X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triskavanski
    started a topic Randomized Effects?

Randomized Effects?

Lets say I have a character who uses a deck of cards, dice, roulette wheels and other gambling things as his devices for his powers.

For example a deck of cards, with a power called 4-Suits. The idea is of course he draws a card from the deck and depending on the suit, unleashes an elemental effect.

Diamonds - Earth
    Hearts - Fire
    Clubs - Wind
    Spades - Water

Each power would have some sort of rider on it too. Exactly how would I go about building this particular power? Would it have the uncontrollable flaw since while I can choose to use 4 suits, I can't chose which elemental it uses? And while the elemental itself isn't really that important (Unless fighting a Fireman, Earth man, waterman or windman or somesuch), the riders could be more so.

• Triskavanski
    replied
    Re: Randomized Effects?

On uncontrolled powers.. One of the characters in DC Heroes and Villians Vol 2, has a power that is uncontrolled but is somehow tied to her primary power.

Leave a comment:

• badpenny
    replied

Alternate Resistance on Affliction is your choice at the time of construction. Neither Will nor Fort is better than the other. Remember, there are two aspects to Affliction:
    • Resistance to the initial effect which determines the degree the target suffers, and
    • Overcoming the effect, or how you free yourself from the effect.

They need not be the same, e.g. Dodge to initially resist, and Damage to overcome: Snare. How "well" your hit with the effect, and then your STR to break out. An entirely mental effect might be both Will to resist and Will to overcome. A Death Touch might be either Dodge to resist or Fort and Fort to overcome. The initial choice for Dodge could be like Snare: how well/how much you are touched will determine how great of an effect. If you were to choose Fort for the initial resistance for this Death Touch, perhaps it's because the touch itself is the key.

Alternate Resistance can create interesting effects. A sword with Alternate Resistance: Parry could cut down a Powerhouse (assuming a low Parry score--it would bypass the Powerhouse's high Toughness entirely), yet also not interact with the physical world at all because objects don't have Parry/Dodge scores.

Leave a comment:

• rwknoll
    replied

That was my understanding. Alternate Resistance sometimes is +0 and other times +1, depending on the resistance chosen. Using Strength as an alternate resistance instead of Fortitude on an Affliction effect, for example, should cost more because it's typically lower than Fort/Will.

Leave a comment:

• thaumonuclear
    replied

The Mental Blast power in the HH is built as Damage: perception range, Alternate resistance Will, for 4pp /rank,
    That puts the Alternate resistance: Will as a +1pp/rank.

Since High Toughness targets also tend to have high fortitude (and thus lower will), this seems appropriate

Leave a comment:

• Kyle
    replied

No, Alternate Resistance costs +0 per rank.

Leave a comment:

• rwknoll
    replied

Would the "Alternate Resistance: Will" be an extra that costs +1/rank? If so, that damage effect in the first power would be 3 points/rank, not 2.

Leave a comment:

• danelsan
    replied

There is really no problem in having a quirk attached to an array when, just like a feature, you could have it attached to nothing at all.

As for having Psi blast + affliction, assuming you also want to be able to do just blast and just affliction, yes, you need 3 powers. To avoid expending tons of points, you would of course have the two linked effects as one power, and each separate effect as an Alternate in an array. Example:

Overwhelm Mind array (40 points)
    Ranged Damage 10, Alternate Resistance (Will), Linked 20 PP
    Ranged Affliction 10 (Resisted and Overcome by Will; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated), Linked 20 PP
    Psychic Blast: Ranged Damage 10, Alternate Resistance (Will) 1PP
    Mental Shutdown:Ranged Affliction 10 (Resisted and Overcome by Will; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) 1PP

Leave a comment:

• Triskavanski
    replied

Well you wouldn't be able to put the quirk onto the array itself, as quirk only affects an effect. I mean if you could, you could just simply use Linked then from the primary power (Four Suits) to the Array of (Four Suits effects)

And if the link must always go together, That means if you have psi-blast and psi-blast + affliction, you've gotta get three different powers right?

Leave a comment:

• Kyle
    replied

When you have two or more Effects with the Linked modifier, all those Effects are activated simultaneously. So Effects in an Array can't be Linked together, because those Effects can't be used at the same time. Does that make sense?

You can choose not to have a Complication if you don't feel it's appropriate for the flavour of the character. Quirk, however, doesn't get you much, and nets you less than Uncontrolled.

My approach would look something like:

Four Suits Deck: Array (30 points ), Quirk (Effect determined by draw of a card) (1 point)
    Hearts: Blast 10, Area (Cone) 30 points
    Diamonds: Create 10, Moveable, Permanent 1 point
    Clubs: Perception Ranged Move Object 10, Damaging, Limited (can only affect water) 1 point
    Spades: Ranged Cumaltive Affliction 10 (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Fortitude; Impaired, Disabled, Unaware), Area (cylinder), Limited (only affects vision) 1 point

Leave a comment:

• Triskavanski
    replied

Its not how link works? Can you explain why?

And I can choose when to use the first part of the power, but the second part isn't under my control. And I dunno. Something just seems wrong with using quirk/complication. Like its too.. not gamblely. You can choose to draw from the deck of many things, but if it screws you over you get something good then too.

How would your version look anyways? With Herolab I can only put quirk in with the powers of the arrays.

Leave a comment:

• Kyle
    replied

That's not how Linked works, and Uncontrollable isn't exactly well suited for the power either. The character still gets to control when the power is used, it's just the result that's left up in the air.

If I were to build a similar power, I would likely just make it an array with a Quirk that the exact power used is determined by the random result. As a GM I would probably allow the inclusion of a Complication for those circumstances when the random result of the power was really poorly suited for the situation at hand, but that's about it.

Leave a comment:

• Triskavanski
    replied

I see. That does work for just changing the element of damage, with no riding effects happening to it.

So what if we did a linked effect for the riders using an Array?

Four Suits - Variable Descriptor (Elements), Ranged, Damage 4r - Quirk (element is chosen by deck of cards and not controlled by player)

Effects Array
    Hearts flame - Linked (Four Suits) Uncontrolled (Only activates when Four Suits is a fire element) Stacks with (Four Suits) Damage 1r, Cone - Secondary Effect.
    Earth Diamond - Linked (Four Suits) Uncontrolled (Only activates when Four Suits is a earth element) Stacks with (Four Suits) Damage 1r, blast - affliction?.
    Club Water - Linked (Four Suits) Uncontrolled (Only activates when Four Suits is a water element) Stacks with (Four Suits) Damage 1r, Cylinder - sleep?
    Winds Spade - Linked (Four Suits) Uncontrolled (Only activates when Four Suits is a fire element) Stacks with (Four Suits) Damage 1r, Cloud - Concealment?

Would something like that kinda work out?

Leave a comment:

• digitalangel
    replied

OK so you are using the power as normal, it can be any of the elements, the player just has to rely on the cards to see which one. That one is easy.

Power: blah, variable descriptor 1 (elements), quirk (element is chosen by deck of cards and not controlled by player)

The variable descriptor and the quirk cancel each other out on cost.

Leave a comment:

• Triskavanski
    replied

If a card is pulled that isn't the desired effect does it do what that card is for no matter what or does it do nothing?
    The action is already announced (Four Suits) so when the card is drawn thats it. The effect will go off. So if its a heart it will do a fire attack. Its possible Fire could be in a cone shape, Water in a cylinder, Earth in a blast and wind in a line as well. Thus increasing the difficulty of using the attacks, as you could be including your allies in the effects.

Its kinda based in part off Dofus's Ecaflip powers and such.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X