an attack is successful you add +12 to Toughness resistance of 1 for that successful attack since that DR rank counts as an active defense?
    Not quite.

Defensive Roll is effectively a bonus to your Toughness, so long as the character's is able to actively defend themselves. In other words, so long as they're mobile and aware enough to try to protect themselves from being hurt.

So, using your example, if a character had a base Toughness of 1 and 2 ranks Defensive Roll, their effective Toughness would be 3. When rolling a Toughness check to resist damage, they'd only add 3 to the result.

Something to note is that the text for the Defensive Roll Advantage states that the character loses the bonus when Vulnerable or Defenseless, but normally active defenses are only halved when Vulnerable. I think the argument could be made either way, but at my table, the character only loses half the bonus of Defensive Roll when Vulnerable.

Originally posted by Jhyarelle79 View Post
    Also for the extra Impervious:
    I understand Impervious X means that you ignore damage dealt to you equal to 1/2 of X. What happens when the Impervious Rank is lower than the attack damage?

EX: Impervious Toughness 10 (ignores damage 5) and attack damage rank is 10? Is the damage reduce by the Impervious rank effect?
    Nope. Any Damage total over and above the Impervious value is treated normally with no reduction.
    Punching For Justice

Comment

Re: Defensive Roll and Impervious Query

Assuming 3e, as I don't have 2e

Defensive Roll 2 and Toughness 1 is:

Toughness 3/1*

*Without Defensive Roll

For Impervious, it doesn't subtract or reduce anything, you just ignore effects if half your Impervious defense, divided by 2, rounded up is greater than or equal to the effect rank. So, if you have Impervious Toughness rank 9 you ignore Damage of rank 5 or less, but need to save vs damage of rank 6 more.

Penetrating then modifies this so, if you ignore the full effect ranks you instead need to resist the DC for ranks equal to the Penetrating level. Impervious Toughness rank 9 hit Damage 5 (Penetrating 3) would need to save against 3 damage, Damage 6 (Penetrating 3) would need to save against 6 damage.

Comment

Working...
      X