Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Vindicators Academy of Europe #25: Jeopardy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #21: Double Dare

"Dr. Newton can do a full autopsy. Eets' ze only way to be sure." the distraught Frenchman says. "We must inform ze school and MI-18. Zeir Jack's will 'ave disappeared by now I zink. I must..." he stares at his phone in confusion, not knowing who to dial first.

Comment

Alex "Current" Murphy
      HP: 1 CND: Normal

Lex watches in horror as the events play out.

Unable to think of anything to do, or say, at this moment, he pulls off his hoodie and uses it to cover the face of the dead man before putting a comforting hand on Martin's shoulder.

Comment

Violet Lear
        HP: 1

Violet watched soberly as the group tried to figure out what had happened. "Maybe... maybe this wasn't the real one? Maybe it's a trick."

Comment

Greystone:
          [Jack Rexroth]
          HP: 2

"Dr. Newton can do a full autopsy. Eets' ze only way to be sure." the distraught Frenchman says. "We must inform ze school and MI-18. Zeir Jack's will 'ave disappeared by now I zink. I must..." he stares at his phone in confusion, not knowing who to dial first.
          Turning from his girlfriend, Jack pulled his phone out. "I'll call Newton, he can get in touch with the spooks."

Violet watched soberly as the group tried to figure out what had happened. "Maybe... maybe this wasn't the real one? Maybe it's a trick."
          Jack shook his head as he dialed. "I doubt it. It's hard for me to make one extra, he had two."

Comment

"Do you zink it overtaxed 'im to do so? Or do you zink it was somezing about 'is...." Martin shook his head. "No, no use speculating, let's jus' get ze appropriate auzorities involved."

Hearing and understanding only that Jack was calling Newton, Martin dialed the number that Hall gave him to contact after Other Jack was captured. He would report everything.

Comment

• Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #18: Decompress

Ursa
              HP: 0
              Cnd: Bruised

As the brewing combat suddenly came to a halt, Otso was left holding Beatrice in shock. As the others contacted the authorities he focused on reminding himself that the man lying dead on the forestfloor wasn't really his friend Jack, even though he looked identical to the American.
              Otso Karell, codenamed Ursa, on New Vindicators Academy of Europe.

Comment

LAKE CONSTANCE (Current, Fluxx, Greystone, Imago, Shiver, Ursa; NPCs: Blue Knight, Chimera, Fach, Impasse, Magnitude, Maze, Niloticus, Parabola, Vestige)
                Maze raised an eyebrow. "An apple?" she asked, looking at her boyfriend. "What the hell do apples have to do with anything?"

Greystone gave Fluxx an annoyed look. "Don't look like he has," he told the French teen. Looking back to his girlfriend, he continued slowly. "I know Martin ain't making any sense right now, going on about if OJ had ate some kind of apple, and I'll explain what he means but it’ll have to be once we’re home." He looked the junior straight in the eyes. "I promise."

That seemed to be enough for her; Maze nodded slowly. She looked up and saw Ursa holding Vestige; she wanted Greystone to hold her like that right now, but understood why he couldn't--not with his doppelganger's corpse lying on the ground before them.

"Oh, I have a pretty good idea of what he means," Imago said as Current removed his hoodie. Covering the dead man's face, Current put a hand on his friend's shoulder, joining Fach in comforting him. "Martin, this isn't our Jack," said the illusionist. "He could have had a secret heart condition, or some quirk of biology."

"Dr. Newton can do a full autopsy. Eets' ze only way to be sure. We must inform ze school and MI-18. Zeir Jack's will 'ave disappeared by now I zink. I must..." He took out his phone but didn't unlock it--he just stared at it as if he did not know how to operate it.

"I'll call Newton," Greystone said, digging out his phone. "He can get in touch with the spooks."

"Maybe... maybe this wasn't the real one?" postulated Shiver hopefully. "Maybe it's a trick."

"I doubt it," Greystone said as he dialed. "It's hard for me to make one extra. He had two."

"Do you zink it overtaxed 'im to do so? Or do you zink it was somezing about 'is...." Martin shook his head. "No, no use speculating, let's jus' get ze appropriate auzorities involved."

As Greystone called the school, Maze radioed to the others: Magnitude and Blue Knight descended and Niloticus was summoned back to the surface. Magnitude waited a bit before suggesting he carry everyone back to the school. "It vill be faster than if ve vere to vait for Herr Volonté," he suggested, "as Quintessence is apparently unreachable..."

It was a somber flight back to the school. Once there, Chimera's remains were taken to the sublevel, where Newton and Agent Oates waited. "Doctor Talley will conduct an autopsy," Newton said. His voice was uncharacteristically dark. "Jack? A moment?"

NVAE (Otso; NPCs: Beatrice)
                Once they were back at the school, Beatrice grabbed her boyfriend before either could change out of their uniforms. "Martin asked if ze other Jack ate an apple," she said, her face suddenly very serious. "Jack ate an apple, Otso. An apple zat I almost died for."

He knew precisely what she was talking about: she had come to see him in quarantine, only for Tallemaja to enter. She gave Beatrice the canister before nearly eviscerating her. The canister opened; a golden apple fell out. Jack ate it before Tallemaja could get to it, but that still didn't explain why the apple was so important.

That Martin mentioned it meant it had some significance.

"What are zese apples so important?"

NVAE (Lex; NPCs: Kirstie)
                She'd been so quiet the entire trip back to the school. He had taken it for shock at seeing Chimera die, but when pressed, Kirstie gave it up: "Twice Ellen was able to put me in her maze," she said. "Twice. Lex, she can't do that without breathing fire on someone.

"My powers didn't work against her powers, Lex."

NVAE (Violet; NPCs: Rose)
                She'd changed out her uniform and made her way back to the surface. She'd been back for almost an hour before she ran into Rose. "How was it?" she asked enthusiastically. "Catch the bad guy?"

It was only when she found out what had happened that her expression darkened. "Well, he did it to himself," Rose said. "I mean, think about how many people he killed! How many families he destroyed! Maybe if he hadn't been BLOWING UP STUFF, this wouldn't have happened."

She wasted no time in trying to steer the conversation back towards her favorite topic: herself. "Hey, I wanted to ask you... Okay, so, I've been thinking... The way that Dennis treated that guy? It was like..." She sighed. "I don't know what it was like. It just scared me, you know? So, I was thinking about guys who wouldn't get violent, and... and I thought...

"Okay, so that Mark guy your boyfriend hangs out with? What do you think about him?"

Originally posted by Michuru81
                For the record, she means Mat, Shock. I'm determined that Rose doesn't get most people's names right.
                NVAE (Dennis; NPCs: The Survivors)
                Headed for the locker room to get changed, Dennis opened the door and stepped through, only to find himself in an unfamiliar office.

"What the hell was that?"

There were six other people in the room--one charged for him. He looked to be in his mid-thirties and wore a beat up trench coat with a fedora. "Who are you?" he raged. "Where did you come from?"

"Look at the uniform, Gregaro!" It was a woman--maybe a few years this man's senior. She was standing with three others about her age and two teenagers--a boy and a girl.

"He's from the school," said one of the adults. Looking at him, Dennis was sure he knew him somehow. He couldn't put his finger on it, but he was sure he'd met him somewhere before... "I'm sorry for that greeting. We're all a little high-strung." He offered out his hand in greeting. "I'm Otso Karell. Pleased to meet you."

Introductions where made: the hot-headed man was Gregaro Vincentsson and the woman was Haley Atwood; John and Jessica Smith were the other two adults; the teens were Montana Monroe and Derryl Isaacson. Moreover, Dennis learned, they were all Neo-Sapiens: Gregaro could manipulate his own body temperature while Haley could bend spatial topography to her will; John manipulated probability while his wife possessed regeneration; Montana could manipulate time and space, while Derryl controlled sound.

"Now that the introductions are out of the way," said Gregaro, "let's skip to the $64,000 Question: do you remember the invasion?"

Otso and Haley broke it down for Dennis: a year ago, a giant ship appeared in the sky over New York City. At first, it looked like an alien attack. Not but an hour after the invasion began, everyone found themselves waking up the morning of the invasion, with no one else seeming to recall the catastrophe that occurred once more than night.

"It's like Groundhog Day," Derryl explained dryly. "Every day, the same thing. We wake up, go through the day... They show up, we try to put a stop to it, and... we end up just right back where we started. When they showed up, they broke time, and we're the only ones we've found who seem to be aware of this."

"In all the times we've been through this," Otso said, "this is the first time someone else has shown up. It's a little alarming, you popping in like this. Do you have an idea how you got here?"

They walked Dennis through everything they had learned about the invaders. Haley had teleported them to the ship several times, and they'd begun to map it out as best they could. Every time they stormed the ship, they each met with an unfortunate end. Every time they died, however, they woke up good as new that morning. "They're not really aliens," Otso said. "They're Neo-Sapiens--just like us. I think they might be from an alternate timeline. I've faced warped versions of my former classmates--like Kas or Violet."

Though they'd been gathering information on their opponents, they had no files. They couldn't: tonight, everything would reset to the state it was this morning. They had no choice but to commit everything to memory. Still, they were able to confirm Dennis' worst fears: they had encountered an evil version of Evan Bradley; they had been undone by Nocti and Tenebrae; they'd been killed by Incubus.

They were up against the Armada.

Hours later, the Armada appeared in the sky over the city. "The Vindicators will be scrambled in minutes," Otso said, watching the news. "They won't survive. Normally, we'd head up there. We've explored a lot of the ship. We're trying to find a way to bring them down. This is a suicide mission, Dennis. Near as I can tell, this is us against a few hundred. If we die, we'll wake up this morning like nothing happened. I don't know what will happen to you, though... As you're apparently not native to our world and weren't here this morning... I don't know what would happen to you, and I'd rather not risk it."

Stay or go, either way, Dennis will wake up on the floor of the locker room just seconds after he walked in.
                NVAE, INFIRMARY (Martin; NPCs: Talley)
                Doctor Talley emerged from the examination room and saw Martin and Tatjana sitting outside of the room. "Miss Nelson?" she asked. "Could you be a dear and get me some coffee from the refectory?"

Tatjana cast a worried look her boyfriend's way before standing up and hesitantly heading for the surface.

The doctor took up the departed redhead's seat. "Jack's powers have limitations," she explained. "He is incapable of displacing his mass, nor can he increase it. This is what keeps him from... transforming into a giant dragon or a diminutive spider. By shifting things around, he is able to gain certain benefits, but he is far from capable of the sort of feats someone like you or I can.

"An autopsy of Chimera showed a weakening of his heart muscle. As near as I can tell, when Jack performs his splitting trick, he is effectively creating a tumor--albeit one he invests portions of his own body into. When Jack has performed this trick, he reabsorbs his duplicates each time and reclaims the mass he displaces. Also, he strains himself to fabricate one copy. From what he told the headmaster on the phone, Jack can't even fathom the stress maintaining two would put on his system.

"This is what killed him, Martin: he strained himself too much and the exhilaration of a fight--the boost of adrenaline--was too much for his weakened heart. It wouldn't matter if it was you or Magnitude telekinetically seizing him--Imago striking him with an illusory lance... He split himself too far, and the stress of it killed him. No you. Not anyone. He did this to himself."

NVAE, WRECK ROOM (Jack; NPCs: Newton, Oates)
                Leading Jack away with the agent, the trio sequestered themselves away in the Wreck Room.

"I've filled Agent Oates here on the intelligence you and the others brought back from the other dimension--that Pandora is a world where criminals are gathered under one banner and unleashed upon the cosmos. I've explained to him that this information was why I recommended to the Hague that they immediately cease employing Pandora as a means for jailing international criminals with super-human abilities.

"He and I are also of the mind that these events--however dark their outcome--are an opportunity for us to learn more about this Armada you encountered.

"Had things happened differently, Chimera would have been a candidate for Pandora. He's a super-powered being who is an international criminal. He would have ended up with this Armada... and that's why I'm asking you to take his place.

"If you we send a duplicate to Pandora in Chimera's stead, you might be able to gather intelligence on them--maybe even a way to stop them."

I'm looking to wrap this up today, but giving everyone a chance to post something to close it out. If you want to have anything else happen, have at it. Otherwise, we'll start the next session soon.
                Armada Status

Comment

• Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #20: Love Connection

Imago

Dennis came to slowly, and it took some fumbling before he could find the nearest bench to pull himself up. One might say trippy, but with Dennis' already extra-dimensional traveling and how things like Napoleon IX seemed to be reflecting time and space issues - he was more than willing to believe something real had happened.

Another world the Armada had attacked. It took more moments for his memory to return.

Dennis had taken their warning, but in lieu of that, explaining that he'd encountered and opposed the Armada in the past, wanted information. The exploration of the ship, every Armada member they'd encountered, including the alternate Kasamir and Violet. And then suggested that if they were heading out again, that they bring a wireless camera so he could see for himself. "Asking a bit, I know. But if you guys said, it repeats, it won't hurt you ultimately. And maybe the people I know can make something of it."

"Well, ye Witches warned us of Cawdor's death." Dennis murmured, settling himself and getting up. This was something he definitely wanted to bring to the Headmaster. "Time to prepare a reception for the King."

OOC
                  Impeach the peach!

Completed Games:
                  Crinoverse - Avengers
                  Crinoverse - Young Avengers
                  Crinoverse - Bay City Sentinels
                  Crinoverse - Time After Time
                  Crinoverse - San Antonio Avengers
                  Crinoverse - Honnounji Academy
                  Extreme Unction

Comment

Greystone:
                    [Jack Rexroth]

It was a somber flight back to the school. Once there, Chimera's remains were taken to the sublevel, where Newton and Agent Oates waited. "Doctor Talley will conduct an autopsy," Newton said. His voice was uncharacteristically dark. "Jack? A moment?"
                    Jack nodded but gestured to give him a moment before turning to Ellen. He hugged her, wrapping his arms around her and squeezing her the way he knew she liked before giving her a quick kiss on the check. "I'll meet you at our spot in an hour, I'll answer any questions you've got."

Leading Jack away with the agent, the trio sequestered themselves away in the Wreck Room.

"I've filled Agent Oates here on the intelligence you and the others brought back from the other dimension--that Pandora is a world where criminals are gathered under one banner and unleashed upon the cosmos. I've explained to him that this information was why I recommended to the Hague that they immediately cease employing Pandora as a means for jailing international criminals with super-human abilities.

"He and I are also of the mind that these events--however dark their outcome--are an opportunity for us to learn more about this Armada you encountered.

"Had things happened differently, Chimera would have been a candidate for Pandora. He's a super-powered being who is an international criminal. He would have ended up with this Armada... and that's why I'm asking you to take his place.

"If you send a duplicate to Pandora in Chimera's stead, you might be able to gather intelligence on them--maybe even a way to stop them."
                    Jack understood why Newton and Oates were bringing this up to him; he was the only one that could do it given the circumstances, but given what had just happened to his otherworldly double there were questions in the back of his head. "I need to think about it. Gimme a couple hours?" He asked quietly.

OOC:
                    I know you're wanting to wrap this session up, but I knew we were talking about Jack & Ellen having a talk. I just wasn't sure if you wanted to do it now or the first part of the next one, so if I'm screwing things up for you just let me know.

Comment

Alex "Current" Murphy
                      HP: 1 CND: Normal

Lex nods slowly.

"Hrmm," he ran his hand through his hair, "Well, we know your parabolic shield didn't block everything. You had to catch the energy and bounce it back."

"Maybe it's like that? You aren't really making a giant invisible barrier, but you're just bouncing back that one spot where things are about to hit,"
                      Lex purses his lips as he looks off into the distance, "Maybe it was because fire isn't like people's hands or hrmmm..."

He looks over at Kirstie and grins,
                      "Can we hit the wreck room? I have an idea I want to test. Pleaaaaase?"

He gives her the big puppy dog eyes, pouts comedically.

Comment

Martin was bleary-eyed. Coming from an Asian time zone coupled with the emotional excesses of... everything had left him drained. Not for the first time had he considered asking for Verve's help but he hadn't wanted to leave until he knew.

The French teen took a moment to process the information. Other Jack had spread himself too thin, literally. He was ill-equipped for a battle. Had he known that? Was his flippant attitude all bluster? Would he have responded differently if Martin had just talked to him, asked him to come peaceably? He breathed fire when Otso tried it. Martin winced at the memory.

Martin should have listened to that voice that eschews the violent solution as a matter of course. "Hit him Hard" Jack had said. His thoughts cycled to several months ago when he tried to 'non-violently' absorb and contain his parents. Look how much of a fubar that was! As if arriving in flocks, memories of failure arrived one after another all delivering a gut punch before presenting evidence of Martin's worthlessness then flitting into orbit around the teen's mind. He felt sick.

He moved slowly, he head turning to the medical professional with what felt to him like a glacial pace. "Zank you, doctor." he says without conviction. "You'll make sure Jack is warned of ze vulnerabilities of zat use of 'is abilities, or shall I?"

Comment

NVAE (Dennis)
                          They had encountered too many members of the Armada... A middle-aged man who could control the air, a young man who had turned Gregaro to stone with a look, a girl who turned into a monstrous behemoth, a Russian man whose touch turned Otso's flesh to wood, twin brothers possessing super-speed... When Dennis pressed Otso for information on his former classmates' doppelgangers, Otso sighed. "We've encountered three so far. A version of Kas who can see... He was with their ground forces."

According to Haley, when the ship arrived, it launched a wave of flying saucers--fighters who protected the ships that landed on the ground and worked to set up some sort of alien equipment. Those teams seemed to always work in groups of two.

"Kasamir was with a young man about the same age. They were about eighteen or so, I think. It seems like forever ago, but it was definitely the Kas I remember from the Vienna school. The man he was with was terrifying: he could fly, was impervious to harm... With a wave of his hand, he made their ship rise into the air and crush Gregaro.

"Violet was older--maybe in her twenties. She stays on the ship in reserve."

"She dresses nice," Gregaro said, grinning roguishly.

Otso rolled his eyes. "She was wearing skimpy lingerie. Violet can generate ice. I suspect she no longer gets cold.

"The worst one we've faced was Gaspar. He was in his late teens. He was so... dark." The Finnish man visibly shuddered. "He's a reservist. We encountered him the first time we went up. He was on the main deck. As soon as he saw us, he wasted no time in killing us one-by-one."

"Lightning," Derryl said. "He controls the weather."

"Otherwise, there are versions of past students there," Otso said. "We've run into a couple different Paragons--don't quite understand how--and Mister Bradley, Trauma, Bile, Charybis..."

At Dennis' behest, the group got a camera and headed to the ship. They arrived in a greenhouse--a room where grey aliens tended to crops grown inside of the ship. The creatures attacked and the Survivors fought their way through. The sounds of battle drew a group of four: a man who spit some sort of goo on Gregaro, only for it to slowly spread over him, encapsulating him in the strange substance; Haley collapsed, leaving Montana as the group's only means of escape; as one lashed at Jessica with water blades, Derryl exploded.

Montana grabbed Otso and teleported away. John's camera was still running from the floor, but Dennis' focus was on the others now. "This is it," Montana said. They were in a long hallway, maybe ten feet wide. About fifty feet ahead was a steel door. "The bridge is up there."

They made their way there. The doors opened as they neared. Two people were talking.

"-with the footage I'm seeing, admiral. This world's Vindicators-"

"Fought valiantly. Even with the odds against them-"

"Be careful, admiral! It's starting to sound as though you sympathize with them."

Creeping forward, Dennis and Montana looked over the railing. One man--a short, muscular man, was facing a holographic image of a towering figure. A cloak was wrapped around his body and flung over his left shoulder. A strange, cybernetic helmet adorned his head and hide his face. Only a pair of lights flared where his eyes should have been.

"Far from it," the other man said. "I just admire their perseverance."

"There is nothing about these creatures worthy of your admiration!" the hologram roared. "The Vindicators are beasts, admiral! They are lawless abominations who do whatever they want, with no care for the consequences! If your officers confirm your men have destroyed them all, you have clearance to shift and go to the next world!

"But first, I suggest you tend to your vermin problem."

The hologram dissipated and the Admiral turned slowly to face the pair of eavesdroppers. Suddenly, Montana's camera dropped to the floor. Otso turned and Dennis saw the girl impaled on a long, black spike jutting from the wall behind her. A moment later, Otso's own camera dropped to the floor. His eyes went back to John's feed. He too was down.

The Survivors were dead.

In the greenhouse, the cameras were smashed by someone unseen. On the bridge, the admiral picked up Otso's and stared down into the lens. "I am Chen Lei, Admiral of the Armada," he declared. "Whoever is watching this, I'm sorry. Within the hour, your world will be destroyed--fueling our campaign against the tyranny of the Vindicators.

"May God have mercy on your souls."

He turned off the camera, leaving Dennis alone in Haley's office. Sure enough, before an hour passed, the news showed the ship suddenly vanish and Dennis suddenly found himself on the floor of the locker room.

NVAE (Lex; NPCs: Kirstie)
                          "Can we hit the wreck room? I have an idea I want to test. Pleaaaaase?"

"I guess," Kirstie said apathetically. "What's up?"

NVAE, INFIRMARY (Martin; NPCs: Talley)
                          "Zank you, doctor." Martin's voice was devoid of conviction. "You'll make sure Jack is warned of ze vulnerabilities of zat use of 'is abilities, or shall I?"

"I can tend to that," she said.
                          Last edited by Michuru81; 22nd February 2016, 02:34 PM.
                          Armada Status

Comment

Martin waits for Tatjana to return and pulls out his phone. <<When should we head back to NVAT?>> he texts to Lex.

He also made a mental note to himself that he'd stop the ecological disaster that Other Jack lost his life preventing. He would do it, not by harming the company, but warning them. Hell, he'd be ON the tanker if need be.

But right now, he really just wanted to see his girlfriend.
                            Last edited by flynnarrel; 22nd February 2016, 04:39 PM.

Comment

• Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #18: Decompress

Ursa
                              HP: 0
                              Cnd: Bruised

"Not as important as you ma cherie." He squeezed her reassuringly.

"To be honest I've no clue but since Tallemaja was involed I'd bet on magic." The word left a bad taste in his mouth recently. Mostly because it seemed to crop up along with things he didn't understand that were dangerous to those he cared about.

"I'll talk to Jack about it. Later. Like I said, you're what's important."
                              Last edited by McGuffin; 22nd February 2016, 03:52 PM.
                              Otso Karell, codenamed Ursa, on New Vindicators Academy of Europe.

Comment

• Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #20: Love Connection

Imago

The full extent of everything Dennis had taken in ran through his head. Aside from the sheer frightening size and power of the Armada clearly on display - heck, they had aliens at their service - what was most concerning was their apparent motivations.

Originally posted by Blue Knight: NVAE #20
                                "If Argos just wanted to rule a world as a king, he could. Proper army already, come in, enlist the crooks, kill the heroes. Simple enough, innit. If he's purposefully destroying worlds, just to keep going, yet also using scouts...he doesn't just want to destroy. He's looking for something."
                                Originally posted by Argus
                                "There is nothing about these creatures worthy of your admiration!" the hologram roared. "The Vindicators are beasts, admiral! They are lawless abominations who do whatever they want, with no care for the consequences! If your officers confirm your men have destroyed them all, you have clearance to shift and go to the next world!"
                                Originally posted by Chen Lei
                                "I am Chen Lei, Admiral of the Armada," he declared. "Whoever is watching this, I'm sorry. Within the hour, your world will be destroyed--fueling our campaign against the tyranny of the Vindicators.

"May God have mercy on your souls."
                                Well, there was the answer Harry had been looking for, Dennis suspected. And the sheer pettiness and enormity of it chilled Dennis to just to imagine. The attack on his home, the world of the Survivors locked in its loop, the 639 Blue Knight referenced and more. Billions upon billions murdered - as some multiversal grudge match.

Dennis picked up the pace, heading for the sub-level where he knew Jack had been ushered off to.

OOC
                                Impeach the peach!

Completed Games:
                                Crinoverse - Avengers
                                Crinoverse - Young Avengers
                                Crinoverse - Bay City Sentinels
                                Crinoverse - Time After Time
                                Crinoverse - San Antonio Avengers
                                Crinoverse - Honnounji Academy
                                Extreme Unction

Comment

Working...