[3E] Summon Power Question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [3E] Summon Power Question.

I was reading through Power Profiles: Summoning Powers, and I came across the Animation power. I'm a little puzzled by the build though. Would not a power like Animation require something like the 'Variable Type' modifier? If not, why? What does the Variable Type modifier do as it pertains to the Summon power?

Any help's appreciated, thanks.

Re: [3E] Summon Power Question.

The base Summon Effect summons a minion with the same stats every time. When you apply the Variable Extra, the player can choose to change the build of the summoned creature/construct.

So, presumably with the Animation Effect as it's constructed in the Powers Profile, it could be used to imbue any sort of object with a semblance of life, but regardless of what the object being animated is, it will always have the same stats. A chair might walk on it's four legs, while a rug could flop about, but they'd move at the same speed and deal with rough terrain in the same way.

Does that help?
    Punching For Justice

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
      The base Summon Effect summons a minion with the same stats every time. When you apply the Variable Extra, the player can choose to change the build of the summoned creature/construct.

So, presumably with the Animation Effect as it's constructed in the Powers Profile, it could be used to imbue any sort of object with a semblance of life, but regardless of what the object being animated is, it will always have the same stats. A chair might walk on it's four legs, while a rug could flop about, but they'd move at the same speed and deal with rough terrain in the same way.

Does that help?

So what you're saying is, to have the above mentioned rug be able to leap at an attack and smother them but wrapping itself around them (Affliction: Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated), I'd need to apply the variable extra? What level determines that? The Summon power has both general and broad variable extras, so I'm confused as to what the +2 allows you to do that the +1 doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Teapot Tempest View Post
        So what you're saying is, to have the above mentioned rug be able to leap at an attack and smother them but wrapping itself around them (Affliction: Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated), I'd need to apply the variable extra?
        Well, more specifically what I'm saying is that if you were to use the Animation power as it's laid out in the Power Profile and you were to build the minion summoned with it so it has that Affliction, than any object you were to use Animation would also have that Affliction, because it would all use the same build. I think in this specific case you could attribute different actions to the object depending on what it is that was animated, but the core build never changes. So the rug could "suffocate" and the chair could "bash across the back of the head", but it's all still Affliction: Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated. Adding the Variable Extra would let you change the Affliction, or any other aspect of the minion build, as you see appropriate.

I hate to be obtuse, and it sounds as though you do get it, but I'm trying to err on the side of clarity.

Originally posted by Teapot Tempest View Post
        The Summon power has both general and broad variable extras, so I'm confused as to what the +2 allows you to do that the +1 doesn't.
        That's going to be open to interpretation, and is something the player would want to talk about with the GM to find what works best for that game, and is appropriate for the specific vision the player has for their character.

So, we're already dealing with inanimate objects which is already a fairly Broad group, but might be too broad if the GM is concerned about the power running amuck. The specific examples I've given have pretty much been household furnishings, which could probably fall into either category, but I'd say is General, just based on the limited applications. If your character as the ability to remote access and control any vehicle, that would be a Broad group, but if they're limited to animating just cars, that's a General group. The argument could be made that toys should be a Broad group, but if the character can only animate dolls, that's a General group for sure.

The determining factors are basically going to come down to how specific and narrow the group is, and how easily accessible those items are. After that it's a judgement call.
        Punching For Justice

Comment

The way it worked in 2E was that the Animate was sort of a combination of +1 Extra: Objects can have a wide variety of powers and a -1 Flaw: Object powers are under control of the GM, not the player, coming out to a +0 modifier. So, you didn't really get to decide that the animated skull got fire breath and flying. Rather, the GM decides "OK, an animated skull should be able to roll around and do a bite attack, right? That's what the points are going for". Animating the same objects will get you the same powers.
          [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
          [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Working...
          X