Crisis of the Secret Wars!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [3e IC] Crisis of the Secret Wars!

None of you knows where you are right now.

One moment you were on your own Earth, dealing with whatever calamity had befallen it this week when suddenly everything went white in the literal blink of an eye. You haven't gone blind; You can still see yourself just fine. It's as if the world around you had simply...vanished and you are now left in the space it left behind. You can't see anything else, can't hear anything else, can't feel anything else. Then, just as you're beginning to wonder how long you'll be stuck like this, you see a speck on the horizon; It would have been almost impossible to perceive if not for the fact that it was the only other thing in this strange void. Just as quickly as you spotted it, you realise that it's getting closer and closer to you, or are you getting closer and closer to it? It's hard to tell. Either way, you also realise that either it or you are picking up speed and show no signs of slowing down. About a half-minute later, it's close enough that you can tell what it is - some sort of spherical orange ship, vaguely reminiscent of the Death Star to those of you with the knowledge of what that is. And, much like the Death Star, this thing is massive - around the size of the moon. There are still no signs of slowing down as it rapidly gets closer and closer to you or vice versa. But, before you can splatter against it like a bug on a windshield, your vision goes completely red and you hear a strange wooshing sound from...just about everywhere around you.

A second or two later, your vision returns to normal and you find yourself standing in the middle of a circular room, standing alongside five strangers.

"I sincerely apologise for that disconcerting experience," says a deep voice from above. Looking up, you see a tall humanoid with reddish-brown skin and a strange cornrows-like hairstyle, dressed in vaguely regal armour (complete with a magnificent purplish-red cape!), standing on a floating platform, which begins to descend downwards. As it touches the floor and the humanoid steps off, you see that they must be at least seven feet tall. "Transporting individuals here has never been that troublesome before," they continue, clearly deeply concerned by something, "As I said, I apologise. I suspect you have many questions, but I believe introductions are in order. Spider-Man of Earth-1048, Green Lantern of Earth Eighty Three, Molecule Man of Earth-515, Batwoman of Earth 27, Steel of Earth Fifty Two, and Scyllas of Earth 453, Ninety One, and 102, I am the Monitor."

"And you may call me the Unseen," adds a whispy, faint voice from behind. Turning around, you see a pale, emaciated human man with one eye glowing bright blue, dressed in tattered black robes and wrapped in chains that are attached to a mass of wreckage that looks completely out of place in this otherwise sleek and high-tech room. "It is not my name, but it is what I am called."

"I know you have no reason to trust either of us," the Monitor continues "But we implore you all to listen to us as we explain all of this. Existence itself may very well hinge on you doing so."

OOC: Feel free to describe what you were all doing just before you got teleported onto the Monitor's satellite.

Re: Crisis of the Secret Wars!
    "Give us any chance we'll take it
    Give us any rule we'll break it."

She left a little while ago. It was only left a little while ago. She'll be back. We're in love. She loves me. She wouldn't leave me. She's just delayed. Delayed these past six months.
    "We're gonna make our dreams come true."

"Oh shut up," Owen shouts at the TV as it evaporates into nothingness. He looks around the room. It is a mess. He destroys the mess. Bags and bags of eaten take out disappear and the floor seems polished. "She's not coming..."

There's a flash of light....

"...back." He looks around and moans. "Supers? Fuckin' Supers!"
    Last edited by jmucchiello; 12-21-2018, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Scylla

The world crumbling around her, Scylla was shielding herself from a huge piece of rock, shutting her eyes in preparation for the impact. But nothing happened. As she opened them to look around, she saw nothing but white oblivion.
      "Am I dead?" she asked herself
      "You're not dead." said scientist Scylla. "Technically you are still a functioning biological organism, albeit super odd and mythical, but still living pretty much." she explained.
      "Well, that's reassuring I guess..." she replied, floating the void white universe she now found herself in.
      "Somehow the other Scylla was right, it was not the end yet..." the scientist wondered.
      "We are about to have some fun." the oracle Scylla added, with a hint of mischief.
      "What? You know something don't you? Why on earth do you have to do that? Just tell us dammit!" said scientist Scylla.
      "Uhm... I think she means that..." Scylla said pointing at the quickly approaching dot in the horizon.
      What followed was an internal discussion on who was right, what was the speck, what was the white world they were now into, and if were they moving or was the increasingly big speck moving. It all turned into terror and screaming as the object became a huge planet-like structure about to splatter them. *Giggles*

Scylla, both of the non-mutant-with-future-seeing-powers, were shocked and couldn't quite focus on the tall and odd characters that were speaking to them. She looked in astonishment at her surroundings "Hum... I understand... I think...""
      [B][SIZE=3]心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ[/SIZE][/B]

Comment

SPIDER-MAN
        HP: 1

"Do it."

"Watch my back."

Spider-Man crouched down on the rooftop's ledge, the lenses of his mask narrowing in on the event unfolding below. Five men stood in the New York alleyway, one of them struggling to pry open a door with a crowbar while the others were on lookout. The wall-crawler figured that not all of them could have forgotten their keys, right?

"So, uh... what do we do, Peter?"

Spidey turned to the young man joining him on patrol today, Miles Morales. The protege wasn't exactly dressed for the occasion like his teacher was, with just his civilian clothes and one of Peter's old masks, but he would have a proper costume for Miles in time. The teenager was overly eager to do some good with his newfound powers, and after several phone calls pleading for lessons more advanced then just web-swinging, here the two were.

"Why don't you call the play, coach?" the veteran web-head replied, echoing something Miles had once asked him.

"Well... you would swing in and take one guy out with a kick first," Miles slammed a fist into his palm to accentuate the move. "Then you'd make a bad joke, and-"

"OK, first of all, I make good jokes," Spider-Man interrupted, sounding hurt. "And you can't always be thinking about what I would do. Sure, I've been at this job for a while, but the most important thing to remember is to-"

And suddenly he was hurtling through the white void, on a direct course with a massive spherical orbital station in the distance. Peter desperately shot threads of webbing in every direction, hoping to latch on to anything and stop himself. His webs found nothing to attach to, however. Spider-sense was going absolutely crazy, buzzing harder than the wall-crawler thought it ever had. So hard it hurt. This was it. This was how he died. Either by becoming a red and blue smear on the side of an orange ship or by his head exploding, whichever came first.

And then it all stopped.

"Oh god, I think I'm going to throw up in my mask," Spider-Man muttered to himself, finding his footing now that he was back on solid ground. When the one who had introduced himself as the Monitor was finished speaking, Peter found some words. "Look, I like existence as much as the next guy-I'd say existing is probably one of my top five favorite activities-but I'd also really like to know where we are."
        Last edited by Bill from Accounting; 12-24-2018, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Green Lantern Sector 1003
          Clark Kent/ Zan-El

Conditon: Normal

Six weeks ago, the sun had gone dark as a Sun Eater blotted the light in the sky and began to drain the Sol System's star of its energy. Helpless, Clark Kent watched the skies and held Lois close just as he would have done in any universe. But despite being stronger by far than the average person, he was virtually nothing against this threat. At least not without his powers - those of the Green Lantern.

Guardians !
          He called out in his mind. I beg of you ! Save this world and I will return to Krypton !

And now, six weeks later, the crisis averted, Clark Kent of Earth found himself on the world that he had grown up on, shackled during much of that time in an exoskeleton that compensated for the immense gravity until he found the ring that he now bore again.

He was seated on asteroid between Rao and Krypton, gazing at the red sun and wondering what would happen if the Sun Eater came here. Would he be able to stop another? An alert from his ring relayed a message, he was needed on Kyrpton. A moment's concentration and a shimmering green screen appeared above his left arm, providing a viewscreen of where he needed to be, showing him the details he needed to know. His will was all he needed to move, but he had found that moving physically in a manner representing his intention made it simpler - and so he stood and jumped from the asteroid, a green comet moving at incredible speed back toward's Krypton.

And then, whiteness.
          Last edited by Bladewind; 01-10-2019, 06:36 AM.
          [QUOTE=Enigmatic One;178799][FONT=Verdana]Note to self, get Bruce and his Bat-force to take this one.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[URL="https://www.dropbox.com/s/0m9d5ob31w5pfjw/Earth%20218.pdf?dl=0"]Earth 218 - JLA Academy Setting[/URL]
          [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/28-Blade-s-Third-Edition-Builds?p=109&viewfull=1#post109"]Blade's Builds[/URL]

[URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1554-The-Merge-3E-(OOC)?p=124944#post124944"]The Merge Character Sheet Lists[/URL]
          [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/4284-The-Merge-Cosmic-Quandaries-3e-Interest-check?p=167246&viewfull=1#post167246"]The Cosmic Merge Character Sheet List[/URL]

Comment

Batwoman
            Condition: Hungry, but normal / HP: 1

Batwoman gasped from the pain, shutting her eyes as the material of her shattered ribs began to reknit. She knew countless millions of neogenically mutated plasmodium cells, hijacked by nanite controllers of her own design, were working to stimulate the osteocytes in her damaged bones. She was fully aware they were releasing growth factors, inflammatory instigators, and signalling hormones into her system to regenerate her punctured heart. She knew all this in a clinically detached way, and yet she still seathed that she couldn't yet crack the regenerative neural pain problem. She'd tried direct nociceptor inhibition, she tried endogenous opioid production, hell, she tried straight up opioids - it never worked. There was something about her specific reaction to the neogenic process that left her nervous system hyper-aware of every wound, every injury she received.

And Deathstroke - aka, the Terminator, aka, J. Jonah Jameson - definitely gave her plenty of injuries this time. He must have been operating on the working assumption that she really was a vampire, because his sword had made mincemeat of her heart during their vicious battle. She paid him back, mostly in full, after trapping his weapon in her body, disarming him, and beating him near to death. He had tasted surprised - he must have expected her to burst into flames or some-such nonsense when he had "staked" her - when she had begun to feed on him. She was particularly annoyed and frustrated this time when her suit's failsafes kicked in and locked her body up before she could kill Jameson. Nightcrawler still had to pull her fangs out of him. God, did she hate Jameson.

With a loud and audible pop, her ribs reformed and set back into their rightful place, drawing another gasp from her. She sat in her command chair before her massive supercomputer in the Cave as she healed, nursing a spinner flask of cultured human cells she had pulled directly from the centrifuge. At least she had gotten the growth medium formula improved, she mused, as she sipped at the flask's sludgy contents: the flavor was much improved over the vile stuff she had been forced to use for months.

It was around then, as she felt her heart begin to beat again, that everything went white. Her heart skipped its second beat as a sci-fi psychedelic trip began, complete with vertiginous zooms and the freaking Death Star. And then suddenly she was surrounded by supers.

Sighing, she upended the rest of her spinner flask into her mouth, swallowed, then threw the flask into the ground with a loud crack of shattering glass.

"What. The hell. Is going on."

Comment

Steel

Natasha was flying over Metropolis, giving her armor a shakedown to see how the new part, the black box, or Mother Box, as Superman had referred to it, would integrate with her armor. The belt buckle of the shades-of-grey suit had a new belt buckle, with three yellow dots connected by two zig-zag lines. "No excessive power drain, no fluctuations... let's try using it. She focused her concentration on it, her "loving feelings" which it responded to, planning to channel power to her rocket boots. Then the world went black.

"This is a WHOLE lot of nothing" she thought as she tried to get a radio feed or... something, anything. She gripped the hammer in her left hand more tightly as that strange ship approached and brought her aboard, dramatically.

"I'm listening, but make it fast, and make it good" the young armored woman said, planting the head of the hammer on the deck with a metallic thud.

Comment

OOC: I am aware that I am not currently described in the story and that I am late. However, I was told that I could still participate. If that has changed, tell me and I will leave. I am continuing as though I were included in the original post.

Constantine

It was day-break. You couldn't tell from inside his flat. His flat's windows were shuttered, and even if they weren't, they faced west. Still, Constantine knew it was morning. Sleep didn't come well for him last night. Something was... off. Like an itch in the small of your back that you can't quite reach. Or a bit of nervous energy just as you close your eyes.

"It's in your head. You're just a bit knackered from the night before." Constantine tried to reassure himself. He wasn't successful.

"Am I needed? That was Kokbiel, Constantine's sitter. Damn thing was always there to remind him of his deal; whether that was its intention or not.

"I am fine. Leave me alone unless I call you."

"I do not answer to you. We have the same master.", Kokbiel said. Constantine knew that he was the only one who could hear it, but that didn't stop him from trying to keep it down.

Constantine was getting his clothes on. He had his underwear on when everything went white. He looked all around him. Nothing. Everything was empty. It was like the world ceased to be, except that it wasn't open space. It was just a white space. At first, Constantine began to wonder if he was on something. This wouldn't be his first trip. However, his time with Zed had given him quite a lot of experience with that kind of plonkering.

The white space wasn't entirely empty. There were others floating there with him. Constantine was briefly self-conscious of his wear, or lack-there-of. A quick look showed him to be entirely clothed. He wore his trench-coat, white button-down, and tie. A small box of half-crumpled cigarettes lay in his pocket. A small growing red orb began to approach.

"I may need you sooner than I thought, ya wanker." Constantine said.
                Fox in the Hole: GM
                A Call to Adventure: Arcanum

Comment

Originally posted by nowhereman2 View Post
                  OOC: I am aware that I am not currently described in the story and that I am late. However, I was told that I could still participate. If that has changed, tell me and I will leave. I am continuing as though I were included in the original post.
                  OOC: Don't worry, you're good.
                  Originally posted by Bill from Accounting View Post
                  When the one who had introduced himself as the Monitor was finished speaking, Peter found some words. "Look, I like existence as much as the next guy-I'd say existing is probably one of my top five favorite activities-but I'd also really like to know where we are."
                  The Monitor briefly bows his head in your direction. "Ah, my apologies. Welcome to my home. Think of it as a dimensional satellite, through which I can observe and travel to various realities with little issue. Or, at least, I could."

Originally posted by Wheeljack View Post
                  "I'm listening, but make it fast, and make it good" the young armored woman said, planting the head of the hammer on the deck with a metallic thud.
                  The Monitor nods as he opens a panel on his right gauntlet, revealing what appears to be a keyboard with strange alien symbols. "I will endeavour to meet those requirements," he replies. He quickly types something into his keyboard and, a few seconds later, you hear some unseen machinery begin to whirl to life as the lights in the room dim.

"For those of you unfamiliar with the concept of a multiverse, I will try to make this as simple an explanation as possible," he begins, pressing another key on his wrist. Suddenly, a three-dimensional, holographic blue sphere appears in the centre of the room. "The fundamental principle of a multiverse is that for every potential scenario, there exists a reality in which that scenario occurred. Essentially, every decision, every branch in history, no matter how small, creates at least one other reality."

As he is saying this a few more holographic spheres form around the original orb, and then more form around them, and then even more form around those ones until you can no longer tell which sphere is the original. The Monitor points to a random sphere. "Let us say that in this universe, the Axis powers won Earth's Second World War, and let us say that in this one," he points to another random sphere, "There never was a Second World War, and let us say in this one," he points to a third sphere, "That superheroes have only existed for a year. I hope that was a simple enough explanation."

The Monitor presses another key on his gauntlet and the holographic spheres begin to move around, sometimes briefly merging together before moving apart again. "The multiverse is, for lack of a better term, fluid," he continues, "It moves around - it reshapes itself - and occasionally two realities will overlap with one another in the process. The results are often significant for the world's involved, potentially even disastrous, but ultimately harmless to the multiverse as a whole. Until recently, that is, when I discovered that there was...well, another multiverse, and the two multiverses were merging together."

Another key is pressed and a second network of spheres - these ones coloured red - appears on top of the first set...and then, one by one, they begin to disintegrate. "These two multiverses are, quite simply, incompatible with one another, and as a result, both are being torn apart."

"It is also making observing and travelling between universes...problematic," the Unseen suddenly chimes in, "As both I and the Monitor can attest to."

The Monitor grimaces. "Yes, my satellite has nearly been torn apart just attempting what should be simple navigation, and it has caused many strange, seemingly random effects, the most obvious one being the Unseen and his prison suddenly existing inside this very room."

"We managed to solve things...relatively diplomatically," the Unseen adds, "And proceeded to investigate this crisis together."

"And our investigations have led us to two conclusions," the Monitor finishes, "One: There is an intelligent force behind the merge. And two: All of our calculations show that you seven are now our best hope of saving both universes."

He presses a few more keys and the holograms vanish as the lights brighten back up to their original state. "We have further information to share, but at this point, we must ask a single question: Are you willing to travel to many dangerous realities in order to save existence itself? If not, I understand; You will be sent back home, to the exact second you left, with no memory of any of this. I cannot force you to make a decision, and I also cannot let you undertake this mission without being aware that is extremely dangerous."

He looks over to Steel. "Did that explanation meet your requirements?"

Comment

Green Lantern Sector 1003
                    Clark Kent/ Zan-El

Conditon: Normal

The Green Lantern lifted a hand and a display screen of his own appeared above his raised fist.

"Information transmitted to my ring prior to my arrival here would seem to suggest you are telling the truth 'Monitor.'

"However, you are asking us to trust and follow your lead with very little to base that trust on."

Zan-El let that statement hang in the air as he scanned what the Monitor would allow him to know.

"Having said that, the beings in this room all vibrate on different quantum signatures. This leads me to believe your statements, at least the explanations you have provided thus far. I am willing to defend reality, indeed it is a part of my duties as Green Lantern. I would, however, request that Krypto be made available to me."

OOC - detecting Quantum Signatures is technically out of his wheelhouse, but for the sake of descriptor and providing a reason to accept, I went with it... (Or, it could be considered a use of Cosmic Awareness if you prefer...)
                    Last edited by Bladewind; 12-28-2018, 05:35 PM.
                    [QUOTE=Enigmatic One;178799][FONT=Verdana]Note to self, get Bruce and his Bat-force to take this one.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[URL="https://www.dropbox.com/s/0m9d5ob31w5pfjw/Earth%20218.pdf?dl=0"]Earth 218 - JLA Academy Setting[/URL]
                    [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/28-Blade-s-Third-Edition-Builds?p=109&viewfull=1#post109"]Blade's Builds[/URL]

[URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1554-The-Merge-3E-(OOC)?p=124944#post124944"]The Merge Character Sheet Lists[/URL]
                    [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/4284-The-Merge-Cosmic-Quandaries-3e-Interest-check?p=167246&viewfull=1#post167246"]The Cosmic Merge Character Sheet List[/URL]

Comment

Molecule Man
                      HP:1, Luck: 1, Condition: Normal

Owen takes a moment to open his cosmic awareness to verify what the Monitor and Unseen have said.
                      Cosmic Sense, Acute, Accurate, Analytical, extended 1 x10: Perception check: 1D20+12 = [8]+12 = 20 (I assume, with analytical, he can also verify the others are all from different universes with this roll.)

"I assume it doesn't matter what we decide since there will exist one or more universes in which each of us declined your invitation and there will exist one or more universes in which each of us has accepted your offer. The moment you plucked us from our home universes those split universes came into existence. This dimension may exist outside of the universes but it is still within the multiverse." Owen pauses to let that gibberish sink into some of the other heroes. "So let's assume this is one of the subset of universes in which we all said yes. Hopefully it is also one of the one's where we succeed with minimal collateral damage. But even my senses aren't that acute."

Comment

Constantine

The Monitor droned on about multiverses and merging. Technology. Man's new god and religion. He replaces his mind with cell phones, his mouth with texting, his soul with TV. Then he wonders why the world loses all interest and wonder. Constantine had no idea what the Monitor was talking about, but he knew that it had nothing to do with him. This was a problem caused by technology. Probably. At least he couldn't think of how to use magic to gain the same effect.

Constantine was about to tell the Monitor to send him back when something occurred to him. Every possible universe existed. Did that mean there existed a version of himself that bested the First of the Fallen? Would that version of him be able to help him escape his own enslavement? It was probably worth a shot.

... but none of this matters if that demon thinks I am plotting to escape. It would bugger any plan I could come up with.

"I think you have got the wrong bloke. I specialize in the dark arts mate. This is clearly someone else's problem and definitely not in my wheelhouse."

Our master would be unhappy if we allowed the universe to be destroyed.

"I don't care what our master thinks" Constantine said as quietly as he could.

We will assist in this.

"Care to explain why I am here, specifically, before I make up my mind?" That should be good enough to keep Kokbiel from getting suspicious.

Constantine's Deception check against Kokbiel's Insight: D20 + 20 vs. D20 + 3 = 6 + 20 vs. 7 + 3 = 26 vs. 10. Constantine succeeds.

(Edit: Forgot to actually use a deception roll. Not really sure if I should have done it or not, but if so... there. Random numbers from RANDOM.ORG. )
                        Last edited by nowhereman2; 12-28-2018, 07:08 PM.
                        Fox in the Hole: GM
                        A Call to Adventure: Arcanum

Comment

Scylla

"Huh, I don't want to go back, thank you, my world was about to merge and explode, so I know you are right." the nymph said, playing with her green hair. It was now that her presence was actually noticeable, she was a scarcely dressed green skinned beauty. She eyed the other people there with curious eyes, a gaze not unlike of that of a playful child. If you knew about mythical creatures, you would know her inviting smile and eyes might hide a darker purpose.
                          "Technically we don't." said scientist Scylla. "He could be right, or he could be bullshitting us." she added, cynically. "Either way if we go back we are fried fish, so let us play along." . Scylla made a pout face as she sighed leaving her hair to fall on her chest.
                          "Well, you are right as always I think" she replied out loud, apparently to some invisible being.

"The Monitor is not lying to us. But he doesn't know the whole truth either." the oracle Scylla added.
                          "Again? You know something and you wont tell us!" said scientist Scylla, irritated.
                          Rolling her eyes Scylla shut down her mind to hearing the bickering of her other selves.
                          "And how could we save the whole existence? Everyone seems so professional here , except that hooligan there, but I don't think I could contribute much to these sciency things...".
                          [B][SIZE=3]心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ[/SIZE][/B]

Comment

SPIDER-MAN

Spider-Man was no stranger to the multiverse; it had not been long ago when the "Superior" Spider-Man of Earth-616 had recruited him to help fight the immortal energy vampires known as the Inheritors. Come to think of it, both Otto and the Monitor had referred to Spidey by the same Earth number... was there some sort of multiverse Wiki where they looked all this up? In any case, stopping the Inheritors was one thing, but saving TWO multiverses? That was firmly out of his "friendly neighborhood" league.

"I think you have got the wrong bloke. I specialize in the dark arts mate. This is clearly someone else's problem and definitely not in my wheelhouse."
                            "Yeah, I think there's been a mistake," Spider-Man echoed the opinion of the British mystic. "I know I put 'Helped stop Spider-Geddon™' on my resume, but I don't think I'm qualified for this. Are you sure you have the right Spider-Man? I guess there's a lot of us. Maybe you wanted the one with a giant robot?" Spider-Man would never turn away from an opportunity to save others, but if what the Monitor and the (very visible) Unseen said was true, the stakes were too high to be put in the wrong hands.
                            Last edited by Bill from Accounting; 12-31-2018, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PauloDeWalshio View Post

He looks over to Steel. "Did that explanation meet your requirements?"
                              Steel nodded along with the explanation. She'd understood the bare bones of it on the theoretical level, enough to know they were on the level. And some of the old guys had mentioned a "Crisis" now and then. Plus she was getting a warm feeling from the Mother Box. "Good enough" she concedes.

She turns to Spider-Man and Constantine. "You're both experts at multi-dimensional physics? I think we can be sure the big aliens in the spaceship know a little about what they're talking about and they didn't pick us out at random. I know heroes that are stronger and faster and smarter than I am, and I know another Green Lantern or two..." Steel tilts her head as she looks him over. There's something very familiar about him... "Let's hear their plan before you say you don't fit in it, huh?"

Comment

Working...
                              X