Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Runner Up One Shot, Freedom City (IC) Chapter 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [3e IC] Runner Up One Shot, Freedom City (IC) Chapter 1

    It is a bright and sunny summer day in mid July, a Tuesday. Freedom City has no unusual activity, just the normal hustle and bustle of a large metropolis. The Freedom League reservists have received word that they should be on alert as the primary League heroes have left Freedom City for a mission near the Gulf of Mexico. But so far, there is nothing interesting going on.

    (OOC: Feel free to post what your heroes are up to on relatively normal Tuesday in July.)
    OOC Thread
    Last edited by jmucchiello; 12-06-2018, 09:26 AM.

  • #2
    Re: Runner Up One Shot, Freedom City (IC)

    (OOC: Reserved)

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Runner Up One Shot, Freedom City (IC)

      110 Ditko Street was, from the outside, a normal brownstone in Riverside. The street was closed to all but foot traffic, making it a quiet little oasis amid the bustling life of Freedom City. People who walked past 110 barely noticed the building, their eyes passing over it and slipping aside. This was not a coincidence. It was, rather, the effect of a powerful magical glamour, one which concealed the home and its current occupant Violet Pennyworth, also known as Earth's Master Mage. Finding the house - formerly the sanctum of Adrian Eldrich - had been a trial. Overcoming its mystic defenses and claiming it for her own had been an adventure. But now, Violet and the house had come to an understanding.

      More or less.

      Deep in the bowels of the house (which was substantially bigger on the inside) Lady Pennyworth was currently dealing with an infestation of sprites. In between banishing incantations, she shouted at the house. "I told you! To keep! The portal! Closed!" Each time she banished a sprite, its animating spirit fled, and its body turned into a messy blob of ectoplasm. Finally, she reached her breaking point. Closing her eyes, she began to chant in Enochian. As her voice rose in volume, an ethereal wind swept through the house, catching up the sprites and sucking them back toward the portal. Fell light shone from her eyes as they opened, and she forced out the final words of the incantation, forcing all the fey creatures back to their home realm.

      The light faded, and she glared at the now-closed dimensional portal. The house wasn't quite sentient, and it didn't really have anything like eyes for her to glare daggers at, so this would have to do. "This portal will remain closed until I say otherwise. I'm going to change, and when I come back I expect to see all this ectoplasm dealt with."
      My characters:
      [B][COLOR="#FF0000"][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/3705-Emerald-City-Freedom-League-(Selecting-PCs-soon)?p=143784&viewfull=1#post143784"]Spellweaver[/URL][/COLOR][/B], master mage in the Emerald League
      [B][COLOR="#DAA520"][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/3651-Freedom-League-Unlimited?p=149136#post149136"]Dauntless[/URL][/COLOR][/B], potential claimant to the legacy of Centurion
      [B][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/4164-Superhuman-Defense-Organisation-America-(Recruiting)?p=162527&viewfull=1#post162527"]Anna Century[/URL][/B], physics-defying speedster
      [B][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/5383-cosmic-DC-adventure-recruitment-thread-until-Sept-10?p=210525&viewfull=1#post210525"]Saavi Nayo[/URL][/B], the Innumerable Girl

      Comment


      • #4
        Dr Romanof

        The morning light was sweeping between the blinds of the kitchen in the two stories house of the Romanof family. Doctor Ivan Romanof was sipping coffee at the round central table, as he swept his fingers at the phone. Said phone was being held by a miniature robotic maid, who struggled to keep the device balanced after each swipe. On the screen was the latest issue of Scientific American, a journal Romanof usually made fun off as "American shenanigans" or "Useless junk". But today there was an actually interesting article. Not becuse the content was innovative or remotely interesting. A company named StarCorp that had bought space in the journal, and claimed it was "engineering cutting edge technologies into utilitarian purposes". Laughable. Apparently a rich boy who liked to play scientist. But what peeked the interest of the Romanof genius was a small sentence on the last paragraph, offering funding for outstanding projects in the technology area. Money, money speaks, and Ivan needed money desperately. It was not cheap to have a cutting edge laboratory! His small services to the community only took him so far, so the next step would be to set up a meeting with this Thomas guy, and see what he could get off of him. Relieving him of some dollars, so to speak.
        He moved to his supercomputer, and with a few code and scripting, he manage to get the guy's phone number (I get a technology 28 taking 10 so I guess I can get that info.) from the company server. Hacking internal emails was sooo easy. Ivan adjusted his spectacles to read the number again, as another of the robotic maids came flying with the phone. Tapping the numbers in, Ivan called Brian Thomas of StarCorp.
        [B][SIZE=3]心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ[/SIZE][/B]

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Runner Up One Shot, Freedom City (IC)

          Sarah Simon/Starlight

          Sarah was doing was she loved best on the typical hot summer day, shopping. She had been invited to the Morgan's in North Bay for dinner Friday evening. Having been raised with good manners, Sarah was picking up gifts for her hosts. A little research told her that Joshua P. Morgan was a connoisseur of rare scotches. Before leaving her apartment in Parkside she made several calls and located a dealer with a bottle of 26 year old Glenfiddich Excellence selling for only $400. Sarah arranged for it to be delivered to her place tomorrow morning.

          The lady of the house, Victoria, collected antiques and fine art. Her gift was proving to be more challenging. Yet, once again, the power of knowing people was proving advantageous. Sarah learned of a small, hard to find antique shop in Riverside. Her contacts told her about a rare spinning wheel from the mid 1700's for sale there.

          Sarah checked her numerous social media feeds in the back of the limo on the way. Earlier that day, while she was still sleeping, she received a message on her special phone to be prepared to come to work on short notice. It was an odd feeling having responsibility. Growing up she had been spoiled by her parents, though she didn't realize it at the time. After all, doesn't every kid get designer jewelry for their birthday?

          Sarah considered the events that led to hew newfound responsibilities. It all started with a photo shoot in Egypt. Then the weird dreams came and now, she was a part time superheroine, the last thing anyone who knew her would expect. In some ways it was thrilling. Meeting new people, having new experiences. The only drawback was not being able to post on social media about it all. Occasionally she posted about the others but only as an observer to a battle or as someone meeting them at a charity event or some such thing. They were an okay bunch, not that they couldn't use a bit more style in their outfits.

          Her phone ringing startled her. Glancing at the number, she smiled then answered the call.

          Hi sis! What's going on?"

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Runner Up One Shot, Freedom City (IC)


            Brian Thomas
            HP: 1 [LP:1] Condition: Lunch

            Brian shut off the monitor in his makeshift office. The warehouse renovations were proceeding on schedule. From the second floor observation window, the interior looked like someone had gutted the Doomsday Robot and strung it's fiber-optics and power cables across a field of ferrocrete flooring. Situation down in the Gulf doesn't look like its going to resolve itself ... We got your back at home guys. When the wrist-comp alerted him to a security issue with the company firewalls.

            Technology 30

            Looks like someone, hacked through the the Gatehouse like it didn't exist and made there way into the Barbican. A quick check indicated the invader wasn't up to anything malicious ... yet. I'll have to commend Daedelus for the Towers. The Towers were a more subtle cyber defense than any firewall. The Barbican shifted anyone infiltrating the outer walls to one of a dozen different false operational systems, this one mimicing the company's internal communications. This one's just playing with the system. I'll have to speak to IT on upgrading the Castle defenses ... Hmmmm, what's this ... ?

            It was then, his comm tone rang. A smile slipped on the retired Commander'd face. "Hello? Yes, this is Brian Thomas. Who is this?"
            Last edited by Star Guard; 12-02-2018, 03:48 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Runner Up One Shot, Freedom City (IC)

              Grace was meditating. Or at least trying to.

              Deep in the lair of the Scarab, still dusty from decades of neglect (God, she was going to have to dust it herself, too), Grace was trying to find her center, so she could try and explore the missing parts of her lives. Key word was trying. She still had flashes of pain and horror that left her gasping for air, and that wasn't exactly conductive to peacefully exploring your psyche. And Sophia wasn't the best of help either - everything she knew, she learned second-hand from her mother, not from Rhodes himself.

              Oh well. Inhale, hold, release. Let yourself go...

              Comment


              • #8
                Dr Romanof

                "Well if you are half of what you advertise, then you already know Mr Thomas, dah? My prodding was messy and quick, and I left the backdoors opened or bez raznitsy. Not a big internet hacking fan, I'm just to old for that. My name is Ivan Romanoff, I have some projects you might be interested in funding. Do you know that big ice cream shop near the docks? Mint icecream there is a stikh. Meet me there at 3pm, and I'll show you my ideas, noka!" speaks the Russian man in a jovial tone before hanging up the phone. He then readied his robots and his blueprints, puts on his hat, and steps out of the house, whistling as he makes his way to his favourite I've cream shop
                [B][SIZE=3]心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ[/SIZE][/B]

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Runner Up One Shot, Freedom City (IC)

                  Lady Pennyworth

                  The house seemed to calm down again. Toward mid-afternoon, disturbances again seemed to popup randomly in the house. But Violet notices that there are more disturbances in the library than in any other part of the house.

                  Starlight

                  "Are you coming to my appearance today? I'm going to be signing stuff at the Boathouse in Riverside Park around 2:30." Samantha said. "Shelb bailed on me. I was hoping you were available. You do meet and greets better then I do."

                  Romanof and StarGuard

                  (OOC: I leave you two to describe what happens when you meet at the ice cream store. What docks is it near? Riverside? Waterfront? Boardwalk?)

                  Scarab

                  As she finally reaches a meditative state, she is awoken by a stabbing pain. It's not a pain she's feeling. It's a pain somewhere to east. Perhaps on the other side of the city center.

                  Paradigm

                  (OOC: I suppose she's sleeping in, today. Please post, melonLord.)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Runner Up One Shot, Freedom City (IC)

                    Sarah Simon/Starlight

                    Sarah glanced at the time and did a quick mental calculation.

                    "Sure thing sis. I'd be happy to help out. Just doing a bit of shopping for the Morgans for their dinner party. Need to bring gifts for the hosts and all that."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Runner Up One Shot, Freedom City (IC)

                      After cleaning herself (with a cantrip), Violet was finally able to get some work done, investigating the wards that protected this dimension from those forces that would threaten it. Truth be told, her predecessors as Master Mage had done an excellent job; despite the fact that the world had been without a mystic defender for some years, the wards were still largely intact.

                      But then the troubles started again.

                      With a sigh, Violet teleported to the library, which seemed to be the center of the chaos. "By the eight eyes of Ios!" she said, her voice echoing curiously, as she invoked her magic and scanned the library using her supernatural senses.
                      My characters:
                      [B][COLOR="#FF0000"][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/3705-Emerald-City-Freedom-League-(Selecting-PCs-soon)?p=143784&viewfull=1#post143784"]Spellweaver[/URL][/COLOR][/B], master mage in the Emerald League
                      [B][COLOR="#DAA520"][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/3651-Freedom-League-Unlimited?p=149136#post149136"]Dauntless[/URL][/COLOR][/B], potential claimant to the legacy of Centurion
                      [B][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/4164-Superhuman-Defense-Organisation-America-(Recruiting)?p=162527&viewfull=1#post162527"]Anna Century[/URL][/B], physics-defying speedster
                      [B][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/5383-cosmic-DC-adventure-recruitment-thread-until-Sept-10?p=210525&viewfull=1#post210525"]Saavi Nayo[/URL][/B], the Innumerable Girl

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Runner Up One Shot, Freedom City (IC)

                        Grace sighs, and changes into her official Scarab outfit, then leaves her lair through one of the secret exits. She flies through the city, trying to determine the exact cause of her psychic impression.

                        Perception: 1D20 + 0 = [17]+0 = 17
                        Investigation: 1D20 + 6 = [12]+6 = 18

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Runner Up One Shot, Freedom City (IC)

                          Paradigm

                          Status: In need of coffee
                          HP: 1

                          "mmnnnhhhh....hrrmph?"

                          Janice's eyes blearily blinked open, opening just a crack before instinctively shutting again, cutting off the harsh, stabbling needles of morning light streaming through the blinds of her kitchen window.

                          Kitchen?

                          She forced her eyes open again and peeled her cheek off the flat, cold surface it seemed to be pressed against, surveying the cornucopia of diagrams and loose parts scattered around the half-disassembled helmet in the middle of her table. She happened to glimpse the time on the Freedom League communicator lying near her elbow, glaring at her coldly from its position right above the insistent, winking message telling her to be on alert today, and several things suddenly snapped into place. She must have fallen asleep while she was working last night. Again. If the little set of numbers on her phone's screen could cross its arms and tap its foot disapprovingly, it probably would.

                          Janice got up from her seat, stretched, and closed the blinds, blocking out the harsh [apparently afternoon] light, her mind's gears turning as she poured out the mug of cold coffee that had been sitting next to her and attempted [with minimal success] to put together a plan for the day. Before anything else, she seriously needed to get some caffeine in her system. Thank God she wasn't needed in the lab today.

                          Janice was quite emphatically *not* a morning person [especially when that morning was actually around noon], which is why she generally tried to get through hers as quickly as possible. 2 cups of coffee, a bagel, a Scientific American article and a 5-minute shower later, she was back at the table, her mind whizzing back into gear as she picked up where she left off last night. Hopefully the upgraded sensor array would give her suit some much-needed utility; as versatile as they were, the abilities of her...counterparts couldn't cover everything. Just a few tweaks here, some adjustment there, or was that too much voltage...?

                          [Sorry for the late reply!]
                          Last edited by melonLord; 12-04-2018, 05:42 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Runner Up One Shot, Freedom City (IC)

                            Pennyworth

                            A book insists on staying in a particular spot in the round library. The floor is decorated as a compass rose and book is sitting squarely on 15 degrees west north west. As you are about to pick that book up, about a dozen books fling themselves to 55 degrees north north east. The ground does rattle a bit but you aren't sure what might have caused this from within the mansion. Your Freedom League communication device is beeping. You probably have left it in another room.

                            Starlight

                            The crowd is a little light. You might tease Samantha about that later. From out of nowhere a loud reverberating thud sounds from somewhere north of you. With the music playing you wouldn't have noticed it except that the ground also shook. Sam's guard detail have their hands on their concealed firearms and one of them suggests you might want to cut the meet and greet short. As he says this, sounds of more destruction can be heard to the north, as well as a scream or two that just barely carries to where you are. As you are noticing this, you phone indicates a Freedom League alert is coming in. You are still surrounded by fans and your sister.

                            Scarab

                            Grace is looking around thinking something to the east is not right. She slowly flies to the east. More anguish tells her it is somewhere by the docks and she hurries that way. Your phone beep a special tone for a Freedom League text.

                            Romanof and Starguard

                            As your meeting continues, your phones both ring a special ring tone indicating you are receiving a text from the Freedom League network.

                            Paradigm

                            You spend a lazy morning doing more work on your project. By mid afternoon you are ready for your fourth cup of coffee when you receive an alert on your primitive Freedom League communication device.

                            Everyone

                            The text reads: "Priority One Disturbance at Midnight's Edge in Riverside. Caution advised."

                            Scarab is enroute, flying near City Center, about 1 mile from the nightclub. Romanof and Starguard might consider taking the monorail as they are over two miles away. Starlight is about half a mile due south of the Midnight's Edge. But she is surrounded by fans. Pennyworth is about 400 feet away but is less aware of what's going on. Paradigm can get there in one or two 1 mile leaps depending on where her apartment is located.

                            Everyone starts with one Hero Point, as usual.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Runner Up One Shot, Freedom City (IC)

                              Starlight

                              Sarah heard and felt the disturbance. Looking around, Samantha's bodyguards had noticed it as well. Some of the gathered fans were looking about, no doubt trying to figure out what was going on. Other fans were either ignoring the noise or were oblivious to it. There were too many witnesses around to change and very little privacy either.

                              Sarah found a microphone and made an announcement.

                              "Hi! Can I have everybody's attention please. I know you all came out to see Samantha today because you wanted to meet her and have your picture taken with her. I really hate to do this but it sounds like there's a battle or something heading this way. While Samantha and I are always happy to meet our fans, our first concern us your safety. It would really, really upset us if any of you got hurt so if everyone could please get someplace safe away from here, it would make us both happy. I promise we'll make it up to you soon. We'll schedule another meet and greet as soon as we can. Now, I can't promise anything but if everyone just gets someplace safe, we'll try to get the rest of the family to come."

                              Persuasion check: 1d20+10: 13 [1d20=3] http://orokos.com/roll/682509

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X