The New Mythos [3e, Interest]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Mythos [3e, Interest]

"...outbreak! I repeat, it appears we're experiencing another outbreak of the so called 'Devolution Virus'! What was previously believed to have been successfully rendered extinct, thanks to the joint efforts of several countries including the United States, has experienced an unexpected resurgence world-wide. It's uncertain just how many people have been afflicted, but the numbers are estimated to be in the millions."

The blonde woman with her short-cropped hair and smart dress looks down at the notes in her hand. Off to the side, an image appears displaying a man who seems to have strange bestial, almost wolfish deformities. When she speaks, her voice is soft and filled with feminine charm, perfectly suited for drawing in the listener's attention.

"Unlike before where it caused victims to experience a surge in deformation and certain hereditary diseases, people now seem to be experiencing a multitude of bizarre mutations never seen before in medical history. Reports of people developing elongated incisors, odd skin pigmentation, rapid hair growth, and hard bony growths from their foreheads are just some of the shocking and varied symptoms. There have also been alarming reports of other strange phenomena among certain individuals who—"

Gasping, the reporter suddenly stands up from her seat and clamps her hands onto her throat. There's shouting in the background, the camera shakes as on-site staff rushes to the woman's aid. There are glimpses of her hair turning an almost seaweed green, skin turning blue and oddly textured, and most worrying of all are three slits along the side of her neck. Suddenly there's a scream that reverberates through the room, bursting lightbulbs and shattering the camera's lens.

The News report cuts out completely, replaced by a message saying "Stand By".

Mirum Urbem has gotten really strange in recent months. True, things were never quite pretty around your hometown nestled on the banks of Lake Magnus, rundown as it's been in recent years, but recent events have certainly tipped the scales. It all started when a group calling themselves 'The Followers of the First Dawn' broke into a Chinese research facility and stole dangerous and downright illegal research on biological weapons. From there they used it to develop a weapon of their own, and released it without any warning at all.

Labeled the 'Devolution Virus' by the media, it was designed to look for dormant abnormalities present in the DNA and activate them. Everything from brittle bones, respiratory conditions, heart problems, or even the development of tumors and cancers. Released in key locations, it quickly swept the world over as people everywhere started to panic. Out of nowhere one day however, everything stopped. Victims who survived started to recover now that the virus had seemingly died off overnight, and the world was afforded two years of quiet.

Everyone thought the nightmare was over.

Little did they know, the real chaos was lingering in the shadows in wait of the perfect time to strike.

At some point during its rampage, a single strain mutated into the perfect expression of itself, tapping into a previously unknown field of energy that permeated our world. Through methods unknown this change was echoed world-wide before it went dormant. Quietly it spread itself throughout humanity, in search of specific genetic markers hidden away within select members of our populace. Then all at once it triggered, and the ancestral blood of monsters that ran deep within our veins was brought to the forefront.

Vampires, werewolves, mermaids, goblins, elves, and even things without name. Creatures that once lived in the shadows of humanity before fading away had all been brought back to life inside their human descendants. Yet it's not enough that it was just the supernatural creatures of our world making a return; a small percentage of humanity became fully in-tune with the energy of our world. Magic, as we have come to know it once more, fully in the grips of freshly minted sorcerers without a clue of what they were doing.

Mix everything all together, and you get one chaotically delicious cocktail of madness.

Your city seems to have its own special blend of weird. Spelljunkies, vampiric gangsters, supernatural bruisers, crazed new-age cultists, all of them out there either battling it out in the open or in the shadows. That's where you come in, though. Word on the street was that there was some ghostly guy going around who calls himself Echo, trying to find people to try and stem the tide. You might've thought it just wishful thinking, but then the man himself appeared before you in all his spooky ethereal glory.

"I'm looking for some people. Good people. I need people who can make a difference in this city. People like you. Take this address, meet me and the others there this Saturday. Our world has always had it's share of heroes in legends, men and woman who fought against monsters. This time? I hope you'll agree that its about time we gave them a new set of heroes. A New Mythos."

~~~~~

Hey hey hey, look at that! Another game, by yours truly.

For this one, I'm looking for around 5 players, more or less depending on the situation. This is a modern setting with some supernatural elements to it, but I'm not expecting anything super dark or light hearted, right around in the middle. You'll be working with PL 8 at 120 PP, with the potential of advancing a bit quicker than normal. I'll have to see how things play out before really setting that in stone.

In this game, as should probably be obvious, characters should largely be supernatural in nature. You can get obscure with monsters if you wish, or maybe you're something that was never given a name period. If your characters are noticeably monstrous, please have a complication that reflects this.

While magic exists in this world, the only people able to express it in the form of spells are Sorcerers, people who are wholly human save for their magical potential. For them, please have a complication that reflects how magic in this world requires a specific type of focus in order to operate such as; Speaking, Hand movement, or holding a specific object.

If you want to play as a non-powered human, that's fine too as long as you can make it work. Every supernatural game needs a hunter or two, right?

House rules to note: Each rank of Presence comes with 1 social advantage (Startle, Taunt, contacts, etc.), nothing else at this time.

For the moment I just want to gauge interest. I know that the site itself has been having issues as well, so some of you might be more comfortable on our sister-site. I'll have links for both, and I'll make a solid decision once I open for full recruitment.

Mirrored thread
    Last edited by Doctor Malsyn; 04-21-2019, 08:53 AM.
    I'm obviously a doctor of literature.

Re: The New Mythos [3e, Interest]

I'm interested!
    The character I have in mind would be something akin to a drider—someone very spider-like and monstrous. ^w^

Comment

I'm interested in perhaps a kitsune-spirit style character.

Given the power level, I'm surprised you aren't doing the 3/1 skill point house rule. But no matter.

Comment

Both neat ideas! I look forward to seeing how they shape up.

Regarding house rules, I'd like to see a more complete argument either in or against their usage before I go ahead and implement something. I am thinking of advancing people a little quicker then normal, but that depends on how the adventure plays out.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Malsyn View Post
          Both neat ideas! I look forward to seeing how they shape up.

Regarding house rules, I'd like to see a more complete argument either in or against their usage before I go ahead and implement something. I am thinking of advancing people a little quicker then normal, but that depends on how the adventure plays out.
          Fair enough. I just think more skill points means you are more likely to branch out into a new skill rather than specializing. Have a bunch of +3 skills is not a good idea.

As for advancing, I have yet to see a superhero game played PbF reach the end of the first adventure and have downtime before a second adventure. So saying you want to give out points faster is a nice idea but will it happen? I would like to be very wrong.

Comment

That does make an amount of sense. I'll at the very least, consider it and make a final decision when I change to recruitment. After running my first PBP game on here for awhile, I've realized that the medium just isn't quite built for advancing at the normal pace you might see during tabletop campaigns. I've also noticed this from observation as well, which also led to me seeing how games felt when the GM was giving out higher amounts of points. I'll probably at the very least, divvy out two instead of the normal one, and possibly more dependent on how the adventure went.

Comment

It seems like an interesting idea to me.
              [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/6589-Builds-on-the-Sun]Builds on the Sun[/url]

Comment

I appriciate your interest, though as this has garnered more attention on our sister site I'll be opening things up for recruitment there. Admittedly a bit unfair with the site undergoing maintenance soon, but I don't want to stall thibgs out.

Comment

Working...
                X