Announcement

Collapse

New Server

RoninArmy.com now lives on a new server! Due to a communication mixup with our hosting company, some posts made around November 3, 2019 might have been overwritten. We apologize for the inconvenience. If anything seems off or doesn't work any more (or if anything works better now), we'd like to hear about it. Thanks!
See more
See less

Vigilantes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Vigilantes (Recruiting. Closed to new interest. Submission deadline Nov 9th)

Julien as I've said before is finished, but I'll keep an eye out over the next week in case someone has a suggestion otherwise.
    I'm obviously a doctor of literature.

Comment

• Re: Vigilantes (Recruiting. Closed to new interest. Submission deadline Nov 9th)

Starlight's just need about two more short paragraphs to finish her background. I tried to keep it simple but with her Alternate Identity being her non-Apex sister's I leave others to judge how well I pulled it off. I have decided to start her as a college freshman rather than still in high school. Should still make he pretty young for this group.

... and that makes me realize I probably need to by Benefit: Dual Citizenship to go with the Alternate Identity storyline

Comment

Apologies for a delayed response. I have the initial sheet done for bladestorm. However I have been having some issues with the site. I'm also thinking of changing her archetype a little bit towards a weapon master/brawler. (Apparently I have a thing for swordsmen and women.)
        Current Games

Jason Anderson (Telekinetic Storm): Infinite New Vindicators
        Alexandria Downes (Seraph): Operation Phoenix

Comment

Originally posted by Nareik123 View Post
          I'm also thinking of changing her archetype a little bit towards a weapon master/brawler. (Apparently I have a thing for swordsmen and women.)
          That thing, sir, is called "good taste."

Comment

True words.

Comment

For anyone who isn't completely done, I don't need a 100% background, cliff notes is enough for me to work with as far as considering a team and any issues with build that needs addressing can be done after. Mainly just need an idea of where the character came from to being a vigilante, and the build should be complete enough to give me a good idea of their general strategy.

I am probably going to go for a 5 person team

Comment

I'm in the middle of considering making Blink more of a gadgeteer. His Apex gene is teleportation, his hidden genes remain Intellect and Regen. But I'm thinking about turning the martial arts into fancy gloves and giving him advanced body armor like his full face mask and making his tech specialty fabric manipulation. Micro-circuitry in the mask gives him a HUD, special fibers puts Protection 3 into his catsuit along with some environmental protections for heat, cold, and rads. And then gloves that look like cloth but hit like a mule.

LOL, I thought a domino mask was a full face mask, not a robin style mask. I was thinking Deathstroke's mask or Terminator. No wonder you didn't understand how it could have a rebreather in it. Guessin' I learnt sump'in.

Comment

You could even take it a different step, maybe have his "active" gene instead be his enhanced regenerative abilities. That may've actually made him an ideal test subject for his mother to have successfully completed her experiments. The hidden gene could've been a strand of Hyper-Intelligence, perhaps she was trying to sneak out the gene into the more general public or... Well, I'm sure you could come up with an interesting thing. The teleportation might simply be a "Blink-device" he created and is part of the suit.

Comment

Another thought.. attempts to fabricate artificial apex genes is a reasonable assumption in a society like this.

Blinks background would make for a great explanation for how a hyper-intellect wasn't scooped by the Suits. With his hyper-intellect being a "ghost gene" on top of that.

Comment

I need to add some info to the background on how/why they became a vigilante. I will try to get it done this weekend. I will be at the Rhode Island Comic Con all day today.

Comment

Convoluted Hero Labs post follows:

I finally figured out how to deal with 3 skill points/PP and only 2 skill points/PP for Close Combat and Ranged Combat inside Hero Labs:

Create a power: Alternate Form. Set the Activation for the Power to "Move Action". Name the Alternate Form Power "Fake Attack Container"
                        Hit add new powers and add the power: Feature.
                        On that page, add the extra: Attack for 0 PP. Set the defense to Toughness (for validation purposes). Name the Feature "Not An Attack".
                        Hit OK on all the open pages

You should now have a zero point power that contains an attack called "Not An Attack". The reason to do this is so that you have a close attack in the list of attacks when you are adding combat skill ranks and that the cost of that attack doesn't impact the character because it costs zero PP.

On the skills page, every odd time that you add a Close Combat or Ranged Combat skill rank, also add a Close Combat "Not An Attack" rank. It's important to do it every odd time since you might end up with an odd number of combat skills. That's okay, as long as you don't try to use the remainder fractional PP on two non-combat skills.

So you might have:

Ranged Combat "Pistol" +3
                        Close Combat "Fist" +3
                        Close Combat "Not An Attack" +3

Or

Ranged Combat "Pistol" +3
                        Close Combat "Not An Attack" +2
                        Technology +1

Of course, it is still up to you to make sure the number of ranks in Not An Attack is half of the total other combat skills (rounded up). You could ignore this and just remember not to spend those extra 1/3 PP but this ensures the point totals work out.

Comment

I'm posting a new copy of Blink as the old one is so different someone might want to compare them.

EDIT: I've rearranged a few things, bumped up Int a bit, etc.

Blink (Hero; PL: 7; PP: 165/165)

STR: 2; AGL: 0; FGT: 2; AWE: 3
                          STA: 6; DEX: 0; INT: 10; PRE: 2
                          Dodge: 5; Parry: 5; Fortitude: 6; Toughness: 9; Will: 8

SKILLS: Athletics +2; Deception +10 (8r); Expertise: Applied Physics +11 (1r); Expertise: Biochemistry +11 (1r); Expertise: Computers +11 (1r); Expertise: Criminology +11 (1r); Expertise: Materials Science +11 (1r); Expertise: Nano-electronics +11 (1r); Expertise: Psychology +11 (1r); Insight +10 (7r); Intimidation +2; Investigation +11 (1r); Perception +10 (7r); Persuasion +10 (8r); Sleight of Hand +10 (10r); Stealth +10 (10r); Technology +17 (7r); Treatment +11 (1r)
                          LANGUAGES: English
                          ADVANTAGES: All-out Attack; Benefit, Wealth (well-off); Connected (free); Contacts; Equipment 2; Hide in Plain Sight; Improvised Tools; Inventor; Speed of Thought; Well-informed (free)

COMBAT Initiative: +10; Close: +2; Ranged: +0
                          • Flurry of Fists: Strength-based Damage 4: +8 (DC 21)
                          • Grab: +2 (Special DC 12) Range: Close
                          • Nerve Strike: Cumulative Affliction 8: +6 (Fortitude DC 18)
                          • Throw: +0 (DC 17) 800 lbs 6 ft, 200 lbs 30 ft, 50 lbs 120 ft
                          • Unarmed: +2 (DC 17) Range: Close

POWERS
                          • (Presence House Rule): Enhanced Presence 2 +2 PRE - Ability: Presence; Advantages: Connected, Well-informed; Flaws: Limited: House Rule for Presence (4 PP)
                          • Apex Intelligence: Enhanced Intellect 6 +6 INT - Ability: Intellect; Extras: Feature: Not detectable by normal Apex detection methods; Flaws: Permanent; Descriptors: Secret Apex Gene (13 PP)
                          • Apex Regeneration: Regeneration 10 Every 1 round - Descriptors: Apex Gene (10 PP)
                          • Apex Teleport: Blink: Teleport 1 60 feet in a move action, carrying 50 lbs. - Extras: Feature: Not detectable by normal Apex detection methods, Stacks with: Blink Enhancement: Teleport 4+1; Descriptors: Secret Apex Gene (3 PP)
                          • Concealing Body Armor - Flaws: Device: Removable (23 PP)
                            • Blink Enhancement: Teleport 4+1 900 feet in a move action, carrying 100 lbs. - Extras: Accurate, Change Direction, Change Velocity, Increased Mass; Descriptors: Technological (15 PP)
                              Circuitry in the suit enhances Blink's natural ability to teleport.
                            • Immunity: Immunity 5 - Critical Hits, Environmental Condition: Cold, Environmental Condition: Heat, Environmental Condition: Radiation; Extras: Subtle (Subtle); Descriptors: Technological (6 PP)
                            • Photoreactive Fabric: Concealment 4 - All Visual Senses; Flaws: Partial; Descriptors: Sensory, Technological (4 PP)
                            • Protection: Protection 3 +3 Toughness - Extras: Subtle (Subtle) (4 PP)
                              The "black" catsuit looks likes it's made of some kind of spandex but it's actually a kind of kevlar that reduces the resists puncture and reduces the blow from blunt trauma. It is also thermally neutral and radiation resistant. The outer surface absorbs light and makes the wearer harder to see.
                          • Full Face Mask/Hood HUD - Flaws: Device: Removable (18 PP)
                            • HUD Senses: Senses 9 - Analytical: Radio, Awareness: Apex, Awareness: Mana, Communication Link: Lair Computer for extra processing of data, Direction Sense, Distance Sense, Radio, Time Sense, Ultra-hearing (9 PP)
                            • Immunity: Immunity 7 - Sensory Affliction Effects, Suffocation (All); Descriptors: Technological (7 PP)
                              The eye crystals filter out flash effects. The ear buds filter out sonic flashes. The fabric itself bonds to the face and filters out smells and provides a rebreather effect.
                            • Video and Audio Recorders: Feature 1 - Descriptors: Technological (1 PP)
                              The recordings are stored both locally and across the communication link to the lair computer for further analysis.
                            • Visual Sensory Enhancements - (6 PP)
                              • Macroscopic Vision: Senses 5 - Analytical: Vision, Darkvision, Extended: Vision 1 (X10), Radius: Vision (5 PP)
                              • Microscopic Vision: Senses 5 - Analytical: Vision, Darkvision, Microscopic Vision 2 (Cell-size) (1 PP)
                          • Gloves - Flaws: Device: Removable (16 PP)
                            • Martial Strikes - (20 PP)
                              • Flurry of Fists: Strength-based Damage 4 - Extras: Accurate 3 (+6), Multiattack, Penetrating 6; Descriptors: Bludgeoning, Force (19 PP)
                              • Nerve Strike: Cumulative Affliction 8 - 1st degree: Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Immobile, 3rd degree: Paralyzed, Resisted by: Fortitude; Extras: Accurate 2 (+4), Cumulative; Descriptors: Biological, Technological (1 PP)

EQUIPMENT
                          • Underground Lair (10 ep)

Eyes: Green Hair: Brown
                          Height: 6' 2" Weight: 182 lb.

BACKGROUND
                          James Parnel is the successful owner and operator of Parnel Investigations, a private investigation firm with a handful of employees. He only works on the high profile cases the agency gets as he has skills most of his employees do not have and are not aware of. Three senior investigators, two junior investigators, two researchers and an office manager/receptionist work for him.

James was raised by his father. He never knew his mother. His mother was a Apex Intellect working for a corporation. She worked in gene splicing and she discovered a way to imbue Apex gene complexes in utero. But once they were imbued, they morphed and were not detectable using the normal Apex detecting protocols. She knew she could not let the Suits know that she could do this. Successful experiments were performed on lab "rats" (destitute people literary found in alleys and brought into labs), she would arrange for those women to fail to carry to term. The postmortems would always show that the genes were successful imbued to the offspring but the offspring were apparently not viable. After this she became pregnant and she went into a panic/madness episode where she injected her offspring with various Apex genes. She also built an artificial womb and managed to have it smuggled out of the corporation and to her husband who lived outside. Then she managed transfer her child to the artificial womb. Most of this occurred in the first trimester and the corp never knew she was pregnant. James was born in his grandmother's home with only his father, grandparents and an aunt present. By law, his father is considered his uncle and his mother is his father's "sister" who died in childbirth in a rural (read: off the grid) town in Montana.

His father was a member of an underground resistance cell and did not register James' Apex manifestation. James manifested over the summer when he was 7 and his father hid it. Being a doctor, he could treat his son at home. When James turned 18 and wanted to be able to move around in society, he registered himself as a teleporter. When asked, he said he never remembered being sick as a child and he only noticed he was able to teleport in the past few weeks. His range testing showed he was only a short range teleporter and that he had trouble teleporting to unseen places. (He faked not having the Accurate extra.) He had been hiding his abilities for several years at this point and being able to admit to some of them lifted a bit of burden from him.

The Apex treatments explain why he is high-stamina, high-intellect, and regenerative. The normal Apex detection protocols can detect his regeneration. The rest he hides. From an early age, it has been drilled into his head that he must not let them find out what he can do. His father has not told him who his real mother is. He knows the cover story is a falsehood and someday, he plans to dig into the mystery.

Most of his vigilante activity is sparked by his investigations firm. He will refuse to take a case to the client's face and then solve the case as Blink because he does not want a link to appear between the agency and the activities of Blink. Blink wears a black catsuit that gives him additional protection for damage and environmental effects. It is also photo active and allows him to hide within shadows easily. The full face mask is made of similar fabric and provides a rebreather effect. The mask is also a HUD device. The crystal eye sockets are actually capable of projecting a HUD enhanced reality image which gives him all kinds of information about what he is seeing and the ability zoom in far away and micro applications. The computer that runs all of that is sown into the fabric. The mask also contain a video camera CCD and audio microphones. He wears gloves that provide him is a rapid punch and a nerve punch.

COMPLICATIONS
                          Motivation: Justice
                          Relationship: James has been dating Laura Ellen Marx for the last six years.
                          Responsibility: He runs a detective agency. He has employees.
                          Secret: His Apex registry is incomplete. It lists his Regeneration but not his high Intellect and technological abilities. These Apex abilities are not detectable normally.

HEADQUARTERS
                          Underground Lair
                          Size: Tiny; Toughness: 6
                          Features: Communications, Computer, Laboratory, Living Space, Power System, Sealed, Secret 5

Totals: Abilities: 0 + Powers: 0 + Advantages: 0 + Features: 10 + Skills: 0 + Defenses: 0 + Equipment: 0 + Weapons & Armor: 0 -> 10

House Rules
                          Skill Points: 3 Skill Points per PP
                          Optional Rules: Choose Starting PP
                          Presence: Free interaction skill-based Advantage per rank of Presence

TOTALS: Abilities: 34 + Powers: 87 + Advantages: 9 + Skills: 22 + Defenses: 13 -> 165
                          Last edited by jmucchiello; 5th January 2019, 12:38 PM. Reason: Throw ranges

Comment

So I'm trying to establish the best way to have a power set that involves using Bladestorm liquid metal body to form weapons to use in combat. Would a simple create weapon power be correct?
                            Current Games

Jason Anderson (Telekinetic Storm): Infinite New Vindicators
                            Alexandria Downes (Seraph): Operation Phoenix

Comment

So, if demons are not a thing, since they are extra-dimensional, are elemental spirits a thing? The classic earth/air/fire/water elementals- mostly as beings that exist in the world, but only mages and similar beings can easily interact with them?

The idea would be someone who has a low-level mage ability, but also has an elemental spirit bound to their service (perhaps inherited?). In this case, mostly a ritualist and low-level Maker as far as the Suits are concerned, but able to call upon the power of a fire elemental. Yes, I just re-read Skin Game, and yes, this is at least partially inspired by Hannah Ascher.

Comment

@jmucchiello: okay.. just so I get things straight.. Blinks natural apex gene is regeneration or some kind of metabolism booster that gives him regen and slightly better physical attributes, and he has one ghost gene that gives him hyper-intellect (I had asked that anything granted by an Alex gene be added as a power. Since power nullification can be a thing, we need to know how kuch intellect he loses if hit by such a thing), and teleport has been relegated to some supertech in his suit. About right? The background still says his mom stunk him with "various genes".

@pathfinderq1: Yes and no. Nature spirits certainly exist and can be conversed with via spirit magic. But that is in things like water and soil and planets and trees. Fire is energy, it doesn't have a spirit as such. Using fire is the territory of kineticists. To be a little more specific, the nature spirits one can find simply inhabit Nature, theu don't control it, so manipulating the spirit doesn't allow a spirit mage to control nature. One needs matter magic to control matter.

Having a spirit bound to you is a possible thing and could be used to send messages to those who can speak to spirits, it could be placed into compatible matter to give it a temporary facsimile of life as a golem (which requires life and matter magic). A spirit could also be used as a cause for Will-targeting damage by having your bound spirit directly attack the spirit of someone else. I'm sure there are other things, but spirits themselves are rather limited in what they can do.

@Nareik: Strength-based damage X, Variable descriptor (melee weapons) is how i generally do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X