Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Vindicators Academy of Europe #25: Jeopardy!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #17: Distract

    "I do not want to wait zat long. I've seen 'im generate and animate weapons. In two minutes 'e could 'ave an army. If 'e 'as mental communication wiz 'is blades zen 'e already knows we 'ave breached ze entrance guards and is likely doing just zat. We must do zis right away. Ze ozers do not need our coordination to take on ze ozer entrances. We can trust zem to 'andle zat, yes?" Fluxx looks expectantly at him.

    Comment


    • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #17: Distract

      Alex "Current" Murphy
      HP: 1 CND: Fatigued

      Lex
      scowls, "Did I mention the SWAT team? Those swords are deadly."

      He frowned. If the guy ordered the swords to attack everybody when they attacked him they could be facing a blood bath. Of course as far as he knew the swords had to hear him speak. Any maybe the swords would disappear when the bad guy was gone.

      There were too many unknowns.

      He sighed.

      What did he know? What did he really know? The guy could make more swords, and he was killing people. That was the only thing they knew for sure.

      The one thing he could safely assume was that Cleave was probably going to be off to investigate all the thunder. Time wasn't something they had.

      "Dammit," he muttered, "Alright, we'll try it your way."

      He grabbed Kirstie and kissed her hard before stepping away, "Don't do anything I'd do, ya know?"

      He grinned, "And wish me luck."

      Comment


      • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #17: Distract

        The Blue Knight

        Gwyn's wings sprouted again, and he flitted over to the beast's chest. Stepping on it with one foot, his claymore ignited, centimeters from the Ogre's neck. If it seemed about to wake up, he'd cleave right through it again.

        "Damn good distraction, e'en it? We leave, the thing gets right back up in a little while. And they don't make jail cells in his size."

        Kas could just lift the thing up and carry it back to the school. Then the Vindicators could put it wherever they put the criminals they rounded up. He'd have to think of something clever, like.

        "Tähti, you dig tunnels when you're lavaed up, ya? Could you maybe dig out some space beneath us? Then we could bury the beast. Might slow him down, if we're lucky."

        Again the Welsh boy surveyed the destruction that had been wrought. Clearly, they weren't lucky. What the hell was this thing anyway? A SPB criminal who turned into a three meter red beastie-well, Gwyn figured he'd have heard of that one.
        [I]Any sound can shake the air. My voice shakes the heart![/I]

        Comment


        • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #17: Distract

          While Lex and Kirstie have some undoubtably touching scene, Fluxx approaches Venefica. "You transmute one chemical into anozer, yes. And I bet you do it instinctively razer zan knowing ze chemical compounds involved." He will wait for her confirmation. "We will need to shut zis man's consciousness down quickly. 'E could use ze ztreat of turning ze swords upon innocents 'ostage against our attacking 'im. Our recourse is surprise and disabling 'is zought processes."

          "'Ave you any experience wiz Ketamine? It is an aneszetic zat strengzens neuronal inhibition by binding to membrane proteins zat keep ze electrical activity of neurons in check. It's net effect is to reduce overall brain activity or shut it down completely... Ummm... Anyway... My ability to create chemicals in combat situations is not ze greatest. If I gave you a small sample could you replicate it en mas? I can zen store it in a pocket inside my body for use on ze man when we find him."
          Fluxx looks expectantly at the other student.

          Comment


          • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #17: Distract

            STEPHANSPLATZ (Magnitude; NPCs: Durendal, Thorn)
            "Ja, go in first, but be cautious. I realize you believe you are invulnerable to harm, but don't underestimate them."

            Had Magnitude's vision not long ago been taken from him, he would have seen the Frenchman blush. "Of course," Durendal said. "I apologize for my 'ubris." He put a thumb into the indentation in the manhole cover; it was meant for a pry bar to bring it up, but he raised the heavy metal lid with just that. "I am relatively knew to all of zis. I 'ave stopped a few small crimes, true, but my experience dealing wiz superpowered criminals 'as been limited."

            Durendal levitated down into the sewer, still talking to the pair of New Vindicators. "I realize zat zis may not put you at ease, but... everyone 'as to start somewhere, yes? I 'ave zis power--I must do something wiz it, no?"

            <<"H-hello?">> someone asked from the sewers. While little light reached them, Magnitude could make them out clearly: about twelve people, huddled together in the tunnels. From the way their faces were contorted and their body language, these people were clearly afraid--terrified.

            <<"Please!">> another pleaded in German. <<"You have to get us out of here before they come back!">>

            SCHÖNBRUNN PALACE (Shiver; NPCs: Diamond Dust and Larrikin)
            "I could turn myself invisible," Larrikin said, "but then I won't be much help to you two..."

            "You're not much help to us either way," snapped Diamond Dust angrily. "You never should have come! You're only in the way!"

            Larrikin tried to hide the pain he felt at the words. He tried, and only partially succeeded. "Well, I'll... I'll just..."

            Shiver reappeared as Larrikin turned transparent.

            ALLGEMEINES KRANKENHAUS (Current and Fluxx; NPCs: Fuchs, Murphy, Parabola, Police, Venefica, Verve)
            "What's 'appened so far?" Fluxx asked. He looked over the others and saw Current's injuries. "Cleave!" A ripple went through his entire body as he hissed the word. For a moment, he looked on edge--almost murderous. A second later, he was extending a hand to Current. "Do you wish repair?"

            "I really do," grunted Current. "I think it nicked a lung."

            Leaning in towards his classmate, Current dropped his voice to a whisper. "You need a second? I can wait."

            When the Frenchman assured him he was fine, he set about to the task at hand: healing. "It nicked a bone," Fluxx reported. "I 'ave a piece of calcium carbonate... chalk... zat I can repurpose to repair ze bone."

            Once he was done, Current set about to briefing the newcomers: "The swords are at every entrance or exit. Apparently they only try to attack if you attack them or try to leave the room where they are; they won't follow if you manage to get outside, but that's easier said than done. They move from spot to spot at a decent clip, but they're like a goddamn weed whacker when they get close. It seemed like it was going for trusts to the torso or slashes at the neck. It's really hard to hit because they seem like they're flying around... 'cept they're not. They actually float along like an invisible person is holding onto them, so they never really move too high or too low, and always around this level." He waved his hand to show them all what he meant. "Makes it easier to hit them. Not sure how tough they are. I've been hitting them with as much hot plasma as I can manage and so far they've gone down when I've managed to hit."

            His grimace deepened. "The SWAT team that went in didn't make it," he said. "Didn't do so well on my first encounter either." He glanced down at where the wound had been. "And nobody knows where..." He raised an eyebrow at Martin. "...Cleave? Well, nobody knows where the psycho who's doing this is but he's in the hospital still killing people."

            "I know what Cleave smells like. Lex, if I surround you, you and I can shift between floors. You can move quickly around a floor and I can smell for ze man."

            Parabola made a face. Current's father took a small step away. Verve didn't appear to have noticed: her focus was on the hospital. Venefica looked impressed. Fuchs looked about to vomit.

            "Sounds good," Current said, eyeing Fluxx strangely, "but I want to see if the others can be evacuating the hostages while we confront him. That way all our eggs aren't in one basket. I'm working with no real information but here's what I'm thinking: we need to get people out, but we need to find the person responsible and get rid of him before he starts doing something worse. I'm thinking Dad and Parabola can join up with a couple police officers, and start trying to pick off the swords from outside the building. These things don't seem very bright; maybe we'll get lucky and they'll come out one at a time as long as you're all focused on one target at a time.

            "We'd better test that theory first with all of us as backup. If I'm right then the cops and our duo can try to repeat the procedure at the next entrance. While they start on the next one, me and Fluxx enter the building with a couple of cops. As long as we don't run into a sword on patrol or the man in charge we should be able to avoid fighting, as long as we don't enter a room with a sword. Cops help move people we find outside. If we get into a fight, the others retreat; Fluxx and me take the lead. Our primary goal is taking out, uh, Cleave."

            Again, Fluxx suggested encompassing Current's body and helping him permeate the building floor-by-floor. "Cops would not be able to keep up," he said. "If we are truly concerned wiz ending 'im, we should do zat." Roger Murphy flashed Fluxx a shocked look.

            "Shouldn't take more than two minutes to do that, then we can find him and end him." He didn't notice the look his father gave him. "What do you think?"

            "I do not want to wait zat long. I've seen 'im generate and animate weapons. In two minutes 'e could 'ave an army. If 'e 'as mental communication wiz 'is blades zen 'e already knows we 'ave breached ze entrance guards and is likely doing just zat. We must do zis right away. Ze ozers do not need our coordination to take on ze ozer entrances. We can trust zem to 'andle zat, yes?"

            The sight of the expectant look on Fluxx's face made Current scowl. "Did I mention the SWAT team?" he asked. "Those swords are deadly." When no one took the bait, the youth sighed. "Dammit. Alright, we'll try it your way... Venefica, I'm thinking you could be a lot of help with the medics, if that's alright by you."

            The senior shrugged apathetically. "Whatever you guys want me to do, I'll do it."

            Current looked to the freshman next. "Verve, I'd rather have you outside. You see what they did to me, and I think I'm faster than you." He shrugged apologetically. "Plus you don't have anything that'll hurt a sword... but you have a lot of experience with weird crap, and your powers might help people carrying the wounded out in a hurry." He locked eyes with her, and said his next words slowly, hoping the gravity of their situation would sink in. "This time you are not a fighter; you are search and rescue. You would be saving survivors, and sticking with whoever comes in with us. If a fight starts your job--your responsibility--is take the others, and you make sure they escape safely."

            Verve looked away and nodded glumly.

            Lastly, Current turned to his girlfriend and pulled her into a kiss. "Don't do anything I'd do, ya know?"

            She smirked at him. "Considering that you've been shot how many times? And now we can add 'run through by swords' to the list?"

            He grinned. "Wish me luck."

            She shook her head and looked to Fluxx. He was talking to Venefica. "Bring him back in one piece, or I'll wipe France off the map. Got it?"

            "Son?" Current turned and found his father fixing him with a serious stare. He turned that gaze on Fluxx, too. "Martin? When you boys find this man... Whatever he's done, or whatever he does... No matter how dark this gets before it's finished, you both promise me right here and now that neither of you will sink to his level. I don't much like hearing either of you say you're going to 'end' someone--anyone, you hear? I know I'm not your father, Martin, but he's not hear to tell you this, so... you'll excuse me for speaking on his behalf.

            "I don't care how many lives this man's claimed, and I don't care how many you're afraid he may take in the future. I don't care how deep he crawls under your skin... You. Do not. End. Him. It's a damn easy think to take a life, and a hell of a lot harder to live with yourself when you do." His gaze bored holes through both of them. "This is the part where you say 'Yes, sir' and go be heroes."

            NVAE: WRECK ROOM (Ursa; NPCs: Newton, Niloticus, Pachyderm, Prodigy, Sprite, Sublime)
            As Ursa, Eiron, and the Pachyderm lugged the unconscious Niloticus into the Wreck Room, Prodigy's eyes fell on them. "Everyone get away from her!" He remembered his fight with Niloticus all too well...

            "Let me spell it out for you, Jason! Because you'll never figure it out on your own!" As Niloticus continued to boast, Prodigy moved to execute his plan of attack: he dove into the ship and fiddled with the controls, seeking a means to open the airlock that kept the water in. "Niloticus and Erudite both under my control!" With the click of a button, the lagoon was flushed out of the island and onto an unsuspecting Vienna. "And as soon as your partner fulfills the trigger I've given him, so will he!"

            He remembered that Niloticus had not been acting of his own volition, but was rather another of his mad sister's puppets... and that was a trait that made him more dangerous that all those teeth did.

            "Mister Ashworth?" he asked. Prodigy had dispatched the headmistress to prepare to do some damage control. This many superpowered brawls across the city was going to evoke the ire of the public; hopefully, it wouldn't counteract all of the good the Volunteers had done in improving public perception of Neo-Sapiens, and of the school. In her steady, Ashworth seemed the best choice to man the Wreck Room controls. "Please contain Niloticus, and make sure she can't see out of the cell. Eve, find Emily, and tell her that her presence is urgently needed out here."

            "What's going on?" Sprite asked as walls went up around the unconscious beast.

            "Niloticus' real name is Gustav," Prodigy said. "I met his father a few months ago. He's a man who protects Cairo as a vigilante known as Sobek. Gustav is only seventeen-years-old. Last summer, he disappeared. Not a word to his parents--he just left...

            "When we fought on the island, I learned that Niloticus was under Lacuna's control. I deduced that Lacuna no doubt took him from his home, and has been controlling him ever since. First and foremost, we need to make sure Niloticus can't see any of us. If he can, Lacuna can begin planting seeds... if she hasn't begun to do so already. Second, we need to free Gustav from my sister." Right on cue, Catalyst returned to the room. "Niloticus attacked," Prodigy explained to her. "We need to exorcise my sister, and hopefully bring an end to her madness once and for all."

            PRATER (Blue Knight; NPCs: Catargi, Felsic, Mezzanine, Ogre)
            The instant Blue Knight stepped on Ogre's back, the behemoth moved to buck him off.

            Originally posted by Michuru81
            I considered having us roll a new initiative order, but that would set a precedence for us doing that every time Ogre is dropped and gets back up, which potentially... could happen a lot.

            The Order: Round Three
            • Felsic (20): Bruised, Injured, Staggered, Disabled
            • Ogre (17): Prone (-4 Defense); Bruised x2
            • Blue Knight (7)


            BK is readying an action, to move when Ogre moves. Ogre is moving. BK gets to take a standard action from R2, then (potentially) Ogre, followed by BK.
            KUNSTISTORISCHES MUSEUM (Greystone; NPCs: Candyman, Maze, Pict)
            "I don't think we have a better plan," Candyman said. "Let us move to-"

            There was a flash of yellow flames as Caballero came charging out of thin air. "I'm back!" he said, surprised to find himself once more in the museum. "Labyrinth's are easy to solve when you charge through the walls..."

            HUNDERTWASSER HOUSE (NPCs: Fiore, Gae'bolg, Kiln, Robor)
            Kiln was grounded. The pollen had brought him down, and left him unable to do much more think out loud.

            If they were going to pull through this, Fiore had to do something... "Fight him, Randy!" he snapped. "Remember what this monster did to your sisters! Don't let him control you!"

            Gae'bolg's limbs were raised, ready to strike the Italian. "Change back!" Fiore commanded.

            As Gae'bolg began to shift back into a human form, the flowers Robor created sprayed Kiln again. Gae'bolg was oblivious to Kiln's hacking cough; he couldn't remember anything that had happened, and struggled to process everything. "Fiore? What did I... Da."

            "He's powerful," Fiore said. "I didn't think I'd be able to wrest control of you away, but... Randy, we need to find your dad."

            Gae'bolg nodded and closed his eyes. He began to search for his father. In his desperation, he pushed himself and his abilities as far as he could, and in the end... "I know where he is..." Gae'bolg said. "Your nay gonna believe this... This is a distraction!"

            "Si," Fiore said, "to draw us away from the school-"

            "No!" Gae'bolg exclaimed. "This! This whole thing is a distraction! My da's not even here, Fiore! He's in the sandstorm!"

            Originally posted by Michuru81
            The Order: Round Three
            • Kiln (23): Dazed (R2), Stunned (Robor, R3)
            • Fiore (21): Bruised, Injured
            • Robor (14)
            • Gae'bolg (7)


            Kiln's recovery check (DC 24) (1d20+4=7)

            Fiore's going to try and fight Robor for control of Randy: Fiore's Power Check (1d20+10=29) vs. Robor's Power Check (1d20+14=22)

            Robor will try and Stun Kiln again: Robor's attack roll (1d20+6=18) Hits: Kiln's Fortitude save (DC 24) (1d20+3=16)

            I hope no one will mind me treating Randy as a PC for this, to make use of the three ranks of Luck Manintights gave him. Randy can search a twenty mile radius for his dad. That would take five hours, though. He'll instead search a mile, which should take him twenty minutes. We can take that down to a full-round action by adding +15 to the DC (making it DC 25). Randy can burn a hero point to get 5 ranks of Search with Beginner's Luck, bringing his bonus to +6. He can also surge to get +2, bringing that up to +8. Gae'bolg's Search check (DC 25) (1d20+8=15) We're invested, so we'll reroll that... Gae'bolg's Search check (DC 25) (1d20+8=27)

            Lastly, we'll burn the last hero point to eliminate the fatigue from surging.
            NVAE: HALLWAY (NPCs: Newton, Warder)
            "All right," the elephant in the room said to the bear, "help me lug him back..."

            With his tusks under Niloticus' arms, the Pachyderm was able to drag him down the hallway. Ursa helped as best he could, but with paws in lieu of hands, grabbing the leathery-skinned beast was a challenge. Eiron shrank down and slipped under the creature, helping to carry him to the Wreck Room.

            With Sprite bringing up the rear, only Warder remained to safeguard the headmaster, still bound to the neck in a tangle of vines. "Dag, please," Newton pleaded, "people are getting hurt out there. This could all be prevented if you'd just free me..."

            "That's not happening, sir. We all made a decision to-" He cut off then, realizing that someone was coming down the stairs. In seconds, a figure in a black trench coat stepped down onto the floor. A man with blonde hair regarded the duo coolly. "You must be Siegfried," Warder said.

            "And you must be Dag Schenkenberg." The man was holding a spear. "A little bird told me you're an Æsir."

            Warder looked confused.

            "Æsir," Siegfried said, approaching them slowly, "is a type of super-powered being. Like Neo-Sapiens, they get their powers from their parents. However, they get a little more out of the deal... When they die, they come back. How long it takes varies... Some, a week. Some, a day. I've seen some come back to life seconds after being killed."

            "I didn't die!" Warder screamed. "No one can come back from the dead!"

            Siegfried shook his head. "You didn't survive the plane crash, Dag. You died. Isaac here knew what you were and postponed the funeral arrangements until you came back to life."

            "That's absurd!"

            "You go to school with a boy who can turn into a cloud of ice crystals and a girl who shoots yellow flames from her mouth that transport people to a pocket dimension! I, myself, am well over a thousand years old! How is it absurd that you came back from the dead?" The man sighed then. "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not." He shifted his stance, training the spear on the young boy. "In a few more moments, neither you, nor your headmaster will be breathing."

            "I wouldn't do that if I were you."

            Siegfried froze as Tallemaja rose up from the floor. "Mary!" Warder excitedly exclaimed.

            The enchantress ignored him. "It's over, Siegfried. I've beaten you."

            Siegfried eyed her suspiciously. "What are you talking about?"

            "Attack them--either of them--and it may very well be the last thing you ever do. Isn't that right, Elizabeth?"

            Inside of the vines, Newton began to shapeshift into the body of Elizabeth Lamperouge.

            "You look confused, Siegfried. Shall I explain?" A smirk touched Tallemaja's lips. "Martin came to me this morning, and told me what he'd seen. He began to morph into everyone he'd seen. It didn't make sense until I saw you. I recognized you right away, even if he did not. Erudite was very interested in you. Your actions may be covert, but you didn't sneak under our radar. We saw how much of a key player you were in the world, Siegfried. We knew you were a wildcard we couldn't discount.

            "I conjectured that you were after the headmaster's life. He's a fairly public figure, and while the rest of the world may not believe he's THE Isaac Newton, I figured you knew. Honestly, I couldn't perceive anything else that would cause you to target the school... especially when you began planning against all of the heavy hitters. I knew what you were doing, and I got right to work.

            "I moved to incapacitate the headmaster, and had Elle Curie take his appearance. It wouldn't be enough for her to simply look the part, however. Elle allowed me to put her under a magically-induced hypnosis, however. She fully believed she was the headmaster, and acted exactly as he would have. I was even able to enchant the real Newton to feed me any passwords he was keeping. It wouldn't do it Elle tried to hail dispatch on the communicators and didn't know his code words.

            "Next, I contacted Niloticus. A bait and switch would mean nothing: you'd killed Elle, realize the ruse when she reverted to her natural form upon dying, and proceed to seek out the real Newton. Nothing would have been rectified that way... Niloticus, however, was possessed by Lacuna. All I needed was for Lacuna to be able to get close enough to Newton to plant a seed. I decided the trigger: 'when threatened by Siegfried.' The instant you pointed that spear Elle's way, Lacuna took over, and planted a seed inside of you.

            "Attack anyone and the seed will take root. Sure, you may be strong enough to fight her possession, but if you're not? Lacuna will never let go of you, Siegfried. She'd be immortal--capable of sowing her seeds across the ages. She'd turn you into the very thing you hate: an immortal who toys with humanity. So, how worth it is to roll the dice? Is killing Newton really worth becoming the very thing you oppose?"

            At the sight of the enraged look on the timeless man's face, Tallemaja grinned. "Checkmate."
            Armada Status

            Comment


            • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #17: Distract

              She shook her head and looked to Fluxx. He was talking to Venefica. "Bring him back in one piece, or I'll wipe France off the map. Got it?"


              Fluxx smirked but nodded his acquiescence.


              "... I know I'm not your father, Martin, but he's not hear to tell you this, so... you'll excuse me for speaking on his behalf...."


              Martin could only think of how he absorbed his father's bio-mass then later shattered the man's psyche into thousands of non-threatening pieces. He idly wondered if he should mention that now.

              "I don't care how many lives this man's claimed, and I don't care how many you're afraid he may take in the future. I don't care how deep he crawls under your skin... You. Do not. End. Him. It's a damn easy think to take a life, and a hell of a lot harder to live with yourself when you do." His gaze bored holes through both of them. "This is the part where you say 'Yes, sir' and go be heroes."
              "Yes, sir." he says quickly and possibly disingenuously. He turns from the man almost as quickly.


              "Venefica, was I correct about your powers? Can you assist in ze way I desire?" Fluxx inquired with some haste. Time was of the essence.

              Comment


              • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #17: Distract

                Greystone:
                [Jack Rexroth]
                HP: 2

                "I don't think we have a better plan," Candyman said. "Let us move to-"

                There was a flash of yellow flames as Caballero came charging out of thin air. "I'm back!" he said, surprised to find himself once more in the museum. "Labyrinth's are easy to solve when you charge through the walls..."
                Jack gritted his teeth, this was the last thing they needed he thought as his face returned to normal and his hand turned into claws. But instead of his usual elongated nail-like make up this time the American's fingers looked more like a collection of scorpion tails. "Alright, the hard way it is!" Jack yelled as he flew at not-Viktor, aiming his hands for the Spaniard's always running mouth.



                OOC:
                Jack's Initiative: _: 1D20+4 = [12]+4 =16

                Shapeshift Setup:
                Dragon Scales: [4 pts] Protection 4
                Dragon Wings [4 pts]: Flight 4 (Flaw: Limited [Winged])
                Poison Claws [19 pts]: Strike 6 (Power Feats: Improved Critical 4, Mighty) & Drain Constitution 8

                Then Surge to move towards not-Viktor and attack. Jack's Attack Roll: _: 1D20+8 = [14]+8 =22. So that's a Toughness DC 23 and a Fortitude DC 13, I got a nasty feeling not-Viktor is going to make them both but I'll try for it since I'm trying to specifically target the inside of not-Viktor's mouth which I'm kind of hoping won't be as hard to injure as his skin.
                ~here's to hair-brained plans~
                Last edited by Tattooedman; 18th October 2014, 11:21 AM.

                Comment


                • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #17: Distract

                  The Blue Knight

                  Gwyn's eyes bulged as the monster he stood upon began to stand up. He'd expected it to wake up, but not this fast!

                  Still, he was trained, and he was ready. Plus, he idn't have to do much. Gwyn swung his claymore down through the beast, waving one hand urgently at Felsic.

                  "Get back!" In her lava form, the thing had sent her flying. Unprotected, it could squish her like a bug.

                  Held attack roll with Will Strike 1d20+5=20 DC 26 again.
                  [I]Any sound can shake the air. My voice shakes the heart![/I]

                  Comment


                  • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #17: Distract

                    Alex "Current" Murphy
                    HP: 1 CND: Fatigued

                    Lex
                    sighed, "Da-ad."

                    He looked over at his Dad, "I'm not going to hold back, 'cause he sure ain't gonna be. But he surrenders, or falls over, we're not going to kill him."

                    "Jeez,"
                    He rolls his eyes, "The police can take him and give him the chair or stick him in a hole or something."

                    "'Sides," Lex says with sniff, "Dying is too good for this guy. Then he'd never get to regret what he'd done. I want him alone in a cell with nowhere to go realizing he done f-" Lex coughs as he remembers who it is he's talking to and quickly says, "Goofed."

                    Comment


                    • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #17: Distract

                      Violet Lear
                      HP: 2

                      Violet glared at Jouzas. "You haven't done anything either. We have to stay level-headed."

                      "Don't leave Larrikin. We may still find a way for you to help."

                      Comment


                      • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #17: Distract

                        Magnitude
                        Kasimir Flaegler
                        HP 1 LP 1


                        Kas took note of the crowd of people within the tunnel cowering in fear. Damn. They hadn't spotted any civilians and he'd been hoping they'd fled. Instead they were huddled underground. Perhaps even placed there by the enemy in an effort to force whichever students responded into a restricted combat zone filled with victims the assailants wouldn't worry about but, the cadets would.

                        "Gott." He swore quietly. He wasn't the type to remain indecisive for long though.

                        "Alle sind sie hier richtig! Klettern an der oberflache. Schnell!*"

                        Turning to Durendal Kas gestured down the tunnel. "Guard their rear. I will watch the other direction and on the surface. Thorn keep your eyes open. After we get them out I want you to be ready to blanket this tunnel in whatever algae or fungus is down here."

                        *"Everbody come over here! Climb to the surface. Hurry!"

                        Comment


                        • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #17: Distract

                          Ursa
                          HP: 0

                          As soon as Prodigy explained what they were dealing with, Otso shifted his grip on the unconscious Niloticus to cover his eyes with one massive paw. It made moving slightly more awkward but that was a trade he was willing to make to ensure the Esper wouldn't be able to use her powers. After they had gotten the reptilian NS into the cell, Otso spoke in a low, rumbling voice. "I don't know if you can hear me in there Gustav, but my name is Otso. We'll do everything we can to get that witch out of you, I promise. You will be free."

                          Otso stepped away from the door, looking awkwardly around at the others. This latest crisis had brought his self-imposed exile to an end prematurely. He'd just have to hold on as best as he could until it was over. He lumbered over to where Prodigy was talking with Catalyst. "You're power worked better up close than at range, right? Do you need me to hold him down for you, in case he wakes up?"
                          Otso Karell, codenamed Ursa, on New Vindicators Academy of Europe.

                          Comment


                          • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #17: Distract

                            ALLGEMEINES KRANKENHAUS (Current and Fluxx; NPCs: Fuchs, Murphy, Parabola, Police, Venefica, Verve)
                            Fluxx turned to Venefica, once Current looked to Verve. "You transmute one chemical into anozer, yes?" he asked. "And I bet you do it instinctively razer zan knowing ze chemical compounds involved."

                            "Kind of," the American girl said. "I can only transmute something into a poison, and it's not instinctive. I have to know what I want. Why? What are you thinking?"

                            "We will need to shut zis man's consciousness down quickly. 'E could use ze ztreat of turning ze swords upon innocents 'ostage against our attacking 'im. Our recourse is surprise and disabling 'is zought processes. 'Ave you any experience wiz Ketamine? It is-

                            "It's an anesthesia," she said. "It's also used to treat depression."

                            "My ability to create chemicals in combat situations is not ze greatest. Could you replicate it en mas? I can zen store it in a pocket inside my body for use on ze man when we find him."

                            "How much mass are we talking?" she asked.

                            As he opened his mouth to explain, he caught sight of Parabola glaring at him. "Bring him back in one piece, or I'll wipe France off the map. Got it?"

                            Fluxx smirked, but nodded to her. Again, he moved to explain to Venefica, and again he was interrupted. "Son? Martin?" Current's father looked at them sternly. "When you boys find this man... Whatever he's done, or whatever he does... No matter how dark this gets before it's finished, you both promise me right here and now that neither of you will sink to his level. I don't much like hearing either of you say you're going to 'end' someone--anyone, you hear? I know I'm not your father, Martin, but he's not hear to tell you this, so... you'll excuse me for speaking on his behalf.

                            "I don't care how many lives this man's claimed, and I don't care how many you're afraid he may take in the future. I don't care how deep he crawls under your skin... You. Do not. End. Him. It's a damn easy think to take a life, and a hell of a lot harder to live with yourself when you do." His gaze bored holes through both of them. "This is the part where you say 'Yes, sir' and go be heroes."

                            "Yes, sir," Fluxx said disingenuously. As quickly as he said it, he turned away faster.

                            Venefica had made her way to one of the rescue workers, and had retrieved a bottle of water from him. She quickly unscrewed the cap and poked her finger inside. "Here you go," she said, putting the cap back on. "Is that enough for you?"

                            Originally posted by Michuru81
                            KUNSTISTORISCHES MUSEUM (Greystone; NPCs: Candyman, Maze, Pict)
                            Greystone watched as Caballero shrugged off his attack with relative ease. "Greystone! Electric eel!" Pict shouted to the tattooed teen. "Viktor's invulnerability is useless against energy attacks!"

                            The Spaniard shot the Vindicator a glare that said he was right: Pict knew Viktor DeGallow's weakness, and Caballero did not like having that broadcast to his enemies. Charging for Pict, Caballero dodged the fireballs the man hurled from his neck, as well as the jet of yellow flames unleashed from Maze's mouth. The Spaniard collided with Pict and threw him on his back, onto to change course, and head straight for Maze.

                            Without hesitation, Candyman planted himself between his ex-girlfriend and certain danger. In his candied form, his gummy physique absorbed some of the impact, but not enough to put him in the same situation Pict was in. Again, Caballero ricocheted--this time speeding towards Greystone. The American easily jumped out of the path of the attack and watched as Caballero hurried past him.

                            "He's making room to charge!" Candyman shouted as he got to his feet. His arms stretched suddenly, reaching across the debris-strewn room to grab onto Caballero. Taffy-like arms began to coil around the doppelganger. "See, your problem is, you have the same face as someone I went to school with." Candyman's body was reeled in towards Caballero, as he moved to pin him to the ground. "Same face, same powers, same tactics... I must assume you have the same weakness as well!" His sticky, stretchy limbs began to tighten around Caballero's neck. "You may be invincible, but you still need to breathe."

                            Blackguard shot into the room on crimson wings. He took careful aim on the Romanian youth suffocating his partner, and unleashed a jet of spectral flames for the hero. "Yes," he said as Candyman let out a cry of pain, "he needs to breathe... and you need to learn to watch your back."

                            Originally posted by Michuru81
                            The Order: Round One
                            • Blackguard (16 [+6])
                            • Greystone (16 [+4])
                            • Pict (14): Prone
                            • Maze (9): Prone
                            • Caballero (8): -6 Defense; Pinned; Suffocating (R1)
                            • Candyman (3): Bruised, Injured, Stunned (Blackguard, R2)


                            Round One!
                            Blackguard will move.

                            Caballero's impervious will absorb the blow, but the drain will hit him: Caballero's Fortitude save (DC 18) (1d20+7=27) Wow... Okay...

                            Pict's Attack (1d20+4=5) Yeesh.

                            Maze's Attack (1d20+8=9) Double yeesh.

                            Caballero is going to overrun Pict. We'll use it as a charge, and take an aggressive stance: Caballero's Attack (Aggressive Charge) (1d20+8=18) There we go. Caballero's Trip (1d20+14=29) vs. Pict's Trip (1d20+3=10)

                            Pict is down, letting Caballero try again on someone else. I'm going to have him run at Maze, but Candyman is going to interpose. Caballero's Attack (Aggressive Charge) (1d20+8=12) Flat-footed, that'll hit Vlad. Since HH tacked Impact Resistant onto Vlad's Bouncing, and since Caballero's trips are him ramming into people, I'm going to say Vlad cuts the power of this one down a smidge. Caballero's Trip (1d20+8=27) vs. Candyman's Trip (1d20+7=15)

                            Vlad is down, so we can overrun again. I should have drawn up a map for this fight (I should for all of them), but since Vlad was able to interpose for Ellen, he had to be within 5' of her, and Caballero needs 10' to charge/overrun, so... we'll go for Jack: Caballero's Attack (Aggressive Charge) (1d20+8=11) Misses. He'll continue to use his move to get some room, so that he can start slamming next turn.

                            Candyman will move action to get up, then try to grapple Caballero: Candyman's Attack (1d20+8=19) HitsCandyman's Grapple (1d20+19=31) vs. Caballero's Grapple (1d20+12=14) Got him. Vlad will pin and administer a chokehold. Actually, he got him better than that... I neglected to apply the penalties Vlad forces on his opponents.

                            Round Two!
                            Blackguard will fly into the room and take a shot on Candyman: Blackguard's Attack (-2 Power Attack) (1d20+6=19) Hits. Candyman's Toughness save (DC 29) (1d20+11=20) Bruised, injured, stunned.

                            Jack's up!
                            PRATER (Blue Knight; NPCs: Catargi, Felsic, Mezzanine, Ogre)
                            Even with his sword piercing the monster, Ogre failed to fall.

                            Originally posted by Michuru81
                            Ogre's Will save (DC 26) (1d20+1=20) Surprisingly, we're not down. Stunned though--that was inevitable--so it is BK's turn again.

                            Ogre does, however, heal again--essentially eliminating what was just done.
                            SCHÖNBRUNN PALACE (Shiver; NPCs: Diamond Dust and Larrikin)
                            The disembodied voice of Diamond Dust sighed. "I know: I let him get under my skin. It won't happen again."

                            "You don't know that," said the transparent Aussie. "The digs he was taking at us? He obviously knows about us--more than our powers--and he's trying to use that. He's good at what he does, mate. He has to be: his powers don't seem to be offensive. I mean... If he could have tore us open, he would have done it. His powers are like mine: they're more suited to supporting a heavy hitter. It's almost... like..."

                            Larrikin trailed off as realization struck him. "He's not here anymore."

                            "What?" asked Diamond Dust.

                            "Think about the map we saw back at the school: this site was the farthest one out, right? And wasn't the whole point of these attacks to lure the heavy hitters away from the school? A guy like Skew... He's not going to be effective on his own, right? So, wouldn't it make sense to create an emergency, wait for someone to respond, torrent them a bit, get their blood boiling, and sneak away to go help one of his mates? Meanwhile, the lot of us are standin' around here with our thumbs up our arses."

                            STEPHANSPLATZ (Magnitude; NPCs: Durendal, Thorn)
                            Inside the sewer, Magnitude was able to feel out their surroundings: the tunnel had been collapsed at both ends, creating a small little pocket where about two dozen people had been imprisoned. Still, there was no sign of either Vitesse. Unless Magnitude missed his guess, they had more of these pockets--and given how popular Stephansplatz was, they likely had more captives as well.

                            Once the last of the captives was freed, Thorn moved to blanket the tunnel in fungus.

                            Suddenly, Thorn gave a scream. "Magnitude!" Durendal cried. They were reacting to something he couldn't see--at least not yet. An instant later, Magnitude sense a woman appear out of thin air, and fall to the ground.

                            NVAE: WRECK ROOM (Ursa; NPCs: Catalyst, Niloticus, Pachyderm, Prodigy, Sprite, Sublime)
                            Ursa looked to Catalyst, who eyed the creature worriedly. "Your power worked better up close than at range, right? Do you need me to hold him down for you, in case he wakes up?"

                            "That would be nice," Catalyst said, "but risky. If Niloticus wakes up, and is able to buck you off? All it takes is one look for Lacuna to plant a seed in you, Otso, and then it'd be me against both of you."

                            "We need for the non-essential people to leave the room," Prodigy said.

                            "We're staying," the Pachyderm said. The elephant tried to lay down as slowly as he could, so as not to crush their captive. Sublime knelt across from Ursa and wrapped her arms around its snout, in order to keep its jaws shut tight.

                            Prodigy looked to Sprite, who shook her head. "I'm not going anywhere," she said. "If he moves, I'll blast him."

                            "If anything," said Sublime, "you're the most non-essential person here, Jay."

                            Catalyst nodded in agreement. "Niloticus is possessed by your sister, and you're sort of a big source of anger for her. It might be better if you weren't in here."

                            She didn't wait for him to leave. She knelt down in front of Niloticus and put her hands on the sides of his face. She closed her eyes and concentrated, only to look up a few moments later. Her breathing had noticeably changed--the effort had taken its toll on her. "Lacuna's too strong..." she growled. "Give me a moment, and I can try again..."

                            Originally posted by Michuru81
                            Catalyst will extra effort for +2 ranks so that she beats Lacuna's Mind Shield, then... Catalyst's power check (1d20+10=26) vs. Niloticus' opposed Will (1d20+15=26)
                            HUNDERTWASSER HOUSE (NPCs: Fiore, Gae'bolg, Kiln, Robor)
                            "First thing's first," Fiore said, "we can't take Kiln with us. You can teleport, right? Get him back to the school."

                            "What about you?" Gae'bolg asked.

                            "I'll hold your father off until you get back," Fiore said. "Now go!"

                            As the two separated, Gae'bolg watched as the flower sprayed Kiln with pollen once more. Though he continued to hack and wheeze, he was far from down.

                            Gae'bolg slipped his arms around the man's midsection and hauled him to his feet. They stumbled forward and into the giant flower, only to tumble out of a tree on the school's front quad.

                            The teen looked at the tree nervously. His father's control was terrifying: from miles away, he was able to influence the growth and control over the fauna, and not only view what was happening there, but communicate with them as though he had been present. If he was this strong, then nothing was preventing him from taking control of this tree, and using it to continue the assault on them.

                            The only reason he hadn't was that he simply did not yet know where his son had gone. It hadn't taken Gae'bolg long to find his father, and he doubted it would take the man half the effort to find him.

                            "Come on, Mister Bradley," Gae'bolg said, slipping an arm around the Vindicator, "let's get down to the infirmary..."

                            Originally posted by Michuru81
                            The Order: Round Four
                            • Kiln (23): Dazed (R2), Stunned (Robor, R3)
                            • Fiore (21): +4 Defense; Bruised, Injured
                            • Robor (14)
                            • Gae'bolg (7)


                            First: Kiln's recovery check (DC 24) (1d20+5=11)

                            Fiore will take a total defense action.

                            Robor's attack (1d20+6=17) and Kiln's Fortitude save (DC 24) (1d20+3=17) Still just dazed.

                            Gae'bolg will grab Kiln and transmit back to the school.
                            NVAE: BRIG (NPCs: Chuck, Gwen, Mikayla)
                            "Let's think about this for a second. Go back to basics: what is magic?"

                            "Shut up," the Welsh girl said.

                            Chuck ignored her. "It's simply the art of commanding reality to bend to your will. The key word here is 'will'. In your case... enchantment is really just your will making changes in a person's mind--how we think, or behave... but, in order to evoke those changes, you first have to overcome the resistance of your target's will."

                            "Shut up!"

                            "In this instance, however, you're dealing with another magus--someone who is used to using his will to bend reality..."

                            "Don't you care at all what happens to Remy!?! He was our teammate!"

                            "He was useful, yes... but he was a problem that was inevitably going to be dealt with. Admittedly, your friends saved me the trouble-"

                            "They didn't take Rembrandt, you idiot! Right now, there are these people attacking the city! Rembrandt and Martin moved to investigate them, and they got the drop on Remy! Not Martin--them!"

                            Chuck shrugged as best he could, shackled to the chair. "It really doesn't matter who-"

                            "But you made such a big deal out of-"

                            "Because it advanced the timetable!" Chuck snapped. "You stupid little girl! Rembrandt continuously warned against a direct assault, and his caution was contagious! You were all more keen to plot and plan than to actually take the initiative! The minute your former allies thought that the Vindicators were moving against us, they were finally willing to make the first move!"

                            Gwen was about to say, "And look where that's gotten you", when she happened to look up, and saw feet coming through the ceiling. Immediately, she realized what was happening. She turned to run, only to find the door had locked behind Catalyst. Pounding on it, she screamed for anyone to help her stop the mages' escape. Seeing how futile it was to call for help, she turned, and faced Dante.

                            She moved her arms to begin to cast, only for Dante to dash at her, and swing his fist into her stomach.

                            Originally posted by Michuru81
                            Gwen's Initiative (1d20=7)
                            Dante's Initiative (1d20+10=12)

                            The Order: Round One
                            • Dante (12)
                            • Gwen (7): Bruised, Stunned (Dante, R1), Staggered


                            Dante's Attack (-3 Power Attack) (1d20+7=23) Hits: Gwen's Toughness save (DC 20) (1d20=8) Bruised, stunned, and staggered.
                            NVAE: HALLWAY (NPCs: Fraction/Lacuna, Siegfried, Tallemaja, Warder)
                            "You're bluffing."

                            Tallemaja shrugged. "Am I? There's a very easy way to find out..."

                            "I am blessed with unfathomable acuity. I can see through your lies, child. You say there's a trigger for this possession? A condition that must be fulfilled? My condition is attacking someone--anyone, am I right?

                            "If your goal was to take over my body, why not set the condition for something I could not control? Taking another step, or inhaling, or blinking would suffice, would it not? No... you're trying to scare me. You want something from me..."

                            "I want for you to halt the attacks on this city, for you to free Tatjana Nelson, and for you to never again darken this institution's doorway."

                            "Two of those things I can grant you," he said shrewdly, "but one is beyond my reach. What has been put into motion I am incapable of stopping. The people I hired? I have no way of communicating with them in the field. Furthermore, given that Martin Curie knew of my plan, they've all been given specific instructions not to listen to me... in the event the boy thinks to impersonate me."

                            "Fine," Tallemaja said. "In that case, tell me how to stop them."

                            Originally posted by Michuru81
                            For later...
                            • 1: Blackguard and Caballero
                            • 2: Cleave
                            • 3: Haboob and Robor
                            • 4: Ogre
                            • 5: The Vitesse Brothers


                            ... (1d5=2)
                            Armada Status

                            Comment


                            • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #17: Distract

                              Violet Lear
                              HP: 2

                              "Well, no offense lads, but there aren't any heavy hitters here."
                              Violet shrugged. "But we're still stuck and Skew could be turning the odds somewhere else." She looked at Jouzas, easily the most experienced of the three.
                              "There's no use staying here. We need to tell the others what's happened."

                              Comment


                              • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #17: Distract

                                Magnitude
                                Kasimir Flaegler
                                HP 1 LP 1


                                Rose screamed in surprise and then plummeted to the ground inside the tunnel. Kas bit back a torrent of profanities. A new player had entered the game. A teleporter. That meant one of three things had happened. The mages' had a teleporter who had now entered the fray, making this a three sided affair. someone had managed to mentally dominate Quintessence, turning his nigh boundless energy control against them or the current group of villains had been joined by their ally...what was his codename again? Skew.

                                Kas was going to guess Skew, since he'd been unable to detect this teleport portal on either end and Quintessences' caused an atmospheric disturbance 'visible' to his spatial mapping senses. More frustrating was the fact that once again, despite the 360 degree area of his spatial mapping, a sense that had more range than most peoples' sight, someone had snuck up on him. Skew was probably sitting 30 feet away inside a car, watching him through the window. It was almost laughable that an enclosed space with a pane of glass could provide someone with perfect concealment from him, but it was true. He had tenfold the sensory range of a normal person, in a spherical radius, yet he could be flummoxed by a simple window.

                                Ugh.

                                Then again, he had a weapon Skew couldn't be prepared for. "Durendal! Nevermind the evacuation! The enemy has deployed a teleporter against us! One capable of redirecting most assaults, but it's unlikely he's prepared for your speed...or the fact you can sense him by his power signature. I will handle the rescue and the speedsters. I need you to track this teleporter down and neutralize him. Try not to make it fatal unless he forces the issue."

                                Did they really think they were going to put him any farther onto his back foot? He wasn't as intellectually gifted as Jason or Martin, but he was no imbecile.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X