Announcement

Collapse

New Server

RoninArmy.com now lives on a new server! Due to a communication mixup with our hosting company, some posts made around November 3, 2019 might have been overwritten. We apologize for the inconvenience. If anything seems off or doesn't work any more (or if anything works better now), we'd like to hear about it. Thanks!
See more
See less

New Vindicators Academy of Europe #25: Jeopardy!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #18: Decompress

    Alex "Current" Murphy
    HP: 0 CND: Normal

    Lex felt like somebody had just stabbed him in the gut with a hunk of ice.

    He took a deep breath then let it out slowly.

    "Alright, fine. You want to be that way?" He threw his hands up and stormed over to the door, "Fine."

    He flicked the lock in place, barring the door, then ramped up his powers. He only ran into one person in his life who was able to toss around their abilities without physically being in the same room, and that was only because a copy of Lacuna was technically in the same room. So there was a very good chance whoever was doing this nonsense was hiding in the room with them.

    And he was confident he could search the entire room in no time flat. If they were hiding in here he was going to find them. And he was going to tear them apart.

    "Lets play," He growls as he accelerates through the room looking for a camouflaged or invisible opponent.

    Against anybody else such tactics would have been pointless. An invisible person could just move as the search got too close. But against him? Lex was confident they wouldn't have time to move, and Lex had more than enough time to poke, prod and move everything in the room.

    He just hoped that he was searching for an invisible opponent, otherwise this was going to get even harder to deal with. He couldn't risk calling for help if all the help wound up with a whammy put on them.

    Comment


    • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #18: Decompress

      MARRAKESH (Blue Knight, Shiver, Ursa; NPCs: Felsic, Fiore, Prodigy)
      Originally posted by Michuru81
      I've got your reply, Shock, and I'm holding to let Eld and/or McGuffin take it.
      HALLWAY (Kas; NPCs: Fisher)
      Originally posted by Michuru81
      I've got your reply, HH. If you and TM are cool with it, I can just fast track the scene a bit. We can presume Yavorshak and Armand are down for going and move on from there, if you'd like.
      INFIRMARY (Lex; NPCs: Arnetts and Kirstie)
      "Just get out!" Kirstie shouted as Lex searched the room. "I don't want to see you anymore!"

      Her father looked startled--not by her words, but by her very presence. "Kirstie?" he asked. "What the devil are you...?" He suddenly looked defensive. "Something's not right. I think I'm under psychic attack."

      Originally posted by Michuru81
      First off, my apologies if it seems like I'm jumping the gun a bit. I think Lex's scene might be longer than the others, so it might do good to speed him up, in order to conclude everyone's scenes together.

      Second, a hero point to Lex for my fiating. Now that he has a handle on what's going on, I'll roll the Will saves.

      Power Check for Will, Carla, and Kirstie, in that order. : 1D20+10 = [4]+10 = 14
      1D20+10 = [16]+10 = 26
      1D20+10 = [10]+10 = 20


      Ugh. Suddenly, CC doesn't like notes. Will's Will save (DC 14) _: 1D20+6 = [12]+6 = 18
      ; Carla's is impossible with no bonus; Kirstie's Will save (DC 20) _: 1D20+2 = [9]+2 = 11
      Armada Status

      Comment


      • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #18: Decompress

        Kas:OOC-
        Fast track away

        Comment


        • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #18: Decompress

          Alex "Current" Murphy
          HP: 1 CND: Normal

          Lex grunted, "Welcome back. And yes, you are."

          He didn't stop his search, "Seems like somebody put a whammy on all of you. I think it started with you. Not sure how they're doing it, but I don't think they were ready for the fact that this nonsense doesn't work on me."

          He growls as he continues to search, "But I can't figure out who's doing it or from where. It's not Lacuna, and I don't think it's tell-a-magi."

          Comment


          • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #18: Decompress

            Originally posted by Michuru81 View Post
            WAR ROOM (Martin; NPCs: Anne, Eve, Gaspar, Newton, Tatjana)
            The redhead could only muster a grimace. "You're here until you take off again, you mean," she growled. "You'd be better off with someone like Eve--someone who's not this delicate little thing you have to protect." She said her words through a sneer, failing to disguise her displeasure at being left behind this morning.
            "Tatjana, Cher, I can only imagine what you must be going zrough, 'ow 'ard zis must be for you."
            Kidnapped the day before, then left behind this morning. Being bombarded with the fact that she is alone for the past hour or so - none of that could feel good.

            "Please understand I do not zink you are weak or a liability. Zis morning I knew ze risks and would not 'ave taken anyone wiz me into zat lion's den. Not Eve or Lex or Jack or anyone. Eet ees not zat I zink you weak. I did not suggest you be on zis team out of pity or sentiment; you are one of ze best people for zis situation. Tajana, we need YOU." Martin emphasizes.

            Comment


            • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #18: Decompress

              The Blue Knight

              Gwyn sighed. "You'll have to take point on this one Lamperouge, since we don't speak the language."

              A crowded place like this, probably fairly dark inside, full of people speaking Arabic. At least the people they were looking for were equally foreign.

              "Worse places to look for somebody," He offered. "But we'll probably have to wash the smell out of these clothes after."
              [I]Any sound can shake the air. My voice shakes the heart![/I]

              Comment


              • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #18: Decompress

                VIENNA (Jack and Kas; NPCs: Armand and Yavorshak)
                Originally posted by Michuru81 View Post
                Originally posted by Tattooedman View Post
                So Mich, could I get an info dump on what Agnes' social media page had on it?
                Absolutely! Jack discovered that Agnes lives with her legal guardian, Stefon Zolefsky. He also found Stefon's address in Austria, as well as comments from Agnes' friends questioning why she would post that. [nods]
                Armed with the information Jack had found, the small group soon found themselves standing outside of the home of Stefon Zolefsky. It was a small, decrepit-looking apartment building in Vienna's fifteenth district. Magnitude was no stranger to the Rudolfsheim-Fünfhaus area: drug dealing and prostitution were more common this close to Gürtel, and a few of the Volunteers' escapades had brought them here. Of all Vienna's districts, Rudolfsheim-Fünfhaus was the poorest, and definitely the seediest. "Let's find your girl and go," Armand said. "I hate it here."

                INFIRMARY (Lex; NPCs: Carla, Kirstie, and Will)
                "All of us?" Will rounded on his wife. "Carla?"

                Kirstie groaned in pain suddenly and grabbed her side. "Kirstie!" Her father flew to her side. "What happened to-" As he moved to grab her, her powers flung him back and into a table.

                "Daddy!" Kirstie cried in alarm as Carla dropped to her husband's side.

                Unless whoever was controlling them was a good actor, it seemed they had been released.

                "Lex?" the man groaned. The man's hands fell gently on the sides of his wife's face, inspecting her carefully. "I need you to tell me everything that's happened--everything we've said..."

                WAR ROOM (Martin; NPCs: Anne, Eve, Gaspar, Newton, Tatjana)
                "Tatjana, we need YOU."

                "No, you don't!" she snapped. The light bulbs burst, plunging the hallway into darkness. Tatjana hardly seemed fazed. "I'm useless! I'm pathetic! JUST STOP LYING TO ME!"

                Originally posted by Michuru81
                First, hero point to Martin for the complication.

                Second, Tatjana will go for an Auditory Dazzle 8 on everyone within 40' of her, which, at the moment, we'll say is just Martin. DC 18 Reflex to halve a DC 18 Fortitude save, flynnarrel.
                MARRAKESH (Blue Knight, Shiver, Ursa; NPCs: Felsic, Fiore, Prodigy)
                "You'll have to take point on this one Lamperouge, since we don't speak the language."

                "Sure," Prodigy said, "what do you want me to say? I'd hate to overstep any boundaries, like I did with the car."
                Armada Status

                Comment


                • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #18: Decompress

                  Martin flinches as the decibles begin to rise and he rapidly moves his hands to the side of his head. Coupled with the fact that his ears absorbed into his body it was enough to prevent the impairment.

                  "Tatjana, please, lower your voice. You are approaching painful levels." he cautions.

                  "I understand if you cannot 'ave zis conversation right now. Your passion is one of ze zings I admire and love about you. Please, take some time, maybe get someone else's perspective? Sarah per'aps? I'm going to go back to ze meeting to continue brainstorming 'ow to convince Durendal to give up stolen powers or even meet ze guy in a non-deceptive way. I will call you before we take action and let you know ze plan to see if you wish to join us or not. *I* would very much want you zere, but I shall respect your decision eizer way." Martin assures.

                  "Please, go find peace." He'll say before squeezing her hand. He'll turn away slowly to give her opportunity to stop him.


                  If she does not he walks back to the others. "Sorry for zat, Tatjana may or may not be joining us on ze mission. Where were we in determining options?"

                  Comment


                  • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #18: Decompress

                    Alex "Current" Murphy
                    HP: 1 CND: Normal

                    Lex
                    winces as William goes flying, and makes a pained face, "Ow..."

                    He pauses long enough to look back and forth again through the infirmary before letting out a sigh. This wasn't good. Who ever was responsible wasn't in the room with them.

                    "Well, you all came in here to visit with Kirstie," Lex says pulling a chair over for William, "You guys were already here when I arrived, Carla gave me a hug and invited my family to join you guys for dinner... and then everything went weird."

                    He points to William, "You said it was too dangerous here and Kirstie was getting sent off to Switzerland to join something called the Avon? No, Avalon school for girls."

                    Lex goes and sits down back next to Kirstie, "Kirstie took that about as well as you'd expect, then Carla suddenly went all cold fish and said you're all leaving tonight."

                    "So I wanted to chat with you,"
                    He says to William, "But you were pretty unhappy about that, so I pointed out how freaking strange you guys are all acting and that I wasn't letting anybody go anywhere until I got some answers."

                    He sighs, "And then Kirstie broke up with me 'cause I didn't care about her well being enough to let her go, like right after she pointed out that her entire life is in this school, and I got tired of all this nonsense and went looking for the crazy person who's pulling all the strings."

                    "'Cept I couldn't find them in the room,"
                    He frowns, "That's about all I know."

                    He crosses his arms and leans back in his chair, "If I had to guess, though, I'd say you were the first one hit by the whammy. Everybody else seemed pretty normal until you sprung the whole girl's boarding school thing."

                    Comment


                    • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #18: Decompress

                      The Blue Knight

                      He shrugged, at a loss. An eye-tie, two Finns, a member of a fairly important English family, and half-demon Welshman, in an Arab hookah bar. They didn't speak the language and they didn't-unless he was misjudging his classmates-even smoke tobacco, to say nothing of the flavored stuff. Looking for a group of foreigners who might have been even more out of place.

                      If that was possible.

                      "Well, I guess that's just it. Ya know what we're here for. I could tell you what to say word for word, but I'd 've no way of knowing what you said, mun. Asking for a drink, telling the police we're dangerous Neos who need to be arrested, inquiring after Haboob and the rest? I wown't know."

                      He regarded the taller boy. He knew all this as well as Gwyn. Better.

                      "I'm just going to have to trust you." Gwyn looked out from behind his shades at Violet, and then the rest of them.

                      "We all are." He looked back to Jason.

                      "I guess its up to you as to whether we regret that or not."
                      [I]Any sound can shake the air. My voice shakes the heart![/I]

                      Comment


                      • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #18: Decompress

                        Magnitude
                        Kasimir Flaegler
                        HP 2 LP 2


                        Kas knew exactly how Armand felt. Kas had a relatively genteel upbringing, with affluent parents. While he'd fought crime in this sort of neighborhood, he'd never really stuck around to interact with the locals. Like many affluent people, poverty made him uncomfortable. It clashed with his belief in the meritocracy of Europe. Entrenched poverty could be an inescapable black hole for even the brightest, most talented people. History was rife with stories of geniuses who, lacking any other option, turned their brilliance to crime. The fact that some of those people had IQ's rivaling the world's greatest minds meant that his ideas about the world may well be a touch...naive.

                        Ja, he hated it here too.

                        "Ja, I understand, but your job is only to keep Doktor Yavorshak safe. Anything else, Jack und I will deal with."

                        He had civilian clothes on over his uniform and sunglasses on, so people couldn't see his eyes. Unfortunately, he didn't think he should be dealing with the zipper on a duffel bag should problems arise, so his helmet was just tucked into the crook of his arm as usual.

                        "Very well, gentlemen...lady, if everyone is ready, let's do this." Walking up to the door of Agnes' home, he knocked firmly.

                        Comment


                        • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #18: Decompress

                          Greystone:
                          [Jack Rexroth]
                          HP: 1

                          "I hate it here."
                          "Ja, I understand, but your job is only to keep Doktor Yavorshak safe. Anything else, Jack und I will deal with."
                          Oddly enough Jack felt comfortable in the rougher part of Vienna as it reminded him of the neighborhood he lived on before Black Box grabbed him. He kept quiet though and kept his attention on their surroundings since they were going in blind here, no pun intended, as they approached their destination.

                          "Very well, gentlemen...lady, if everyone is ready, let's do this." Walking up to the door of Agnes' home, he knocked firmly.
                          "Right behind you." The American said as he followed Kas, stopping just two steps behind him.

                          Comment


                          • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #18: Decompress

                            Greystone .2:

                            This Jack couldn’t help but smirk at Vlad’s semi-plan. [color=#5e6b7b]“I take it Radu has some way of summoning his kids to his side in case of a threat like we’re planning? We might want to think about countering it too.”[color]

                            Comment


                            • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #18: Decompress

                              Violet Lear
                              HP: 3

                              Violet caught the Blue Knight's look and nodded slightly. She wasn't going to be a problem. She didn't like Jason but she didn't think there was any reason not to trust him. "It's going to look a bit odd if a whole bunch of Euros show up and start asking questions right? Maybe some of us should wait out here."

                              Comment


                              • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #18: Decompress

                                WAR ROOM (Martin; NPCs: Anne, Eve, Gaspar, Newton, Tatjana)
                                "Tatjana, please," cautioned Martin, "lower your voice. You are approaching painful levels."

                                "See!?!" Tatjana fired back. "You don't think I can control my powers NOW--you definitely don't want me around Durendal. I bet Eve has no problem keeping her powers under control."

                                "I understand if you cannot 'ave zis conversation right now. Your passion is one of ze zings I admire and love about-"

                                "Spare me!" She raised her voice again--not to an ear-splitting level, but high enough to leave a ringing in Martin's ears. Behind him, the door to the war room opened and the hall was dimly lit by Eve's aura. Newton cautiously stepped out ahead of the others. "No one loves me! My own parents couldn't love me, what chance does anyone else have?"

                                "Martin..." There was a worried tone in Newton's voice. He wanted to intervene, but it was obvious he felt just as helpless as Martin.

                                "That's a load of crap!" shouted Gaspar. In the darkness, he turned to the headmaster's daughter. "Anne? Light, please."

                                The sound of Anne's arm transforming filled the chamber. Soon, there was a steady glow from her main weapon. "Tat, I know no one has been through exactly what you're going through, but we can... what's the word?" He swirled his hand in the air as he struggled to think of it. "My parents were killed in an accident. Martin's parents are gone, too. Your boyfriend and I are not strangers to that sort of pain, and we both care about you very much-"

                                "You don't!"

                                "We do, and you're not Emily. You cannot read minds. You are not qualified to tell us what we think or how we feel."

                                "Please, take some time," pleaded Martin, "maybe get someone else's perspective? Sarah per'aps? I'm going to go back to ze meeting to continue brainstorming 'ow to convince Durendal to give up stolen powers or even meet ze guy in a non-deceptive way. I will call you before we take action and let you know ze plan to see if you wish to join us or not. I would very much want you zere, but I shall respect your decision eizer way.

                                "Please, go..." Before Martin could finish talking, Tatjana darted into the darkness, leaving the sounds of sobbing in her wake. "...find peace."

                                "Sorry for zat," Martin said, turning back towards the others. "Tatjana may or may not be joining us on ze mission. Where were we in determining options?"

                                Gaspar sighed. "I don't know, amigo... I was thinking that we haven't considered just being straight with him. What if we went up to him and told him, 'Look, we see that you're doing good, but you're hurting people to do it. Let us help you find another way before this turns into something you don't want.' No subterfuge. No violence. Nothing but the facts."

                                Eve was shaking her head. "He obviously knows what his powers do to people, but doesn't care. I don't think he'll be receptive towards that at all."

                                Newton looked to Martin. "Well, what's your move going to be? If we don't make a move, we'll need some way to contend with Mira."

                                INFIRMARY (Lex; NPCs: Carla, Kirstie, and Will)
                                William took out his cell phone and dialed a number from memory. "I've been compromised through telepathic assault," he said. "An unknown Esper has controlled my mind remotely, apparently to transfer my daughter from her school to the Avalon School for Girls. I have been under this individual's control for an indeterminate amount of time, as I don't even remember coming to Vienna. The last thing I remember is..." He searched his thoughts, combing over his recent actions. "Breakfast with Carla? No, there was a call... They wanted me in the office. There was an attack--skeletons in Vienna..."

                                "That was yesterday," Kirstie croaked. "I think." She looked to Lex to confirm that she hadn't lost several days under the control of this latest threat.

                                "While under this individual's control," William continued, "my wife and daughter were also controlled. None of us have any recollection of the time spend under their control."

                                Hanging up the phone, he looked to Kirstie. "Now... who did that to my baby girl?"

                                Kirstie explained everything to her father: the attack on Vienna, Cleave, the evolution of her abilities... Her mother sobbed at the revelation that her daughter had nearly died and she couldn't put her arms around the girl.

                                "And this Cleave?" The man who allegedly had a license to kill looked to Lex. "Where is he now?"

                                MARRAKESH (Blue Knight, Shiver, Ursa; NPCs: Felsic, Fiore, Prodigy)
                                "Trouble is," Prodigy said, "there's too many unknowns. Skew looted the palace. For all we know, this guy is just a fence. It could be that Skew owns the place, and this is where he goes to lay low. Maybe someone's in the business of hiding career criminals, and all our targets are taking naps on cots in the basement. Or, Skew just had this number, but never contacted him, and this is a dead end.

                                "I'm not sure what you're hoping to accomplish. If it were me? I'd place someone at every possible exit, then go in, give the place a look over, call the number we have from the burner, and see whose phone rings. If he's inclined to talk, great. If he wants to fight, we give him one. If he tries to run, we're ready for that, too. Once we have him, we ask him about his contact with Skew. He may roll on him easily, or he may need Otso to persuade him.

                                "Odds are, however, that such a plan will draw attention. If our guys are in there, that'll draw them out. If they're watching the place, we'll risk them running. Or, maybe they're not involved at all, and we leave tons of witnesses to a bunch of Neo-Sapiens shaking down a hookah peddler.

                                "I could probably do more with more information, but with so many unknowns?" Prodigy shrugged. "Part of me thinks if we put you and Pirjo into plains clothes, you could pretend to be college students on holiday. Even if you don't speak the language, you could get a sense for who's inside--use the phone I gave you to find out who owns the phone Skew may or may not have called. Only problem is, you two were both at Prater, yesterday. Skew, Robor--maybe even Ogre could make you. Otso and I are the only ones who weren't there, but neither of us are going to pass for college age, and it's likely they saw a picture of Otso in his human form."

                                VIENNA (Jack and Kas; NPCs: Armand and Yavorshak)
                                Kas knocked. It was a few moments before he heard someone unlock the door. Jack watched as it opened, revealing an effeminate man in an Ed Hardy shirt. At the sight of both boys, he grinned roguishly. <<"It must be my birthday,">> he said breathlessly.

                                ARAD, ROMANIA (Jack; NPCs: Herta and Vlad)
                                "I take it Radu has some way of summoning his kids to his side in case of a threat like we’re planning?" Jack asked. "We might want to think about countering it, too."

                                "Yeah," groaned Herta, "it's called 'yelling'." The youngest of their hit squad rolled her eyes. "I could be on the &$^@ before he has time to blink, but I don't know what good that'll do. I'm not strong enough to hold him--gagging him is out of the $%^# question. I can probably get in a good solid hit... but the old &$^% is tough, so it might not be enough to put him down."
                                Armada Status

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X