Healing Effect, experiences?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Healing Effect, experiences?

I have very rarely seen the Healing effect used in my games, but now I have a player who plans to have a high rank of it for their character and I wanna be prepared. So, what have been your experiences with this powers? Is it balanced? The cost-benefit ratio is ok? Does it take away too much from the tension of combat?

It is looking like it might be too hard to challenge the group if an effective healer is present. In particular, this player is looking to make a Move Action, Selective Area version so that they can heal the entire group most rounds and still contribute offensively with their Standard Action to blast at range, which seems like it might be too much. He is looking at a rank 15 Healing, which guarantees at least one condition cured and easily goes to two, most rounds, for multiple members of the group at once.

I have had some issues with high ranks of Regeneration before, which I solved by balancing it with a higher cost and a "Virtual defensive PL modifer" in that the high regen character was required to be under his caps on defense to compensate. This healer, however, would affect the entire group and It doesn't feel fair to force everyone to lower their defenses.

Also, not the case I have in my hands, but out of curiosity: anyone ever dealt with a case of Reaction Healing, automatically attempting to cure as soon as damage happens? If so, how it affect the game?
    My Deviantart page

Re: Healing Effect, experiences?

Not sure if it makes any difference, but what type of healing are you referring to/does your character have? Mystical healing like that of Doc Strange or the Enchantress or a mutant power to heal ability or more like Angel's healing blood that heals anyone if they receive it as a transfusion or self-healers like Hulk, Beast, Wolverine and Wonder Man?

Comment

Well, first off: don't allow it if you think it's going to be disruptive. Having to take a Standard action at least removes that character from attacking that round, and Selective Area anything is always something watch out for. If you're aware of the impact of Regeneration, and have both increased the cost and factored it into PL trade-offs, I d believe you already have your answer.

I have a character who has Healing, but it's Empathic. It's also a Standard action, and a single person. Most GMs don't have an issue with the power.

Reaction Healing is expensive, and especially without a Source Flaw, it pretty much makes a character unstoppable.

IMO, players take these extremes (Regen 10, tons of Healing) because they want to win. And that's just contrary to good roleplaying.
      Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat

Comment

I've never had any trouble with it. The key is to come up with ways to challenge or threaten the heroes other than direct damage. Healing doesn't effect all conditions, I don't care what the book says, a Cure Serious Wounds spell doesn't untie the bolas wrapped around your feet.

It certainly doesn't tell you where the Conundrum has hidden the nuclear bomb.

Comment

In the last game I played in (as opposed to running), one character was Healing-focused. He had Reaction Selective Area Healing 10 . . . which, weirdly enough, wasn't all that broken, because it was in an array and he usually ended up using one of the more powerful (but not Reaction) abilities in his array.

The one that saw the most use was his Energizing Healing. If anything unbalanced the game, it was that, because it basically meant we could use Extra Effort far more often. It's not that being Fatigued or even Exhausted is all that bad -- it's that you can only do it three times before passing out. When you have an Energizing healer nearby, that's far less of a restriction.

Of course, that said, I think the game ended up being fair because it just upgraded the types of enemies we could face. The GM just bumped the power level of our challenges a bit.
          [B][URL="http://www.mygurps.com/mm3e.shtml"]My Collection of M&M (3E) House Rules[/URL][/B]
          Including . . .[LIST][*]Combat "Boosts," Investigation Montages, and more[*]New Powers, Advantages, and Gear[*]Worked Examples and Rules Clarifications[/LIST]

Comment

When you use the Energizing Extra, you take on the Fatigue condition of those you heal and you cannot use Healing to remove them from yourself--and this means from your own uses of Extra Effort.

Comment

One of my players uses it. One thing I didn't understand until I read the RAW more closely is that you actually need an "attack" roll to make contact with a target, unless you upgrade it to Perception Ranged. So, that extra cost helps keep it from being too powerful. The GM can also get around it with the Incurable modifier on damage effects, unless they have the Persistent modifier.
              Elliot McGuire/Levitron - Super Framily Apprenticeship Plan (IC)
              John Olson/Spark - Superhuman Defense Organization - America (IC)

Comment

That's only true if you're Healing someone against their will.

Comment

Originally posted by badpenny View Post
                  That's only true if you're Healing someone against their will.
                  Referring to Healing with the Ranged modifier:
                  Originally posted by Hero's Handbook, p. 111
                  Ranged: Ranged Healing requires an attack check to “touch” the subject with the Healing effect. The GM may waive the check for a willing subject holding completely still, but the subject is defenseless that round, making it an unwise decision in the midst of combat. +1 cost per rank.

Comment

You don't need an attack roll, nor does the recipient have to become Defenseless, if you use the power at close range.

Comment

I know, and I'm fine with that. My player in particular wanted to be able to do this at Range without the roll, which is why he just paid the extra points to make it Perception Ranged.

Comment

A move action, area burst, selective attack heal will make it very unlikely for the player characters to be defeated with Damage if it is used every round, and if you have issues with Regeneration you are likely to have issues with Reaction Healing.

In situations like this, with a power that is potentially abusive, my response is always "You can have it, but if it turns out to be problematic, you'll be asked to change or remove the power."

I trust my players completely. Anyone who needed a GM to police them all the time would never get into my games in the first place, so I don't want to treat my players as if they might be disruptive or unfair. Besides, I don't want to preemptively say 'no' to everything. Often, whether something is abusive or not depends on the attitude of the player. I would rather wait until it has been demonstrated that something is problematic in practice before taking action.

Comment

I largely agree With Batgirl, it's impressive but it's not a problem -just something that requires you to vary the challenges you present for the group. However, I would refuse the Move Action part. The character should have to choose between contributing defensively or offensively, particularly when the power is that strong.

Besides, powers that affect others are almost never bought below Standard Action and it seems incongruous. I assume you wouldn't allow a Move Action Blast or Dazed/Compelled/Controlled Affliction.

Comment

It can be a pain but its true the game gives GMs a lot of tools, the character I foolishly allowed to have Variable:Immunity at a stupidly high level ended up unhappy when I told him being Immune to a stone wall doesn't let you walk through it when I've buried you beneath it, you just didn't take any damage conditions.

...and I have allowed non-selective area afflictions bought to sustained, which isn't too different after the initial action to set it up, and it hasn't been an issue in game.

Comment

Originally posted by badpenny View Post
                              When you use the Energizing Extra, you take on the Fatigue condition of those you heal and you cannot use Healing to remove them from yourself--and this means from your own uses of Extra Effort.
                              Fully aware of that -- but we've run into situations where one of us could use Extra Effort in a particularly potent way, and in such a case it was very nice that the healer could basically "lend fatigue" to that person.
                              [B][URL="http://www.mygurps.com/mm3e.shtml"]My Collection of M&M (3E) House Rules[/URL][/B]
                              Including . . .[LIST][*]Combat "Boosts," Investigation Montages, and more[*]New Powers, Advantages, and Gear[*]Worked Examples and Rules Clarifications[/LIST]

Comment

Working...
                              X