Still recruiting... A Poweful Reality [One-Shot, Recruiting]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [3e OOC] Still recruiting... A Poweful Reality [One-Shot, Recruiting]

There is something incredibly wrong with the world. It's now how it was, or should be, will be, or... or something else. It's hard to articulate. All you really know is that it has something to do with your visit to the [Museum] around 3 years ago.

You struggle to remember all the details. You know you were there at the display of a book, someone claiming to have translated the Voynich Manuscript. As you read the display there was a fight. Some villain, you think, and his goons stormed the place. Then there was a hero, you think. The villain monologues, the hero gave a rousing speech about what could happen if you had the courage. You were inspired and ran to grab the book, to keep it from the Villain's hands. As you did you saw 3 other people? Or was it 6? Or none? Whatever the case, you all had the same idea. You grabbed the book. There was a scream and a flash.

You woke up at home, and soon found you had incredible power. You became a hero, but have had troubling dreams ever since that day...

The premise of this game is of a broken world. A villain, it doesn't matter who, carried out a ritual to gain reality warping powers from the Voynich Manuscript. He tried to change his world to one in which he was the only superpower, and would have succeeded if it wasn't for the intervention of a plucky few.

No one remembers Superman. Or the Centurion. Or any of his/her variants. You are the only supermen in this world. A man called the Abyss has risen as a super villain and is trying to take over the world.

There is something wrong with the world, and if you fix it you'll lose all your power.
    This is a one shot, part inspired by an old idea and Infinity War. The characters live on a reality warped Earth, and have been granted reality warping abilities of their own.

Looking for 4 players, but might extend to 6

Characters are PL10, and free creation (no PP limit) with the following restrictions:

Characters must have Variable 6, with no Extras or Flaws. Original intent is for 4 characters who control Fire, Earth, Air and Water... but will listen to alternative suggestions for some other 'elemental force'

Other powers should be used to make the character combat capable.

Skills like Ranged Combat [Name of Variable Power] are legal.

All characters have an Advantage called 'The World That Was' which grants 10 HP for the purposes of scene edits only.

Given the above, and use of Variable, I'm looking for 'clean' builds unburdened by too many extraneous other powers. I am all for interesting Complications, Features and details
    Last edited by BtripleM; 21st May 2019, 11:22 AM.

Re: A Poweful Reality [One-Shot, Recruiting]

I'm interested. I kinda call dibs on Water.

Comment

Originally posted by jmucchiello View Post
      I'm interested. I kinda call dibs on Water.
      Feel free to build something... and we'll see if anyone else wants to dip in.

Comment

Originally posted by BtripleM View Post
        Given the above, and use of Variable, I'm looking for 'clean' builds unburdened by too many extraneous other powers. I am all for interesting Complications, Features and details
        Can you be more specific about this? I have an alternate form "water" that's already 45 points outside of the variable power. Is this "not clean"?

Alternate Form (Liquid) - Activation: Free Action (45 PP)
        • Elongation: Elongation 3 Elongation: 60 feet, +3 to grab - (3 PP)
        • Flows Like Water: Movement 10 - Environmental Adaptation: Underwater, Permeate 3 (Full speed), Safe Fall, Slithering, Sure-footed 4 (20 PP)
        • Insubstantial: Insubstantial 1 Fluid - Extras: Precise; Descriptors: Water (6 PP)
        • Looks like Water in Water: Concealment 4 - All Visual Senses; Flaws: Limited: Limited to Underwater (4 PP)
        • Swimming: Swimming 8 Speed: 120 miles/hour, 1800 feet/round - (8 PP)
        • Withstand the Depths: Immunity 4 - Environmental Condition: Cold, Environmental Condition: High Pressure, Suffocation (All) (4 PP)

The Variable power would be for stuff like "Engulf - suffocation", "Water Blast", "Teleport via Waterpipes", etc.
        Last edited by jmucchiello; 5th April 2019, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Can you be more specific about this? I have an alternate form "water" that's already 45 points outside of the variable power. Is this "not clean"?
          Clean is my largely subjective term for builds that have a tight theme and don't try to accomplish everything at once...

I can see the Alternaye Form working with the Variable, so happy to see it in a full build

Comment

This looks interesting. Would "Sound" be considered an "Elemental Ability"? What about "Thought"? Can "Space" be considered elemental?
            [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1243-My-Dream-House"]My Dream House[/URL]

Comment

Okay, so "anything goes" as long as the theme is tight. (Which by definition limits "anything" but I'm guessing the idea is to be the best iconic elementalist. Luck Control would be out of bounds, for example.)

I'm liking dream's line of thought
              Last edited by jmucchiello; 5th April 2019, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dream View Post
                This looks interesting. Would "Sound" be considered an "Elemental Ability"? What about "Thought"? Can "Space" be considered elemental?
                Sound feels too narrow to be elemental/fundamental... but Space or Thought could be interesting builds

Comment

Bonus points: all the PCs take power sets from the Infinity Stones

Comment

Seems very interesting. I've got a couple ideas that I'll get write ups to.

As an aside, are you looking for more Western inspirations for elements, or any source as long as it's an element of some kind?

Comment

Originally posted by TF1Wayfarer View Post
                      Seems very interesting. I've got a couple ideas that I'll get write ups to.

As an aside, are you looking for more Western inspirations for elements, or any source as long as it's an element of some kind?
                      Original ideas was the four western elements, but I'm not averse to other influences.

Comment

Where did the "final battle" take place? Our character backgrounds will have to say why we were there I suppose (or that we just lived there).

The OP implies that time has passed and that the 4-6 of us are the world's only heroes. How long have we been operating as heroes? Do we all know one another (perhaps a question for when we have a group assembled)? Are there restrictions on our public reputations?

Comment

Where did the "final battle" take place? Our character backgrounds will have to say why we were there I suppose (or that we just lived there).

The OP implies that time has passed and that the 4-6 of us are the world's only heroes. How long have we been operating as heroes? Do we all know one another (perhaps a question for when we have a group assembled)? Are there restrictions on our public reputations?
                          The idea I'd that it doesn't really matter. You may all have been in the same.place, or slightly different places... from slightly different realities. If you want a fixed locale, I have the Victorua & Albert museum in London in my head.

You've been heroes for 3 years, and are aware of each other. Up to individual players how well you know each other.

No limit on public reputations.

Comment

Okay, this can only get excessive from here. It's nice being able to afford all the "this concept should have this but can live without it" stuff in it.

Oceanchild
                            (Hero; PL: 10; PP: 284/999)
                            Body of Water
                            Strength: 12/4; Agility: 4; Fighting: 5/2; Awareness: 4
                            Stamina: 6; Dexterity: 2; Intellect: 8; Presence: 3
                            Dodge: 7/4, Parry: 7/5, Fortitude: 10/6, Toughness: 13, Will: 10/4

Body of Mist
                            Strength: 4; Agility: 4; Fighting: 5/2; Awareness: 4
                            Stamina: 6; Dexterity: 2; Intellect: 8; Presence: 3
                            Dodge: 5/4, Parry: 5, Fortitude: 10/6, Toughness: 15 (Imp 9), Will: 10/4

COMBAT
                            Initiative: +4; Close: +5; Ranged: +2
                            • Descicate: Cumulative Affliction 10: +10 (Fortitude DC 20)
                            • Grab: +8 (Special DC 22) Range: Close
                            • Suffocate: Progressive Affliction 12: +8 (Fortitude DC 22)
                            • Throw: +8 (DC 27)
                            • Tsunami: Cone Area Move Object 10: (DC 25) Range: Close
                            • Tsunami: Cone Area Nullify 10: (DC 20) Range: Close
                            • Unarmed: +8 (DC 27) Range: Close

SKILLS: Acrobatics +10 (6r); Athletics +12; Close Combat: Descicate: Cumulative Affliction 10 +10 (5r); Close Combat: Unarmed +8 (3r); Close Combat: Water Effects: Variable 6 +8 (3r); Deception +7 (4r); Expertise: Cryptography +15 (7r); Expertise: Egyptology +15 (7r); Expertise: Linguistics +15 (7r); Insight +14 (10r); Intimidation +3; Investigation +14 (6r); Perception +14 (10r); Persuasion +12 (9r); Ranged Combat: Throw +8 (6r); Stealth +15 (11r); Technology +12 (4r)
                            LANGUAGES: American Sign Language; Ancient Egyptian; Arabic; Chinese (Mandarin); English; French; German; Greek; Hebrew; Japanese; Latin; Lithuanian; Persian; Polish; Portuguese; Russian; Spanish
                            ADVANTAGES: "The World That Was" 10, All-out Attack, Animal Empathy, Connected, Equipment 3, Evasion, Fast Grab (free), Improved Grab (free), Improved Hold (free), Improvised Tools, Languages 5, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close, Concealment) (free), Precise Attack (Close, Cover) (free), Takedown

POWERS
                            • Body of Water - Activation: Free Action; Advantages: Fast Grab, Improved Hold (100 PP)
                              • Alt: Body of Mist - Activation: Free Action (1 PP)
                                • Blends into the Air: Concealment 6 - All Aural Senses, All Visual Senses
                                • Cloudy: Protection 9 +9 Toughness - Extras: Impervious
                                • Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait 17 - Traits: Fortitude +4, Will +6, Dodge +1, Fighting +3
                                • Eyes Everywhere: Senses 1 - Radius: Vision
                                • Light as Air: Flight 4 Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round -
                                • Misty Body: Insubstantial 2 Gaseous - Descriptors: Water
                              • Eyes Everywhere: Senses 1 - Radius: Vision
                              • Flows Like Water: Movement 10 - Environmental Adaptation: Choose Environment, Permeate 3 (Full speed), Safe Fall, Slithering, Sure-footed 2, Wall-crawling 1 (-1 speed rank), Water Walking 1 (You sink if you are prone); Descriptors: Water
                              • Fluidity, part 1: Elongation 3 Elongation: 60 feet, +3 to grab -
                              • Fluidity, part 2: Extra Limbs 4 4 extra limbs - Advantages: Improved Grab; Extras: Sustained
                              • Gets Into Corners (Strength Effect) - Advantages: Precise Attack (Close, Concealment), Precise Attack (Close, Cover); Extras: Indirect 4 (Any point, any direction)
                              • Heroic Form: Enhanced Trait 37 - Traits: Fortitude +4, Will +6, Dodge +3, Parry +2, Fighting +3, Strength +8
                              • Looks LIke Water, In Water: Concealment 4 - All Visual Senses; Flaws: Limited: Only in water
                              • Made of Water: Insubstantial 1 Fluid - Extras: Precise; Descriptors: Water
                              • Surface Tension Effects: Protection 7 +7 Toughness -
                              • Swimming: Swimming 8 Speed: 120 miles/hour, 1800 feet/round -
                                • Alt: Speed: Speed 6 Speed: 120 miles/hour, 1800 feet/round - (1 PP)
                            • Linguist: Comprehend 2 - Languages - Read All, Languages - Understand All; Flaws: Check Required: Linguistics 11 (Dc 20 - linguistics) (1 PP)
                            • Water Effects: Variable 6 - Descriptors: Water (42 PP)
                              • Descicate -
                                • Descicate: Cumulative Affliction 10 - 1st degree: Fatigued, 2nd degree: Exhausted, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, Resisted by: Fortitude; Extras: Cumulative, Secondary Effect
                              • Suffocate -
                                • Suffocate: Progressive Affliction 12 - 1st degree: Hindered, 2nd degree: Immobile, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, Resisted by: Fortitude; Extras: Progressive; Flaws: Grab-based
                              • Transport via Water -
                                • Transport via Water: Teleport 14 Carry 50 lbs. - Extras: Accurate, Change Direction, Change Velocity, Extended (16000 miles in 2 move actions); Flaws: Limited to Extended, Medium: Pipes, Waterways, and Storms
                              • Tsunami -
                                • Tsunami: Cone Area Move Object 10 25 tons - Extras: Area (Cone) (60 feet cone, dc 20), Damaging, Linked: Tsunami: Cone Area Nullify 10; Flaws: Limited Direction: Away, Reduced Range (Close)
                                • Tsunami: Cone Area Nullify 10 - Counters: Fire; Extras: Area (Cone) (60 feet cone, dc 20), Linked: Tsunami: Cone Area Move Object 10; Flaws: Reduced Range (Close)

EQUIPMENT
                            • Underwater Lair (14 ep)
                              • Alt: The Nursery (1 ep)

Eyes: Aqua Hair: Dark Seaweed Green
                            Height: 5' 3" Weight:122 lb.

BACKGROUND
                            Tala Hassan was born in Jordan where she spent most of her youth. She learned Arabic, Persian, and Farsi from her grandparents. A few summers with missionaries allowed her to learn English, French, and Latin.
                            She was accepted at Columbia University in New York City for a degree in Antrhopology. There she minored in Mathematics and eventually was accepted to MIT where she earned a Ph.D. in Mathematics/Cryptography. She then moved to London to study Egyptology at Oxford University.
                            Along the way, Tala learned of the Voynich Manuscript and would study it in her spare time as it was in her wheelhouse. Three years ago in London, she had a chance to see the manuscript in person. Unfortunately, some psycho was using it to alter time and space. When she tried to make sure he did not get the book the whole world turned upside down.
                            The discovery that she could turn into water was a shock.
                            Tala is travelling lecturer and adjunct at several universities. She facetime's her family in Jordan frequently, but she does not often visit.

COMPLICATIONS
                            • Identity: Tala is well known for her knowledge of Egyptology and Linguistics. She lectures at various universities year round.
                            • Motivation: Responsibility: Tala is aware that this reality is somehow wrong and seeks to fix it but has no idea how to do that. So she does what she can to make the world better.
                            • Power Loss: Dispersal: Although Tala is perfectly capable of sleeping in her human form, when she is stunned (not counting the stunned effect from surprise), she tends to lose cohesion. For a Hero Point, the GM may state that she has lost cohesion due to being stunned and must make a Will check to reconstitute herself. The DC of the Will check is 20. If she was in her mist form when this happens, the DC rises to 25.
                            • Quirk: Traceable: In her Body of Water form, Tala leaves behind a trail of water wherever she goes. Unless she is moving through water, it is easy to track her steps along the ground. The GM can impose penalties to any Stealth roll she makes because of this.
                            • Weakness: From her childhood in the desert, she has never liked the cold. Since becoming a being made of water, she likes it even less. She is vulnerable to attacks with the cold or ice descriptor.

HEADQUARTERS
                            The Nursery
                            (- Custom Headquarters -; PL: 10; PP: 10/15)
                            Size: Medium; Toughness: 10
                            Features: Communications, Computer, Library, Living Space, Secret 3
                            TOTALS: Abilities: 1, Powers: 0, Advantages: 0, Features: 7, Skills: 0, Defenses: 2, Equipment: 0, Weapons & Armor: 0 -> 10

HEADQUARTERS
                            Underwater Lair
                            (- Custom Headquarters -; PL: 10; PP: 14/15)
                            Size: Medium; Toughness: 14
                            Features: Communications, Computer, Defense System, Fire Prevention System, Isolated, Library, Living Space, Security System 2
                            TOTALS: Abilities: 1, Powers: 0, Advantages: 0, Features: 9, Skills: 0, Defenses: 4, Equipment: 0, Weapons & Armor: 0 -> 14
                            MOVEMENT AND STRENGTH DATA
                            Flight: 30 miles/hour; 500 feet/round
                            Teleport: 16,000 miles per round, carrying 50 lbs.
                            Walking: 120 miles/hour; 1,800 feet/round; Running: 250 miles/hour; 1/2 mile/round
                            Swimming: 120 miles/hour; 1,800 feet/round
                            Jumping: Running 10 ft.; Standing 5 ft.; Vertical 2 ft.; Standing Vertical 1 ft.
                            Throwing Distances: 400 tons up to 6 ft, 100 tons up to 30 ft, 25 tons up to 120 ft

TOTALS: Abilities: 66, Powers: 143, Advantages: 26, Skills: 49, Defenses: 0 -> 284

HOUSE RULES
                            • Choose Starting PP

Comment

If you are still recruiting, I'd be interested in Earth or Fire. I have some ideas for both. Earth in particular would give me some ideas for transformations into mud or stone. I'm thinking golem.
                              Fox in the Hole: GM
                              A Call to Adventure: Arcanum

Comment

Working...
                              X