Oubliette-N: Homo Homini Lupus, Chapter Seven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oubliette-N: Homo Homini Lupus, Chapter Seven

Hello, everyone. I've wanted to write my own take on Michuru's Earth 137 many times, looking at unexplored sections of the world-be they other countries, or other times (I still want to run a game set in medieval Japan someday. Nephilim and ninja), but in the end, I decided on an alternate universe tale. In this case, the classic kind of alternate universe-Nazi Earth.

Set in 2014, this story follows a group of superpowered teens and young adults fighting in Occupied America as well as Europe against the forces of the Third Reich and their second Fuhrer, Wotan. Its gonna be kind of a dark story, and probably involve a high bodycount, although not to Hamlet levels. The bad guys are bad, and the good guys aren't much better (with exceptions on both sides, of course). There are good Germans, bad Americans, non-racist Japanese, a frozen man, female freedom fighter Batman, and references to everything from S-Cry-ed to Adventure Time. Issac Newton, Prime Minister of Canada, leader of the free English! Good guy Deimos! Bombings! Assassinations! Armies of the undead! Nazi-Maze! Its got it all!

Here are a few previews:

Ben sighed. "The situation is always worse than we know. That's a rule. I say we go to Lamperouge."

"The drunk?" Dr. Meinstein asked, scornful.

There were perhaps thirty men, vomiting in from the warehouse's front and back doors. They surrounded him in a rough circle, bats, pipes, knives. The Man In The White Suit drew a hand across his black hair, along the part. Germans loved a guy with a crisp part. He smirked. "Who wants it first?"

Magnus shook his head. "The Fuhrer is not Wotan, no more than Dag Schenkenberg is Thor. He is, however immortal. And cunning besides. It is no wonder I follow him. After my forebears killed Atlas, I have been his right hand."

Zanshin strode into the club, dressed in what the Americans called "casual formal" dress shoes, open collar, untucked shirt, cuffs unbuttoned. He hated these clothes. He hated this place. He hated working with the Americans. His face betrayed none of this as he approached the bartender.

"I'll have a Powerthirst. And vodka."

The bartender nodded, and reached below the bar. His hand returned with a key. "Men's room, broken stall." He said.

"You'll want to meet my girls." Jason said, striding to the door.

"Lamperouge, we don't have time for your concubines. With Le Chasseur in America, our time is short. She must be eliminated, and we need-"

Jason opened the door, motioning beyond. Two women entered, big sunglasses, beautiful faces, dark hair, long legs. The Aurelius guessed they were sisters. "I'd like you to meet E and Zee, Tharivol. My two favorite actresses."

The taller one huffed at that-Jason said that about all his actors. Like the director he was, he signaled to them, and the women took their shades off.

Blue flames burned in their eyes.

The soldiers kicked the door in, thundering into the basement. They shone flashlights into the darkness-cones of illumination landing on gore. Corpses smashed like broken dolls. "Mein gott." The leader said, stomach rebelling.

"Gott ist tot." Come an artificial voice. A man lumbered towards them, with an enormous gun in his hands. Not a man, the commander realized. A thing of metal, hands stained with blood and bone.

The fallen angel sighed. "I get tired of it, you know. And the women don't seem to enjoy it any more than I do. Most of them."

His jailor shrugged. "Its free sex. Sometimes you get what you pay for. If you were like people, I could just do it all in the lab."

His prisoner extended one pale, hairless arm. "Need another sample, then?"

"That's not why I came, Astaroth. You're going to tell me how to control the beasts I've read about. The ones they call ignem inferni.

"This guy's a freaking beef bus!" Jeremy said, looking over the man's unclothed upper body. He was indeed in incredible shape-the word "thews" come to Dr. Howell's mind.

"Blond hair and blue eyes too. The Germans would love him, no doubt." Dr. Howell said, examining him. "Time to wake him up, I'm afraid. Be ready."

The thin man produced a syringe from his coat pocket, and plunged it into the man's arm. He had been asleep for centuries, they said, but he seemed healthy enough. The adrenaline would wake him for sure. The man shot up from the desk, eyes open. He looked around, panting. "Nothung." He rasped.

His sword came flying from the other side of the set, whirling through the air. He caught it and swung at Jeremy-wisely judging him to be the more dangerous. A scythe of black flames emerged from the twenty-something's hand, blocking the blade. Dr. Howell removed his coat, the rest of his clothes shredding as he transformed, turning from man to gorilla in the blink of an eye.

"Easy big fella!" Jeremy yelled, straining. His scythe was pretty sturdy when it was solid, but this guy felt like he was on the verge of driving him into the ground.

"Start talking to him Doc!"

"Wotan! Vér lysta bana Wotan!" The man who was an ape shouted, ready to leap into combat if this man continued attacking. The big man pulled his sword away from Jeremy's scythe. The two looked at each other, cautious. The blond gave Jeremy a small nod before looking to Howell. "Tala fremr."

Gwyn was maybe nine yards away from her. She could cross that distance and stab him in a few beats of his heart, he knew. "We don't have to do this, you know. The war is over, they say."

Yellow flames sprouted from her hand, taking the shape of a rapier. "Then why did you come?"

Gwyn's claymore burst into life. "Cause I still owe you one."

So there you have it. I should have the first chapter up tomorrow, with more in the pipe (the first several chapters are going to be flashbacks, so to speak, going from 1944 until we get to the present day). Stay tuned!
    Last edited by Arthur Eld; 14th May 2015, 03:20 PM.
    [I]Any sound can shake the air. My voice shakes the heart![/I]

Re: Oubliette-N: Homo Homini Lupus

Looks pretty kewl, from the "approved for appropriate audiences" preview. I always enjoy the various takes on Michuru's setting that get posted.

Comment

Will there be more parallel versions of our Awesome PCs. Like El Campedor, The Man of Nazi Secrets Weapons Lab's nightmares?

Or something.
      Impeach the peach!

Completed Games:
      Crinoverse - Avengers
      Crinoverse - Young Avengers
      Crinoverse - Bay City Sentinels
      Crinoverse - Time After Time
      Crinoverse - San Antonio Avengers
      Crinoverse - Honnounji Academy
      Extreme Unction

Comment

Well, most of the characters from HnH's game would be too young (most of them would be like ten or eleven in 2014)-I'll mostly be using the original PCs from Mich's tabletop game, along with NPCs from all sources, and characters from the European Academy game. One thing I realized when I was first drafting this was that Jason was way too central-so I divided up his roles a bit, that's why Silverback is the one to revive Captain Iceland (I mean Siegfried) among other things.

Also, there was no Moshka crisis in this story, so that means a lot of characters descended from expatriate Neos (like one of my favorites, Sclera) won't show up cause they don't exist.

However, some of their parents might show up-El Campeador's mom could be fighting Nazi boys in Brazil, for example.

And, since one character from Earth 137 and related universes (again, Jason) exists in the Crinoverse, there's nothing that says the reverse can't also be true. Maybe this world's Detective is a certain Mr. Grimson?
        Last edited by Arthur Eld; 30th September 2014, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Eld View Post
          Well, most of the characters from HnH's game would be too young (most of them would be like ten or eleven in 2014)-I'll mostly be using the original PCs from Mich's tabletop game, along with NPCs from all sources, and characters from the European Academy game. One thing I realized when I was first drafting this was that Jason was way too central-so I divided up his roles a bit, that's why Silverback is the one to revive Captain Iceland (I mean Siegfried) among other things.

Also, there was no Moshka crisis in this game, so that means a lot of characters descended from expatriate Neos (like one of my favorites, Sclera) won't show up cause they don't exist.

However, some of their parents might show up-El Campeador's mom could be fighting Nazi boys in Brazil, for example.

And, since one character from Earth 137 and related universes (again, Jason) exists in the Crinoverse, there's nothing that says the reverse can't also be true. Maybe this world's Detective is a certain Mr. Grimson?
          Ah, flattery will get you everywhere with me.

Side note, Lamperogue does? I haven't seen him referenced anywhere?
          Impeach the peach!

Completed Games:
          Crinoverse - Avengers
          Extreme Unction

Comment

Lamperouge is in Rapture, which showed up the second adventure of my MTA. He got possessed by Nergal, who wanted to kill everybody and turn the city into his own home away from home. Team Alpha freed Jason, who helped cast Nergal out, and he works as Eleanor Lamb's number two.

Comment

Gwyn was maybe nine yards away from her. She could cross that distance and stab him in a few beats of his heart, he knew. "We don't have to do this, you know. The war is over, they say."

Yellow flames sprouted from her hand, taking the shape of a rapier. "Then why did you come?"

Gwyn's claymore burst into life. "Cause I still owe you one."
              Those two are gonna be doin' the no-no cha-cha before this is over.
              Armada Status

Comment

That's more your style than mine, I'm afraid.
                Last edited by Arthur Eld; 16th November 2014, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Chapter 1

Chapter One: I'll Get By (As Long as I Have You)

September 8, 1944
                  Menton, France

It had cost him a lot to get here. Every favor he had, every ounce of rank he could pull (and a lot he only blustered about), and even sizable shares of his family's fortune to ensure a transfer to this spot, and a position as the commander's adviser for the coming battle. But if what he'd been told was true, it would all be worth it.

There was no better time to find out than the present. Given his new position as second in command of the German occupying force, he was allowed to speak alone with his superior officer.

The man himself was studying maps in his headquarters, the top floor of what had once been a luxurious hotel before the war. Technically this whole city belonged to Vichy France, and had for exactly one year. But Hauptmann Weber had been here that whole time, running things-which mostly meant coordinating with the Italians and Command back in Germany. An easy enough job, far from the front lines.

Until now. The Americans were coming, Canadians too. Black Dogs. Only he could stop them.

"Yes, Oberleutnant? What is it?" This was it. All he had to do was talk.

"Hauptmann, you must listen to me." The captain inclined his head, but didn't say anything.

The brown-haired junior officer waited, counting seconds in his head. Ein...Zwei...Drei..Vier..fünf...sechs.

Finally, he was confident that the captain was doing nothing but listening, waiting for him to speak again. Because that was what he had been told to do.

"You must raise a flag of surrender over the city, here from the hotel. I will then go and entreat with the Allied forces. Secondly, while I am so doing, gather the rest of the men and get them armed and ready to move out."

The captain showed confusion on his face-if they were going to surrender, where would they be moving to with arms? He did not question. "Yes, Oberleutnant Meinstein. I will do these things." The captain stood up, making to head out. He would find a white flag, and raise it from the hotel's roof.

"Ausgezeichnet." Johann turned on his heels and left the room, undoing the belt that carried his side-arm. The Luger dropped to the floor with a thud as he entered the elevator. He was still worried, but growing more confident all the time. The captain was just one man, there would be hundreds of enemy soldiers.

A few minutes later, he was standing on the city's main road, leading to the port and other important elements of life here. The 1st Special Service Force was rolling up. A jeep was in front, with what looked to be a...Generalmajor by his uniform. There were armed man taking up formation all around, rifles raised. He was one man, unarmed and alone but they weren't taking any chances.

The Major General stepped out, striding towards him with firm strides, but not the crispness of a career officer. This was a fighting man. He looked to be about ten years older than Meinstein, naturally pale skin ruddy from the sun with a simple, sharp black moustache. A man ran up alongside him-a translator?

Johann was proven right, as the Major General spoke in English, saying "What are your terms?"

His man opened his mouth, but Meinstein cut him off. "I speak English." He said. His father had taught him, and he barely even had an accent. The Major General was non-plussed and waiting. He'd asked a question, he wanted an answer.

"I have a message for all of you. Can you hear me?" Johann said, raising his voice. The Americans and Canadians didn't respond, but from the look on their face, they all could hear him. There were maybe a hundred with the rest of the force behind.

"Lower your weapons!" He shouted. They did-every single one of them. Simply amazing. Johann began to grin. He walked closer to the Major General, wondering what his name was. Frederick.

He wasn't sure where that had come from. Somehow he just knew, this man's name was Frederick. The one-eyed man had not been lying when he said his powers would be great.

"My terms are simple, Herr Frederick. You will take me to the rest of your men, every last one of them. Then you are going to accompany me on a counter-offensive. For the Third Reich. Understand?"

Robert Frederick, a man who wanted to kill Germans so much he'd designed his own kind of knife to do it just right, took off his helmet and saluted sharply. "Ja, mein fuhrer!"

Up next...
                  Chapter 2, 1954. Prime Minister Newton. Venomous X.
                  Last edited by Arthur Eld; 20th February 2016, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Re: Oubliette-N: Homo Homini Lupus, Chapter One

Ack! The Fourth Reich's Fuhrer strikes!

And of course the Aurelius is the bad one - the Tharivol clan won their war.
                    Last edited by Enigmatic One; 30th September 2014, 03:34 PM.
                    Impeach the peach!

Completed Games:
                    Crinoverse - Avengers
                    Extreme Unction

Comment

Well, there is no Fourth Reich in this timeline, since the Third One hasn't fallen-yet.

This is the main divergent point, really. Johann, guided by Odin (or Wotan as he comes to be better known) develops his powers before Hitler's suicide, and he stalls the Allied advance. The Vindicators aren't formed yet, and instead they respond piece-meal, further compounding the problem.

Since we're basically skipping from the divergent point and what becomes the middle of the war to the end, I'll spill out some stuff about the Vindicators. Crusader is killed by Wotan himself when the Germans conquer London (using a certain plot-important spear), the Frog pulls resistance operations in France for years before he's killed (though he has children who become important), Jaundice is not controlled by one of the Fallen in this reality and he is killed by Communist forces in China, and the Iron Curtain-he hangs around a bit, you'll see him in Chapter 3.

Its that kind of story in the early going, I'm afraid. Heroes drop like flies and the bad guys snip schnapps and kick ass. Though even in these first few chapters, the heroes get some cool moments. There's a bit in Chapter Seven that I'm really happy with.

With this first chapter, I tried to keep some of Mich's trappings-so the title is taken from a song (and one popular in 1944), the turning point happens on September 8th (an important date in Earth-137), and I ended this chapter the same way as this one because, you know, its awesome.

Originally posted by Enigmatic One View Post
                      And of course the Aurelius is the bad one - the Tharivol clan won their war.
                      Its funny you should mention that. As seen in one of the previews, The Aurelius is a main character, and he is a Tharivol, but he's actually not a bad guy. Well, sort of. I mean, he's willing to kill other members of the gens who try to mess with him, but he's against the Nazis.

And anybody who hates Nazis can't be all bad, right?

Comment

Its funny you should mention that. As seen in one of the previews, The Aurelius is a main character, and he is a Tharivol, but he's actually not a bad guy. Well, sort of. I mean, he's willing to kill other members of the gens who try to mess with him, but he's against the Nazis.

And anybody who hates Nazis can't be all bad, right?
                        Hah!
                        Impeach the peach!

Completed Games:
                        Crinoverse - Avengers
                        Extreme Unction

Comment

Chapter 2

Chapter Two: Hearts of Stone

October 15th, 1954
                          Pune, British Raj

Dr. Ranajit Ghosh sighed, shoulders slumping a bit in his white coat. He looked forward, beholding a simple white room full of plastic barrels. It was separated from him by two thick doors, strong walls, and a pane of bullet-proof glass. The whole room was sealed air-tight, and required quite the lengthy process to unlock it. Outside his coat, the Marathi man wore another white garment that covered his entire body, including a small hood. Only his weary face was visible, and even that was covered with transparent plastic, a breathing apparatus that connected to a compartment on his back full of oxygen.

"We have made a great thing, Sir. And a terrible one. Something we could not have done without you."

The man he addressed was also studying the room full of barrels, and he shook his head, golden eyes tinged with sorrow. "I'm sure that's not true, Dr. Ghosh. You have a far better head for these affairs of chemicals than I ever did. I remain primarily a physicist."

The old man was telling the truth, but still Ghosh was glad to have him here He was an invaluable source of wisdom, full of knowledge that ranged from the philosophical to the very practical, schooled in everything from military tactics to the history of the world's various civilizations. A most learned man.

"You have been a very helpful aid, my friend. Now we have a terrible weapon, our own trident of Shiva. I would prefer we never have to use it, but..." The chemist trailed off.

They both knew this world was not so kind as to give them that option. Word was the forces of the Reich were burning their way through India even now. The mountains and fierce Indian army had slowed them down, bleeding the Germans and their conscripted allies for every mile of ground they took. But the Germans had blood to spare, buckets of it.

Suddenly, there was a great rumbling sound, snarls and yells. A fierce beast, native to these lands. The Bengal Tiger. Even down here they could hear it.

"That will be Mr. Tusein." The Englishman remarked. "Hopefully the guards will be here before he brings a streak upon us."

Dr. Ghosh looked quizzical behind his protective gear.

"A streak is a name for a group of tigers, Doctor." The Indian man gave a small 'ah' of understanding, and nodded.

They could hear the great gate of the facility opening above them, some two floors above their own underground labs. This whole scientific building was placed within a mountain, not far from the army's Southern Command, but not so close as to be associated with it as a military building, even by those who could find the place.

"Shall we go and greet our intrepid scout?" Ghosh asked. The Englishman smiled at that-Tusein so liked to play up his bravery. The two man walked down the hallway to the stairs. No elevators in this place, elevators could break down and one wouldn't want to be stuck in a place like this.

A few minutes later, the two scientists as well as the base's military administrator were in a small conference room. Tusein came in, hastily pulling on a shirt over his muscled bronze body.

The Bengali with eyes of blue flames spoke, cheery as ever. "Hello, Colonel, my good doctors Ghosh and Newton." He shook hands, English accented but clear. All four men spoke English, though Ghosh and Colonel Tilak spoke Marathi, which Tusein did not.

"What is your news, Jemadar?" The colonel used Ram Tusein's official rank, though he was anything but a real military man.

"Mumbai has been overrun. I saw the whole thing, with eagle eyes." That his special gift, in addition to his command of blue flames. Ram could assume the form of any animal that walked, swam, or flew on the earth.

"Before the army was routed, I had news of the rest of the world. Your old friend, The Jew, is still in Russia, fighting the good fight." This was to Newton. He had known many Jewish men and women in his life, but there was only he thought of as 'The', a man older by far even than the tri-centennial. A good man, in his way. He had been through the horrors of a place called Auswitch, and led his people from there to the relative-relative being the key word-safety of the former Soviet Union. He was perhaps the most fervent foe of the Reich in the whole world.

"The Russians? Are they still led by Volkov?" Tilak asked.

Ram nodded his head, pacing up and down his side of the room. He always did that-Newton thought it made him look like a tiger even when he was a man. "Yes, yes. The war continues as usual. Germans in America, Germans in England, Germans in Russia. Killing, looting, capturing. Still, so many follow the example of your Churchill," Again this was to Newton, "That their advance is no longer as fast, or even as sure, as it once was."

Newton knew that story very well. He'd been there, a day before it happened. German troops were moving to capture Winston Churchill, the babyfaced butcher, Newton had always considered him. He did not hide, in fact he broadcasted his position along with inspirational words to British forces throughout the Isles. "There's a man in Ten Downing. And they say he's quite astounding." Churchill would say, along with calls to never surrender, to keep fighting until death.

And he'd done just that. When the Germans came to Ten Downing, hoping to torture him into surrender and calling for the same from his countrymen, Churchill blew up the entire building. Buckhingahm Palace and Westminster as well. "Better rubble than in the hands of the Nazi." He would say.

Churchill's suicide attack had killed over a hundred soldiers of the Reich and injured scores more. What's more, it had inspired a nation of fierce resistance. The fighting in England was some of the most bloody of the whole war-soldiers getting killed in shadows, England school marms turned ruthless poisoners. "The Englanders are a proud race. They need only be humbled to learn their proper place in Great Germany" Goebbels had said.

Was this the legacy of his country, Newton wondered? Fighting until death, leading only the victors and nations full of corpses? There had to be another way, an unconventional solution to their problem. Here, in this place, Dr. Ghosh and others hoped they had developed such a thing.

"And now they are coming here." Dr. Ghosh said. It wasn't a question-he knew someone, somewhere in Mumbai knew about this place, and the Germans would find him and make him talk.

Tusein sighed. "Yes. I actually managed to kill the German's second in command-stomped on like Ganesh himself." Newton had seen Ram's enormous elephant form-it was a terrifying sight to behold. All the majesty and power of nature, all the rage and cunning of a man who, if not quite a soldier, had been a warrior since he was ten. "But still they will come. Two weeks at most before their vanguard reaches us. Perhaps sooner, if they learn what we do here."

Newton stepped forward, hands folded. "I have already sent word to the Americans of our formula. The Russians and Chinese as well. They ahve bits and pieces, information their own scientists should be able to work on. Dr. Ghosh will head to Russia, and I to America to assist them in making their own. Once they know what we have, we might be able to force the Germans into a cease-fire." That was his greatest hope-that the devil they had made were would inspire fear in the Germans, visions of a zero-sum game, and make peace a possibility. Isaac hoped it was more than just a dream.

The colonel pulled out a small map of the region, charting courses with his finger, mumbling to himself. "The waterways should be clear enough. Small passenger ships should be able to carry you, Dr. Ghosh and others, along with small samples of the chemical. We will dispose of the rest, and all notes here. The Germans must never be able to recreate what he's made here."

Ram walked over to Newton, clapping him on the shoulder, provoking the Englishman to flinch. He was not as casual with physical contact as Ram. "He'll get there, Colonel, even if I have to carry him myself. This is our future Prime Minister, after all." Newton had told the men here weeks ago-it had been decided he would lead the Free British in Canada, his scientific mind needed to balance out the more war-minded heads of government of what was left of his nation.

The Colonel nodded sharply. "Then I suggest we make haste with our preparations. If the Germans will be here in two weeks, I want us ready to leave and purge this place in one."

October 21st

Isaac Newton woke up to the sound of muffled shouting, men running. He staggered from his room, half dressed. It was the Reich, he knew it. Though possessed of impressive mental gifts, Newton was no precognitive, but there was a feeling of dread in his stomach that went beyond such things. It was the basic elementary knowledge that he was in great danger.

He made his way to the Conference Room, past soldiers in gear designed to protect them from the kind of weapons made here, rifles slung over white uniforms. The Colonel was inside, barking into a small radio. He turned to face Newton, pistol belt hastily affixed.

"Sir Newton! Dr. Ghosh is already away, but we may be too late. The Germans are here. A small force, but very heavily armed. I though they would attempt to starve us out, but they want to come in."

There was a rumbling and shaking sound through the room-minor, but an ill portent. An explosive of some kind. "They are very insistent, you see." Tilak smiled ruefully. "You must be away-the tunnel is still intact, it you will take to to an abandoned vehicle base. From there, you will have to get to the ocean on your own-I'm afraid I've lost contact with our naval forces on the coast."

Both men wondered how the Germans had got here so fast. If they knew what was being made here, they would hurry, but surely they would have also waited to gather more forces. "Will you deploy the formula?" Newton asked, his heart heavy.

"Yes, if I must. We have only a few launchers filled with the stuff. But we've rigged it up to the base's air system. If necessary, we can kill everything in this place."

Suddenly, there was another rumble, a great terrible drilling sound. Shouts of alarm from outside the room, panicked Hindi and Bengali words. "They're inside." Newton said. This was it.

"I will dispose of the remaining material myself. Then I will flee." The old man extended his hand to the Colonel, they shook once, hands firm. "It has been my honor to work alongside you, Colonel Tilak."

"The honor has been mine, Sir Newton." The two left on their separate ways-Tilak to lead a last desperate stand, Newton to face the bowels of this place and the horror he'd made.

When he got down there, what he saw horrified him even more.

Germans. Black uniforms, outside the room full of barrels. Trying to force their way in. And in their midst-him. A blond haired, brown eyed man Newton had thought dead.

The soldiers were six in number, plus the man in brown, with his own strange armband-a circle with an altered swastika, a four armed cross with curving spokes. The emblem of the Thule Society.

They raised weapons, ready to fire. And then they died, very quickly.

It was Tusein of course, in his tiger form, big orange and angry. He pounced on two men, clawing and biting. He tore through all six of them, scattering the horrified Germans-fighting other men from afar with guns was one thing, but trying to face down an angry tiger in a small hallway was quite another. Tusein stalked over the last one, blood dripping from his mouth. He stared down the officer, growling softly. This man was no soldier, there was no bravery in him. Tusein had strength, cunning, and all the fury of a patriot defending his wronged homeland.

It wasn't nearly enough. Tusein jumped, and Isaac began to shout, trying to warn him. He clawed the man's belly open, and he began to fall. But not before the German placed one hand on the big cat's head, fingers failing to find a hold on the fur, but touching all the same.

Then Tusein yowled and howled, not in rage but in surprise. The tiger stepped back, roaring, staggering, before it fell, paralyzed. The German man fell to his hands and knees, organs threatening to fall out of his stomach. He placed a hand against his wound and slowly, inevitably, stood up, one arm on the wall. The man drew a pistol as Newton watched, helpless. He fired a few times at the tiger, producing wet heavy sounds. The beast's blood ran through the ground. If Tusein was not dead, he would be soon.

"Guten Tag" The German said, the sound of his own blood splashing on the floor a counterpart to his words.

"von Grimm." Newton said, the name as foul as any curse to leave his lips. The handsome German scowled a bit, looking good despite his advanced age. He was nearly fifty but didn't look a day over thirty-five.

"I vould prefer if you called me Doktor von Grimm, Sir Newton. I give you your honors, Knight Bachelor, give me mine." His voice was labored, but the man was not dying. Newton now knew that he never would.

Ulrich aimed at him but Newton didn't bat an eye. "You won't kill me, Doctor." His voice dripped with scorn.

"Of course not. You know too much. You will be very useful to our cause, once we break you. You, you are worth all the men I have outside, all those who have died here, and many more. But I can't have you resisting."

He fired the Luger twice. He had been going for Newton's knees, but only one shot hit, taking Newton in the right calf. He cried out and fell to one knee. The bullet had gone through and through, and his blood began to pull around his foot, sinking into his shoe. "You are a poor marksman, Ulrich."

Doctor von Grimm considered his pistol for a moment, the barrel smoking a bit. "I suppose that's true." He conceded.

von Grimm walked closer, leveling the pistol again. "This is better, ja? Should I break your legs and have my men drag you out, or will you cooperate?"

Behind them, the tiger began to stir. Newton knew Tusein was strong, but he was still going to die. If not by von Grimm's hand, then his own. He had to destroy everything here. He only need distract von Grimm for a few moments, and he knew how.

Isaac kept one hand on his leg, trying in vain to staunch the blood flow. "I congratulate you, von Grimm. You were smart to come here."

"We heard rumors of an Englishman with hair of silver, helping these brown fools. I knew it was you, and I knew anything you were doing would be of great interest to the Reich. The Fuhrer will honor me."

Newton nodded. He was sweating a bit, his hair sticking to his forehead. "But will your father?"

von Grimm paused, eyes wide. Mentioning his dead father, that bastard of a man, that was too far. This English fool had no-

Newton stood, reaching for the gun. The two men, neither exactly thick with muscle struggled for it. It went off six more times. von Grimm stepped back, smiling.

He coughed then, and dark blood came up, gurgling from his mouth and staining his teeth. Newton, though not a medical man, knew the human body well. Lungs, kidney, stomach, he'd shot them all. von Grimm was struggling to speak-another threat, Newton knew, a proclamation of his immortality. Something like "Like the Third Reich, I shall last a thousand years!" Newton had no time.

He ran past the dying German, to the room of barrels. There was a switch on the wall, underneath the one that opened the door. It would trigger an explosion here, wiping out all the samples. Except the ones tied to the air system. Those he would tirgger himself, from another switch inside the stairwell. That way, not a single German would survive, and all samples of the chemical-except for one very small vial Newton carried, one Ghosh had as well-would be destroyed.

Newton ran from the place, even as Tusein stirred. "I am sorry, my friend." He whispered. He would attempt to commune with the man's spirit later, along with the Colonel, offering his last words to them all.

Once inside the stairwell, he triggered the chemical dispersal system. No alarms sounded, no lights flashed, no klaxons wailed. This was a silent weapon, a quiet-but exceedingly painful-death for everyone inside. If the Colonel had done his job right, grenade launchers would have carried the stuff into the main German host outside the mountain. All Newton could do now was make his way to the tunnels leading from the place. He paused only to trigger a small explosive charge, sealing the place behind him.

Tusein knew he was dying, but he wanted to die as he had lived-as a man. With great effort, he willed his transformation to occur. The bullet holes stayed with him, and as he heard a slight misting sound, he knew death had come. The weapon. Venomous X. An aerosol that had no odor, no taste. He began to feel it on his skin, like motor oil. He sweat and began to cough. It was hard to breathe-his nerves were shutting down he knew. Newton and Ghosh had droned on at length about the weapon with some enormous chemical name. The Colonel simply called it VX, a nerve weapon that would deny the spoils of India to the Germans, if necessary.

He couldn't breathe now-his throat was closing, his lungs shutting down. He looked to the dead German, and saw one beginning to stir, the man who'd shot him. Newton had told him of such men-men who could not be killed. Well, Tusein thought, this man may not die a final death, but he will suffer a hundred before he leaves this place-he knew even a small amount of the nerve agent on bare skin could kill a man over and over.

Ram Tusein gave one last shuddering breath, and the fires in his eyes went out. When von Grimm awoke, he was in for something far worse than gunfire.

Far away, Isaac Newton climbed into a car, leg hastily bandaged. He began to weep-for Ram, for the Colonel, for all the men who had died today. And for himself. Isaac Newton had never killed a man with his own hands before, and now he had killed many, condemning them to death by VX gas. As he drove away from Pune, heading to the Indian Ocean, and from there, America, he knew they would not be the last he would have to kill.

Up next...
                          The swinging Sixties. Death in Russia.

Comment

Re: Oubliette-N: Homo Homini Lupus, Chapter Two

My Thoughts
                            • Poor Isaac. At least we know he'll live for the next bit, anyway.
                            • Winston Churchill, you will be missed. Why can't HE have immortality? Already got four characters referenced who do.
                            • Aharersus must be finding it ironic to be in the position of a messiah and Moses.
                            • Haven't heard of Doctor von Grimm, but the man deserves this, I'd say.
                            Impeach the peach!

Completed Games:
                            Crinoverse - Avengers
                            Extreme Unction

Comment

Re: Oubliette-N: Homo Homini Lupus, Chapter Two

One of the things I'm trying to do with these first few chapters is introduce characters you'll see later. The first chapter doesn't actually do that-by 2014, Johann Meinstein is dead, but Von Grimm and Newton you'll see again. I also wanted Newton to go through some personally violent stuff so he becomes more proactive in the future.

The thing with Churchill is my nod to Churchill being both a war-minded and stubborn guy. He wanted to open a war with the Soviets after the Nazis were beat, and called for an invasion of Japan, despite knowing how many people he would kill. Churchill also serves as an example for resistance fighters throughout the world, so the Germans and Japanese have to deal with suicide bombers and reckless killers-the Allies have lost the war, so they've decided to go down swinging.

Von Grimm is a character Mich told me about-a villain from a campaign set earlier in 137 history, he's an Aesir with a kind of Paralyze/Will damage effect-he paralyzes people, they see terrible things, and they often die of heart attacks.

The Nephilim shapeshifter was inspired by a character mentioned as a student of the Asian Academy-Menagrie. Also, I worked real people into both chapters-the American guy from Chapter one, and the Indian doctor who co invented VX gas (something so terrible the USA traded the secrets of nuclear weapons to the Brits for it).

Ahaseureus shall show up again later-he actually helped to lessen the Holocaust via his magic. I also want to use him as a figure to show being immortal isn't all bad-the Wandering Jew is often seen as being cursed by Jesus, but I think of it a different way.

Comment

Working...
                              X