opinion on affliction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinion on affliction

in order of worst to best for each of the 3 levels of affliction rank the options. worst being least useful for the person using the affliction best being most useful.

Re: opinion on affliction

Whatever best fits the concept of the character is best; whatever least fits the concept of the character is worst.

Comment

While there are certainly some of the conditions that seem more or less effective than the others, the general point of them is to help you model the effects of your super-power. The notion of molding a character to the "most effective" condition is anathema to this game. The flexibility in the system allows characters that from a standard I WIN role playing mindset can become difficult to GM. You can create Psionics that kill everyone on the planet (or every planet) from their mom's basement, or have Immunity to everything (including any challenge or peril in the game). That being said in my humble opinion if I had to rate them:

First Degree
      Dazed
      Entranced
      Impaired
      Vulnerable
      Fatigued
      Hindered

Second Degree
      Compelled
      Stunned
      Disabled
      Defenseless
      Immobile
      Prone
      Exhausted

Third Degree
      Transformed
      Controlled
      Incapacitated
      Asleep
      Unaware
      Paralyzed

Others will certainly have their own take.

Comment

As said, it depends 100% on how you plan to use them. At 1st level, Entranced is arguably the best noncombat condition you can get . . . but in a pitched fight, the person will snap out of it on the same turn.

I think the only thing I've seen people actually argue vehemently is that as written, the best 2nd level condition is Compelled, because then you can say "fight your friends!" and gain a temporary Ally. Because of this, I've taken the time to make it clear that (in my games) "compelled" only allows you to give a single, simple order to be followed, and the victim is otherwise aware of what's happening and able to take any other free actions that don't directly violate your order. (See the link in my sig for details.) But even that is just a clarification, not really a big change.

Basically, all of the 1st level conditions either cause minor inconvenience, or they cause major inconvenience but in a limited scenario. All of the 2nd level conditions cause major inconvenience in any situation. And all of the 3rd level conditions are fight-enders.

EDIT: Okay, I will say that Hindered sucks.
        Last edited by Rev. Pee Kitty; 09-16-2014, 04:34 PM.
        [B][URL="http://www.mygurps.com/mm3e.shtml"]My Collection of M&M (3E) House Rules[/URL][/B]
        Including . . .[LIST][*]Combat "Boosts," Investigation Montages, and more[*]New Powers, Advantages, and Gear[*]Worked Examples and Rules Clarifications[/LIST]

Comment

Vulnerable is a good 1st level condition. It halves the victim's Defenses, the same as with a Feint, and triggers the loss of any Defensive Roll. That could be a bad combo for someone who's defense-shifted and relying on Defensive Roll, e.g. a martial artist.

Stunned is good at 2nd level because it combines qualities from several other conditions. You cannot take any actions, including Free ones. You cannot move, use powers (except for ones bought to Reaction), and you cannot maintain Sustained powers: Flight (you start falling), Sustained Protection (like Force Fields), etc. Since talking is a Free action, technically it renders you mute, too.

Depending on how it's interpreted, Disabled gives a -5 to all checks, but Steve doesn't really define what qualifies. He did away with the distinction between "Saves" and "Checks" so does it apply to the Resistance checks to break out of an Affliction, i.e. Will/Fort checks? Does it apply to Toughness checks? It sounds overly broad due to lack of definition.

By the time you get to 3rd level, you're effectively removing people from the game. Incapacitated pretty much means combat's over for you. 2e Mind Control was significantly cheaper so there was a prohibition against making people do thing they were violently opposed to, but that criteria has not been carried over, so perhaps turning your enemies into your allies is more advantageous, but some GMs balk at that as being non-heroic.
          Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat

Comment

Originally posted by Batgirl III View Post
            Whatever best fits the concept of the character is best; whatever least fits the concept of the character is worst.
            My concept is that I'm twice as powerful as the rest of the player characters combined. I have a power with +16 attack DC 40 toughness on my PL 10 character, which affliction do I take to go with that?

Comment

Originally posted by Ysariel View Post
              My concept is that I'm twice as powerful as the rest of the player characters combined. I have a power with +16 attack DC 40 toughness on my PL 10 character, which affliction do I take to go with that?
              What do you want the Afflicion to "actually" do? Don't look at it from a numbers perspective, look at it from a narrative one.

Are you breaking limbs? Movement reducing afflictions are best. Kung fu pressure point strikes? Fighting Impaired/Hindered is good. Dazzling their vision with lasers? Overwhelming their brain with random telepathic white noise? Tying them up in spider webs?

Do not worry about the numbers.

Although, having said that, you do need to worry about PL Caps; At PL10, you cannot exceed a combined 20 between to hit bonus and effect difficulty class bonus. +16 to hit and +25 DC is waaay over the cap.
              Last edited by Batgirl III; 09-22-2014, 10:01 AM.

Comment

I think Ysariel is taking the piss out of you, noting that the "concept" for some players is "more powerful than everyone else".
                [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
                [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Fuzzy is right and that was mean, sorry. In practice it rarely turns out to be a problem because no GM worth playing under will let such a player into their game. But I have to get on my soapbox and preach about this every time it comes up because it's one of my big peeves.

I do generally agree with the idea that you should pick powers based on concept, not numbers.

Comment

Read and compare the screen name of the OP to someone making a comment later in the thread!?

Who has time for that nonsense!?

Comment

I get the min/max bad thing just thought the question would result in interesting discussion I seem to have been right.

Comment

As I noted a long time ago, when you sort everything into three bins, there's going to be considerable variation within each bin.

Comment

Working...
                        X