Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Vindicators Academy of Europe #25: Jeopardy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #20: Love Connection

Magnitude
    Kasimir Flaegler
    HP 1

Kas pushed himself out of bed and made his way to the shower. As he washed, he started his mental list of daily priorities. First, wash his uniform. He wished he could simply throw it in the wash, but with the built in equipment that helped insulate him from adverse weather when he was flying as well as the seal where it attached to the helmet allowing him to operate in atmosphere deficient environments for short periods, hand washing with a sponge and bleach was required. Then he had to polish his headgear. It seemed like vanity, but image was important when dealing with the public, as he often did. If you looked like a hobo, you got treated with the respect a hobo commands...which was to say...none.

Then it was off to check to see if there was any word on Buddy's whereabouts. If there was not, it would be time to check on the "visitors" at the North Korean embassy. Then he had to apologize to Agnes. She was trying, however misguided the attempt, to help him and he should show some appreciation. After that, he had to check in on Napoleon. After that, he was certain he had some sort of actual classes to attend...or at least pick up the assignments for. After that...if there was time...patrol over Vienna. He had to be seen. Things were much quieter as far as petty crime went, when he was visible...at least according to the police.

Ugh. He was beginning to loathe the words "after that".

"Ach, it is getting so I need a sekretary, just to keep up mit mein schedule." He muttered as he dressed.

He was so distracted, he almost forgot to attach his cloak to his uniform. Once that was done, it was out the door and to the Headmaster's office.

Comment

THE KURBASH (NPCs: Brimstone, Eidolon, Nocti, Tenebrae)
      Nocti didn't look up when he sensed someone enter the room. His sister was across the table from him--still possessing the Vindicator's body--meaning it could only be Brimstone or Eidolon. No doubt this was going to be another update telling him what he already knew: the others still hadn't come back yet.

"It's been four hours." Brimstone. Of course it was Brimstone. She was only on this mission because she wanted to screw Pyre.

"I'm aware of how long it's been," Nocti said disinterestedly.

"Something must have gone wrong..."

"We don't know that."

"They should have been back-"

"I KNOW THAT THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN BACK BY NOW!" Nocti raged. He shot out of his chair and slammed his palms onto the tabletop so hard, some of his tea sloshed from his mug and onto the map of Europe laid out before him. "Remind me again which one of us is a genius? Hmm? Is it you?" He watched as flames burned in her eyes. She was moments away from hitting him with hellfire. "Oh, that's right! You're the stupid little girl whose solution to everything is to stab it with a pitchfork! Well? Go ahead and prove me right!"

Her ego wouldn't let her attack him now. He resisted the urge to smirk as the flames in her skull were extinguished. "I'm going to go find them-"

"You'll stay here," Nocti snapped. "If the others were bested, it'll do them no good if we go off one-by-one. Once we have more information, we'll forge a plan of attack-"

"It's just two children!" she roared.

"Then why haven't they come back?"

Clearly, she didn't know what to say to that one.

"I concur with you: they should have come back. We captured three Vindicators, killed two, and it was just them against two children... The illusionist boy and the girl who..." He shrugged. He still didn't know what the dark-haired girl's powers were. "It shouldn't have taken them an hour to find them, kill them, and rejoin us, and yet, four have passed. Something happened--something neither my sister or I expected. We can't go off half-cocked now. We need to wait until we have more information... We need to figure out what happened and where the others are. We need a plan of attack before we go out there, or we risk being brought down like our comrades.

"Tell me you understand."

Brimstone turned her back on him. He watched as her shoulders rose up and down. She was seething with rage. She needed something to train all that anger on.

"Brimstone."

"I understand," she growled. He knew she didn't want to walk away--she didn't want to let him think he'd won--but he could tell she didn't want to stay either. Fortunately for her, she was saved by Eidolon...

The youngest of their crew slipped into the room. When she'd first arrived on Pandora, she'd been sporting blue hair with green highlights. That had faded overtime. A few weeks ago, the Elpis shifted to a world, and Nocti snuck away to get her some dye. He remembered going to her bunk later, telling Brimstone to leave them be for a bit, handed Eidolon the dye, and then kissed her. Kissing turned to heavy petting. Heavy petting turned to him reaching up under her skirt. Reaching up under her skirt turned to something else...

Eidolon was deaf. It was likely the reason that her illusions were soundless. Nocti didn't speak sign language. There weren't many ways they could communicate, but when he gave her a particular look, she knew enough what it meant. He flashed it to her now. He signaled to her what was about to happen. She looked glum. He didn't love her. She didn't love him. There were no emotions to muddle pure, simple sex, and he wouldn't have it any other way.

"I'll retire for the night," he said. "Don't disturb me unless there is news."

Tenebrae nodded. Brimstone clenched her fists and they shook with rage as he walked past, leading Eidolon to his bunk...

Hours later, he awoke to light slithering across his face. "What?" he groaned.

"Bile and Pyre are dead," answered the rumbling voice of his sister's newest puppet. "They're planning on executing Incubus on live television."

He nuzzled the back of Eidolon's neck with his forehead and groped her beneath the sheets. "It was just two of them..." he hissed.

"Brimstone's planning on heading off. I told her to wait--to give us thirty minutes. She said if you weren't going to move-"

"We have to."

"I concur," his sister said. "Their illusionist? He calls himself Imago. His little broadcast is propaganda. If we don't make a show of this, we risk looking weak. Someone, or someones could make a move."

He knew. They were powerful, but they could do nothing if a nation launched a nuke at the Kurbash. They had to keep the ship hidden--keep their location unknown. They had to strike fast and hard and fabricate an illusion of more power than they had. They had to make everyone afraid to move against them...

MILITARY BASE (Blue Knight, Greystone, Imago, Shiver, Ursa; NPCs: The Drifter, Felsic, Maze, Verve, Vestige)
      Silence walked the base. Before the broadcast, the order to clear out was given. A handful of technicians remained to help operate everything, but after that, they too were evacuated. Now, the New Vindicators were alone in the ghost town...

Alone to await the arrival of the Armada...

MILITARY BASE (NPCs: Brimstone, Eidolon, Nocti, Tenebrae)
      Nocti knew they were walking into a trap. Why execute two of them, but hold the other? "Sure, you other despicable four might want to intervene. You can try." Incubus was bait and Imago had a terrible poker face.

There were other solutions: they could have abandoned this dimension--tried to join up with the Catherine. They could have rejoined the flagship and hope Argus didn't punish them for their defection. They could have gone back, tried to recruit a few others, and came back with reinforcements... but that just meant dividing this world with more of the Armada. That meant potentially working with someone who wouldn't be as easy to manipulate as the others...

No, there was another way out... Imago was an illusionist. Eidolon would be immune to his powers, but the others would be vulnerable. The trick was to overcome those vulnerabilities--find a way to determine what was and was not real.

Now, only Brimstone would be vulnerable.

Nocti and Tenebrae used their powers on their prisoners. Tenebrae crossed shadows with one of them, taking possession of his body; Nocti crossed shadows with another, gaining his powers. Now, Nocti was acutely aware of everything around him. He could sense things behind him, above him--he could feel everyone walking around him.

According to Tenebrae, she had a similar power. The body she possessed didn't function like a normal person. For starters, it had no eyes or ears. It didn't sense the way they did. She said she had some sort of sonar--that she could sense everything happening around her.

Imago wouldn't know what hit him...

MILITARY BASE (Blue Knight, Greystone, Imago, Shiver, Ursa; NPCs: The Drifter, Felsic, Maze, Verve, Vestige)
      The crew of the Kurbash was spotted coming in from the west. Looking out across the base, Greystone's eyes fell on a familiar figure...

Walking behind the boy and two girls was a towering figure. Easily eight feet tall and nearly just as broad, the titan seemingly chiseled from the earth was one Greystone would never forget--not just for his imposing figure, but for how little sense he had made...

Suddenly, it hit him: Imago had said that he was one of the Vindicators of this world. He said that he'd been captured. He said that one of the Armada had the ability to possess a target. There was only one way they could have captured him...

Greystone looked out across the battlefield and saw the warden of the imperial prison among his opponents.

If they were going to be victorious here, they were going to have to beat Bulwark...

Originally posted by Michuru81

Nocti - Initiative: 1D20+10 = [9]+10 = 19

Tenebrae - Initiative: 1D20+10 = [19]+10 = 29

Brimstone - Initiative: 1D20+8 = [6]+8 = 14

Eidolon - Initiative: 1D20 = [15] = 15

The Drifter - Initiative: 1D20+1 = [14]+1 = 15

Felsic - Initiative: 1D20 = [12] = 12

Verve - Initiative: 1D20+11 = [2]+11 = 13

Vestige - Initiative: 1D20 = [9] = 9

Maze - Initiative: 1D20+7 = [1]+7 = 8

The Order: Surprise Round
      • Tenebrae (29)
      • Nocti (19)
      • The Drifter (15)
      • Eidolon (15)
      • Brimstone (14)
      • Verve (13)
      • Felsic (12)
      • Vestige (9)
      • Maze (8)

Here be a map. You guys have time to set stuff up. Let me know where you're putting anything ahead of time, then give me places for everyone. I'll have the others come in from the west and we'll get the ball rolling.
      MOUNT PUTUO
      "Yeah," Sprite said, "I'm planning on getting out of here as fast as I can... Hold on, I'm about to get some air."

As she flew, there was nothing audible that Current could hear--nothing but the rush of air as Sprite booked it across the globe.

NVAE (Magnitude)
      "Good morning," the headmaster said as Kas entered the office. "Your little squadron's getting a bit rebellious. I ordered Buddy to withdraw, but he insists it's more important that he stays. Likewise, Juozas, Lexus, and Armande have taken to working in shifts to monitor him. They absolutely refuse to leave it to anyone from the U.N., saying it's too important.

"They may be right. Buddy doesn't speak Korean, so he's not been the most effective spy in that sense, but he can report what he saw: they're burning the room you were in, Kas... no doubt trying to make it look more like Napoleon was actually attacking them."

There was a faint buzzing sound. "Sir," came the voice of Missus Murphy, the administrators' secretary, "Miss Mirza is here."

"Send her in," Newton said. Before the school's public relations representative entered the room, the headmaster looked to the leader of the Volunteers. "Miss Mirza was briefed last night about our guest. She didn't handle the existence of parallel dimensions well at first, but she's..." He trailed off as the door opened. "Good morning, Anisah," he said. "How are you doing?"

"Better," the woman croaked. "Still a little unnerved at the idea that any of my loved ones could just suddenly vanish from reality and reappear in another one, but... I'm adjusting."

"I'm afraid there's a new wrinkle," Newton said. He went on to explain the news Buddy had provided.

"Okay," she said, "my initial thought is to get in front of this. We need to reveal that was have Napoleon in custody before they paint us as harboring a would-be assassin. Honestly, I'm not sure how to argue his innocence without having to reveal the whole alternate-world thing... I didn't handle that news well, and I work here. I can't imagine how someone whose life isn't dominated by super-powered shenanigans would react to that one.

"We need to move now, though. North Korea is going to try to frame this as an attack by us on them. We need to break the news before they do. We can control it better if we do."
      Armada Status

Comment

Magnitude
        Kasimir Flaegler
        HP 1

Kas listened to the Headmaster and Ms. Mirza and nodded thoughtfully. "I agree, we must make this public before the Koreans haf an opportunity, but I haf...another idea."

"Why don't we, announce the existence uf Napoleon, while thanking the stalwart diplomats uf the DPRK for their assistance in this effort? You know, make it sound as if this was an intentional effort at establishing diplomatik relations mit another dimension, but bekause it required privacy, the normally impenetrable wall uf sekrecy surrounding the Korean embassy was just the kover needed in this kase."

"A true kase uf international, not to mention interdimensional, kooperation. We kould even write off Dong-suk's appearance in their air over the akademy as him taking time out uf his...busy schedule... to inquire about the negotiations...since none uf it kould haf happened without their help."

Kas shrugged. "It frames the kontakt itself in a less frightening kontext, though we kan always follow this mit a publik relations blitz where we explain that all such kontakt may not be friendly und does not kome mit out risk."

"It puts the Koreans in a diffikult position, bekause they kan either participate in a publik relations koup for themselves, where they look like the good guys or they kan press their klaim uf assault after the announcement, which will make them look petulant. The damage to their embassy kan be explained away as a failure uf the experimental technology which permitted this, und we kan exhort the publik und the world governments to welkome Napoleon as a guest, until such time as we kan re-establish kontakt und get him home."

"It's not exaktly tidy...bekause we haf to allow the DPRK representatives back here, but it handles all the major issues surrounding this event. So...thoughts?"

Part of Kas cringed at the elaborate lie that so quickly and easily popped into his head. Well...if the whole "hero" thing was a bust, apparently he had a talent for politics.

And whether he likes it or not...with a +12 Bluff and a +8 Diplomacy, he so very, very much has a talent for politics.

Comment

Fluxx continues to try to navigate to his sister and Tallemaja.

Comment

Imago
            HP: 5
            COND: Unharmed

Imago waited with a pistol and the shapeshifted Jack-cubus, letting his tension breath out as he waited for the remaining Armada members. All the same, there was a little smile on his face. There was a thrill in the tricking, the fooling, the playing with people, and whatever else, he figured he had played the Kurbash crew pretty well.

He'd not made much effort pretending the whole broadcast wasn't a trap - because anyone with brains would figure that out. And there wasn't much choice. Those bastards had to come, no matter what, and they knew it.

The best part? They wouldn't realize the real trap: that Dennis and Liz didn't pull off that capture alone. And this time, the prep and surprise would do the trick.

OOC
            Imago is at K9. I'm assuming Greystone is seeing Bulwark due to superior senses or something.
            Initiative: 1D20 = [8] = 8
            Last edited by Enigmatic One; 16th October 2015, 07:14 PM.
            Impeach the peach!

Completed Games:
            Crinoverse - Avengers
            Crinoverse - Young Avengers
            Crinoverse - Bay City Sentinels
            Crinoverse - Time After Time
            Crinoverse - San Antonio Avengers
            Crinoverse - Honnounji Academy
            Extreme Unction

Comment

The Blue Knight

Gwyn flew a bit above the others, keeping his wings ablaze but his armor off-for now. He wanted the rest to be able to see his face, hopefully some confidence he half felt would show there.

"Listen, if we stay together and work as a team, we'll get through this. Trust each other-these people are scavengers and raiders: pirates. I doubt they care for each other-we do, and that's ta ouer advantage."

When the crew of the Kurbash arrived, Gwyn pointed with his claymore, flames spilling over his body, his cerulean armor.

"I'll take the biggun."

Initiative 1d20+6=18
              I have no idea how many Hero Points I have at this point. I think maybe...five?
              [I]Any sound can shake the air. My voice shakes the heart![/I]

Comment

Alex "Current" Murphy
                HP: 1 CND: Normal

Lex let out a sigh of relief as Mira started flying.

With her jumping in unexpectedly and Martin acting erratically because of his sister, not to mention the disaster with the Avalon girls, he was started to feel drained. He glanced over at Dewhurst, and raised an eyebrow.

"You may shower me with praise, citizen, just don't get unctuous, ya know?" Lex snarks.

He dropped his word to prove he wasn't mind controlled, which was something he'd have to check on Dewhurst. Him and Mira were the biggest worries at the moment if what he thought was right... Which was that Alice couldn't hide her accent.

Comment

Violet Lear
                  HP: 7

Violet frowned while she hid with Astrid among crates between two of the buildings. She got the impression the plan was already in shambles. Nobody had mentioned a giant rock man. "Stay with me while I back up Jack. We stick together, right?"

Last edited by Shock; 16th October 2015, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Greystone:
                    [Jack Rexroth]
                    HP: 5

It was hard to stay focused with his being “tied down” but they needed it to look legit so the Armada crew would buy the ruse. Jack had little doubt they bought the bit about Imago killing Incubus but his directly challenging their power by making the threat public practically forced them into coming here to prove they weren’t anyone to mess with. It all came down to the fact that they needed to keep up appearances, even if they knew something about this was off. Otherwise they’d lose a lot of the edge they’d gained so far.

When he saw the Armada crew heading towards them Jack mentally cursed as he realized this fight was going to be a lot harder than he first thought – apparently Tenebrae had used her shadow possession power on this world’s version of Bulwark.

OOC:

Initiative: _: 1D20+4 = [12]+4 =16.

Shapeshift Set Up (34 pts):
                    Not My Face [16 pts]: Morph 8 [humanoids]
                    Dragon Wings [4 pts]: Flight 4 (Flaw: Limited [Winged])
                    Dragon Scales: [3 pts] Protection 3
                    -Claws [11 pts]: Strike 6 (Power Feats: Improved Critical 4, Mighty)

Comment

Initiative 1d20+1=13
                      Otso Karell, codenamed Ursa, on New Vindicators Academy of Europe.

Comment

NVAE: NEWTON'S OFFICE (Magnitude; NPCs: Mirza and Newton)
                        "I agree, we must make this public before the Koreans haf an opportunity, but I haf... another idea: why don't we announce the existence uf Napoleon, while thanking the stalwart diplomats uf the DPRK for their assistance in this effort?" Newton and Mirza both nodded in agreement. "You know, make it sound as if this was an intentional effort at establishing diplomatik relations mit another dimension, but bekause it required privacy, the normally impenetrable wall uf sekrecy surrounding the Korean embassy was just the kover needed in this kase. A true kase uf international, not to mention interdimensional, kooperation."

"Wait, you..." Mirza looked like she were about to panic. "I... I don't... We..."

"We kould even write off Dong-suk's appearance in their air over the akademy as him taking time out uf his... busy schedule... to inquire about the negotiations... since none uf it kould haf happened without their help." Kas shrugged. "It frames the kontakt itself in a less frightening kontext, though we kan always follow this mit a publik relations blitz where we explain that all such kontakt may not be friendly und does not kome mit out risk.

"It puts the Koreans in a diffikult position, bekause they kan either participate in a publik relations koup for themselves, where they look like the good guys or they kan press their klaim uf assault after the announcement, which will make them look petulant. The damage to their embassy kan be explained away as a failure uf the experimental technology which permitted this, und we kan exhort the publik und the world governments to welkome Napoleon as a guest, until such time as we kan re-establish kontakt und get him home.

"It's not exaktly tidy... bekause we haf to allow the DPRK representatives back here, but it handles all the major issues surrounding this event. So... thoughts?"

"I think it could be disastrous to reveal the existence of alternate dimensions," Newton said. "I believe we will have to at some point, but right now? We don't have enough information."

Mirza spoke up. "Let's say we get up there and tell people the theory about Flight 229 jumping worlds. The next question is going to be how do we intend to bring them back. Maybe it's how this happened and what measures we can take to prevent this from happening again. Someone asks if we've ruled out that this is part of an attack: how do we know an enemy in another dimension didn't use some sort of weapon to transport that plane from our world to theirs. Next thing you know, either the Americans or the Russians are planning on bombing this dimension before they can attack ours again.

"Even if we leave Flight 229 out of the equation, those questions will come up when Napoleon's origin is revealed. People fear what they don't understand and we don't understand this enough yet to really give the public the facts. Hell, they'll probably want to test Napoleon to see if they can reverse-engineer a way to his home world..."

"I think that if we go public with this, we're essentially opening up Pandora's box."

MOUNT PUTUO (Fluxx; NPCs: Fraction and Tallemaja)
                        Down below, Martin found his sister with Tallemaja. "-point we made our way here with the evoker." The girl acknowledged her brother casually and then continued to catch the shapeshifter up. "My brother informed me of your location, and I came straight here."

MOUNT PUTUO (Current; NPCs: Dewhurst)
                        Dewhurst confirmed his identity and asked for a SITREP. Once Current gave him a brief rundown, the agent nodded. "Sounds like we're going mage hunting."

MILITARY BASE (Blue Knight, Greystone, Imago, Shiver, Ursa; NPCs: Brimstone, The Drifter, Eidolon, Felsic, Maze, Nocti, Tenebrae, Verve, Vestige)
                        Originally posted by Michuru81

The Order: Surprise Round
                        • Tenebrae (29 - A9)
                        • Shiver (24 - L7)
                        • Nocti (19 - A8)
                        • The Blue Knight (18)
                        • Greystone (16 - K10)
                        • The Drifter (15 - K8)
                        • Eidolon (15 - A10)
                        • Brimstone (14 - A11)
                        • Verve (13 - M7)
                        • Ursa (13)
                        • Felsic (12)
                        • Vestige (9)
                        • Maze (8)
                        • Imago (8 - K9)

Five sounds right, I think? Where is BK at? And the others? Placement will be important for stuff...

If Greystone is out in the open, the Kurbash crew will come in across from them.
                        Armada Status

Comment

Magnitude
                          Kasimir Flaegler
                          HP 1

At Newton and Mirza's expressed concerns, Kas shrugged.

"People in France still want to wipe the Romani off the face uf the earth, bekause they're..." He made finger quotes in the air. "...evil. They haf interakted for centuries, yet for some people the stigma remains. There are plenty uf people in the world who would see me put to death no matter how much good I do, simply bekause I am what I am. There are Russians who would prefer to attack NATO to get the inevitable konflikt out uf the way, und members uf NATO who feel the same. At what point do you determine people haf been desensitized enough or are mature enough to broach the issue uf parallel worlds?"

Kas shook his head. "Nevermind. I will leaf planning how to proceed to you bold souls. I will attempt to get Buddy to abandon his spying on the Koreans, und I must apologize to a young woman whose attempt at assisting me I rebuffed."

Unless they stop him, Kas will go to the communication center to attempt to get a hold of Buddy.

Comment

Alex "Current" Murphy

Lex cocks an eyebrow, "What's this 'we' business, paleface?"

He sighs, "Yeah, who am I kidding. I don't suppose your group will be of any help moving forward?"

He leans up against a wall while still holding the phone to his ear, "So, I'm thinking the Vindicators are the best choice to collect the witch. Keeps you from being 'involved'."

"Oh, and here is a quick update on Alice,"
                            Lex quickly describes the girls and the powers they used, "As for Alice herself, it sounds like she's got a bit of a grab bag of powers. She can body jack people, but they don't seem to remember what they've done while under her control. I also think she can't really read minds, but that's all spec right now. Seems like her big power is that she can alter emotions in people's memories."

"Remove them, dull them, enhance them. She was threatening to remove our 'happy memories' and make the bad ones the stuff we remembered,"
                            Lex shrugs, "She was pretty much all talk though, didn't even seem to try to follow through on it."

"Could mean it takes time, could mean nothing at all. Either way I figure that's how she's controlling the girls. Remove the happy times from their past lives, then boost all of the good and happy feelings once they arrive at the 'school',"
                            Lex finger quotes then sighs, "And boost their hate and resentment that anybody might be out to take away the school."

"The instant she said my name those girls went from cheerful and friendly just short of physically hostile,"
                            Lex scowls, "I was hoping I could reach out to them and get them to realize they're being used, but now? I can't even trust that they won't just tell everything to Alice the instant I say it. And she'll just tweak the emotional response to what she wants."

"So we got a bunch of innocent victims who are going to be trying to kill me the instant I start putting a stop to their nonsense."

"I hate psychics. Nothing but trouble."

Comment

Fluxx acknowledged his sister's update with a nod. "Mikalya is a level above us - sedated, encased in metal, and 'idden away as best I could. My initial investigations show soil matter on 'er shoes consistent wiz bog or moorlands and evidence she was or was planning to be in Brazil or someplace zat uses ze currency." Fluxx relays.

Also, while not phasing through solid ground the commlink chatter becomes clear and Martin listens to Lex's interpretations of powers.

He puts a hand to his good ear. "Lex, what is ze update on Mira; are we still going to try to get to ze necromancer for 'is 'coin'?" Martin asks.

Comment

Alex "Current" Murphy

Lex grimaces as he has a phone in one ear, an ear bud in the other and a person talking to him in person.

"Ugh, this is going to make me cross-eyed soon," He mutters to himself, then louder he says, "I don't think we need to beat up the necromancer for his lunch money. Sprite popped up in a jungle somewhere. I'm thinking Brazil, maybe, on account of that money you found. She said she saw a house nearby, but she's not exploring, thank god. She's flying off to find out where she is and come back," Lex hesitates, "Or she's just coming straight back somehow, she wasn't very clear on it."

"... Though if you're interested, I could be talked into taking the necromancer's lunch money. I still owe him for kicking me through a god damned building building,"
                                He glances to Dewhurst as an aside, "Moral of the story, stay out of kicking range of giant skellingtons."

Comment

Working...
                                X