Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vigilantes - Issue #1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [3e IC] Vigilantes - Issue #1

    February 7th

    Cold with a light snow falling from the sky with about six inches on the ground where it hasn't been shoveled, plowed, salted or compacted down by people making their daily communtes, it seemed a day like any other in the Seattle downtown core.

    Crime has been a little on the sparce side lately, like all the big shots are hibernating for the winter, waiting for the heralding of spring and warmer weather, though that doesn't mean all crime is on ice. There are always the foolish and desperate criminals that try their hand, hoping they might slip by unnoticed, but the city has its defenders; both the celebrity and the unsung.

    Seattle's premier celebrity hero, or Suit dog as some might consider him, is an apex known as 'Tidal'. Reasonably popular guy with power over water molecules, able to alter water's state freely from gas, liquid and solid as well as move it about at least as good as any hydrokineticist with his salt, and he's no slouch considering his standing as the premier hero of a major city. From the vigilante view of things though, Tidal is loyal. In it for the money and the fame. He is a good hero, always gives it his all, but only when the Suits signing his paycheck say jump.

    The city does have several minor heros on the payroll that fill in the gaps for things considered too minor for Tidal to spend his effort on, the kinds of things one doesn't make headline news for. And then there are the vigilantes. The unsung heroes in any city they operate in that work freelance on their own initiative, listening to police scanners, reacting to crimes they see personally, or following up on leads of injustice from whatever contacts they can safely muster.

    For one reason or another, that is why you are all in the area a few blocks away from one of the city's icons, the Space Needle; following up on a tip that a local gang was going to be pulling something in the area. The tip was unfortunately vague on everything but the time, and the gang in question, a group lead by a Tech gangster called "Hook" on account of his right arm having a technological fusion just below the elbow with a large hook that is known to be able to be shot off, connected by a long length of cable. The man is known to be more shrewd than his brutish appearance would suggest, but he still prefers to command with intimidation, more to cause people to underestimate him.

    Hook's gang are known to sport a hook tattoo on their right hands as proof of membership, and that is presently what you are on the lookout for, any sign of Hook or his crew, or any clue as to what he plans to do in the downtown core. Plenty of shops, banks, even the Space Needle itself.

    The above information is based on routine checks of openly available stuff. The tip was sort of short notice, and the time of the job vague, so you had to get into position to act on it, though now that you are, you have some breathing room to try and figure things out.

    Go ahead and make some intros and let me know what you'd like to do dice-wise or if you have questions.

  • #2
    Re: Vigilantes - Issue #1

    Jessica is spending the morning where she might be, anyway: in a coffee shop near the Space Needle, trying to get assignments done. She has papers spread on the table before her and a tome in a crackling plastic slipcover: Untold Stories of the American Frontier. Her paper is a thesis on the less romanticized stories of the "Wild" West—rather ironic, considering her alter ego. With her elbow on the table, hand propping up her head as she yawns and thumbs through the pages, Jess lazily sips at her coffee. Mmm. Coffee. That was something they'd enjoyed in the Wild West, too, though her pumpkin/white chocolate espresso was far removed from the heady brew cooking in a beat-up old pot on the fire.

    Jess keeps glancing out the windows, at the other patrons (though she hardly expects trouble in such a mild establishment), but keeping an eye on the streets outside. Still, she can't help but look at the hands of those paying for their coffees, just to be sure.

    A husky voice enters her mind, almost unbidden, from her alter ego: Outlaws don't always look like outlaws. If it was that easy, we'd have been out of business a long time ago!

    Just keeping an eye out. If you need to do any Perception rolls, I'm at +10.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Vigilantes - Issue #1

      Dataminer

      Status: Normal
      -Rommie: Integrated
      HP: 1
      ----------

      Pressed against the wall of a coffee shop's alley, an old world-weary man stared blankly ahead of him. The sign held in his hands announced his status as an old war veteran looking for money to help him get himself cleaned for a job interview. A mere prop, part of the whole act the real man behind the mask was putting on. Julien had been waiting at this location for a few hours now, the info he had dredged up on the net having not been entirely specific on just when that attack was supposed to take place. Already he was starting to miss the warm space provided to him by the traditionalist Damien, having left under the cover of darkness that morning without warning.

      A few minutes earlier he had cast a spell linking him to the local security grid, images and sounds fled across his mind's eye in rapid succession forming an muddled portrait of the surrounding city. Rommie, his tag-along, was doing her best to help mitigate the effects by speeding up his mental processing power. It would only help for so long before he'd need to take another break to stave off the growing headache.

      'Dammit... just where are you trying to hit, captain hook? Where's Peter pan when you need him...' He spoke internally.

      'Give it time. We're not in this game for the quick and easy payout.'

      The old man's visage frowned in response, but he knew she was right. Normal heroes wouldn't camp out in the same area for hours on end on some vague tip. No, they'd wait until after the sirens were going before they'd come in to 'save the day'. Showboating idiots.

      Using Surveillance Grid to peek in on the area's security cameras. If you need to me to roll; 23
      Last edited by Doctor Malsyn; 11-11-2018, 06:35 PM.
      I'm obviously a doctor of literature.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Vigilantes - Issue #1

        Kala the Barbarian
        HP: 1 | Condition: Ready


        Most people would balk at the idea of going out to do anything in weather and temperatures like these, but to Chloe's character it was just like home. Even Chloe herself wasn't concerned about the cold thanks to her choice of costume. Had she chosen to roleplay a mage like Lee or a priest like Sandra, she would be feeling much colder right now.

        Ideally, Chloe would have had time to do some reconnaissance, but with the tip being so short notice, she had no choice but to go to the location in costume. This got her many an odd look, but hardly anyone stopped her to ask what she was doing. Those who did got a spiel about how Kala was looking for the lost members of her clan who had all been kidnapped by frost giants. They quickly decided that they didn't want to bother her any more.

        Ordinary civilians were one thing, but Chloe knew that if the gang members she was looking for were to see her in such a distinctive outfit, they would be much more wary than normal. She would need to find somewhere to hide. Somewhere that still offered a decent view of the area.

        Originally posted by OOC stuff
        It's getting late now so that'll have to do for a first post. Let me know if you need me to roll anything for this.
        It's Onion Bubs, not Onion Bulbs. Noel, Noel, my name has no l.
        I create characters and put them here when I can be bothered.

        Currently playing:

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Vigilantes - Issue #1

          Damien Throne
          HP: 1
          CND: Fine


          The dead don't care if you are driving. While not the best pay, Damien, under either his legal name Robert or assumed name James depending on the day, drove for Uber sometimes. He didn't even own a car, but he could rent one cheap enough for a few days of quick cash. Being free of rent and big bills made it easy to make ends meet. Ghosts, however complicated things. One such type of entity decided to popup as he was getting off the 5 on a day where the drivers were particularly absent minded. Luckily, he had his bluetooth earpiece in, turned off. As far as his passenger knew, he was talking about a meet up sometime at the space needle with one of his mates and that he would let others know. The ghost left, but Damien finished it up with maybe getting some coffee.

          After dropping off his passenger, he dialed the others on a burner phone to let them know before heading into his fathers old lair for a quick snack. If he was going to have to fight a guy with a hook, he needed some doritos at least. Paul, the spirit who usually did the cooking, was whipping up a tomato soup bisque with a side of garlic bread that by virtue of not being able to taste overdid it on the seasoning and garlic almost every time. Still, Damien would eat it out of courtesy. For now though, he snacked on some chips.

          Julian was already out it seemed, so Damien grabbed a hooded jean jacket and some sunglasses that weren't too big. His costume could be summoned at any time, but seeing someone who looked like death walking around the area wasn't the sort of thing he wanted people to see until he had to do it. So slacks, basic Pearl Jam shirt, hooded jean jacket, and sunglasses had to do. Upon arrival, he grabbed a cup of coffee to go and sat down on a bench outside near a dark corner next to a rather sad looking woman with a slit throat. Pretending to dial a number on his phone, he struck up a conversation about the weather, those Yankees, the Seahawks, and how bad coffee was everywhere else to lift her spirits metaphorically speaking. She was already a floating spirit after all. All the while, he kept an eye out for the tatoo.



          OOC
          Perception 29
          [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/46-mrdents-menagerie-of-characters]My characters past and present[/url]

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Vigilantes - Issue #1

            There was a rap on his office door. His assistant said, "James, don't forget you are meeting Laura at the Needle in ten minutes. I have no idea how you are going to make it there in time."

            "Damn, I don't know what I'd do without you, Gina." James Parnel said as he grabbed his coat and put it on as he hurried out of the office. As soon as the door closed behind him he was in an alley behind the Whole Foods on Denny Ave. The great thing about winter was being able to wear his body suit under normal clothes without anyone noticing them. And outdoors, his gloves were not only perfectly normal but quite expected.

            The door opened and Gina called out, "Tell Laura I said..." but the hallway was empty. "Hi."

            A few hops later and Space Needle Park was in sight. His phone rang. It was Laura. "I'm almost to the Needle now, Dear." The wind picked up and he had trouble hearing her. If only he had his HUD on. "What? One sec. Let me duck into an alley." As he stepped into the alley he noticed an old homeless man sitting there. There was a beep from his HUD mask in his pocket that he could not check at the moment. Out of the wind, he said, "That's better. What did you say?" As he spoke he pulled a few bucks from his wallet. "The hospital? Which hospital? Are you all right?" He quickly jabbed the money into the old man's tin cup and managed to say, "Stay warm, Buddy," before y. ning 'll be right there," were the last words the old man heard as he teleported away.
            Last edited by jmucchiello; 11-12-2018, 06:09 AM. Reason: Space Needle Park was in sight, as opposed to the Needle itself, probably visible for miles.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Vigilantes - Issue #1


              Starlight
              [Claire Sanders]
              HP: 1 [LP:1] Condition: Shifted (Invisible)

              3:52 pm

              One hundred and twenty seven tons of revolving glass held aloft by technologies that weren't dreamed of when the Needle was built in 1962. Sounds like the perfect target for a guy who made his name as a tech gangster. The ice and freezing wing whipped about Starlight as she held her position just above the Needle. The purple glasses and hair a nod to her favorite registered Hero, Claire zipper up the leather jacket and to hide the UW tee shirt she wore beneath. "Shifted" so no one could see her, she waited . . . . and waited. The smell of coffee coming from the Atmos cafe was worse than anything the weather could throw at her. Wish I knew where the others were ... or where or when this guy's gang was suppose to be doing whatever it is he's suppose to be doing. Waiting sucks and I have an Astronomy paper due in two days.

              What worried Claire the most was this Hook guy would threaten to shatter all the new glass work on the Needle. The people in and below the structure wouldn't have a chance. There just wasn't anything she or the others could do to stop that much shattered glass from killing dozens ... unless Damien or DM had a some trick up their sleeves. Both of them kind of gave her the willies but they'd help keep her off the Suits grid so far and she was thankful for that. One of these days we're going to feel free to come out without feeling like we're being used or targeted by the Suits .... like Tidal, or Purple Reign ... I just hope we don't all end up in jail or worse first. Looking at the burner phone again Dataminer had set for her . . .

              3:57 pm

              Waiting sucks.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Vigilantes - Issue #1

                GM

                The area in question where the job is supposed to be going down is a few blocks in size, so it's all the better you five are largely split up and looking around separately, unfortunately, it's not going so well. No hook tattoos, no conspicuous groups of people moving around, no large hook-armed men.... Julien notices the Space Needle is a little busy for a Thursday. With the weather, looking for the hook tattoos is an effort in futility...nearly everyone is wearing gloves.

                Chloe mainly gets younger kids curious about her outfit and seem to like the little story she weaves for her presence. The adults are more dismissive, expecting it's some kind of gimmick promotion or something and try to keep their kids herded away. She does spot a few rougher sorts in a group of six men, figuratively anywyas, probably hardly out of their teens, that seem to be giving her a nasty look but are quick to look away and go along their way when she notices them looking.

                The others don't notice anything in particular from their cafes or vantage from over the Space Needle. Claire's vantage point, unfortunately, doesn't afford her much in the way of detail to things happening on street level, though it does let her respond quickly to wherever the Hook gang ends up striking.

                Julien spots it first when several men following up the rear of the latest crowd entering the Space Needle. From the view of the security cameras, he sees the various entry points covered by no less than two men who all take off one glove and pull out firearms, pointing inward towards other patrons. No sign of Hook though... Julien can't make out sound from the CCTV feed, but based on what he can see, the gunmen are shouting at the other patrons.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Vigilantes - Issue #1

                  Dataminer

                  Status: Normal
                  -Rommie: Integrated
                  HP: 1
                  ----------

                  'There they are.'

                  His hologram flickered, quickly loosing color and form to reveal the leather clad form of Julien. The sign was tossed asside towards the alley's back end, exactly where he'd found it when he got here. In that same move he took out his phone, and sent out a simple priority mass message to the only people in his contacts.

                  "SPACE NEEDLE. GUNMEN."

                  After hitting send, he snapped the old fliphone back closed and held it firmly in his hand. At least one of the civilians in that crowd was bound to have a phone, so he targeted somewhere in the middle of the no doubt increasingly panicked crowd. That would offer him the best vantage point while being unnoticed by the gang of criminals.

                  Mentally, a million lines of code were written out as he twisted his hands in the complex rhythm he devised for this particular spell. Parts or his body started to shift in color and form much like his hologram did, and soon his entire body had stsrted to spiral into the phone he held. Once there wss no hand to hold it aloft, it fell down onto of some old clothes.

                  Sending out the message to the group, dropping hologram in order to cast Data-Ride and port into the needle's crowd. Survalince Grid is still active, though he's focusing it only on the needle right now.
                  I'm obviously a doctor of literature.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Vigilantes - Issue #1


                    Jessica • HP 1
                    Status • -

                    Jessica picks up her phone as soon as the text ringtone sounds off, the notification taken from a certain adventure game series when the hero finds great treasure. She scans the text, then hurriedly stuffs her book and papers in her backpack. Slipping out the front and then around into the alley besides the coffee shop, Jess quickly punches in a reply: DUSK OTW. The Space Needle. I should have figured. That's just a short ride away!

                    She lets her hand sink back down slowly—now covered in a thick, well-worn glove. Her now-blond locks stir in the breeze as she steps outside, and she tipped her hat against the sunlight. Dusk glanced down at the phone that she slipped into her pocket.


                    Dusk • HP 1

                    "I miss th' days of smoke signals, or telegrams," she says, a slight accent creeping into her husky voice. "These things just feel so unnatural. Ain't right to carry voices in a pocket watch like that."

                    As she whistles loudly, a tumbleweed blows past the alley entrance. Streamers of starry night coalesce around her and she hops onto the horse they manifest: Night Sky, her faithful steed. The horse needs no spur and no direction; it knows which way the tumbleweed blows, and which way the danger lies. Ever ahead, never behind, for the trail is Dusk's to find! Night Sky bounds out of the alley, surprising commuters on the other side as cowgirl and steed thunder down the roadway.

                    Heading there at all possible haste! If there's a shorter, more direct route over water or even up the side of a building and then leaping from rooftop to rooftop, I can do that, too!
                    Last edited by Lara Croft; 11-12-2018, 03:03 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Vigilantes - Issue #1

                      Kala the Barbarian
                      HP: 1 | Condition: En route


                      Before Chloe could find a good place to hide, she was interrupted by a twinkling sound coming from her phone (or "magic talking stone" as Kala would call it). She read the message from Julien. The Space Needle was such an obvious target Chloe was half expecting the real crime scene to be a more low-key place nearby, but it looked like this gang had gone for the obvious target. She entered a reply to Julien's message in her phone: KALA IS COMING!

                      Once her message had gone through, Chloe ran towards the Space Needle, taking the most direct route possible. At one point she could see Dusk out of the corner of her eye but she was so focused on reaching her destination as quickly as possible, as well as what she would do once she got there, that she didn't acknowledge her. Chloe's tactics would be simple: scare the bejeezus out of as many of these gunmen as she could, and the rest could get acquainted with the business end of her spear. The only thing she'd need to decide was what would be the best way of scaring them.
                      It's Onion Bubs, not Onion Bulbs. Noel, Noel, my name has no l.
                      I create characters and put them here when I can be bothered.

                      Currently playing:

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Vigilantes - Issue #1

                        Damien Throne
                        HP: 1
                        CND: Fine


                        "Alexa, text Kat I am on my way.", said Damian into his headset triggering a voice command on his phone to send a message he is incoming. He was under no illusions that in costume he could be inconspicuous or sneak around in public. A LARPer could be passed off as just some person. When changed, he became the physical appearance of his dark energies that kept begging him to be let out with the seduction of power. Time was of the essence, so there was no time to meditate on the cost to his soul. Other souls were in danger.

                        Walking briskly into a dark corner, he softly chants "damnatio mutatio, arma vocatis infernalis" once out of everyones sight in the dark shadows. His body is consumed with a black fog that rises from the floor and settles back into the ground as quickly as it rose. Standing in the place is no longer Damien. Someone who looks older with grey skin swirling with a dark purple energy and yielding a curvy scythe is left standing in the place where a normal looking bloke used to be. Looking up to the sky, he ascends in a place to make it look like it wasn't in the path he took if any cameras were watching.

                        As predicted, on lookers were aghast. Some pulled out camera phones to get a picture of the vigilante who never gave a name while others ran in fright at the dark wizard like appearance. Most tried to not pay attention as best they could though. None of this mattered to Damien. Eyeing the cowgirl, he shifted his flight path to swoop by and offer her a hand to expedite her trip to the needle plus help her get into position. He has other plans. The gunmen were to dangerous to be left focused on their assignments. He would need to be the distraction.



                        OOC
                        Using free action costume change and enabling the dark protection. As I go along, I'll fill in the chants for the various spells.
                        Last edited by mrdent12; 11-13-2018, 12:07 AM.
                        [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/46-mrdents-menagerie-of-characters]My characters past and present[/url]

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Vigilantes - Issue #1


                          Starlight
                          [Claire Sanders]
                          HP: 1 [LP:1] Condition: Shifted (Invisible)

                          The others don't notice anything in particular from their cafes or vantage from over the Space Needle. Claire's vantage point, unfortunately, doesn't afford her much in the way of detail to things happening on street level, though it does let her respond quickly to wherever the Hook gang ends up striking.
                          From the Bluetooth in her ear Starlight hears. "SPACE NEEDLE. GUNMEN"

                          Twirling in the air Claire saw nothing in the air above the Needle, shrugging hoping that the others could see where Hook's men actually were. Gliding down around and under the observation deck in a spin opposite that of the Needle's own, hidden her shifted form hiding her from sight. More comfortable playing the role of cannon instead of scalpel
                          ... her thoughts disgruntled but a smile on her face as she continues her spiral downward her hand absently feeling under her still lightly bruised ribs. Okay so yeah maybe DM's right. I kind of didn't help much last time, busting through the bank windows like that.

                          Toward the bottom she sees several men at the rear of the crowd inside the Space Needle. The entry points covered by no less than two men who all take off one glove and pull out firearms, pointing inward towards other patrons. No sign of Hook though ... Whispering into her Bluetooth. " Uh ... Starlight in position. There's a lot of them though ... I could try and flash them."

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Vigilantes - Issue #1


                            Dusk • HP 1
                            Status • -

                            Spotting Damien overhead, Dusk executes a maneuver they have practiced a little in the past. "Alley-oop!" she shouts, leaping from Night Sky into the air. IN midair she clasps Damien's outstretched hands and swings through the air like a soaring eagle. "Head for the vents! Let's sneak up on 'em!"

                            Something like that?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Vigilantes - Issue #1

                              Dusk suddenly riding out of the alleyway on a horse made of night sky gets quite a reaction, some startled, some cheers, but mostly just people getting out of the way to avoid being trampled.

                              With the vigilantes all converging on the Needle, the gunmen don't appear to have noticed, so the tea has the element of surprise. There are vents along the central column of the Needle for letting air into the long stairwell as well as at the top for venting heat from the elevator machinery. The skyline level, about 100 meters from the ground where the meetings and banquets tends to be set up, could also be a reasonable point of ingress to come in fromt above. The lobby, however, is glass on all sides of the main entryways with only just enough landscaping to try for a stealthy approach to the doors.

                              Since everyone is in position, go ahead and make initiative rolls and make your single action for the surprise round.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X