Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Vindicators Academy of Europe #25: Jeopardy!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #17: Distract

    NVAE: WRECK ROOM
    Lex left, and Kas shook his head in disgust. "Undoubtedly," he said, turning to the others, "we need a plan and we need one quickly."

    "Then maybe we should all stop for a moment," Prodigy suggested, "and listen to what else Martin has to say. He's seen these people, and has more information..."

    Martin looked to Catalyst first--still worried that some agent of Siegfried's might overhear him. She gave him a nod when she had connected him telepathically with everyone in the room. Zese people 'ave been watching us for months and know most of our abilities. Zey will be ready. Zeir codenames are Haboob, Cleave, Vitesse, Ogre, Robor, Skew, Blackguard and Caballero.

    Some of his classmates' expressions had changed at the mention of some of those names.

    Robor is an Irishman wiz a black shillelagh. I zink he could control plants like our Randy. The remaining two Vitesse brozers are superspeedy French criminals. A man 'oo looks like Viktor DeGallow, and a man 'oo resembles ze 'ero, Paladin of zis world are working togezer. Zey will 'ave powers much like zeir counterparts, I assume. Haboob, a dusky-skinned Afrikaan fellow, is likely responsible for ze sand storm. Ozer capabilities unknown, but 'e seemed shrewd and intelligent.

    Cleave is an Austrian man... Fluxx's face twisted into a sneer, 'E can summon and animate swords. Sadistic. 'E 'urt Tatjana.

    Skew was described by Ursa once: an Englishman wiz a pug-nose. 'E can create portals for offense and defense, Otso wasn't any more specific zan zat. Last, is Ogre. Incongruously, by process of elimination, I believe it eizer to 'be' or 'be controlled by' a girl in her late twenties. She was a waif, and clad in a bodysuit similar to ze Vindicators’ uniforms.

    If this Blackguard's powers are a match for Robert's, Blue Knight thought, he will be able to fly, and summon forth armor, a shield, and a sword of red flames. Well, energy what's like flames. He can also see through-well, almost anything: smoke, darkness, illusions, people that can turn themselves invisible, and he can spot things that are hidden easily, from concealed weapons to hidden bombs.

    "Wonderful," grumbled Diamond Dust aloud, still not used to telepathic conferences.

    And Cleave, continued the Welsh boy, well, his powers match a person I've met before--in another dimension. The swords he controls are deadly, and the man himself was a skilled fighter. Its best to take him out from distance, and with multiple attackers. His swords don't drop when he does, but the sooner he is unconscious, the less swords he can make.

    Kas nodded. With that information passed on, they were free to begin planning aloud, as it seemed several of their classmates weren't keen enough to take advantage of it. "First, the hospital is more in line with Martin's ability to handle, since he can heal any injured health workers. Since there may be survivors who have exhausted themselves fleeing the killers, taking Astrid wouldn't be a horrible idea either."

    Astrid nodded and started towards the door, only to hesitate when she realized Martin wasn't following her.

    "If we can locate Gaspar, his weather controlling abilities would be ideal for countering Haboob's. Lexus would be perfect for instructing him on the error of his ways, mano-a-mano."

    "Pretty sure I saw Gaspar come down here," Lexus said, scanning the room. "I called out to him, but he looked spooked, and skirted off..."

    "I will take care of the earth collapse," Kas said, "since I can remain airborne, away from any treacherous ground and I might want either Rheid or Felsic with me, since their powers would seem to lend them a degree of protection against earthen based disasters."

    Both of the former members of Laputa voiced their agreement with his plan.

    "I think Randy should be part of the group going to Hundertwasser House given it's covered in plants." Jack looked towards the doors Fiore had vanished through. "Maybe Fiore too, if we get him back here."

    Randy's head was hung low. "I'm in," he said. His voice was dripping with misery.

    Rubbing his chin, Kas shrugged. "Somebody needs to act as Newton's bodyguards as well. Someone not immortal, just in case this Siegfreid Volsung has the ability to detect immortals at close range and that merely gains him a new target."

    "I'll be on hand," Dag said. "My powers will warn us to any ambush... Plus, Mary's unaccounted for. I'm not sure I'd be much use in the field, worrying about her..."

    Armande sighed and shook his head at the senior. How could someone whose powers left him in a state of perpetual awareness be so oblivious to what was right under his nose?

    "Rheid's probably the best choice to be a bodyguard for the Headmaster given his powerset," Jack offered.

    "I'm game," Armande said. "With Kas, kicking butt, or here, guarding the school--just tell me where you guys want me."

    "Anyway," Kas said, "I am going to grab a new helmet. It should be ready by now while the rest of you formalize the plan. Then I'm headed off to where I can do the most good."

    "I'll head for Kunsthistorisches Museum," Jack said. "It sounds someone more my style. Along with whoever else wants to go along."

    "I'm in," said Vlad. "It'll be just like our morning workouts."

    He turned at a tap on the shoulder, only to find an irate Ellen Woolf standing behind him. The junior balled her hand into a fist and decked the Romanian boy in the jaw.

    Vlad staggered back from the blow. "I... probably deserved that..." he said.

    Prodigy ignored the lovers' spat. "Lex is probably already at Allgemeines Krankenhaus; Kas is headed for Stephansplatz; Jack's taking Kunsthistorisches Museum; Randy's bound for Hundertwasser House... Assuming Gaspar and Lexus go to Josefstadt, that leaves Schönbrunn Palace, and the Prater. Who do we have?"

    Blue Knight looked at the trio of newcomers. "Who are they?" he surreptitiously asked Jack.

    "Forgive me," the one in the helmet said. "I am Prodigy. This is Catalyst and Candyman. We were students at this school, who left after the debacle with Laputa. I can go into more depth, if you'd like, once we're through this... For now, I think everyone can agree: time is of the essence.[/quote]

    Originally posted by Michuru81
    9:07 AM

    As a reference:
    • Allgemeines Krankenhaus: Current, Parabola, Roger Murphy; (proposed) Fluxx, Verve
    • Hundertwasser House: (proposed) Fiore, Gae'bolg
    • Josefstadt (Haboob): (proposed) Lluvia, Manticore
    • Kunsthistorisches Museum: (proposed) Candyman, Greystone
    • Schönbrunn Palace
    • Stephansplatz: (proposed) Felsic, Magnitude, Rheid
    • Prater


    NEWTON'S GUARDS: Pachyderm, Sprite, Ursa, Vestige, Warder
    VOLUNTEERS: Catalyst, Diamond Dust, Eiron, Felsic, Fey, Fiore, Gae'bolg, Kiln, Larrikin, Lluvia, Manticore, Maze, Mezzanine, Pict, Prodigy, Rheid, Thorn
    NON-COMBATANTS: Aphasia, Fibrosis, Glib, Impasse (treadmill), Leannán Sí, Lullaby, Kikker, Mildew, Nycticebus, Ommatidia, Quail, Quwah, Steve, Troubadour, Venefica, Vestige (infirmary), Zbura
    FACULTY: Ashworth, Benson, Bottom, Carmichael, Catargi, Fischer, Fitzroy, Graves, Katz, Knight, Manuel, Murphy (Lillian), Roberts, Rodriguez, Siege, Sonck, Zlatkovski
    Armada Status

    Comment


    • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #17: Distract

      Magnitude
      Kasimir Flaegler
      HP 1 LP 1


      Kas didn't have to go far, as he practically collided with a UN security officer rushing through the halls with his new helmet. The man rapidly told him the operator who generally worked the Volunteers emergency responses had insisted someone get Kas back online. Kas allowed himself a satisfied grunt and nodded. Spinning directly on his heels, he rushed back into the Wreck Room.

      Call it the result of bad habits gained while leading the Volunteers, but Kas didn't even miss a beat when he re-entered the room.

      "With Lex and Kirstie on their way to the hospital, assuming Martin takes my suggestion, we should be sufficiently represented there."

      "Rheid, I'm afraid I am going to have to ask you to remain here to guard the Headmaster. Of all the available people, you're the most formidable."

      "Pict, you should accompany Jack and Candyman to the Museum. The trio of you present a powerful force and should be able to handle things there."

      "Kiln, you go with Fiore and Gae'bolg. It's plants. You should be able to shift the balance of power there in a heartbeat."

      "Fey, Eiron, you accompany Manticore and Lluvia."

      "Blue Knight, I would propose you lead Maze and Mezzanine against the giant monster in Prater. Miss Catargi, I know you aren't generally a trained combatant, but your vampiric powers could be a game changer against a giant beast, if you're willing to try."

      "Diamond Dust, Shiver and Larrikin should be able to stop the Vitesse brothers at Schonbruun Palace, if they're willing to give it a shot."

      "Prodigy, you should stay here and coordinate our efforts. Your intellect will allow you to move assets where they're of the greatest value."


      Pointing at Felsic and Thorn, he barked; 'You two are with me."

      It was only after he finished he realized he'd essentially hijacked command of the fighting force from Pict. Inwardly he shrugged, if anyone had a problem with his distribution of forces, they would make it known soon enough.

      Yes, Kas has become a bossy S.O.B. He's got SSS (Scott Summers Syndrome.)
      Last edited by Horsenhero; 09-25-2014, 02:03 PM.

      Comment


      • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #17: Distract

        NVAE: WRECK ROOM
        "I should help Jack and Vlad at the museum!" Ellen shouted as Fiore raised his hand.

        "It might be more prudent for my sister to come with Mister Bradley, Randy, and I," the Italian said. "Three plant controllers could surely handle this Robor... Whatever that is."

        "In Celtic mythology," said Randy reluctantly, "Robor was the god of oak trees." His head hung low. Tears were falling from his cheeks and pelting the floor. "This man's real name is Seamus O'Shae. He's my da."

        Fiore rounded on Magnitude then. "Randy can't go!" he exclaimed. "No one should have to fight their own father!"

        Randy brushed the tears away and looked up at them, shaking his head. "I can do it!" he spat. "I know you all think I... I'm clumsy, and I'm a screw up, and I'm weak, and nervous, and I... I can do this! I have to do this! I have to... I have to..."

        Prodigy nodded. "Randy should go," he said. "Just avoid taking your plant form. It's possible your father may be able to control you in it. Other than that... I have doubts about sending Fey and Eiron into a dust storm. If the winds are too strong in there, they'll end up being liabilities."

        Originally posted by Michuru81
        9:08 AM
        Armada Status

        Comment


        • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #17: Distract

          Magnitude
          Kasimir Flaegler
          HP 1 LP 1


          Kas expected some arguments and sure enough, they erupted, but he was resolute. He'd given thought to his choices, as rapidly as they were made. Still, this wasn't the military, people needed to know why, before they would perform their duty.

          "Nein, Fiore, it must be Randy. The only other person I could ask is your sister and I won't risk you getting injured because you're more concerned about her safety than in doing your job. Randy can do it."

          "You must trust me on Eiron and Fey as well. Eiron will be carried into close quarters by Manticore. Lexus will use Buddy as a projectile weapon before engaging Haboob directly. Fey will bolster Lluiva's weather control. Gaspar can tuck her inside his coat if things get too wild, but her powers compliment his perfectly."


          Then he turned to Ellen and he had to struggle not to snap at her lack of discipline after all the time she'd spent with his Volunteers.

          "Candyman is going to be working in close quarters. Both his foes and his allies are ideal under those conditions. You are needed to stop a giant, rampaging monster because your entire team is capable of ranged combat. Ranged combatants are what are needed there and I don't have a great many to choose from, so it's your job. Figure out your issues with your ex-boyfriend later. Right now, pull it together and save lives. If you cannot, you can stay here at the school because Jack, Vlad and Peter don't need any distractions."

          Turning to Harry, he says; "If Ellen opts to shirk her responsibility, I'll give you Felsic. If necessary Thorn and I can handle the building collapses with just the two of us."

          And just for the heck of it...

          Diplomacy ck. 1d20+8=15.

          Comment


          • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #17: Distract



            Originally posted by Michuru81 View Post
            Fiore rounded on Magnitude then. "Randy can't go!" he exclaimed. "No one should have to fight their own father!"

            Gwyn shot Jack a look, one that was both bemused and apologetic.

            "Kas, I hate to say it, but you're gonna have to act as a kind of flying carpet, bringing people where they're needed. Plus, Ellen is not half as good at range as she is in close quarters. She should head to the museum. I'll head to the Prater with Mezzanine if she's coming, if not..."

            He looked to the new hot girl. "Catalyst, ya? Will you come with me, to the Prater, or do you have to stay here cause of that mind stuff?"
            [I]Any sound can shake the air. My voice shakes the heart![/I]

            Comment


            • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #17: Distract

              Alex "Current" Murphy
              HP: 2 CND: Normal

              The problem with knowing something was a trap was that it didn't always mean you could avoid it.

              One nut job was wandering around killing people, if the story was to be believed, and worse he was killing doctors. Specifically the doctors and nurses who weren't willing to put their own life over their patient's.

              These people were heroes and somebody was killing them for no better reason than to get their attention and bog them down.

              It had to be dealt with, and it had to be done quick.

              If he'd had the time he'd have preferred to stick around and get everybody pointed in the right direction with the right crew to back them up. But the fact of the matter was that these people liked to bicker and argue about everything and, again, often having himself in the mix didn't help.

              Truth was there was only two people Lex trusted to be in this fight. Himself and Jack.

              If this guy was wandering around killing people as a distraction then he'd be just as happy to kill anybody who came to stop him. Most of the people in the school weren't equipped for that kind of a fight. Lex wasn't equipped for that fight, but given the options? No way was he going to let somebody like Violet get stuck in this fight. They weren't ready for it, they'd live better without being in it. And if it came to it they had to be willing to go all out.

              No, he'd take that hit himself.

              So, yeah, he'd bailed.

              It was a bad choice out of a handful of worse choices, but sometimes you had to have faith that maybe things would work out without you. Kas was a big name hero out in the public eye, hopefully that translated into being halfway decent in the planning department. And Martin had his head on straight.

              Hopefully they'd pull it together and somebody would send him some high speed help to pull him out of what ever trap he was about to trigger.

              A bitter part in the back of his mind assured him he was SOL.

              And Kirstie was going to be pissed. But what was he supposed to do? Drag her into the middle of this disaster? For once he was just glad he couldn't take her with him. Time was wasting, and at these speeds she would have been dead before he got there.

              There'd be hell to pay if he survived.

              Big if.

              He slowed down as he got close to the hospital to give himself a moment to take in the situation.

              Cops everywhere, shattered glass. It was hard to tell if they'd just been shooting or if they'd been entering the hospital as well.

              For once he wished he had that stupid vindicators uniform. Wearing something like that was more likely to get the cops to hold their fire, and even maybe to talk to him. And at this point any kind of intel would have been helpful.

              But right now with what he was wearing he was just some dumb kid. Stopping to talk to the cops was going to get him the run around, but rushing past them might get him shot.

              He shrugged it off. He'd been shot before.

              Time was wasting and lives were on the line.

              He shot forward, leaping into the air, jumping onto the roof of one car, then the next, then flipping over the crowd to land behind the police line before running for the doors.

              He was quite confident he'd be the most athletic person those cops had ever shot.

              Comment


              • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #17: Distract

                Magnitude
                Kasimir Flaegler
                HP 1 LP 1


                Kas nodded sharply at Harry's response. He had figured most of the teams would need his aid in getting to their assigned duties. He didn't mind too much, though it reduced him to the role of a helicopter. Suddenly he knew how Quintessence must feel.

                "You are correct. There isn't time for debate. Jack, your team has two fliers, so I assume you can carry Candyman and Maze. Get moving and good luck. Everyone else, get close to me when we get outside and I'll gift anyone who needs it with flight equal to mine. As I drop you at your assigned locations you'll lose that flight, so be prepared."

                Miss Catargi, are you coming?"


                Motioning the volunteers to follow him, Kas made his way toward to flight deck. It was going to be quicker to use the hangar to launch out of than take everyone up the elevator.

                Comment


                • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #17: Distract

                  Violet Lear
                  HP: 2


                  Violet had heard about the Vitesse brothers. She felt fortunate that someone experienced like Jouzas would be going with her because she didn't know what she could do against them if they were as fast as advertised. Also, she hadn't had time to change into her uniform but that couldn't be helped now because Kas was already into taking off. She moved over to stand by Jouzas and Larrikin so they would be together when they arrived. "I'm ready." Privately, Violet hoped that she actually was.

                  Comment


                  • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #17: Distract

                    Originally posted by Michuru81 View Post
                    NVAE: WRECK ROOM
                    Randy brushed the tears away and looked up at them, shaking his head. "I can do it!" he spat. "I know you all think I... I'm clumsy, and I'm a screw up, and I'm weak, and nervous, and I... I can do this! I have to do this! I have to... I have to..."

                    Martin winced behind his mask, he hated doing this. "Randy, I believe in you." He said, invoking and reinforcing the mental command Gwen gave the boy earlier.

                    "Venefica, you should come wiz us to ze 'ospital. Your facility wiz drugs could come in 'andy." he assures.

                    Comment


                    • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #17: Distract

                      Could we have the new breakdown of who goes where?
                      .

                      Comment


                      • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #17: Distract

                        Greystone:
                        [Jack Rexroth]
                        HP: 2

                        Fiore rounded on Magnitude then. "Randy can't go!" he exclaimed. "No one should have to fight their own father!"
                        Jack said nothing, but he couldn't help tensing slightly when that was said. He realized that Fiore hadn't considered that just a few months ago that Jack himself had been in that exact position.

                        Gwyn shot Jack a look, one that was both bemused and apologetic.
                        The tattooed American tilted his head to the right slightly, almost like a shrug to show that he understood his friend's look.

                        "You are correct. There isn't time for debate. Jack, your team has two fliers, so I assume you can carry Candyman and Maze. Get moving and good luck. Everyone else, get close to me when we get outside and I'll gift anyone who needs it with flight equal to mine. As I drop you at your assigned locations you'll lose that flight, so be prepared."
                        Jack nodded at Kas. "No problem there, we can handle our transport." He then turned to go and stopped and added one last thought to the overall plan. "Once an area is secured we should move on to the nearest trouble spot, maybe help out another team." With that said Jack moved towards the door to lead his group to the Kunsthistorisches Museum.

                        Comment


                        • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #17: Distract

                          NVAE: WRECK ROOM
                          "Nein, Fiore," said Kas solemnly, "it must be Randy. The only other person I could ask is your sister, and I won't risk you getting injured because you're more concerned about her safety than in doing your job. Randy can do it."

                          Randy brushed the tears away and looked up at them, shaking his head. "I can do it!" he insisted. "I know you all think I... I'm clumsy, and I'm a screw up, and I'm weak, and nervous, and I... I can do this! I have to do this! I have to... I have to..."

                          "Randy," Martin said, "I believe in you."

                          Prodigy nodded. "Randy should go," he said. "Just avoid taking your plant form. It's possible your father may be able to control you in it. Other than that... I have doubts about sending Fey and Eiron into a dust storm. If the winds are too strong in there, they'll end up being liabilities."

                          "You must trust me on Eiron and Fey as well," said Kas. "Eiron will be carried into close quarters by Manticore. Lexus will use Buddy as a projectile weapon before engaging Haboob directly." Lexus cracked his knuckles in anticipation. He was always itching for a fight--for action. Deep down, they had to wonder if it was just him using the surge of adrenaline he got in a fight to ignore having to face the fact that Cornelis was gone. "Fey will bolster Lluiva's weather control. Gaspar can tuck her inside his coat if things get too wild, but her powers compliment his perfectly."

                          Kas rounded on Ellen then. "Candyman is going to be working in close quarters. Both his foes and his allies are ideal under those conditions. You are needed to stop a giant, rampaging monster because your entire team is capable of ranged combat. Ranged combatants are what are needed there and I don't have a great many to choose from, so it's your job. Figure out your issues with your ex-boyfriend later."

                          Pict cleared his throat, then raise his hands as though to gesture to Kas to back down. No doubt he was worried that if Ellen's emotions raged out of control, they could be facing an even greater crisis.

                          "Right now, pull it together and save lives. If you cannot, you can stay here at the school, because Jack, Vlad, and Peter don't need any distractions." Kas turned to Harry then. "If Ellen opts to shirk her responsibility, I'll give you Felsic. If necessary Thorn and I can handle the building collapses with just the two of us."

                          "Kas, I hate to say it, but you're gonna have to act as a kind of flying carpet, bringing people where they're needed. Plus, Ellen is not half as good at range as she is in close quarters. She should head to the museum. I'll head to the Prater with Mezzanine if she's coming, if not..." He looked to the Esper. "Catalyst, ya? Will you come with me, to the Prater, or do you have to stay here cause of that mind stuff?"

                          "Actually, I'm going to work on a different problem. We've got three of the mages in custody. I'm going to work with the one who turned on them, and see if we can't coerce them into liberating the three missing Vindicators. If we can get Mis--Quintessence in the field... we can make short work of this entire operation."

                          Kas mulled over the Welsh teen's suggestions. "You are correct," he admitted. "There isn't time for debate. Jack, your team has two fliers, so I assume you can carry Candyman and Maze. Get moving and good luck."

                          "No problem there," Jack said stoically, "we can handle our transport." Together, the foursome moved to hurry out of the room, but Jack paused, thinking of one more thing: "Once an area is secured, we should move on to the nearest trouble spot--maybe help out another team."

                          Once they left, Kas looked over the others. "Everyone else, get close to me when we get outside, and I'll gift anyone who needs it with flight equal to mine. As I drop you at your assigned locations you'll lose that flight, so be prepared."

                          "I'm ready," Violet said, making her way to join Juozas and Larrikin.

                          "Venefica," Martin said, looking to the American girl, "you should come wiz us to ze 'ospital. Your facility wiz drugs could come in 'andy."

                          A look of alarm flashed on her boyfriend's face. Still, Venefica hesitantly replied, "O-okay..."

                          "Miss Catargi," Kas asked, "are you coming?"

                          The teacher nodded hesitantly. She was not used to finding herself in the thick of battle.

                          Originally posted by Michuru81
                          It will be 9:12 AM when each group (except Lex) arrives at their destination.
                          • Allgemeines Krankenhaus: Current; (en route) Parabola, Roger Murphy; (also en route) Fluxx, Venefica, Verve
                          • Hundertwasser House: (en route) Fiore, Gae'bolg, Kiln
                          • Josefstadt (Haboob): (en route) Eiron, Fey, Lluvia, Manticore
                          • Kunsthistorisches Museum: (en route) Candyman, Greystone, Maze, Pict
                          • Schönbrunn Palace: (en route) Diamond Dust, Larrikin, Shiver
                          • Stephansplatz: (en route) Magnitude, Thorn
                          • Prater: (en route) Blue Knight, Catargi, Felsic, Mezzanine


                          NEWTON'S GUARDS: Pachyderm, Sprite, Ursa, Warder
                          NON-COMBATANTS: Aphasia, Fibrosis, Glib, Impasse (treadmill), Leannán Sí, Lullaby, Kikker, Mildew, Nycticebus, Ommatidia, Quail, Quwah, Steve, Troubadour, Venefica, Vestige (infirmary), Zbura
                          FACULTY: Ashworth, Benson, Bottom, Carmichael, Fischer, Fitzroy, Graves, Katz, Knight, Manuel, Murphy (Lillian), Roberts, Rodriguez, Siege, Sonck, Zlatkovski
                          ALLGEMEINES KRANKENHAUS (Lex)
                          The police began shouting to him in German as he jumped over the line. Before they could do anything though, he was the hospital.

                          Not far in, he found the bodies of several cops. All around them, the lobby was congested with numerous people--civilians, by the look of them--cowering against the walls.

                          Four swords hovered in the air around the room.

                          <<"What are you doing?">> someone whispered in German. <<"Get down you idiot!">>

                          Originally posted by Michuru81
                          9:04

                          Swords' Initiative (1d20+4=8) The swords will do nothing but patrol until attacked, or someone in the room tries to leave. You can easily get a surprise attack in before jumping into combat, where Lex's initiative bonus alone beats their whole roll.

                          As Lex is currently seven minutes ahead of the group, it will be some time before Martin and his group arrive.
                          PRATER (Blue Knight; NPCs: Catargi, Felsic, Mezzanine)
                          Outside of the school, Magnitude took everyone into the air. Prater was the closest site, and the first stop on the list. If he really moved all-out, he could have had the group flying at well over one-thousand miles per hour--the rigors of such travel may have torn them all apart. Fiore was ready, however: leading his sister and Gae'bolg in the process, he commanded the grass to grow around them, forming a makeshift fuselage to protect them as they flew. With Fluxx's help, the strength was strengthened considerably, and then, they were off.

                          As they neared the first location, Fiore guided the group to the back of the bizarre bullet they were riding in. He commanded it to open up, and together the four jumped.

                          As they began to descend, they could see the situation: thick columns of smoke were rising up around the amusement park, and the famous ferris wheel Prater was known for no longer dotted the skyline. A tree exploded up from the ground--flying towards the transport. Magnitude was much faster than it was, and the heroes were out of range well before it could even hope to threaten them.

                          It did, however, give them a location.

                          Originally posted by Michuru81
                          I'm assuming a lot: Kas has Flight 5, meaning 250 MPH. If he moves all out, he gets quadruple that--meaning 1,000 MPH--or 1.6 miles per round. Given the distances between each of the locations, Kas can be there in a few rounds. It takes him about 2 rounds to get to the first, and from there, he'll go to the next closest, and the next closest, and so on.

                          Kas' power only works so long as he's close at hand, so that flight will wear off really quick once they jump. I assume he would get them close to the ground. In this case, BK and Catargi can fly; if Felsic doesn't transform, she could probably be carried; Mezzanine weighs too much to carry, but she can easily survive a fall. Basically, I imagine this group would say not to bother getting close to the ground: just fly by, and let them handle getting to the ground.
                          HUNDERTWASSER HOUSE (NPCs: Fiore, Gae'bolg, Kiln)
                          The next drop off was at Hundertwasser House an apartment building now the epicenter of an entire city block devoured by plant life. As the trio of heroes approached, they saw people embedded into walls of twisting, choking vines--some were reaching out, screaming for help; others were struggling, fighting to get free; an unfortunate few hung limp--their breath stolen by the constricting plants.

                          The landscape was dotted by giant Venus flytraps, still eating their last victims. Treants patrolled the makeshift jungle, swinging large, wooden clubs at those who had escaped the vines.

                          JOSEFSTADT (Eiron, Fey, Lluvia, Manticore)
                          Though the smallest district in Vienna, Josefstadt was a heavily populated one. It's proximity to the university made it a home for many students. It's status as a middle-class neighborhood made it the home of many working-class Austrians.

                          At the present, it's total area of .42 square miles was currently engulfed in a raging sandstorm that the smallest Vindicator and three New Vindicators were left outside of.

                          "Well..." Manticore said uneasily. "Ready to do this?"

                          Lluvia nodded timidly.

                          SCHÖNBRUNN PALACE (Shiver; NPCs: Diamond Dust and Larrikin)
                          Their group was the last to be let off. Standing outside of Schönbrunn Palace, the trio found it to be quiet. Inside, no one was dying. Inside, there was no natural disasters running amok. Inside was only someone--or someones--looting the place so fast, no one had been able to see them. "So, how do we do this?" Diamond Dust asked. "Should we split up?"

                          "Good idea, mate," Larrikin said. "You take the main level, while Violet and I take the master suite." The Australian winked at the young girl.

                          STEPHANSPLATZ (Magnitude; NPCs: Thorn)
                          In the center of Vienna stood Stephansdom, seat of the Archbishop of Vienna, one of the tallest churches in the world.

                          Stood. Past tense.

                          Upon their arrival, Magnitude and Thorn found the cathedral resting on its side. True to its name, Graben was now a trench: the street had collapsed, leaving a ravine running where the shopping district had once stood. Haas House was leaving and half-embedded in the earth: the glass was shattered from its walls.

                          Worse, there was no sign of what had caused this level of devastation.

                          No one on the list of mercenaries Martin had given them seemed to imply an earth controller: it was assumed that Haboob could only summon sandstorms; Cleave summoned animated swords; the Vitesse brothers were speedsters; Skew created teleportation discs; Gwyn suggested that Blackguard was only capable of seeing what few saw; if Caballero was anything like Viktor DeGallow, he certainly wasn't capable of this; Randy said that Robor was his father, and while plant roots might be able to do something like this, it was doubtful he was responsible, given the situation Kiln was currently overseeing.

                          That left Ogre, but surely she had to be responsible for the monster reportedly rampaging at Prater.

                          How had this happened?

                          <<"Hello!">> cried someone in German. The voice came from above. <<"Don't be alarmed! I have come to offer assistance!">>

                          Coming in slow, he kept his hands up as he landed. He wore a snug bodysuit stretched over his perfect physique. A cape fluttered behind him in the wind. He looked like a dashing hero--like some sort of European Superman.

                          Thorn was enchanted at first sight.

                          He extended his hand to Magnitude in greeting. <<"Magnitude is who you are!">> he said, his voice dripping with awe. The smile on his face could not be broader. <<"Pardon me if my German is not the best... I am a great admirer of the Volunteers' work they are doing! My name is Durendal. I am Paris' personal defender. I saw on the news what was happening and came as quick as I could. I would like to help you!">>

                          KUNSTISTORISCHES MUSEUM (Greystone; NPCs: Candyman, Maze, Pict)
                          A red aura was surrounding Maze. Over her were eyes similar to those Greystone had seen hovering over Gwyn. "First you just take off without a word, and then when I see you again, you slip away! What were you thinking!?!"

                          "I was thinking that no one would believe that I was a double agent--that I would be arrested and sentenced to life in Pandora." The aura around Candyman was blue with a red flare around the edge. Over his head was the same teardrop he'd seen over Ursa; Pict had one as well.

                          "None of the others were! Lexus and the others were sent to the school! Even your horrible little sister was let off with nothing more than a slap on the wrist!"

                          "Yes, but I didn't know this at the time..."

                          "And you've been in Vienna how long!?! How long, and you never thought to tell me you were all right? To see me? To call me?"

                          "Tallemaja was still out there. I thought I could be of more use on the outside--tracking her down, and bringing her to justice. When I learned that Prodigy had left the school to help his father recuperate after the Laputa ordeal, I approached him--I needed an ally, and Jason was very keen on cleaning up after the mess his horrible little sister made. He suggested we approach Emily--that she could be convinced that her family would never truly be safe until all of Laputa was brought to justice. Sure enough, she joined us, and we've been trying to set a trap for Tallemaja ever since."

                          "We're here," Pict said, spotting the museum. "Thank God."

                          Greystone and Pict descended to the roof, setting the former couple down on the ground before dropping to it themselves. "We know there's a pair working together," Pict said, "we just don't know which one.

                          "In the event that we're facing the Vitesse brothers, Candyman will act first: coat the floor in syrup to impede their movement. Greystone and I can fly, Maze will have to remain stationary. Stendhal and Tristan have been apprehended. If that's the case..." Pict sighed dejectedly. "Francois is able to burrow with his speed power; Antoine can vibrate his molecules fast enough to turn intangible. Once we have them, we have to hit them hard and fast, because they will get free very quickly. They're opportunistic, too. If they're losing the fight, they will leave.

                          "If we're facing Blackguard and Caballero, Maze should try to contain Caballero while the rest of us work to subdue Blackguard. Once he's down, Candyman will work to restrain him. When Caballero makes it through the maze, the four of us will gang up on him, and remove him from the fight.

                          "Unless anyone else has a better plan?"

                          Originally posted by Michuru81
                          Pict's top speed (all-out) is 400 MPH. In a round, he can move about .6 miles. Translation: it's going to take this group a little bit longer to get to their destination, so we have time--not much, but time--to talk. Still, given that they could get there in ~30 seconds, there's no reason to take the time up for them past where the others are at.
                          NVAE: WRECK ROOM (Prodigy)
                          The others had left, and Prodigy remained. Prodigy, and one other...

                          "I should follow Ellen's example and deck you, you know?"

                          Under his helmet, Prodigy sighed. Why couldn't things ever be easy? "Hello, Eve."

                          "'Hello, Eve'? That's it? After all these months--after how you left without saying goodbye--that's... That's all you have to say?"

                          "It's not like we know each other long enough for there to be any sort of emotional attachment."

                          "Screw you!" Sublime spat. "You know, for a smart guy, you can be pretty dumb. For someone who's supposed to ooze charisma, you can be pretty-"

                          "I'm sorry. I was trying to make you go away, so that I can work on coordinating everyone. Eve, right now, what's going on in this city? What's coming to this school? This is a lot more important than some hurt feelings, so you'll forgive me if I want to focus a little more on this than I do on making you feel better."

                          NVAE: HALLWAY (Newton, Pachyderm, Sprite, Ursa, Warder)
                          Pachyderm looked up as Sprite and Warder returned from changing into their uniforms. "All right, Otso," he said, "I guess it's our turn."

                          "I'll stay," Ursa said, continuing to stare down the hall, anticipating Siegfried's arrival. Tallemaja would be long gone by now, but he still wanted to eat something--someone. Siegfried would suffice.

                          "All quiet on the western front?" Sprite asked.

                          Newton sighed. "You children shouldn't be doing this. If I go out there, this could all be over. How many more people will suffer because of this?"

                          "It's not happening, sir," Warder determinedly said. "We all decided-" He cut off at the same time Ursa began to emit a low growl.

                          "What?" Pachyderm asked, beginning to worry.

                          "Someone's coming," Warder said.

                          "Se haisee," Ursa growled. He couldn't wait any longer. Something was coming for them, and he was going to meet it head on. Without warning, Ursa took off on all fours. He turned the corner and charged up the stairs.

                          Ursa roared, and so did whatever he met--something unleashed a hellish, guttural roar. A moment later, Ursa was flung back down the stairs. There was a gash across his chest, and he looked momentarily dazed.

                          The creature that had hit him sauntered into view then: Niloticus lunged down the stairs to tackle Ursa in his momentary weak state.

                          Originally posted by Michuru81
                          Ursa's attack (+2 charge, +4 All-out Attack, -4 Power Attack) (1d20+8=22)

                          Niloticus' Toughness save (DC 29) (1d20+12=16) Well, that's cripplingly disappointing. Let's fiat and reroll. Hero points for everyone! Niloticus' Toughness save (DC 29) (1d20+12=19) 7 becomes a 17, so 29. Perfect.

                          Niloticus' attack (-5 Power Attack) (1d20+3=10) With the penalties from charging and All-out Attack, that will hit Otso. Toughness save (DC 28) (1d20+10=22) Bruised, injured, stunned, and...

                          Ursa's Grapple (1d20+17=21) vs. Niloticus' Grapple (1d20+19=37)

                          ...Grappled. Niloticus will throw Ursa back down the stairs.

                          Ursa's Initiative (1d20+1=18)
                          Niloticus' Initiative (1d20=5)
                          The Pachyderm's Initiative (1d20+2=11)
                          Sprite's Initiative (1d20+1=14)
                          Warder's Initiative (1d20+18=19) (Wow...)

                          The Order
                          • Warder (19)
                          • Ursa (18)
                          • Sprite (14)
                          • The Pachyderm (11)
                          • Niloticus (5)


                          First round, Warder holds; Ursa is stunned; Sprite holds; Pachyderm holds; Niloticus lunges: Niloticus' Attack (-4 Power Attack) (1d20+4=20)
                          Ursa's Toughness save (DC 27) (1d20+9=12) Injured, Bruised, Stunned, Staggered, Disabled, Dying. Constitution check (DC 10) (1d20+6=15) He lives!
                          NVAE: WRECK ROOM (Catalyst, Chuck, Gwen, Mikayla)
                          "Free the Vindicators!" Catalyst ordered.

                          Chuck stared at her strangely. "No."

                          Gwen began weaving her hands through the air. "Phornasmerc!" she chanted.

                          Chuck shook his head at her. "Who do you think taught you to wield arcana?"

                          Catalyst swore under her breath. "This is hopeless... How are we going to trust him enough to untie him? I mean, if we let him free to cast, and he's faking compliance..."

                          "With me, we'll know," Gwen said.

                          Armada Status

                          Comment


                          • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #17: Distract

                            Alex "Current" Murphy
                            HP: 2 CND: Normal

                            Lex ignored the man for the moment, standing in the open and taking in the scene.

                            Nobody throwing their head back and laughing, "Mwa, ha ha" style which either meant the bad guy wasn't here, or was bucking convention. The flying swords, on the other hand, gave him the heebie jeebies, but at least fit the evil villain M.O.

                            Four on one odds, and no telling how tough these things were. Swords were metallic though, which would probably make it easier to hit. But a smaller target which would make it harder. Not grounded either, he'd have to amp the blasts up so that the plasma destroyed them.

                            "<<I'm>>," Lex hesitated as he realized he didn't know the translation, "The cavalry. <<I'm here to help. What's the situation?>>"

                            He edged over to the downed policemen to see if any of them were still alive, keeping a wary eye on the swords.

                            Comment


                            • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #17: Distract

                              Magnitude
                              Kasimir Flaegler
                              HP 1 LP 1


                              Kas was immediately suspicious of the Frenchman. How could he not be? Still the man had done nothing to warrant any undue hostility. His sudden appearance might be unusual, except Vienna was getting to the point where you couldn't spill a lager without it splashing on some SPB or another. So Kas took the proffered hand, all the while wishing Jack or Harry were here with him. If the trip to the other dimension had taught him anything about his comrades, it was that they were more keen judges of character than he.

                              "Greetings Durendal. This..." He gestured to his companion. "...is Thorn. I don't suppose you witnessed what happened here?"

                              As he spoke, Kas scanned about with his powers, trying to find injured victims or the source of this catastrophe.

                              Sense Motive 1d20+6=25.

                              Notice 1d20+10=24.

                              Crap. Two good rolls right out of the gate. Kas could be doomed.

                              Comment


                              • Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #17: Distract

                                The Blue Knight

                                Carrying Pirjo in his arms, Gwyn was glad his flames hid his face-otherwise she would see that he was turning red. It was one thing to carry people out of immeadiate danger and then place them down, or for longer distances if they were strangers, but when it was someone you knew and would saw everyday at school. To top if off, she was taller than him, so he had to hold her awkwardly like he was her bridegroom. Least she was skinny-he couldn't even knock over Newton's 'daughter' if his life depended on it.

                                The tree gave him a direction to head to, and he did so. He flew close to the down, wings outstretched as he slowed down just enough to let Pirjo step down onto the ground. Once she transformed, he wouldn't be moving her either. He was worried, amped up and tired at the same time-it hadn't been so long he'd been in another dimension, and that was before the Kung Fu Merlin beat him down and Tallemaja showed up.

                                But slaying a giant? That was what knights were for.
                                [I]Any sound can shake the air. My voice shakes the heart![/I]

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X