(Interest Check) Worm game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Interest Check) Worm game

So, I've been reading a lot of Worm fanfic (I find the original story a bit too depressing after a point) and I find myself considering trying to run a game sometime in 2019. The basic setting is that superpowers have been present for decades. All powers have the same (unknown to most) source. There's no magic (although not everyone believes that), and Super-Science is generally not easily replicable, although there are exceptions. The big twist is that powers generally result after trauma, the worst day of your life, which means villains outnumber the heroes, necessitating a fair amount of compromise where certain "unwritten rules" are followed involving the sanctity of secret identities, tolerance of criminal activities that don't involve mass murder (and there are those like the Slaughterhouse 9 that are powerful enough that they flaunt the kill orders in place against them). There are also city-destroying monsters called Endbringers that are such a severe threat that there's amnesty for any villain who fights them.

The other question is whether to be heroes or villains (since non-murderous villains get latitude, gangs can do things like bank heists, knowing it won't result in the big guns getting pulled).

Anyhow, I don't think I'd do this until 2019, but I figured I'd poll whether people might be interested.
    [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
    [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Re: (Interest Check) Worm game

I've seen the setting once or twice before, but I never actually read into it any deeper then surface level. But, it seems an interesting enough concept.
    I'm obviously a doctor of literature.

Comment

Would definitely be interested, the Wormverse is one of my favorite superhero settings.

Comment

Sounds like a setting full of new angles to explore

Comment

Someone recommended this fic to me a while back, but I didn't really have the time to get around to reading through what seemed like a pretty lengthy investment. Based on your summary though, I may need to find some time because that sounds really interesting. I would be down for such a setting. Been a while since I've seen a real villains game (the closest being T-man's Suicide Squad-esque game on the other board), but I'd be down for fighting on either side of the line.

EDIT: How much of the setting/reading do you reckon would be "required" to have a good understanding of the setting for making characters?
          Last edited by EpicEclipse; 11-22-2018, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Seems interesting. Depending on my schedule next year I would most likely put in for the game.
            [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/46-mrdents-menagerie-of-characters]My characters past and present[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by EpicEclipse View Post
              EDIT: How much of the setting/reading do you reckon would be "required" to have a good understanding of the setting for making characters?
              Not a great deal. Powers started showing up in 1983, a year after Scion (goldskinned, extremely powerful, often shows up to deal with disasters, but seeingly randomly). Most powers trigger on a "worst day" scenario, although the children of parahumans require less to trigger ("fouled in a soccer game" vs "stuffed into a locker full of waste from the tampon bins"), and there are the mysterious "Case 53s" who are almost uniformly inhuman or deformed, and suffer amnesia prior to showing up in a city, branded with what might be a stylized C or U. Other than Case 53s, parahumans (or "Capes") tend to look entirely human, although some can transform into less human forms. Most powers are very narrow in scope. You can generate darkness, or talk to bugs, or manipulate steel remotely, but that's it. There are "grabbag" Capes with multiple powers, but they generally have those powers at a lower level.

For various reasons, the United States operates under Unwritten Rules, as quoted from the wiki:
              - Respect the secret identities of fellow parahumans. Private lives are a needed outlet and taking that away is asking for trouble.
              - No attacking the civilian family members of parahumans.
              - No violence or using powers during a meeting between multiple parties.
              - Try not to use lethal force.
              - No widespread attacks against civilians.
              - Enslaving others with mind control is not permitted.
              - No rape or sexual assault of any kind.
              - Don't use guns. If you absolutely have to carry a gun be careful using them. They lead to escalation and death.
              -- Stick to less "lethal" archaic weaponry, swords crossbows shields, things that work with powers.

A subset of rules are applied in areas currently under attack by Endbringers, and other S-Class threats.
              - No attacking people who volunteer, irrespective of grudges.
              - No taking advantage of an attack for personal gain or to advance your faction.
              - No setting up others to die.
              - Medical care is provided without discrimination for past deeds.

If anyone breaks the rules, all willing parahumans work together to effect punitive action. Repeated and flagrant breaking the rules could be grounds to be sent to the Birdcage or for receiving a kill order.

[url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

- Enslaving others with mind control is not permitted.
                Oof, automatic villian designation for psychics of that caliber eh? Reminds me of the kid from MHA.

Hrm... Now though, I actually wanna take that thought and run with it. Do something through a bit of creative mind control that you might not actually expect.

Comment

Cool, that seems really straightforward.

I like the relative constraints of powers being narrowly focused for the most part.

Comment

Most powers are very narrow in scope. You can generate darkness, or talk to bugs, or manipulate steel remotely, but that's it. There are "grabbag" Capes with multiple powers, but they generally have those powers at a lower level.
                    I like this part of it. I think it would require a house rule of automatically adjusting PP down for PL say 10 or 12 per PL as opposed to 15. Really force you to pick your powers carefully and dive into the discriptor

Comment

It's not even that the characters were lower powered, it's that except in unusual cases the powers were very narrowly focused on a single theme or descriptor.

One of my favorite powersets from the serial was Aegis, a mover/brute. Discounting his Flight, his ability was biological adaptability. He had so many biological redundencies he wasn't able to be killed other than massive body wide systemic trauma. Shoot him in the heart and another organ would take over until his heart repaired itself. Remove his eyes his skin would develop the ability to adjust to light and transmit that information to his brain via his nervous system.

He didn't have superstrength per se, but his body could be constantly flooded with adrenalin, and he was impervious yo pain, so he could throw punches that would mangle his hand, tear muscle and ligaments and he'd just keep going.

Mechanically that's some significant immunities, including critical hits, fatigue and pain, high levels of Regen, some Impervious Toughness to represent instant healing, and enhanced Strength, Toughness.

However it's one of the most unique powerhouse type abilities I've seen, and I really enjoyed that take on a fairly common power set.

Weaver Dice is a rough homebrew game system that emulates the Worm-verse power classifications and triggers for those interested in it.

Comment

Wow. The Worm story opened up entirely new concepts for superhero stories for me; it should make a great backdrop with a lot of drama.

This is definitely the sort of thing I'd be interested in, although I doubt I'll be able to play even in early 2019. Still, I'm quite eager to see what sorts of powers and stories come about out of this.
                        My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Mr-Smooth)?p=68608&viewfull=1#post68608]here[/url]. And, here's the latest version of [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Edge)?p=256421&viewfull=1#post256421]The Cast[/url].
                        Currently playing in: [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/6868-Xenoforce-Earth-s-Strangest-Heroes-Recruiting-2-more-players][color=#d7af50]Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes[/color][/url].

Comment

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this. I am actually kind of interested in running this. I'm not certain of how to mechanically implement the system, but I do like the setting.

Do people have preference between keeping it somewhat in canon (giving me a ready supply of characters from the story/wiki) versus setting it somewhere else?

Comment

Funnily, I was just working the other day on that one idea I had mentioned. Somehow I found my way to the Work wikia while doing so. Really should've spent time reading through the series instead...

Ahem; I've grown a bit more familiar with the setting, bit most of it is still beyond me. Overall up to you, but I'm fine with learning more.

Comment

I would be ok with canon so long as you dont mind my ignorance of the setting and ramping as needed.
                              [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/46-mrdents-menagerie-of-characters]My characters past and present[/url]

Comment

Working...
                              X