The Dynamic Duo - M&M 3e/DC Adventures 1-on-1 [RECRUITMENT]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [3e OOC] The Dynamic Duo - M&M 3e/DC Adventures 1-on-1 [RECRUITMENT]

It has been three years since the first superheroes in over seven decades entered into the public sphere. First was the Man of Steel Superman, in Metropolis, who rescued a flight that was about to go down. Then, a few months later, from the mists of the mythic past, Wonder Woman stepped into the present when she rescued hundreds of children from a mysterious cult that was training them as soldiers. In Keystone City, the red-and-gold blur known as the Flash has been seen, while the coasts have heard tales of Aquaman. Coast City reports news of a new Green Lantern, this one quite unlike the one that bore the name in the Second World War.
    Meanwhile, on the dark and gritty streets of Gotham, criminals and cops alike whisper tales of a dark protector a vigilante, a demon, a dark angel, or a costumed criminal. The Batman. Terror of the criminals who dare work in the night, the Batman is as much myth as fact, and many believe that he does not exist at all. Those criminals that have felt his wrath know better. Various costumed crazies, such as Poison Ivy, the Scarecrow, the Riddler, and the dreaded Clown Prince of Crime have met with the Dark Knights wrath.
    But new threats rise in Gotham on a daily basis, and Batman has been forced to work constantly to do battle with them. Though he does not admit it, he needs a partner. Someone to fight alongside him, and support him when things are tough.
    Hello there fellow forumites! Im Second Night and and Im doing an interest check to see whether anyone would be interested in playing a one-on-one game of 3e M&M set on Earth-34, a DC setting that Ive messed around with a bit. If I get enough interest, Ill switch to recruitment.

The premise of the game is that the player that is potentially you, reader will be playing Batmans first Robin. Now, you can make Dick Grayson, if you would like, or you can make an original Robin. Im currently playing with the idea that the character creation would be PL 8/120 PP with a strong preference for cowls and non-super types, but I might change my mind, depending on how I consider these things for awhile.

EDIT: I've decided on making this a PL 8 game, with 120 PP. I'd like your sheets to include a backstory of at least a few paragraphs explaining how and why your character became Batman's partner, as well as a brief sample of a post that you could imagine making in-game. Beyond that, the world's your oyster!

Anyways, thanks for reading, and let me know if you have any questions!
    Last edited by Second Night; 21st March 2019, 11:02 AM.

Re: The Dynamic Duo - M&M 3e/DC Adventures 1-on-1 Interest Check

Question for you Second Night, would you be open to Street-level super powers? Perhaps the ability to Mimic Skills & Abilities, aka Taskmaster and his Photographic Reflexes, a small talent, but infinitely useful when your Mentor is the G@^ D@&! Batman! Another thought for a low tier but useful power, would be the throw anything ability, aka, Bullseye.

Just spit balling here, but I'm curious.

Batman adopts Grayson at age 10, and presumably starts training him sometime after, but he was likely in the tights by 13, would we be that young?

Comment

Street-level powers such as the one you've described are acceptable. I've debated giving Batman Immunity 1 (Need to Sleep), from time to time, but I am not sure I want to. xD

I'm thinking that your age will be more like 14-17. I don't want it to be too young, though. 15-16 is the ideal range. I have a few ideas as to how I'll divide up the campaign, too, which will include some juggling of the life of a teenaged hero - y'know, gotta get the education that Batman can't always give you directly.

Comment

Cool, totally down with that. So some Spiderman-Peter Parker vibe of juggling social, school & family responsibilities! Plus Alfred making sure I am doing my homework and not letting projects pile up because I'm off chasing down the Penguin. I can totally get behind this idea.

Any requirements from a story perspective? I'll likely keep the orphaned aspect of the 1st Robin, to tie into that shared, tragic loss that binds both Batman & Robin. I will likely start with only a small gadget pool and increase my crime fighting equipment as I become more experienced in the trade.

Comment

Hm... I don't have any story requirements, no. I'll open up recruitment shortly, after I decide whether I'm doing this at a PL 8 or PL 10. I'm leaning towards 8, but Batman's PL 12 in the books, which means he'll easily outmatch any PL8 threats, unless I reduce his PL.

So, I'm still considering it. xD

Comment

Re: The Dynamic Duo - M&M 3e/DC Adventures 1-on-1 [RECRUITMENT]

Updated the OP.

Comment

No real reason to mess with the PL's or adjust Batman down because Robin is really there, at least in early career to Set Up for Batman, and to goon sweep. Deal with Minions, scouting, and reporting ... as always Robin wouldn't want to tangle with the Joker (Hello Jason Todd anyone?), but they're fine dealing with the mooks and minions, and once they are wrapped up, they are good to distract the big bad guys with smoke bombs, quips, or agile feints. Ultimately setting up Bruce for the Power Attack or what have you ...

You mentioned you had stages you were thinking of advancing through, which may be suitable to represent the passage of time, training & experience upping our PL by 1, until, as we enter our 20's we're close enough to PL10, to be competent on our own.

Oh, and as I begin to think backstory, what time frame are we set during? Grayson first appeared in 1940's, so what is the current political climate of the world? Modern day, we're just advancing the appearance of heroes in the world, or set in the early 90's, 80's, etc ... just curious as it will affect our origins.

Thanks!
              Last edited by Zen_Gypsy; 21st March 2019, 01:37 PM.

Comment

I call dibs on a Duela Dent-like prankster type if no one objects.
                [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
                [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Zen_Gypsy View Post
                  No real reason to mess with the PL's or adjust Batman down because Robin is really there, at least in early career to Set Up for Batman, and to goon sweep. Deal with Minions, scouting, and reporting ... as always Robin wouldn't want to tangle with the Joker (Hello Jason Todd anyone?), but they're fine dealing with the mooks and minions, and once they are wrapped up, they are good to distract the big bad guys with smoke bombs, quips, or agile feints. Ultimately setting up Bruce for the Power Attack or what have you ...

You mentioned you had stages you were thinking of advancing through, which may be suitable to represent the passage of time, training & experience upping our PL by 1, until, as we enter our 20's we're close enough to PL10, to be competent on our own.
                  Indeed. That is the idea - as the game goes on, the PL will be upped as training and such kicks in, etc.
                  Originally posted by Zen_Gypsy View Post
                  Oh, and as I begin to think backstory, what time frame are we set during? Grayson first appeared in 1940's, so what is the current political climate of the world? Modern day, we're just advancing the appearance of heroes in the world, or set in the early 90's, 80's, etc ... just curious as it will affect our origins.

Thanks!
                  The timeframe is modern - Heroes have been essentially gone since the 1950s, when they were forced to hang up the cowl or be hunted down by McCarthy's insanity. Three years ago, in 2016, they came back in a big way, and with them came the super villains. People feel a mixture of things about costumed heroes, but it's not quite like 90s Iron Age anger and disgust. There are many who consider superheroes insane or menaces, but just as many consider them great heroes. Most people feel mixed emotions about them, however.

Comment

Cool, that's enough for me to work on then!

Comment

Still tweaking it a bit, but I figured I'd get the basic mechanics out for inspection.

Robin (formerly The Imp/Ragdoll/Alice/etc) - PL 8

Strength 2, Stamina 2, Agility 4, Dexterity 3, Fighting 6, Intellect 2, Awareness 4, Presence 3

Advantages
                      Defensive Roll 2, Equipment 4, Evasion, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Initiative, Improvised Weapon 3, Jack-of-all-trades, Power Attack, Skill Mastery: Acrobatics, Skill Mastery: Stealth, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
                      Acrobatics 6 (+10), Athletics 2 (+4), Close Combat: Martial Training: Strength-based Damage 2 6 (+12), Deception 4 (+7), Expertise: Streetwise 3 (+5), Insight 4 (+8), Investigation 4 (+6), Perception 4 (+8), Ranged Combat: Utility Belt Weapons 9 (+12), Sleight of Hand 5 (+8), Stealth 6 (+10), Technology 5 (+7)

Powers
                      Protection: Protection 2 (+2 Toughness)
                      Movement: Movement 1 (Swinging)
                      Martial Training: Strength-based Damage 2 (DC 19)
                      Gag Gadgets
                      . . Banana Peel: Linked Effect
                      . . . . Trip: Affliction 10 (Linked; 1st degree: Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Prone, DC 20; Alternate Resistance (Acrobatics / Agility), Subtle: subtle, Triggered: 1 use - Walk over it (avoid with Acrobatics); Limited Degree)
                      . . . . ... and Fall: Damage 8 (Linked; DC 23; Subtle: subtle, Triggered: 1 use - Step on it (avoid with Acrobatics / Agility); Resistible: Acrobatics / Agility)
                      . . Extendable Staff: Strength-based Damage 6 (DC 23; Accurate: +2, Dangerous 2, Disarming, Reach (melee) 2: 10 ft., Smashing)
                      . . Throwing Discs: Strength-based Damage 2 (DC 19; Disarming, Homing 2: 2 extra attempts, Increased Range: ranged [2 extra ranks], Ricochet: 1 bounce, Smashing, Split: 2 targets, Tripping)

Equipment
                      Commlink, Costume [Protection: Protection 2, +2 Toughness], Grapnel Gun [Movement: Movement 1, Swinging], Utility Belt [Gag Gadgets]

Offense
                      Initiative +8
                      Extendable Staff: Strength-based Damage 6, +8 (DC 23)
                      Grab, +6 (DC Spec 12)
                      Improvised Weapons: +12 (DC 19)
                      Martial Training: Strength-based Damage 2, +12 (DC 19)
                      Throw, +3 (DC 17)
                      Throwing Discs: Strength-based Damage 2, +12 (DC 19)
                      Trip: Affliction 10, +6 (DC Dog/Fort/Will 20)
                      ... and Fall: Damage 8, +6 (DC Dog/Tou )
                      Unarmed, +6 (DC 17)

Complications
                      Enemy: Robin is targeted by her mentor's enemies, some of whom hate her just as much as her mentor.
                      Honor: Robin won't take unfair advantage of someone, although she does enjoy her tricks.
                      Identity: Robin knows the value of keeping her identity a secret.
                      Motivation: Justice: Robin is out to make the world a better place by bringing lawbreakers to justice.

Languages
                      Native Language

Defense
                      Dodge 10, Parry 10, Fortitude 8, Toughness 6/2, Will 8

Power Points
                      Abilities 52 + Powers 2 + Advantages 17 + Skills 29 (58 ranks) + Defenses 20 = 120

Background
                      Duela Kovacs was born to unknown parents, and left at the doorstep of Gotham City Child Services in a basket with a note indicating her intended name. Early in her life, she was exposed to the film, Annie, and decided to adopt that carefree optimistic point of view in all aspects of her life. Well, life isn't easy in Gotham City, especially if you're an orphan, so she learned to supplement her upbeat attitude with her fists and knees as needed, pairing martial arts classes with gymnastics with every chance she could get. And, well, somehow she crossed the line between defending the other children she knew from foster care to becoming a costumed vigilante. She never really took on anyone big, and most of her targets were abusive foster parents, with it becoming common knowledge at Gotham City Child Services that whispering the name of a culprit in certain desolate corners of the building seemed to result in justice being done. During that time, she adopted a range of self-made costumes, from Rag Doll (similar in appearance to a Raggedy Ann doll, ditched when she realized that the criminal Ragdoll might find it infringing on his persona) to Alice (petticoats, a blonde wig, and a rabbit mask, dropped after she got too much attention from Mad Hatter) to Rorschach (trenchcoat, and a white sheer mask with mirrored black spots like an ink test, dropped when she found people confusing her for The Question) to her last costume of The Imp (dimestore devil costume, combined with a fair amount of misinformation about diabolic "powers"). Eventually, Batman caught up with her. Impressed by her moxie, but worried about her getting in over her head (and secretly appalled at her choices in costumes), he decided to solve two problems with one stroke. As Bruce Wayne, he adopted Duela Kovacs, and as Batman, she's become his new Robin. To his dismay, she's kept a few of her old gags onhand, although he can't dispute their combat efficacy. When out as Robin, she wears a costume that flattens out her meager curves, appearing androgynous, having had it impressed upon her by Batman that female heroes often suffer worse indignities at the hands of villains.

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at https://www.wolflair.com
                      Mutants & Masterminds, Third Edition is 2010-2017 Green Ronin Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.

Notes: Largely based off of the "The Protg" archetype in Hero High. I was going to have a larger gag arsenal, cribbed from my Pratfall character, but I didn't think Batman would go for that. Largely a fragile accurate costumed type, she a heavy-hitting attack with her staff (originally a mallet as Ragdoll, a croquet mallet as Alice, and a baseball bat as The Imp), and she's as adept using improvised weapons as she is with her fists, giving her additional options where she doesn't want to make direct contact with an opponent.

Multiple choice background with shifting identities, gag-based weaponry, and first name drawn from Duela Dent, aka Joker's Daughter from Teen Titans, last name drawn from another red-haired gymnast in child services who turned to vigilanteism.
                      Last edited by FuzzyBoots; 23rd March 2019, 11:27 AM.

[url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Just a friendly note, you may want to indicate a deadline for submissions to let people know how much time they have. Most people go for about two weeks. Less and people miss seeing it. More, and their interest might wane by the time you start.

Welcome to the boards incidentally! Make yourself at home.

Comment

I'm not too much for Batman myself, but I wanted to say this setup is a really great idea.

Comment

That's assuming we didn't scare Second Night off with our enthusiastic response...

Comment

I hate to say it, but I'm going to pull this one off of the actively recruiting list until Second Night comes back.

Comment

Working...
                              X