Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a power suggestion for Mystery Men themed game.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a power suggestion for Mystery Men themed game.

I'm playing a character in a Mystery Men style game, more based on the movie than the comics (Mostly because the movie is less dark).
    My character goes by Fanboy and he's essentially a guy who looks like a stereotypical hero should: deep booming voice, attractive, his name is Chet Manly, has money from a comic store etc. he only acts like a "sidekick" because he is a 3rd generation of famous fan club operators and fanboys/girls. The idea that he could become the hero has never actually occurred to him

Currently his two powers include power detection with the addons to make it give me all the info, and power enhancement based on him vocally giving people pep talks and suggestions "You're way stronger than that guy" "I bet if you ran fast enough you could run up that wall"

The problem is that in a lower powered game like this, I need something to do in a fight when I can't give someone else a power boost and I'm trying to find something that would be thematically appropriate.

A friend suggested some kind of debuffing power I could use on the enemy to go along with the idea of motivation/demotivation, but I'm not exactly sure what would work for that. I looked at weaken, and that could possibly work, but I'm not sure if it let's you weaken powers, and I would need to be able to have stuff to use it on for both powered and non-powered opponents. Also it kinda looks like without some sort of addon that it only works on one specific thing?

Could go with some other kind of meta-power like he already has, or play up the vocal/sonic/talker angler, but I'm not sure because I don't know the system well enough.

PL8 to start

Re: Need a power suggestion for Mystery Men themed game.

Mimicry, perhaps?

Comment

What about Luck Control? You could use it to aid the other characters on the team, or to hinder the opponents by causing them to have to re-roll.
      Punching For Justice

Comment

You could raise your Intimidation/Persuasion for demoralizing, taunting, feints, startling and so on. Those wouldnt even require any super-powers.

Other than that - check the "Affliction" power out. The way you afflict someone is up to you. You then can pick 3 different afflictions depending on the degree of success you have had with this ability (the enemy resists with will or fortitude - depending on whether the mind or the body is afflicted). This way you may use your voice to mess with the enemies minds, similar to the skill stuff.

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas.

My persuasion is already at a 15 bonus, so it's good, though use in combat is always up to DM purview.

I would do luck control if we didn't already have a party member Ed "Lucky B@stard"

Might have to look into the affliction power when I get home. I'd like for it to be ranged within hearing distance and based on my character being able to speak. Would that still require some kind of attack roll? I know the base power is via a close attack.
          Last edited by togapika; 10-06-2014, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by togapika View Post
            I'd like for it to be ranged within hearing distance and based on my character being able to speak. Would that still require some kind of attack roll? I know the base power is via a close attack.
            Try Area Perception (hearing) all those able to hear you are in the area of effect.

Comment

Originally posted by kariggi View Post
              Try Area Perception (hearing) all those able to hear you are in the area of effect.
              Does that still require an attack roll of some sort, or is it just a will saving throw?

Comment

No to hit roll, just the save.

And you could always do a 'weaken - presence' if you're still thinking demoralize, very fitting for making someone seem less than they are.

or more on the power denial side if the GM would allow a form of 'weaken - advantages' to strip away (appropriate) advantages, especially with the sort of knowing their powers power you have going on.

I'd also want things like Leadership, Redirect, and Set-up with a character like this for sure.

Comment

Working...
                X