• Show
Clear All

Re: In the Shadow of Imperator: Extended Interludes

Dr. Levi Kripke
    HP: 2
    Cnd: Normal
    PP: 4

Thursdays 31, January 2019; 1200 hours - Discourse between the doctors

"Join me. We can talk on the ride down. I'm sure your patients will survive that long."
    Levi shoots a glance back to the wounded person on the floor. He begins to follow Dr. Sokolov into the elevator, but his physician's conscience doesn't allow him to fully enter. "I...um...you and I are pressed for time right now, sir. Perhaps in a day or so, doctor."

Levi grudgingly steps back away from the elevator doors and watches painfully as they close.

Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! You will be lucky to speak to Sokolov again anytime soon, Levi. You'd better start losing some of those Hippocratic sentimentalities of yours. Otherwise all you'll ever be is a field-surgeon instead of a leader of this movement.

Levi lets out a deep sigh and hangs his head.

After a few seconds he turns and rushes over to aid the injured person.
    Last edited by Supernaturalist; 1st April 2019, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Peter Ezima
      HP: 1

Wednesday 30, January 2019 - Ibadan and Priam

Peter thought about it and reasoned that an area unconnected to the past would be one less likely for Stronghold to keep an eye on. He donned a hoodie, took his taser with him and made sure the others were informed about what he was doing. But he was going alone. Better that less risk come to the others if something went wrong.

So he left, trying to navigate the Underground quickly before he came out onto the city streets. And be near the location 15 minutes in advance so he could see what he was getting into.
      Impeach the peach!

Completed Games:
      Crinoverse - Avengers
      Crinoverse - Young Avengers
      Crinoverse - Bay City Sentinels
      Crinoverse - Time After Time
      Crinoverse - San Antonio Avengers
      Crinoverse - Honnounji Academy
      Extreme Unction

Comment

Originally posted by OOC
        MrDent had earlier informed me that he'll have Diego take a back seat during this, or not get involved at all, since it centers on Alexandria's objective and Diego seems about finished with his intel gathering. So we'll operate under the assumption that Diego complies and move on. It MrDent decides that Diego would contribute more later on, that is still fine.
        Thursday 24 January 2019 - Flux

Initially Marco appears disappointed that something more dramatic did not occur between Diego and the large manly woman. When Alexandria bluntly addresses the topic of the job he was trying to weasel Diego into accepting, Marco's demeanor shifts. The mask of a buzzed club going buffoon was replaced with a straight edge.

"Jobs for Casamiro. Not me. That means you hear the pitch, you take the job. Back out and ..."

Instead of words, Marco make a slicing motion across his throat to express what would happen. He paused a short time to see if Alexandria was still interested. She seemed committed to putting in some work though, so he motions for her to move away from the bar and walks her over to a less populated region of the club. There he lays out the task

"Tuco, one of Casamiro's lieutenants, got himself pinched by Stronghold. They're moving him out of the city tonight. I have the transport route and time. You intercept them, pick Tuco up and bring him back here. Worst case, make sure he never talks."

Dr. Sokolov does nothing to change Dr. Kripke's mind. Instead he simply raises a single eyebrow at Levi as the elevator doors close between them. After chiding himself Levi makes his way to the waiting room where he finds Ren hovering near the injured parties. She looks frustrates. Her cheek muscles flexing as she clenches her jaw. There is an elderly woman who looks like she has received a beating, a middle aged man in similar condition, and two teenager boys. One has visible lacerations while the other is bleeding from a chest wound that the older woman is holding a cloth to. There is a sense of panic from the four people as the life leaks out of the severely injured teen.

Originally posted by OOC
        Levi has sacrificed his own personal goal, and possibly an opportunity to advance the cause, for people he does not even know (and blackberry cobbler). He get's 1 HP for the tough choice.

We may continue to play out this scene, or things that spawn off of it, if you like. However, Levi is going to get more attention as a doctor now. In the coming days Ren will bring more people in small groups. In turn these people will repay him with goods rather than money. Money having been meaningless in Hadron City until recently. You may leverage this to get supplies for your team or stock up on foodstuffs.

Peter navigates the Under City to avoid exposure from top side surveillance. But it comes with a cost. He inevitably has to pass through filth and stinks of the sewer when he reaches the surface. But he manages to exit across from the street of where he is expected to meet Priam. He finds himself in Ward 13. Compared to the streets of Ward , 13 is a ruin. Stronghold's presence is lax here and the streets are congested with rubble that makes it difficult for vehicle traffic to maneuver. But it is still present, it less common than elsewhere. As a result the sidewalks are full of people making their way to their destinations. In the far distance he can see signs of Stronghold check points and if he looks up, eventually he will see the passage of a drone patrol. But there are no signs of Stronghold patrol cars or mercenaries on foot as he has seen elsewhere.

Across the way from the concealed sewer exit that he used to reach the city streets Peter is able to see the meeting site. An unremarkable crumbling building. Standing outside of it is a man who is handing out fliers. Occasionally someone pays attention and take one, then walks into the structure.

Originally posted by OOC
        Peter has a day's time to prepare for the trek and plan out a route, so I will not ask you to make an Expertise: Hadron City check. However under normal circumstances you are going to need to make a check when passing through the Under City. In order to avoid the inherent dangers there and not get lost.

In order for Peter to blend in, or not get picked up on passive surveillance and drones he'll need to make a Stealth or Deception check. The DC is going to be lower here than it would be otherwise.
        Roll Call thread: [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/54-Character-Cache?p=211&viewfull=1#post211]Character Cache[/url]

Comment

Dr. Levi Kripke
          HP: 3

Levi had not "pulled" legitimate Trauma Room duty in almost 30 years. As he kneels down over the hemorrhaging boy, a memory flashes into his mind: He recalls a similar situation when he was an intern at New York-Presbyterian Hospital in Queens. He pauses awkwardly for a moment appearing to assess the young boy, but in reality he is clearing his mind of the daydream.

Levi calls for assistance from any other medical staff present. After making sure that the boy doesn't have an injured spine, Levi gives the ok for the boy to be lifted onto a stretcher.

OOC: I don't know if (or how many) persons are available to assist Levi, so I'll assume that there are at least one or two of Dr. Sokolov's people who can function as paramedics (or at least orderlies). If there are not, then I'll have to edit the scene.
          As the medical help transports the young boy back to the surgical area, Levi provides a cursory diagnostic of the other three patients. After determining that they are not critical, he simply asks Ren to keep them comfortable in the waiting area and await their turn.

The whole surgical process is more stressful than normal. Levi finds himself taking on the job of Anesthesiologist, Surgeon, Nurse, and Scrub Techs. God !@#$ it all. He thinks shaking his head in frustration. His agitation is heightened by the continued realization that he may have blown his small window of opportunity to speak with Dr. Sokolov.

At one point he makes himself stop, take a deep breath, and focus on the patient. There is no need to make the situation any worse than it already is.

OOC: I'm not sure if you want me to make a Treatment roll. Just say the word if you do. After determining the source of the bleeding, repairing the wounds, and insuring that the patient comes out of anesthesia, Levi will return to Ren and the other patients where he will provide an update as well as more medical care.

Comment

When Levi instinctively calls for aid in transporting the youth, no one comes. This results in the people around him assuming they are supposed to help. The other teenage boy finds a stretcher and brings it over. He and the middle aged man help the badly wounded teen onto the mobile platform and begin moving him to where Dr. Kripke directs them. The patient is then transferred to an operating table. Both people stay in the room unless Levi shoos them out with doctor talk, but they seem in tent on assisting, or watching to make certain he does not kill teen on the table. They don't have any medical expertise, but they can organize and supply him with the items he needs once descriptions are given. Which allows Levi to juggle a couple less things and focus on the more important or knowledge demanding aspects of his work.

Dr. Kripke finds that the teenager has a broken off piece of metal in his chest. A rusty spike that, on hitting some bone, fragmented inside of him. It is a terrible wound, and a wonder that he was conscious and not screaming in pain when he was brought in. Shock, maybe. With time an care Levi is able to stop the bleeding and patch the young man up. When he eventually returns to the waiting room to report to the group that brought him in all at once, he finds that Ren is gone and a transparent Tupperware container is waiting for him on one of the waiting room chairs. Atop it, a tub of extra creamy Whipped Cream.
            Originally posted by OOC
            There is no medical staff here that Levi or the other PCs have seen. The PCs are the only ones to occupy the first floor. Which is odd, because it is clean, maintained, and stocked.

Levi will be able to beat the DC for this Treatment check by using Skill Mastery and taking 10. If you had delayed, a roll would have been required.

Concerning Ren, if you wanted to interact with her more, she will be back the following day with more people in need of medical assistance. She just wasn't going to stick around and fill the role of nurse.
            Last edited by Sakuro; 2nd April 2019, 06:17 AM.
            Roll Call thread: [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/54-Character-Cache?p=211&viewfull=1#post211]Character Cache[/url]

Comment

Alexandria Thompson
              HP: 2

Thursday 24th Jan 2019 - Flux

Alex watchs, hiding her amusement as Marco threatens her. She'd find it more intimidating if she wasn't taller than the man, and could probably bench him, but she didn't want to annoy the guy. She didn't want to have to clear out a crime syndicate, it would take enough time of her hands as these people could be useful. She nods as she listens to Marcos proposal, then nods.
              "Seems doable. Give me the details of the location and time, as well as the route. Your Casimiro sending his own guys as well or is this a one woman op? Also, I don't work for free. I want intel on these stronghold guys, anything about the "Midnight Angels." You hook me up, I'll consider helping out again in the future. Seems fair to me."
              Last edited by Nareik123; 2nd April 2019, 06:51 AM.
              Current Games

Jason Anderson (Telekinetic Storm): Infinite New Vindicators
              Alexandria Downes (Seraph): Operation Phoenix

Comment

Peter Ezima

Peter navigates the Under City to avoid exposure from top side surveillance. But it comes with a cost. He inevitably has to pass through filth and stinks of the sewer when he reaches the surface. But he manages to exit across from the street of where he is expected to meet Priam. He finds himself in Ward 13. Compared to the streets of Ward , 13 is a ruin. Stronghold's presence is lax here and the streets are congested with rubble that makes it difficult for vehicle traffic to maneuver. But it is still present, it less common than elsewhere. As a result the sidewalks are full of people making their way to their destinations. In the far distance he can see signs of Stronghold check points and if he looks up, eventually he will see the passage of a drone patrol. But there are no signs of Stronghold patrol cars or mercenaries on foot as he has seen elsewhere.

Across the way from the concealed sewer exit that he used to reach the city streets Peter is able to see the meeting site. An unremarkable crumbling building. Standing outside of it is a man who is handing out fliers. Occasionally someone pays attention and take one, then walks into the structure.
                Peter waited for the drone patrol to pass before tugging the hood over his head more and went over, first crossing the street, and pausing as if in thought before seeming to notice the flyer-distributor, taking one from him, and then entering the moldering building.

OOC
                Stealth: 1d20+6 26
                *whistle*
                Impeach the peach!

Completed Games:
                Crinoverse - Avengers
                Extreme Unction

Comment

Dr. Levi Kripke

When the young boy finally "comes to", Levi is administering a Tetanus shot to his shoulder. The aging doctor then pivots around on his stool to face the other young boy, man , and woman. All three are injured, but none of them are life threatening. I can't take care of every shiksa and shagetz that walks through my door...at least not by myself.

"This young boy will be fine, but he'll need to rest and avoid any exertion for at least ten days." Levi addresses his comment in the direction of all three people since he has no clue of the relationship between any of them. He then points to the other young boy, the one with the obvious lacerations. "You...young man...hop up here on this examination table please."

As he begins to clean the wounds and examine more closely the depths of the lacerations, he begins to speak, again addressing no one in particular. "You know, I could use help around here. People are going to be coming; and they will be in need. I'm not sure how any of you make a living, but I have an offer to make you."

Levi administers small injections of lidocaine around the various wounds before proceeding to suture. All the while he continues to speak with the four persons in his med-bay. "The offer is tentative based on your work-ethic, honesty, and permission from Dr. Sokolov. But if everything works out, the jobs may become permanent. At the very least, you'd be able to stay around here where it is safe, and have a chance to earn an honest living in relative peace."

Levi moves to wrap up the last of the stitches and pauses to give them time to think things over. "There is no pressure. If you make a living doing other things and wish to return to it, then that's fine. I'll find help elsewhere. But I shall say this: the skills I teach you here will be very valuable; and the longer you stay the more valuable your skills will become. You'd almost certainly be welcomed in any other part of the city. For the record, I expect the number of forces loyal to our movement to grow. There will be more fighting and much more need for emergency medical care. There will be no shortage of work."

Levi finishes with the young boy by also giving him a Tetanus shot. Sliding his stool over to the middle-aged man and woman, he eyes both of them. "You two took quite a beating. I'm going to have both of you stand behind a privacy curtain and undress for an examination. I just need to make sure you have no broken bones or ruptured organs. This will give you a little more time to think."

Taking his time, he slowly and carefully assesses each one. All the while he communicates about the level of pain they feel as he applies pressure to each bruised area. When the exams are done and both patients cloth themselves, Levi meets with all four of them. "Well, what do you say? Shall we celebrate your new jobs with some cobbler and whip cream?"

Comment

Thursday 24th January 2019 - Flux

While Alexandria talked Marco had taken out a notepad and pen. Plying pen to paper he quickly scribbled something down. Then he ripped the page free of the notepad and handed it over to Alex. When she took the time to look at it he would find a series of street names that could be used to map out a transport route leading out of the city, followed by an initial starting time for the transport. It was an hour from now ...

"I can hook you up with a throw away vehicle and some equipment. The crew is on you to put together. Or go solo. Doesn't matter as long as the job gets done. I'm sure information as payment won't be an issue. Don't expect it on the spot though."

Originally posted by OOC
                    As a reminder, Alexandria was able to convince Corporal Sander to assist her with this.

Peter merges with the flow of pedestrian traffic and melts into the crowd. To all appearances he was a faceless nobody going somewhere unimportant. Taking a pamphlet from the distributer, a casual glance of the literature shows it to be some kind of pro-Imperator propaganda. Inside the building, while is poor shape, can been cleaned up and decorated. There is some furniture, and people have congregated in an open space where they are listening to a dusky skinned man deliver some kind of speech. After lingering for a minute Peter spots a familiar figure break away from the crowd and begin to approach him.

Alastair Callas, or Priam, was a man of modest height and probably had a little too much weight on him. He was a straight faced man with a short, well maintained, beard and a head of curly dishwater blonde hair. Before reaching Peter, perhaps three or four meters from doing so, but after making certain he had been noticed, he turns and moves to lead the way to a side room.

Thursdays 31, January 2019 - Discourse between the doctors

The youth that Levi had initially attended to takes offense to being called a 'boy' by the old doctor, and voices that fact that he is a man. But the offense isn't enough to prevent him from thanking Dr. Kripke for his help. When Levi did not need their help any long the other to males left the room, to give the patient privacy. So Levi ends up having to address them not as a group, but individuals. Though this takes longer, the results are mostly the same: he is able to provide his patients the care they need. Which they are thankful for, and assure him they will return later with adequate recompense for his assistance. There are no other serious injuries in the group, other than the woman having a broken arm, but Levi does not know their medical history and cannot say whether or not there are other factors that need bearing in mind.

When he makes his offer of a job, and potential apprenticeship, the two adult politely refuse and are intent to go on their way. The youths on the other hand are both interested. Though the more injured of the two, by your own suggestion, is going to need to rest for an extended period of time that would keep him from starting this job in the near future.

Comment

Dr. Levi Kripke

Levi nods affirmatively at the boys with a slight smile. "Very well then. You two are trainee-orderlies. If you work hard, listen carefully, and follow the rules, then you'll move on to bigger and better things. I suppose we need to start somewhere, eh?"

Levi holds out his hand to shake theirs, "My name is Dr. Kripke. That is what you should call me henceforth. What are your names?"

Comment

Peter Ezima

Peter followed Alistair, before shutting the side room door behind them for privacy. "You look well." It was a surprise to see Alistair had managed to maintain personal grooming so well what with being hunted by Stronghold.
                        Impeach the peach!

Completed Games:
                        Crinoverse - Avengers
                        Extreme Unction

Comment

Thursdays 31, January 2019 - Discourse between the doctors

The youths shake Dr. Kripke's hand. Though they lack his smile. They're both injured, grim faced, world weary teenagers and don't seem to fully buy into his offers. But they are willing to see if it goes somewhere that benefits them. As they shake his had each in turn shares their name and he learns that the one with the chest would is named Mark, while the other is named Luke. Mark is quiet, and drained, leaving Luke to speak up an inquire what they're both likely thinking.

"So, what do 'orderlies-in-training' do, by your definition?"

Originally posted by OOC
                          Don't expect much to come of these trainees in the immediate future. They're injured. On top of that after Ascension, and after the PCs establish their own base, I will be posting a system for training people, creating devices, and causing other lasting change in the world.

Once the door is closed, and the sounds of the speaker's voice is blocked off by the barrier, Priam looks Peter over with a critical eye. His nose scrunches up in an exaggerated fashion and he waves one hand back and for infornt of his face as though to fan the air away from nose.

"You look like crap and you smell like it too. What mess have you gotten yourself into?"
                          Last edited by Sakuro; 3rd April 2019, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Diego Gonzalez
                            CND: -1 toughness

Tuesday 29, January 2019 - Search for a Generation

After getting something more than a quick bite for a "dinner", a can of raviollis that seemed newer, Diego heads to the place indicated as a place to rest. He didn't trust Dr. Sokolov. While the rifle stayed on the floor next to him, Diego kept his pistol under his pillow and went of into dream land with it in his hand ready to flick off the safety in case of an attack. There was worse places he had slept. It was better than on the ground or in a makeshift shelter in the middle of Siberia on the run from Russians. Throughout the hours he got rest, his mind kept drifting back to the cost of it all and how he had entered Hadron City with some lines they had been crossed to the point of being gone. It was one thing to serve the cause in the world. To be in a war zone as a freedom fighter was another story. That voice saying hold back was getting fainter.

Waking the next "morning", Diego checked to make sure nothing had changed with his surroundings. That was the problem with underground places. Morning and night cease to exist. Not seeing any changes setting off his internal danger alarm, Diego made his way to get a bite to eat for breakfast while also looking for a pen and paper. It was old school, but he preferred it over tablets since fire could undo the paper note quick enough. If he managed to find something, he sketched out the areas he had visited into a crude map as best he could recall. The Under City was a dangerous place and he didn't feel like going to far from routes he had traveled before without learning the off shoots. There was no GPS here. Dr. Sokolv didn't make any promises, so Diego figured he had at least a day or two to explore before hearing form the doctor again. Hopefully, Ascension was on the lower levels.

Nodding to whoever was still at the base and awake, Diego went to collect his stuff and any ammo to spare for his assault rifle. Bag on one shoulder, rifle hanging off the other with some bandages serving as the material, and pistol tucked in behind him Diego started out for the day. While he wanted to learn to navigate better, his primary goal was finding signs of First Generation. This wasn't exactly a sneaky type of trek as he wasn't confident in his ability to navigate in the dark corners alone yet. So, instead of stayed to routes he had traveled before veering into the off shoots for only a little. To anyone following him, they would think he was crazy retreading his steps so often. The downside of the strategy was he didn't cover as much ground. An obvious upside was that he didn't wander down anyone path he didn't already travel for too long.

On top of looking for signs, Diego also kept an ear open for trouble. If it looked like he could scare away the agressors with his rifle simply pointed at them, he would take that chance. While the victim might not appreciate it, he could at least get some good will from the less fortunate. The synical side of him viewed it as cultivating eyes and ears. The final shred of compassionate humanity viewed it as helping the helpless.

OOC
                            I left it open here in case one of the rolls turned up really bad. After this bit depending how it goes, I figure he'll take a rest and run into Ren in some fashion.
                            Expertise Hadron City 16 Day One
                            Expertise Hadron City 14 Day two
                            Perception 18
                            [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/46-mrdents-menagerie-of-characters]My characters past and present[/url]

Comment

Peter Ezima

"Need to know, I'm afraid." Peter smiled, trying to shrug off the odors of the Undercity. "But it'll do us a ton of good when it's done. You know Alastair, I haven't seen you since..." Since the sudden evacuations, the disappearance of Imperator. The end of a glorious time when both of them were around great wonders, working without a care in the world.
                              Impeach the peach!

Completed Games:
                              Crinoverse - Avengers
                              Extreme Unction

Comment

Tuesday 29 to Wednesday 30, January 2019 - Search for a Generation

Diego sets out into the Under City, without an experienced guide, and alone. But he is full of intent and purpose, with a weapon in his hands. His first day of exploration is frustrating and fruitless. The tunnels blend together and he cannot find the nearest plaza, the places that he had seen people congregate around most often in his limited experience in the Under City. At one point he touches down on some brittle ground and falls into some sublevel of the Under City. The hole he falls through, while not so high as to severely injury him, is out of his reach. Diego spends over twelve hours trying to get back to familiar ground. It would have been less of an issue if he could contact his companions, but he is unable to get a signal out to them.

The next day Diego sets would and fairs no better. After a turn or two what he thought was familiar territory becomes the unfamiliar and he is uncertain if going forward or turning around would actually result in retracing his steps. It is amidst his internal musings the senses motion from above. Something is falling from the ceiling towards him! With an upward glance he sees that pieces of concrete had been loosened and were about to crash down. While he reacts to this threat, a new one arises from up ahead in the tunnels. A cry goes out like a roar, and people begins spilling out from around a bend in the corridor.

Originally posted by OOC
                                Make a DC 15 Dodge check to halve the damage from the trap, followed by DC 20/17 Toughness. Then roll Initiative. There are six people, they are not inclined to talk, and they out number him six to one, so they aren't scared of him even if he has a gun.

Comment

Working...
                                X