X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: In the Shadow of Imperator: Extended Interludes

Wednesday 30, January 2019 - Ibadan and Priam

"Ah, so you are up to something then!"

Alistair gives a slight exclamation when Peter admits to as much, then jabs a finger at the Nigerian in an 'ah hah!' fashion. When Peter mentions the time since their last meeting Alistair bobs his head and gets a distant look in his eye. Perhaps remembering the utopia on earth that once was, as well. After a few seconds he is back to the here and now,

"Since too long, and here you are unable to tell me about the mischief you have been up to. Seeing as we won't be sharing stories … a drink then?"
    Roll Call thread: [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/54-Character-Cache?p=211&viewfull=1#post211]Character Cache[/url]

Comment

Dr. Levi Kripke
      HP: 3
      Cnd: Normal
      PP: 4

Thursdays 31, January 2019; 1200 hours - Discourse between the doctors

Originally posted by Sakuro View Post
      "So, what do 'orderlies-in-training' do, by your definition?"
      "At first boys, you'll feel like custodians and stock-clerks.", Levi says matter-of-factly.

"It may seem like little more than manual-labor for a bit, but that's just until you get familiar with where all the specific medical and cleaning supplies are stored. You'll often be asked to transport patients that cannot transport themselves. This will -at times - involve some heavy lifting even if it's only from the ground to a stretcher to an operating bed. You'll also be responsible for sterilizing a surgical room after every case. The type of cleaner will depend upon the potential infections in the patients bodily-fluids. Eventually, you'll progress to actually drawing blood, administering medicines that I "signed'off" on, and even doing external suturing. Also, any medical equipment that is used up while treating a patient must be replaced before the next patient is brought into surgery."

Levi pauses for a second as not to overwhelm the two youths. "These are just some of the duties. You have to be flexible as unforseen duties may arise. I don't want to scare you off. I don't expect much at first, especially from Mark given his condition. Mark, can you read and write? If so, then you could be put to use with a pen and clipboard. We will need to keep records of people we treat. We need to know what previous conditions and allergies they have, as well as any medications they have taken."

Again he stops to let this sink in...."I promise to treat you with respect so long as I don't catch you stealing, using hospital drugs, and/or abusing patients. If I do, you'll be shocked at how merciless I can become. So boys, do you think you can handle it?"
      Last edited by Supernaturalist; 4th April 2019, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Thursdays 31, January 2019 - Discourse between the doctors

Levi was ignoring what Mark had said. He was using certain trigger words that set the teenagers off. Each time he called them boys, they looked irritated. When he asked if Mark could read and write, both of them looked offended. At Levi's mention of getting merciless, the teenagers bristled, straightening up. Not with respect. No. It was as though they had just been threatened or challenged. Mark, who had been reclining and resting climbed to his feet despite the pain he must have felt. He looked ready to take some kind of physical, possibly violent action, when Luke raised a hand and placed it on his companion's shoulder. Luke spoke for the pair of them again, looking at Levi as he restrained Mark.

"While we're thankful for your help and we are willing to provide assistance here, you need to get this straight doctor: We aren't your lackeys, we aren't children, and if you think to treat us like it or get merciless ... as you say … we'll bleed you. Even if you are under Dr. Sokolov's protection. If you can handle that we will be fine."
        Roll Call thread: [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/54-Character-Cache?p=211&viewfull=1#post211]Character Cache[/url]

Comment

Dr. Levi Kripke

Originally posted by Sakuro View Post
          "While we're thankful for your help and we are willing to provide assistance here, you need to get this straight doctor: We aren't your lackeys, we aren't children, and if you think to treat us like it or get merciless ... as you say … we'll bleed you. Even if you are under Dr. Sokolov's protection. If you can handle that we will be fine."

Levi's smiling visage melts at the boys response. Whether it was an issue of misunderstanding, miscommunication, or what the whole conversation had gone terribly wrong. Maybe the aging doctor had too much stress upon him or was simply naive about the level of respect due to bosses and elders. Regardless, he snaps. He began to open his mouth to berate the boys but realized it might be dangerous to do so under the circumstances.

Instead he simply ignores their response, stands up, and walks toward the door. "Hitori!" he says with a raised voice. "Hitori, may I see you!" He says a little louder.

OOC: I know that Hitori is here most of the time, but If I have to spend an HP to insure that this conversation takes place while he's around, then just let me know.
          When Hitori comes to the door, Levi turns back to face the boys. "Hitori, these boys have become...threatening. Would you trouble me to show them out? If they become belligerent, then do with them as you wish."

Levi turns to the boys, "You'll bleed no one, you little ingrates! Now get out!" Levi can barely control his anger; his face is a rare shade of red. Yet he says no more and leaves the room heading off to the medical supply room to take inventory of all the medical supplies available to him.

Good help is so hard to get these days.

Comment

Hitori Zanzo

Thursdays 31, January 2019; 1200 hours

HP: 0
            LP: 0
            CND: Fine, for a mutated abomination

Hitori quickly walks to the treatment wing. He had avoided the area so far, he feared he could get tempted by the injuries and such. But there was something in Levi's voice that had alarmed him. From inside the room, his slender fingers come into view first, slowly grabbing the door frame, before the skeletal mask that was his face makes itself visible.
            "Oh..." Hitori says. "How tasty of them...."

OOC: I will assume that would be enough for now.
            Last edited by Evolución; 5th April 2019, 07:51 AM.
            [B][SIZE=3]心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ[/SIZE][/B]

Comment

Alexandria Thompson
              HP: 2

Alex took the instructions and glanced at them. She cursed mentally as she worked out that there isn't much time to prep. Definitely not enough time to ambush them after getting her gear. She had to do this however, any potential leads to Eric would be worth much more than a few stronghold soldier's lives and some gangsters agenda. She folded the paper and popped it into a pocket of her jacket. "Consider it done." She said coldly to Marco, then turned around and lerlft. She waited for Sanders to come if she was done inside. When they got some time, she took out the instructions and showed it to Sanders.
              "Marco wants me to extract someone his boss cares about. Here is the route of the security detail, as well as times. I'm anticipating a squad of troopers, we can probably take them if we are smart. He's left some gear for at the op area. I'm gonna ask again so you are sure, you up for this? This isn't an order, this is me asking for a favour. You can turn around and so no, and I'll be cool with that." Alex speaks quietly to Sanders.
              Current Games

Jason Anderson (Telekinetic Storm): Infinite New Vindicators
              Alexandria Downes (Seraph): Operation Phoenix

Comment

Peter Ezima
                HP: 1

"Sounds good." Peter agreed. "Have some with you, or is there a place you've got in mind?"
                Impeach the peach!

Completed Games:
                Crinoverse - Avengers
                Crinoverse - Young Avengers
                Crinoverse - Bay City Sentinels
                Crinoverse - Time After Time
                Crinoverse - San Antonio Avengers
                Crinoverse - Honnounji Academy
                Extreme Unction

Comment

Diego Gonzalez
                  CND: -1 toughness, dazed until end of next turn

Tuesday 29 to Wednesday 30, January 2019 - Search for a Generation

Diego was the stubborn sort. While a faithful servant of the cause, he was determined to help even the odds. Besides, sitting around didn't suit him. After the first day of getting lost, one would think Diego would have decided it was a bad idea to explore alone, but he was determined. Just in case he got lost again, he even brought some snacks. It turned out to be a good thing as inevitably, he got lost again. Determined to make the best of a bad situation, he trudged ahead and kept his eyes pealed for anything that would help him get some bearings or markers. Unfortunately, none presented themselves.

Just as he was trying to work it all out in his head, he missed an obvious trap. Even though he managed to get out of the way of the falling debri, some of it hit him in his vest as he dodged out of the way. There wasn't time to grumble though. Disoriented as he was, he still had the presence of mind to bring his assault rifle to bear on the incoming attackers. Sometimes, he never learned.

OOC
                  Dodge 22, Toughness 9, Init 20, -1 toughness and dazed
                  Last edited by mrdent12; 5th April 2019, 06:50 AM.
                  [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/46-mrdents-menagerie-of-characters]My characters past and present[/url]

Comment

Thursdays 31, January 2019 - Discourse between the doctors

Hitori does not sleep much. The hunger keeps him awake. His body tells him his friends are not his friends. It tells him that they are fuel for his cells. Food for his body to process into energy. Sustenance, nothing more, but sustenance that he needs. There are no other people here in this hospital and as such Alex, Diego, Levi, and Peter often stoke the urge. When he does sleep, Hitori dreams of feeding. To a human mind the dreams would have been horrific and grotesque orgies of gore. But no matter what he told himself Hitori wasn't human anymore. In his dreams he remembers what it was like when he fed on human biomass. How pleasurable and deeply satisfying it was. Like nothing he had ever experienced before. Every cell of his body thrummed with delight. But the dreams are echoes. Memories or dark fantasies. When he wakes, the hunger is there, becoming more and more demanding.

Hitori rouses from his reverie to the sound of Levi's voice summoning him. Though he tells himself it is Levi's voice, and he assures himself there is human meaning behind the sounds that the doctor is making, none of those noises really matter. They are the bleating of food. Food that he needs. Now.

When Levi moves to the door and begins calling for someone, the two teenager's are quick to pick up on the intent. That's all they need to begin their departure. They brush past Dr. Kripke on their way out of the room only to find a hulking monster in the hallway and there they freeze in terror. There the three of them are. Two hot heated youths that overstepped their bounds and the fool arrogant enough to summon this dark demigod whose hunger felt as though it could glut on the entire world. An old man and two injured boys. Easy prey all … and it would be easy to devour them all. They were insignificant food that only existed because he had not consumed it yet.

Levi, it doesn't matter if you know the monster in front of you is Hitori. He's frightening to behold. Every primitive animal part of your psyche says to get away from him and stay away. What he looks like, the way it feels to be around him, these aren't things you can desensitize yourself or acclimate to. He is horrific and terrifying in a way that is beyond description. When you close your eyes or look away, the memory of him is haunting. You have had restless nights, kept awake by the nightmares of Hitori and what he has done. In your waking moments you get flashes of him coming for you and eating you the way he had those Stronghold soldiers. Dr. Kripke may have called to Hitori on an impulse, but when the creature arrives, no matter his feelings for Hitori the man, there is fear of what he has become.
                    Originally posted by OOC
                    Supernaturalist, normally I would say to use the HP to call someone into the scene. However, I am going to touch on Hitori's Hunger Complication and use this as an opportunity to reinforce the fact that Hitori is dangerous to be around, scary, and that he cannot always control himself. Levi will not be able to just walk away from the scene either. He invited a living nightmare into this scene, now he gets to deal with the repercussions one way or another.

For Levi, there is no Fear related check to make. The flavor is there as a reminder, you should never feel comfortable or safe around Hitori. Your character does have nightmares about Hitori. He is frightening, even if you don't run away screaming, that fear is there. It is OK if that conflicts with Levi's feelings of friendship and comradery. People can have conflicting emotions.

Hitori is operating at reduced mental ability and is at -1 Intellect (if he needs to make a check involving Intellect and this hinders him, I will give out a HP). Evolucion, you may choose to have Hitori give in to his hunger. If you do, you will get 1 HP and you will be able to control how he satisfies his hunger for fresh human biomass in this moment. Alternatively you may also choose to have Hitori try to resist his hunger. If you do, he will not get the HP and you will need to make a DC 20 Will check. In the result of a failure on the Will check, I get to decide how Hitori satisfies his hunger. Even should you go with the Will check and succeed, Hitori should be notably struggling with himself.

Thursday 24th January 2019 - Flux

Once Alexandria meets back up with the Corporal, Sander takes the piece of paper describing the routes and begins inputting them into her smartphone so the route can be marked on a map that she brings up on the screen. She pauses in the middle of this as Alexandria asks her if she is up to the task. Balling her right hand into a fist she slugs the Sergeant in the shoulder. Hard, but not enough to actually hurt.

"I'm certain that I do not want to help Casamiro. But this is going to help you. So stuff the waffling and tell me your plan."

When Peter asks if Alistair has any liquor on him the Greeks scoffs.

"Who do you think you are talking to?"

The question was rhetorical, proven so as he reached a hand into an inner coat pocket. When he pulled it out there was a pewter flask. Without preamble he unscrews the top, brings the flask to his lips and takes the first. His response to the alcoholic beverages is a prolonged 'ah', before handing the flask over to Peter. As Peter moves to accept he hears a voice from outside the room, in the meeting hall, raise in volume.

"… as I walked through the desert I saw him fall to the earth like a blazing star. For two days and two nights I walked before I came upon his holy remains ..."

Tuesday 29 to Wednesday 30, January 2019 - Search for a Generation

Diego raises his rifle, bring it to bear on the on rushing group of raggedly clad Under City dwellers. Half of them were rushing at him anyway. Three people with crude masks with twisted faces made from various scraps wielding an assortment of handheld weapons make to close the distance between themselves and their would be victim. Behind them the rest hold handguns, which they are training on the spy.

Originally posted by OOC
                    I'll use your suggestion from earlier concerning the assault rifle. Consider the automatic fire option busted after leaving the lab. Meaning no Multiattack. Other than that it'll have the same stats.

Diego rolled highest. He may go first. There are six Minion antagonists. Three have melee weapons and three have ranged weapons.
                    Last edited by Sakuro; 6th April 2019, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Hitori Zanzo

Monday 28, Janurary 2019 - A Cure for Hitori

HP: 0
                      LP: 0
                      CND: Fine, for a mutated abomination

"Thank you Levi-san." said monster-Hitori. Levi had been the closest person he had made any emotional link with. The one that it pained the monster saw as food the most. His empty eyes regard him as he worked. "I... Sokolov said there was no cure... Do you think there is still some hope?"
                      Last edited by Evolución; 8th April 2019, 10:56 AM.
                      [B][SIZE=3]心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ[/SIZE][/B]

Comment

Dr. Levi Kripke

The whole incident bothers Levi: From the whole interview-gone-wrong to calling in "muscle" in order to insure his own safety. As the boys run past him, Levi assumes that Hitori will simply let the two boorish punks leave. When they are devoured faster than if they had encountered a Great White shark, Levi realizes more clearly the bestial side of Hitori's nature. He also realizes more clearly just how unsafe he himself is.

"Thanks for the snack, doc.", Hitori grunts. Yet saying "You're welcome." doesn't enter Levi's mind. Instead he walks backward, frightened, nodding his head up and down in a "yes" fashion and hoping that Abomination-Hitori is satisfied.

He continues to back away slowly, his eyes never leaving the monstrosity in front of him. As he opens the door to the medical supply room and slips inside, me moves away from the door hoping that Hitori does not come after him. After a few minutes pass, and he feels safe, he proceeds to take an inventory of his drugs and equipment.

It's probably not wise to encourage Hitori to feed around me again. Yet there must still be something of Hitori's will left in that...thing. He could have eaten me but he did not. Thank you, my friend.
                        Last edited by Supernaturalist; 6th April 2019, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Peter Ezima

"Right," Peter chuckled, "I forgot we called you the Scotty of Hadron for more than one reason." Peter took a healthy swig of the flask in turn. The oration poked his curiosity. "What's that all about?"
                          Impeach the peach!

Completed Games:
                          Crinoverse - Avengers
                          Crinoverse - Young Avengers
                          Crinoverse - Bay City Sentinels
                          Crinoverse - Time After Time
                          Crinoverse - San Antonio Avengers
                          Crinoverse - Honnounji Academy
                          Extreme Unction

Comment

Dr. Levi Kripke

The collection of DNA material from Hitori is nerve-wracking. Though Levi still clings to his memory of an honor-bound warrior, there was no denying that the current creature housing Hitori's identity is far more primal. When the aging-physician finally collects both a vial of fluid from the post-transformation Hitori and a plethora of dead skin cells from pre-transformation Hitori, he breaths a sigh of relief as he scurries away from the monstrosity.

As Levi settles into the medical-lab. He admits that Dr. Sokolov has provided a sufficient foundation of equipment to do basic genetic testing.

Though there was a time when Levi analyzed chromosome-data frequently for clinical purposes, namely in the effort to detect heritable, neurological diseases, it had been a few years since he had done so. Still, he felt confident in his ability to analyze his comrades genetic material. At the very least, Levi hopes to identify and isolate all the the new genotype mutations to Hitori's DNA. As for being able to do a darn thing about these mutations...well...that is a completely different story. Dr. Sokolov's dismissal of a cure worries Levi, but does not daunt his effort. If there is hope for Hitori, Levi intends to give it his best shot.

OOC: I'm going to use the HP gained from the last Extended Interlude narrative on my Expertise: Physician roll. Here's my roll: Supernaturalist:1D20+14*→*25(11 + 14). The final result is a 25.
                            Last edited by Supernaturalist; 8th April 2019, 05:28 AM.

Comment

While others were settling in to the hospital Dr. Sokolov provided as a place to operate out of Levi spent his time collecting back ichor from one of Hitori's as yet unhealed wounds and swabs of dead cells from the hilt of his swords. Once he had the materials to work with Dr. Kripke brought them to the tool of medical science and began the process of studying the smallest pieces of his friend's past and present.

What Dr. Kripke discovers is confusing. It doesn't make sense. His observations show that there are two sets of human DNA suspended in the black ichor that oozed from Hitori's wounds … but neither of them match the DNA sample he had gotten from the swordman's personal effects. Further, they are entirely human with no sign of mutation outside the human norm.

Originally posted by OOC
                              HP cannot be used preemptively to add +10 to a roll Supernaturalist. They may be used to make a re-roll, and if the number of the die roll is 10 or less, before modifiers, then you add 10 to the total of die roll + modifier. The result of Levi's roll is a 25. Which is not high enough to get clear information, but you do get information nonetheless.

For the date, we'll go with the day Dr. Kripke initiated the effort, which was the 28th.

… and Peter gets a mouthful of corn whiskey. It was strong, kick you off your feet stuff. Not that far removed from moonshine. He also gets a bit of the stink eye from Alistair when he mentions the bit about his friend being called the Scotty of Hadron City. While Peter listens in on what is being said in the meeting hall Alistair helps himself to another drink of the corn whiskey.

"Hm? Ah. That's Gideon giving his sermon. You should sit in on one some time."
                              Last edited by Sakuro; 8th April 2019, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Dr. Levi Kripke

The analysis leaves Levi with many more questions than answers. There are so many things he wants know, yet a few key questions stand out:

Who’s DNA is imbedded within the Black Ichor?

Why are there two strands of identical human DNA?

Does this new structure function as a completely new chromosome, replicating a different DNA than the composite genomes which constitute it?

How can I replace this new “DNA structure” with Hitori’s original DNA?

I need to talk to Dr. Sokolov. Perhaps there is some way that Hitori could be reconstituted during the Ascension process.

Levi knows that Hitori’s salvation lies beyond his own abilities. He must find a way to speak with Sokolov in order to see if any modifications can be made to the Ascension process for Hitori’s sake. Getting up from his lab-station, he walks towards the elevator doors in direct defiance of the super-scientist’s orders.

OOC: I'm not sure if the elevator will even let me go down to Sokolov's laboratory, but I'll try. If the elevator button's are not labeled, then I'll go to the lowest level first.
                                Last edited by Supernaturalist; 8th April 2019, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X