No announcement yet.

Something fun - Create that power game?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something fun - Create that power game?

Just a little something of a fun idea, but what if there was a forum game of power creating? Like we pick something from a game or movie or tv show and then try to come up with the way of doing it that fit? I'd imagine it would help with creating a big depository of various powers
    Triskavanski's Graveyard of Characters

Re: Something fun - Create that power game?

I know a lot of people get their kicks doing that in the Roll Call thread, but I think this is a neat idea and I would enjoy reading the thread.
    Elliot McGuire/Levitron - Super Framily Apprenticeship Plan (IC)
    John Olson/Spark - Superhuman Defense Organization - America (IC)

Comment

being as though you already started this one lets just have it here. Here are a few challenges off the top of my head. 1.a tackle power american football not fishing. 2. a submission hold like in professional wrestling 3. a high risk of self injury/ high reward type move also like in professional wrestling 4. break the wrist walk away 5. hit them with the ugly stick 7. narutos harem jutsu 8.sharingan bakugan and riningan from naruto 9. I know kung fu and other learn it now cause Im in the matrix type abilities 10. a pokeball. that should be a good start.

Comment

Sounds fun, I'm down.
        Punching For Justice

Comment

one Ive been mulling over is a super athletics feature where you can now use your athletics check to get temporary movement powers, eg in raw you can get speed, but also giving a rank of leaping, or swimming.

Comment

Naruto's Harem Jutsu should me Duplication with a linked Morph. Pretty simple.

Sharingan would be basically Senses + Increased Range Affliction (hypnosis stuff) + Enhanced Insight + Mimic.
            Byakugan could be accomplished with Enhanced Awareness + Senses
            Rinnegan is just OP^^

Comment

Originally posted by rlwr View Post
              1.a tackle power american football not fishing.
              I figure the end goal of a solid tackle should leave a target Prone and Immobile, both 2nd degree conditions.
              Tackle - Affliction (Impaired/Hindered>Prone/Immobile); Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Strength; Extra Condition +1; Grab-based -1, Limited Degree -1 = 1p / 2 ranks.
              Tackles are usually done at the end of Move Actions, so it could also work with Charge or Slam Attacks. If you want a really hard (ie Damaging) Tackle, link Damage to it.
              I thought about adding Cumulative, but that would really be for either hanging on or multiple tacklers. If a grabber hanging on wanted to improve his grip, I say he tries again as a standard grab (although the target is probably at least Impaired) unless he has some kind of constricting powers. As for gangs of tacklers, they can use the Team Attack and Aid rules.
              Also, you could do all this just with maneuvers. Move or Charge/Slam to Grab = 0p. Add in Fast Grab (1p) and your Slam can do damage and be a Grab as a Reaction.

2. a submission hold like in professional wrestling
              The Power Profiles actually have a Sleeper Hold, which is a Fort-resisted Progressive Grab-based Affliction (Dazed>Stunned>Incap) for 2p/rank. The Chokehold Advantage could also work; less effective, but far cheaper.

3. a high risk of self injury/ high reward type move also like in professional wrestling
              Decide on the "reward" (particular Affliction, extra Damage, higher Attack bonus/Accuracy, maybe some Improved Crit ranks) and just apply one rank of Side Effect to it, with the side effect being self-inflicted Damage or Affliction on failing to hit. For greater risk (and fewer points), combine it with Check Required, based on Fighting rank or maybe Expertise: Wrestling. One simple option could be to make the Check Required based on the Attack check for 5 points, so you essentially need to roll 5 over the target's defense (effectively 2 degrees of success) or you take the Side Effect, even if you manage to hit. Check Required can be funny, though, since it can easily make a Flawed Effect cost almost nothing. GM call on whether you can use it.
              Again, Slam has a built-in side effect (doing half damage to the attacker), is a free maneuver, and is arguably a mainstay of professional wrestling.

4. break the wrist walk away
              This kind of move is usually done as a fast response to an attack, the first and only move the defender makes to end a fight quickly, often by a character who specifically warns the attacker that they don't want to fight. Narratively, it's rarely done more than once in a scene. Therefore, you could just build it as a Disabling Affliction (Impair/Disable/Paralyze) and give it a Trigger Extra (possibly Variable, but "target tries to hit me" may be sufficient for some GMs). You could also just use the Affliction with a Ready Action, which is like Trigger except it costs a Standard Action instead of 1p. And of course walking away is a character choice, possibly even a Complication.

5. hit them with the ugly stick
              So actually making them ugly? Weaken Presence may sound good, but it heals back pretty fast unless you make it Sustained or Progressive. A more effective longer-term build would be Affliction (Impaired PRE>Disabled PRE>Transformed: Ugly), Cumulative. Slap Easily Removable on it and now it's a stick! Link in a little damage to make the stick a functional club if you like.

7. narutos harem jutsu
              So he turns himself into a beautiful naked or near-naked woman in order to seduce his target, and this is just a multiple version of that. The most obvious way would be to Summon a Horde of Multiple Minions, with Morph to change to one other look. Alternatively, if you consider the Seduction attack as a particular Affliction, an entire harem seducing is effectively a Multiattack. This is simpler and cheaper, but makes the harem a descriptor, meaning it can't really do anything else. Then again, it could make a good Alternate Effect for the Shadow Clone Technique.
              My old [URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]Atomic Think Tank[/URL] thread
              My current character thread: [URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/6194-The-Sound-of-My-Eyebeams-JDRook-s-builds-and-blather?p=233536&viewfull=1#post233536"]The Sound of my Eyebeams[/URL][URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]
              [/URL]
              I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/transcribe-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?funnel=6e71f15f-207e-49f4-bf35-9ceb23b979a7"]your finished design[/URL] or even [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/create-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?context=advanced_search&context_type=rating&funnel=2014103117123522519608360"]your original concept[/URL]!

Comment

Well, there is a challenge - Unlimited Blade Works skill from Archer/Shiro from Fate/Stay. It has to be below 70 PP.

Comment

8.sharingan bakugan and riningan from naruto
                  Kasseopea got the basics on these, but I thought I'd break it down more. I don't know Naruto, but what I get from the wiki:

Sharingan: Detect Chakra Flow (Visual Sense), Acute - 2p; Counter Concealment (Smoke/Fog) - 2p.
                  - Perception bonus, maybe limited to Visual senses, although that's not a huge limit in visually-dominant setting.
                  - Predicting opponent's movements can just be a descriptor for high Fighting and Defense traits, although things like Assessment, Danger Sense (Visual), Improved Initiative, Interpose, Seize Initiative, and Uncanny Dodge. You could bundle up some of those traits and make them all Sense-Dependent (Visual) to make it cheaper, but you'd lose those traits when blinded.
                  - Mimicking movements is usually a Variable, with the inherent limit of Physical Skills and Advantage, but actual Flaws of requiring observation and only able to use up to the rank of the observed. At Free Action level, that works out to 7p/rank, but since Skills and Advantages are pretty cheap, you can get a lot of them for a few ranks. Variable 2 or 3 should easily be enough for most concepts.
                  - The Eye of Hypnotism would probably be a basic Mind Control Affliction (Dazed>Compelled>Controlled; Perception Ranged, Cumulative; Will-resisted), maybe with a rank of Subtle to make it undetectable without Sharingan senses. The illusion aspect could simply be a descriptor for the Mind Control and the subject resisting it (some good role-play opportunities there), or you could make an Alternate Effect with Illusion (All Senses) Limited to One Subject, Resistible by Will.

Byakugan: Radius and Extended Vision, with the Noticeable Flaw for the white eyes. The "blind spot" should either be a -1p Quirk or a Complication; I lean toward the latter because that's a very small spot, the power is already cheap, and getting Hero Points is awesome.
                  Penetrate Concealment: Vision, Counter All(?) Concealment (and possibly Illusions depending on how your GM groups Concealment powers), Microscopic Vision, Infrared, Detect Chakra Flow as above, although maybe with Analytical as well.
                  Gentle Fist: This is similar to Pressure Points from the Power Profiles, possibly with Subtle to fit the "gentle" idea. Basically an Fort-based Affliction, although you could make it Will-resisted if that works for your Chakra concept, or even use an Alternate Resistance. AEs of different Afflictions could work for various attacks, or use Variable Conditions to be able to change conditions on the fly. It could be considered Sense-Dependent (Byakugan), unless "blinding" Byakugan is rare, in which case it can be a Complication. May also have a Healing AE. Eyestrain would also be a Complication.

Rinnegan: sounds pretty complicated and would take me all day to stat out.

9. I know kung fu and other learn it now cause Im in the matrix type abilities
                  Skill Download is in the Power Profiles, and is pretty obviously inspired by the Matrix. Basically like Skill Mimickry above but without the observation limits.

10. a pokeball. that should be a good start.
                  Easily Removable Summon. Done. The Summon would be your Pokemon.
                  Catching with a Pokeball would be an AE of the Summon, probably a Snare of some type, and relatively low rank since you usually have to wear down Pokemon to catch them. Then again, since there's no partial condition of capturing with a Pokeball, it might work better as a 3rd degree Condition ("Caught!"), Limited to 3rd Degree, Resisted by Strength or Damage.
                  My old [URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]Atomic Think Tank[/URL] thread
                  My current character thread: [URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/6194-The-Sound-of-My-Eyebeams-JDRook-s-builds-and-blather?p=233536&viewfull=1#post233536"]The Sound of my Eyebeams[/URL][URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]
                  [/URL]
                  I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/transcribe-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?funnel=6e71f15f-207e-49f4-bf35-9ceb23b979a7"]your finished design[/URL] or even [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/create-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?context=advanced_search&context_type=rating&funnel=2014103117123522519608360"]your original concept[/URL]!

Comment

I'd like to make a suggestion, based on a character I've been trying to throw together. Aside from the obvious Summon effects, an Indirect Blast effect representing a swooping bird or something, and a Cloud Area Affliction representing a swarm of insects, what other options would make for a Beast Mastery array?
                    SuperFerret's Shoebox of Solitude - My RollCall thread
                    Savage City: Welcome to the Jungle - My Custom M&M Setting

Comment

Well, Environment could be using a bunch of flying things to bloat out the sun.
                      Triskavanski's Graveyard of Characters

Comment

Originally posted by SuperFerret View Post
                        I'd like to make a suggestion, based on a character I've been trying to throw together. Aside from the obvious Summon effects, an Indirect Blast effect representing a swooping bird or something, and a Cloud Area Affliction representing a swarm of insects, what other options would make for a Beast Mastery array?
                        I would also consider the following:
                        • A Communication power, consisting of an "animal messenger" (with a Quirk to account for the delayed time in the message being received). Similarly, you could replace this with Remote Sensing, with a small animal being used as the medium.
                        • Deflect, with animals flying in the way to take the hit
                        • Swimming or Flight, to represent hitching a ride with aquatic or winged creatures (respectively)
                        • A Dazed/Compelled/Controlled Affliction, limited to animals.
                        Elliot McGuire/Levitron - Super Framily Apprenticeship Plan (IC)
                        John Olson/Spark - Superhuman Defense Organization - America (IC)

Comment

what about stating out characters flaws beyond the current just call it a complication and give them a hero point? What does something like prof x having paraplegia look like in game stats?

Comment

what about stating out characters flaws beyond the current just call it a complication and give them a hero point? What does something like prof x having paraplegia look like in game stats?
                            My thinking is that the default assumption for a 0-point character is that it basically has all of the capabilities of an average, relatively untrained human. Anything above that capability (flight, superstrength, good people skills) can be described as a trait. Anything below average human capability (blindness, paraplegia, weakness to kryptonite, uncontrollable temper, etc) can be a Complication. They did have Drawbacks in 2e, but I think that earning Hero Points potentially moves play forward more than a front-end discount on the cost of your character.

That said, Xavier's condition means he can't walk. One could buyback his Agility into the negative ranges (and keep his Dexterity, since he has full use of his hands), but not all the way since Absent Agility would make him a tree or a rock; if necessary he could drag himself around by his arms (technically in the Prone position, so Speed -1 to crawl). He would be an excellent candidate for Speed of Thought so he bases his Initiative on INT.

His chair could be a 0-point descriptor that allows him to move around at Speed 0 like an average human, although you could add traits to it if appropriate, like more speed. The hoverchair might have a rank or two of Sure-footed to get over broken terrain easily, or maybe an Immunity to Ground Effect attacks at half or full. You would probably want to buy the chair as equipment, although if you wanted to do more with it than Charles did, you could make it a Device and possibly get some interesting power stunts out of it.
                            [/URL]

Comment

In 2E Prof X being wheelchair bound would have been a 2-3 PP flaw and a basic wheelchair would probably be a 1 point piece of equipment.

The hoverchair I'd personally build as 1 rank of flight with the flaw of a low ceiling. It comes out a lot cheaper than paying for surefooted and Immunity to ground attacks and gives basically the same result.
                              Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
                              [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1835-Digital-s-Daemons"]My character library[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                              X