Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Vindicators Academy of Europe #25: Jeopardy!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #19: The $64,000 Question

    Martin sighs. "I'm about to find out, zough I deduce she is a prisoner in zat building." It was the closest portal that Martin knew of to the 'other dimension'.

    Go ahead.

    Comment


    • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #19: The $64,000 Question

      Violet Lear
      HP: 4

      Violet was starting to feel impatient with the wait but doing anything but waiting might jeopardize their chance to rescue Mike and Jakob. Assuming they were being taken to the same place. But if they weren't, there was nothing they could do to change it. She pushed that thought out of her mind. When the van finally started to slow, she prepared herself.

      "As soon as you can, grow every bush, tree and blade of grass you can. Anything to keep them from ganging up on us."

      Comment


      • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #19: The $64,000 Question

        Alex "Current" Murphy
        HP: 2 CND: Normal

        "Wait, what?!" Lex yelps, "Dude, that's a terrible idea. If it's a prisoner they'd be willing to say anything if it could get them out of jail."

        Comment


        • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #19: The $64,000 Question

          The Blue Knight

          His claymore ignited in his hand, scything through the air in its oddly silent path. "Surrender and run. We are here for your leaders."

          Cupping a hand to his mouth, Gwyn called out to the hospital. "Oi, pricks! Get out here and fight!"

          Initiative 1d20+6=22
          [I]Any sound can shake the air. My voice shakes the heart![/I]

          Comment


          • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #18: Decompress

            Ursa
            HP: 0

            Otso Karell, codenamed Ursa, on New Vindicators Academy of Europe.

            Comment


            • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #19: The $64,000 Question

              Magnitude
              Kasimir Flaegler
              HP 3


              Comment


              • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #19: The $64,000 Question

                LONDON (Current and Fluxx; NPCs: Sprite)
                Go ahead.

                He was no longer standing on a street in London. He was sitting. He was reading a newspaper. None of the words made any sense. It didn’t look like any language Martin had ever seen. He could feel vibrations traveling through the floor and the seat—he was moving. A train or a subway, he realized…

                “I like your shoes.”

                Martin’s hands—feminine hands with manicured nails—gingerly folded the paper up and set it down on the seat beside him. “Thank you,” he said, “they were on sale.” It was not his voice. It was the voice of the mysterious telepath who had contacted him moments before.

                Through the windows reaching towards the front of the car, he could see the landscaping whipping past him. He was sitting on a train across from a very attractive woman who reminded him of an older, redheaded Kirstie. She was a handsome woman—maybe in her mid-to-late thirties. Her petite but busty frame was garbed in a black sweater and a charcoal grey pencil skirt.

                Without any more words wasted on idle chit-chat, the redheaded woman put on a pair of glasses and looked at her phone. “I was wondering if it would be possible to inspect the merchandise before bidding?”

                “I’m afraid that my employer wouldn’t allow it, Miss Godridge. My employer’s concern is that one of his potential buyers might try to activate the product before the purchase is finalized.”

                “And what assurances do I have that the product is intact?”

                “Well, it’s missing a certain body part, but that’s been disclosed.”

                Miss Godridge looked as though she were about to pout. “Sixty-three million.”

                Martin’s hands reached for his own phone. He started a group email, sending everyone “63M”.

                Miss Godridge’s phone buzzed. “Thank you,” she said before excusing herself.

                Martin glanced around the car. Up and down the train, anyone who was bidding on the weapon would be receiving the email, notifying them of the bid increase. Ideally, none of them knew who was who. Some were playing it cool: they kept their phones on vibrate, and didn’t look when they felt it shake in their pocket. By looking too eager, they could be announcing themselves as a competitor in this auction.

                It may have been safer to conduct the auction entirely online, but then, Martin wouldn’t have been able to telepathically verify each of the prospective buyers to make sure that they had the funds to facilitate the exchange, the intention to adhere to the terms of the exchange, and the ability to control the weapon.

                Martin’s phone hummed. None of the characters made sense--they were the same language as the newspaper. Still, Martin understood: there was a new bid—this time from Chuck Faust.

                Martin’s fingers sent out another update: “69M”. As soon as he pressed “SEND”, two men sat down across from him.

                Both were dressed in black suits and dark glasses. One had short, blonde hair; the other had light brown hair, kept in a buzz cut. “You really shouldn’t have done that,” the blonde man said.

                “Why, hello there, Mary. Elle, you’re looking well.”

                “Is that supposed to intimidate me?” the blonde man said, eyeing Martin with a bored expression. “You can read our minds. Congratulations. Why don’t you read a little more—see what we’re going to do?”

                Martin’s eyes went to the other man—to the man Elle was posed as. “You can’t!”

                Across the aisle, a man slumped forward before collapsing to the floor. Two seats ahead of him, a woman was unconscious, leaning into the aisle, her arm dangling limply.

                Martin got up, only for the blonde man’s arm to stretch out and pin him to the seat. “Where is the weapon?”

                “Go to hell!”

                “If the wrong person buys it…” The blonde man sighed. “Why do I even bother to argue with people who clearly have no scruples?”

                Martin’s eyelids felt heavy. His head sagged forward. Everything went dark.

                “What the ‘ell ‘appened to ‘er?”

                Martin’s eyes slowly opened. He was on his side. The table was cold. His clothes were gone.

                “There were others there.” Martin could see the speaker. It was the man from the train—the one with the buzzcut. It was Elle Curie. “MacVarish stayed to pursue them…”

                He couldn’t talk. Why couldn’t he talk?

                “What should we do? I mean, ‘ow is she going to be able to eat like that?”

                Realizing Elle must have done something to remove his mouth, Martin raised his hands to his face, only to discover his hands had been turned into stubs.

                “Not my problem. All I know is she’s a mind witch. I think MacVarish was compromised—might be why he jumped at the chance to follow the two who did this?”

                “And yourself, Agent Dubois?”

                “I don’t think so. She was unconscious when I arrived on the scene.”

                “Well, we’ll get intake to-”

                “Attention,” said a voice across the room’s intercom. “Vauxhall Cross has several SPBs approaching. Alexander Murphy, Martin Curie, and Mira Linden should be considered hostile.”

                Martin Curie. Elle’s brother. He’d seen glimpses of him in Elle’s mind.

                He was his only way out of this.

                Like that, Martin was back on the street, standing in front of Current and an unconscious Sprite.

                "Wait, what?!" yelped Current. "Dude, that's a terrible idea. If it's a prisoner they'd be willing to say anything if it could get them out of jail."

                VAN (Violet; NPCs: Crux x2, Rose)
                A few more minutes passed and the van began to slow down. It felt like they were pulling off. They slightly turned left, then a hard right before coming to a stop. The engine idled a moment before it was killed. A second later, the doors in the cab were opened. The van shook ever so slightly as the driver and his passenger got out. Doors were slammed shut.

                There was a pause before the back doors started to open. "Was zur Hölle machst du?" shouted someone. Their voice was distant--not the man opening the doors.

                "Ich überprüfe auf sie," said the man at the doors.

                "Bist du ein idiot? Wolf sagte der blonde kann jede Pflanze kann sie sehen, zu kontrollieren!"

                Rose lunged at the door and threw herself against it. She bounced back and to the floor, unable to overpower the man on the other side.

                "Sie sind wach!" he screamed. "Ich denke, sie sind frei, auch!"

                BOMBO, OUTSIDE (Blue Knight and Magnitude; NPCs: UUB Soldiers)
                Originally posted by Michuru81
                The Order: Round One
                • Blue Knight (22)
                • Magnitude (20)
                • UUB Soldier (18)
                • UUB Soldier (14)
                • UUB Soldier (12)
                • UUB Soldier (5)
                • UUB Soldier (3)
                BOMBO, INSIDE (Greystone, Ursa; NPCs: Guards x2)
                Originally posted by Michuru81
                UUB Soldier - Initiative: 1D20 = [16] = 16
                1D20 = [6] = 6


                The Order: Round One
                • Ursa (21)
                • UUB Soldier (16)
                • UUB Soldier (6)
                Armada Status

                Comment


                • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #18: Decompress

                  Ursa
                  HP: 0


                  Otso charged at the soldiers, trying to pin one of them down.

                  I'm camping for the rest of the week and am doing most of these rolls from memory. Charge to attack: 1D20+6+2 = [16]+6+2 = 24
                  , Grapple: 1D20+6+10+2 = [6]+6+10+2 = 24
                  Otso Karell, codenamed Ursa, on New Vindicators Academy of Europe.

                  Comment


                  • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #19: The $64,000 Question

                    Violet Lear
                    HP: 4->3

                    Violet cursed under her breath. "I said after they open the door, you twit! Now they're ready for us." She quickly tried to assess the situation. By the sound there were at least three men outside but there could be many more. And they could be armed with anything; clubs, knives, guns, who knew? In casual clothes, they'd be incredibly vulnerable to all of that. It was time to try something new. No subtlety, no elegance; just brute force. "Stand back."

                    Violet took a deep breath and changed. The interior of the van chilled considerably and ice covered her entire body. It strengthened her limbs and she formed a thick club (a mace really, she'd seen one in a museum) in her hands. Ready, she stepped forward and kicked out at the door.

                    Power stunting off her Ice attacks:
                    Protection 6(Impervious)
                    Reduced Dodge Focus - 4 (have to do this to stay under cap)
                    Strength +4
                    Strike 3(Mighty, Accurate 2))
                    This is a total of 18 points worth of powers.

                    Comment


                    • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #19: The $64,000 Question

                      Greystone:
                      [Jack Rexroth]
                      HP: 2

                      Taking a moment to get ready for the coming fight, Jack altered his body to suit a close quarters fight then followed Otso. As he charged towards the guards the American spoke into his commlink. "Company's coming your way guys, and we're moving in."



                      OOC:
                      _______________
                      Initiative: _: 1D20+4 = [9]+4 =13.

                      Shapeshift Set Up:
                      Dragon Scales: [4 pts] Protection 4
                      Electric Eel Glands [16 pts]: Strike 8 [electrical] (Extra: Aura)
                      Sensitive Nose [4 pts]: Super-Senses 4 [Olfactory (Analytical, Extended, Tracking Scent 2)]

                      Comment


                      • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #19: The $64,000 Question

                        BOMBO, INSIDE (Greystone, Ursa; NPCs: Guards x2)
                        Ursa lunged at the guard closest to him and pinned him against the wall with an arm across the youth's throat and another trapping his arms. As his companion jumped into action, Greystone shifted forms. "Company's coming your way guys," he said into his communicator, "and we're moving in."

                        The other guard turned and trained his gun on Ursa as best he could. Careful not to hit his partner, he pulled the trigger and missed his intended target.

                        Originally posted by Michuru81
                        The Order: Round One
                        • Ursa (21)
                        • UUB Soldier (16): Grappled
                        • Greystone (13)
                        • UUB Soldier (6)


                        The other one will shoot at the bear. -4 for shooting into melee: UUB Soldier - Attack: 1D20-4 = [13]-4 = 9
                        Miss! New round is kicked off by Ursa!
                        VAN (Violet; NPCs: Crux x2, Rose)
                        Violet charged at the doors and overpowered the man trying to shut them. The doors swung back and she saw him: a man in dark green coveralls with a white armband, knocked to the ground.

                        It was dark--night had fallen--and their abductors had pulled off to gas up at a small service station apparently in the middle of nowhere.

                        Originally posted by Michuru81
                        Crux - Strength check: 1D20 = [2] = 2
                        Given that the odds of Violet beating that roll are pretty damn good, I'm going to presume Shock's roll succeeds and continue with the scene.

                        Crux - Initiative: 1D20 = [18] = 18
                        1D20 = [19] = 19
                        Last edited by Michuru81; 2nd July 2015, 09:51 AM.
                        Armada Status

                        Comment


                        • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #19: The $64,000 Question

                          Martin's hand shot out to steady himself on a nearby building even before Lex finished his warning.

                          "Why ze 'ell would she zink zose memories would incline me toward 'elping 'er?" Martin wondered aloud, perplexed.

                          He clicks on his commlink. "Jones, I 'ave more information. Please just 'ear me out."

                          "You're about to put a naked, mouthless, 'andless woman in your special prison. She was an auctioneer of sorts selling a weapon, I zink, a person, likely an SPB 'oo's powers could be 'activated' and 'ad to be 'contained' - she also referenced a missing body-part to one of 'er bidders. She's a psychic and I can only zink she shared what information she did so I can restore 'er mouth and 'ands in exchange for ze rest of ze information she knows. Ozerwise she deserves to rot. I know zat one of ze bidders was a Miss Godridge and if you check ze cameras on ze corner of 7th and Carrington I'm adopting 'er form so you 'ave a visual in case 'Godridge' was an alias. I also 'ave ze e-mail addresses of ze buyers, but zey are in characters I do not know ze language for and zey are likely dummies set up just for zis auction. Before Tallemaja and Elle-Lacuna disrupted ze auction by knocking out ze perspective buyers on ze train, ze last bid was from Chuck Faust for 69Million. 'E is a mage of considerable power and ambition. And ze last time we encountered 'im he possessed and artifact zat could turn someone into a god so we know 'e deals in powerful zings." Martin hesitated only slightly before this next part. Clearly Tallemaja had noble intentions. She just didn't care who's lives she ruined in the process.

                          "Agent Dubios should be monitored and detained, MacVarish should as well if you ever see 'im again. Bring a psychic in to clean out Dubios' mind." Martin winced. Maybe by leaving it vague they would be less inclined to jump strait to lethality. Maybe they will think one of their Agents psychically compromised and lock him up, apparently like they did to Kirstie's father. Maybe. This was the best way he could think of to recover Elle. He didn't necessarily want to stop Tallemaja from stopping the distribution of the 'weapon', he just didn't want his mind-controlled sister involved with it any more. Let her find some other partner to continue her crusade with.

                          "We'll be around around for a little while longer. Let me know if you want restoration on that psychic." he offers.

                          Martin turns to Lex as his exposition was as much for the American's benefit. "Lex, doesn't 'Elle-Lacuna' sound like ze name of a luchador?" he asks.

                          Comment


                          • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #19: The $64,000 Question

                            Violet Lear
                            HP: 3

                            Comment


                            • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #19: The $64,000 Question

                              Alex "Current" Murphy
                              HP: 2 CND: Normal

                              "Why ze 'ell would she zink zose memories would incline me toward 'elping 'er?" Martin wondered aloud, perplexed.


                              "Uh, who's to say they can only send memories and not commands?"
                              Lex asks, crossing his arms, "I mean, we've ran into how many crazy psychics?"


                              Martin turns to Lex as his exposition was as much for the American's benefit. "Lex, doesn't 'Elle-Lacuna' sound like ze name of a luchador?" he asks.


                              Lex makes a face,
                              "I'm imagining a blonde cowgirl with pig-tails in a mask."

                              He considers it for a moment,
                              "I think it'd sell."

                              "We might want to consider moving soon, just in case those guys decide to try and arrest us," Lex looked around with a frown, "And from what I remember this place is covered in cameras, like, everywhere."

                              Comment


                              • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #19: The $64,000 Question

                                VAUXHALL CROSS (Agent Dewhurst)
                                Agent Jones snapped his fingers and Dewhurst rounded on him. "Talk fast, Martin," Jones said. Immediately, Dewhurst grabbed a headset and moved to listen in. As the agency's leading expert on all things New Vindicators Academy of Europe, Dewhurst had been called in as soon as they had identified who they were dealing with, in the hopes that might be able to offer some insight in how to resolve the situation before it went beyond their control. "We're sort of in damage control mode here..."

                                "You're about to put a naked, mouthless, 'andless woman in your special prison."

                                Get me intake, Dewhurst wrote on a legal pad before handing it to one of the interns. "She was an auctioneer of sorts selling a weapon, I zink, a person, likely an SPB 'oo's powers could be 'activated' and 'ad to be 'contained' - she also referenced a missing body-part to one of 'er bidders. She's a psychic and I can only zink she shared what information she did so I can restore 'er mouth and 'ands in exchange for ze rest of ze information she knows. Ozerwise she deserves to rot. I know zat one of ze bidders was a Miss Godridge and if you check ze cameras on ze corner of 7th and Carrington I'm adopting 'er form so you 'ave a visual in case 'Godridge' was an alias."

                                Dewhurst's eyes nearly popped out of his head as he heard the name. He quickly scribbled something on a pad and passed it to Jones. The other man's eyes widened as he read it.

                                When they saw the image Martin adopted, the two men understood.

                                "Martin," Jones asked, "you're sure it was 'Godridge'?"

                                As Martin confirmed the surname, Dewhurst looked up to see the intern had returned with another agent.

                                "Jed Green," he said, "one of the engineers from Row 64."

                                "Did you recently take in a woman who is naked, mouthless-"

                                "Yeah, Dubois just brought her in. Damnedest thing-"

                                "I need to see her."

                                The man shrugged and led Dewhurst down towards the intake room. Sure enough, the undfortunate woman was still shackled to an examination table.

                                "Do you know Morse code?" Dewhurst asked.

                                The woman shook her head.

                                "I need a name. I'm going to start going through the alphabet. When I get to a letter, I want you to nod."

                                The woman shook her head.

                                "Someone did this to you, right? I know a kid who can get this right--make you normal--but I need something from you first, got it? Now, when I get to a letter, you nod. Understood?"

                                The woman nodded.

                                "A. B. C. D. ..." By the time he had made it to 'V', Agent Dewhurst was beginning to think the woman was going to deny him her name out of spite. "W. X. Y."

                                She nodded. Dewhurst felt a wave of relief.

                                "Second letter. A. B. C. ..." She nodded on 'I', then on 'F'. "Fourth letter. A." She nodded.

                                Soon, Dewhurst had the woman's name. "You're name is 'Yifan Zhang'?" he asked.

                                Again, she nodded.

                                "I'm told you were managing an auction--that people were bidding on a weapon. Is it an SPB?"

                                She nodded.

                                "You captured an SPB and are selling it to the highest bidder?"

                                She nodded.

                                "You contacted Martin Curie, hoping that he could help you, correct? I'm willing to have him brought in to heal you, but only if you'll give us information on this auction. Particularly, I want to know everything there is to know about this Miss Godridge. The information will be exchanged first. When I'm satisfied, only then will I allow Curie in. Screw with me, and I'll toss you into darkest corner of Row 64. No one will be able to help you then.

                                "Have I made myself clear?"

                                Yifan Zhang nodded.

                                Dewhurst sighed and turned on his communicator.

                                "Martin. Lex. This is Agent Geoffrey Dewhurst.

                                "You probably remember me by the alias I used while stationed at the school: Armin Armannperg. I sitting here with the Esper who contacted you, Martin, and I think--if you're up for letting her contact you again, we might be able to help Chief Arnett."

                                VAN (Violet; NPCs: Crux x2, Rose)
                                The man on the ground got to his feet and fumbled inside his pocket for an expandable baton while his partner ran around the side of the van. As he came into view, Rose looked up... and apparently did nothing.

                                Originally posted by Michuru81
                                Almost forgot... Thorn - Initiative: 1D20+1 = [7]+1 = 8


                                The Order: Round One
                                • Crux A (19)
                                • Crux B (18)
                                • Rose (8)
                                • Violet (7)


                                Rose will animate the vegetation in the area, by which I mean the grass, weeds, and flowers.
                                Armada Status

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X