Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Vindicators Academy of Europe #25: Jeopardy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #20: Love Connection

The Blue Knight

Gwyn chuckled a bit to himself, watching Lizzie go, perhaps a bit more closely than he would've watched somebody else.

"Yeah, pretty. Pretty something." He said to himself.

Gwyn eventually fell asleep in one of the barracks bunks, but not before taking a late night flight around the base, just to get a feel for the location. Who knew when they'd leave, or where they'd be when they did. Best to be prepared.

When morning came he did the same thing, taking an early flight around before landing near the main barracks, waiting for the others. Today was the day-and despite what Gwyn had said to Liz, he was just a bit nervous.
    [I]Any sound can shake the air. My voice shakes the heart![/I]

Comment

FUYA TEMPLE, MOUNT PUTUO [INSIDE] (Current and Fluxx; NPCs: Fraction, Gliten-Alice, Mazoe, Mikayla, Moronoe, Sprite)
      Mazoe showed no sign of recognition as Current mentioned his new classmate at the NVAA. She simply waited for him to finish talking. When he had, she motioned for Gliten and Moronoe to make their way through the portal.

"Where is 'er partner?" Fluxx asked before looking to Current. "Boz ze mages were participants in ze skeleton attack on Vienna. Mikayla blew up a car right in front of me almost killing ze driver... and zat STILL doesn't mean she deserves to be kidnapped and brainwashed to becoming a student at Ze Avalon School for Girls."

"Check the north shore of the island," Mazoe said. "That was where I sent him. Depending upon his abilities? He might still be around there."

Without another word, she made the way through her own portal and let it close behind her.

Fluxx had already sent his ear through to the other side.

"I'm going to release Gliten," Alice said.

And then, silence...

NVAE (Magnitude; NPCs: Diamond Dust, Dong-suk, Manticore, Rheid, Tantivy, Zlatkovski)
      "So," Rheid said as they started to make their way back towards the school, "what do we do about Buddy?"

As the Volunteers headed back in, Diamond Dust dragged his feet. “Hey, Lexus… Can I, uh… Can I ask you something?”

Manticore nodded as the others continued towards the doors.

Diamond Dust was quiet until the quad was empty. “It’s just… back at the embassy… you said…”

Manticore sighed, suspecting he knew what was coming: bigotry.

“How did you know-?”

“Yes, I know,” the younger boy growled defensively. “Yes, I’m only sixteen; no, I’ve never actually been with a girl; yes, I’m positive that-”

“No, not… That’s not… I meant… How did you know you were… gay?”

Manticore blinked in surprise and took a moment to gather himself. “I guess it was… I sort of always…” He sighed and rubbed the back of his neck. “I was maybe thirteen, right? I never really had friends—mom and dad were always bouncing around. My mom was a journalist, and we… we went everywhere. I lived in Libya, China, Syria, Rwanda… I just… I never really got to know anyone, you know? Then, one day, they sent me here. They let me settle in. I made friends. Kirstie was so energetic and vibrant and Tatjana was sweet and caring… but it wasn’t either of them that I found myself thinking about. It was—and so help me, I will kill you if you repeat this—it was Gaspar. Gaspar was the one that I kept imagining. I thought about him kissing me. I thought about putting my arms around him. I… I kept thinking about that son of a bitch, and when… when I was around him, I had this urge to just kiss him and-”

Diamond Dust leaned in to kiss Manticore and Lexus leaned back. He looked at Diamond Dust. He saw the hurt expression on the Lithuanian’s face. “I’m sorry,” Diamond Dust said. “I thought… I…” He was starting to cry. “Please don’t tell…” He moved to push past Lexus—to flee this awkward situation.

Manticore grabbed him, though. He stopped him. “I’m sorry,” Lexus said. “It’s… you surprised me. That’s all. I didn’t know you… Are you?”

Diamond Dust's gaze dropped. “I don’t know. I don’t know what’s wrong with-”

“Nothing is wrong with you.” Manticore had to make himself let go of the other youth. In his anger, he had started to squeeze the senior’s arms. “You are not broken. You are not less of a man. You are… There is nothing wrong with you.”

The Diamond Dust wiped his eyes on the back of his wrists. “I tried to… to be with Emily. We went out, but she… She can read minds, you know? She left. She called me disgusting. She had to know. I wasn’t sure, but she… She must have seen it in my head and-”

“You are not disgusting, Juozas. You are… You’re beautiful. You are. This part isn’t easy for anyone, but…”

“I went to Tallemaja. She was casting a spell on me—making me think straight.”

Manticore felt sick. He had gone to Tallemaja, too. She had been helping him to get past the deaths of Cornelis and his mother. She had helped him, but she had been making Juozas think he was straight? She was no different from the parents who used religion to “cure” their queer children.

It was just like his grandfather, thinking that if he expelled him, Lexus might just “get better”.

“You can’t fix what isn’t broken,” Manticore growled. “Juozas, if you’ve been having thoughts… Look at me.” Juozas continued to stare down at the floor. “Look at me, Juozas.” The older boy looked up and looked Manticore in the eye. “There is nothing wrong with you. This is natural.”

He felt guilty about not kissing him. Diamond Dust had put himself out there, only to be rebuffed like that, but Lexus wasn’t ready for that. It had only been a few months since Cornelis had been killed. The thought of being with someone else—kissing someone else…

It felt too much like cheating.

“Come on. Let’s go get some coffee and talk, okay?”

It was later that night--long after Magnitude had briefed the administration on what had happened--that Lexus approached him. "Hey, I know it's been a long night, but... I need to talk to you...

"I don't really like the idea of spilling. Someone confided in me, and here I am, breaking that... but you need to know... Juozas tried to kiss me tonight. He's been having thoughts and... point is, he told me that he went to Tallemaja to make her magically make him straight. I guess that since she's been gone, the effects are wearing off, and he's... he's suddenly having to face everything he hasn't been dealing with.

"He's a Volunteer, and you need to know anything that could jeopardize a mission...

"Which is why I need to tell you about my trips to see Tallemaja. I wasn't handling things. I lost my mom and... and..." He started to choke up and forced it all down. "I went to her to make it better, but seeing Juozas made me realize that I haven't dealt with it, and... if this is happening to him, it could happen to me. The thing is... the one who killed my mom is here at the school... and the one who killed Cornelis was here earlier.

"It might be a different Elizabeth Lamperouge. It might be an older one. I just... when she showed up in the Wreck Room, and I heard... I wanted to... I..." His fists were shaking as he tried to contain the rage. "It could be a problem..."

MILITARY BASE (Shiver; NPCs: Verve)
      "We don't need rest..."

Verve reached over with her good arm and touched Shiver. Suddenly, a wave went through the English girl's body and erased all weariness from her.

"My powers..." Verve said meekly. "I don't get tired and I can take the tired away from people.

"That's all I'm good for..."

The rest of the night passed with the two watching television and eating what they could. Verve asked Shiver about Mike--about how he had handled their first date being interrupted by terrorists and whether he'd kissed her yet.

When the morning came, Verve got out of bed and asked for help getting into her uniform. "Rheid suggested armor once," she said, "but I like being able to move. I'm quicker--more agile... I'd rather not be slowed down."

As they made their way to go find the others, she stopped to hug her awkwardly. "Thank you," she whispered.
      Armada Status

Comment

"Elle, I wasn't kidding, can you get Mikayla? I doubt I can lift 'er. I was zinking zat your 'friend' might be able to read information out of 'er mind." Fluxx says. "In any case, we need to leave." he says at the approaching sirens.

"Zen later we will talk about ze whole 'Fluxx, get mage girl.' zing. Seriously, Lex." Fluxx just shakes his cowled head.

Comment

Alex "Current" Murphy
          HP: 1 CND: Normal

Lex looks at Martin bewildered, "What? I figured you could ghost her if there was a problem, and they're all to scared of me for me to go over and do it... wait, why can't you lift her?" Lex looks honestly surprised by this, "Can't you just grow extra muscles? Or wrap her up in an arm filled with that super helium?"

He looks over at Elle who'd turned herself into solid metal and could still move around, then back at Fluxx,
          "Uh, sorry man, I honestly thought you could just one arm her without trying."

He walks over,
          "Here, let me help."

"So, are you actually planning to hunt down the necromancer?"
          Lex asks, "Because we can't really leave the witch girl alone with Alice's teleporter out there somewhere. In fact I'm not really sure what to do with her, I can't think of many places that Alice or her girls can't just get her right back out of."

Comment

Magnitude
            Kasimir Flaegler
            HP 1

At Rheid's question, Kas frowned. "We brief Sir Isaac on everything that transpired. Mein own feeling is, since Dong-suk decided to publikly display his powers, he does not kare if I hold to mein promise. With any luck, Buddy will eskape on his own, but if nothing in the report to the fakulty is withheld, they may be able to deny the General und his charges the right to flee the kountry. After all, I sincerely doubt the Greek government would be overly fond of the Austrian government allowing the abduktion uf one uf its citizens."

Running his hand through his hair, he chewed on his lower lip. "I suspekt, should the Koreans katch Buddy, they will approach the school with an offer to swap Buddy for Napoleon. How that is handled is the responsibility uf others. How do the Amerikans say it? It is abof mein pay grade."

"I will keep mein kommunikator on, in the event Buddy eskapes und needs aid making it back here."

Kas couldn't help but feel he was throwing Buddy to the lions, but short of causing yet another international incident, he wasn't sure what to do. Two international incidents a day seemed like a limit to aspire to and that meant he'd hit his limit.

Later, when Lexus sought him out, he'd changed uniforms, but was still dressed and ready to go if necessary. At some point fatigue would force him to sleep and for the first time in hours he let his thoughts wander to the students Elizabeth had gathered. Currently Astrid's abilities would be a tremendous benefit. Then again, so would Jack, Otso, Harry, Ellen, Violet and Pirjo's. He said a silent prayer for their well-being then gave Lexus his complete attention.

After listening to Lexus, he rubbed his chin thoughtfully.

"Danke for konfiding in me Lexus. I am not certain I kan be uf much help. I sympathize with your plight...und Juozas konfusion, but I am hardly equipped to help. Mein advice? Speak to the school kounselor. Both uf you. You are korrekt. Juozas is not broken, und your reaktions are understandable...but Juozas needs to kome to peace with himself. You need to grieve properly."

"Neither uf these journeys is one I am trained to help with. I will say this...it is okay if seeing Drifter makes you angry. I know, she is not the Elizabeth Lamperouge who is the architekt uf your grief, but to deny seeing her is an emotional trigger is to deny yourself the opportunity to understand how to accept there are things und events that will bring memories uf Kornelis und your mother to the front uf your thoughts. If you are going to ever be able to remember him fondly, unkolored by the bitterness uf your loss, und remember her without dwelling on the decisions that led to her death...you must grieve for them."

"You are mein freund. It pains me that you are in pain. I am pleased you felt you kould konfide in me, und I will offer you whatever support I kan gif."

Kas laid his hand on Lexus shoulder hesitantly and gave a soft squeeze. He wasn't by nature, a touchy-feely person, but sometimes...sometimes...touch was needed.

Comment

Violet Lear
              HP: 7

"Your powers are awesome. I bet you can do a lot more with them."

Violet had a great time staying up all night with Astrid. "Jakob was great. He was drugged and kidnapped and almost... cut. All because he was with me. But he didn't blame me." Violet smiled wistfully. She missed him. "When I found him, he was naked. And I kissed him before I cut him free. He was naked and I kissed him! I get so excited thinking about it." She closed her eyes and savored the thought; more the feeling of his lips than anything else.

"I think you're right about the armor." Violet agreed with her classmate as she helped her get dressed. "You need to be fast out there and stay moving. You'll find a way to help, I'm sure of it." She returned the hug eagerly. "Anytime, Astrid."

Comment

• Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #18: Decompress

Ursa
                HP: 5
                Cnd: 2 x Bruised

Otso was caught unawares when Jack walked in on him talking to Dennis, derailing his whole train of thought. He tried to gather his scattered thoughts and eventually just drew in a deep breath and let out a sad sigh. "I wanted to talk to both of you, actually, about yesterday."

"I wanted to apologize, to both of you, for what I said. No, how I said it. I still stand by my opinion on what happened and the course of action we seem to have set ourselves on." He turned to Dennis. "I don't really know you, you don't really know me, but you stuck by us in the thick of it and you gave us honest answers. I owe it to you to give you a fair shot, even if I don't agree with you. So, sorry."

"And Jack, you're my friend, and a damn good guy. I'd trust you with my life, hell I'd trust you with Bea's life!" Otso took a step back, lowering his hands after having become so obviously agitated. "I just worry about you. You're a good man and I worry you'll lose sight of that and do something you'll regret and not be able to take back. I'm sorry about yesterday Jack."

Otso lowered his gaze, unsure whether he should stay or go.
                Last edited by McGuffin; 1st October 2015, 05:54 AM.
                Otso Karell, codenamed Ursa, on New Vindicators Academy of Europe.

Comment

FUYA TEMPLE, MOUNT PUTUO [INSIDE] (Current and Fluxx; NPCs: Fraction, Mikayla, Sprite)
                  "Elle," Fluxx said, "I wasn't kidding, can you get Mikayla? I doubt I can lift 'er."

Fraction continued to stand perfectly still, refusing to move. "What did you do with Tallemaja?" she asked suspiciously.

Fluxx's head swiveled at the sounds of sirens in the distance. "I was zinking zat your 'friend' might be able to read information out of 'er mind. In any case, we need to leave.

"Zen later we will talk about ze whole 'Fluxx, get mage girl.' zing." The Frenchman shook his cowled head. "Seriously, Lex."

Current gave his classmate a bewildered look. "What? I figured you could ghost her if there was a problem, and they're all too scared of me for me to go over and do it... wait, why can't you lift her? Can't you just grow extra muscles? Or wrap her up in an arm filled with that super helium?"

"I could," offered Fraction.

"Uh, sorry man, I honestly thought you could just one arm her without trying." He moved to join Fraction beside the unconscious wizard. "Here, let me help."

"She could regain consciousness at any moment," Fraction said. "However, she is powerless without the ability to speak or move her arms. As you all apparently have a problem with how I handled Yifan Zhang..." Fraction put Mikayla's arms together and forced the sleeves of her leather jacket to bond together. "She shouldn't be able to cast any spells like this, but she'll still be able to answer questions, provided you take us to where Tallemaja is."

NVAE (Magnitude; NPCs: Manticore)
                  "Thank you," the sophomore said, "I didn't expect you to lend me a shoulder. Like I said, I figured either of our states could jeopardize a mission, and you should know...

"You should know that we were both under Tallemaja's influence. I don't really know the extent of what she did. Basically, it would last close to a week. She'd cast a spell, give us some sort of subliminal command, and we just... fulfilled it. Whether she laced in any sort of triggered hypnosis or something, like Lacuna? I don't know."

MILITARY BASE (Blue Knight, Greystone, Imago, Shiver, Ursa; NPCs: Verve)
                  The two girls rounded the corner and ran into Blue Knight, returning from a morning fly-over. "Good morning," Verve said, putting a hand on the Blue Knight to remove any weariness he might have been feeling.

Not far off, they could hear some of the others. Sure enough, Ursa stood in the hall, talking to Imago and Greystone.
                  Armada Status

Comment

Greystone:
                    [Jack Rexroth]

Otso was caught unawares when Jack walked in on him talking to Dennis, derailing his whole train of thought. He tried to gather his scattered thoughts and eventually just drew in a deep breath and let out a sad sigh. "I wanted to talk to both of you, actually, about yesterday."

"I wanted to apologize, to both of you, for what I said. No, how I said it. I still stand by my opinion on what happened and the course of action we seem to have set ourselves on." He turned to Dennis. "I don't really know you, you don't really know me, but you stuck by us in the thick of it and you gave us honest answers. I owe it to you to give you a fair shot, even if I don't agree with you. So, sorry."

"And Jack, you're my friend, and a damn good guy. I'd trust you with my life, hell I'd trust you with Bea's life!" Otso took a step back, lowering his hands after having become so obviously agitated. "I just worry about you. You're a good man and I worry you'll lose sight of that and do something you'll regret and not be able to take back. I'm sorry about yesterday Jack."

Otso lowered his gaze, unsure whether he should stay or go.
                    Jack wasn't really a touchy-feely kind of guy but he understood how hard it had to be for his friend to say what he was saying so he tried to be supportive and clapped a hand on his friend's shoulder. "You don't need to apologize. I get why you're upset and I'm glad you said what you said - I need to hear that kind of stuff."

"I meant what I said yesterday: once we get home I'll tell the Headmaster what I did and take whatever punishment is given."

Comment

Alex "Current" Murphy
                      HP: 1 CND: Normal

Lex rolled his eyes, "Elle, if she's not with Martin she's heading back to wherever your meetup point is."

"Martin wouldn't kill her, and nothing short of that is going to stop her,"
                      He frowned, "Besides, you really don't want me anywhere near that one. Especially after dealing with Attercop. I don't like people who tamper with other peoples minds."

He raises an eyebrow,
                      "Oh, uh, why do we care about what the mage girl says? We're just here to see you."

Comment

Magnitude
                        Kasimir Flaegler
                        HP 1

Kas shrugged at Lexus concerns and made a dismissive sound. "Honestly? I would doubt Tallemaja would do any such thing. Why would she? That is far too obvious."

"If I was her und I wished to plant a mole within the school, I would ensorcel someone unexpekted, such as one uf the staff...or me. Since her powers allow her to walk through walls, no door would keep her out und there are few residents here who do not require sleep. It would be smarter to work her mojo on someone who avoided her, who she perceives as a threat."

Kas started to tick off students on his fingers. "You, Juozas, Ellen, Elle, Dag, Tatjana und Astrid are far too prediktable for a sudden turn uf koat to haf the impakt she would want. Tallemaja would be far more likely to target me, Randy, Harry, Otso, Sarah or Miss Catargi...or multiples uf the aforementioned targets. Pirjo, Armande und Gus would be just as prediktable as you. Half the student body expekt Jack to turn out to be a psykopath, regardless uf any outside influence, und most uf the others are simply too weak to be useful."

"Relax mein freund. You haf enough on your plate as it is, do not kreate bogeymen needlessly...you will gif yourself an ulcer."

And yes...I know Kas completely disregarded Violet, but given her inherent pacifism, he tends to overlook how dangerous she can be.

Comment

"Can we PLEASE not debate zis in a location about to be overrun by ze auzorities?!" Fluxx said with exasperation.

Comment

MILITARY BASE (Blue Knight, Greystone, Imago, Shiver, Ursa; NPCs: Verve)
                            Verve watched the exchange anxiously. "Um," she said when it seemed everything was wrapped up, "I can... I mean, if you're tired, I can make it so you aren't."

FUYA TEMPLE, MOUNT PUTUO [INSIDE] (Current and Fluxx; NPCs: Fraction, Mikayla, Sprite)
                            Fraction opened her mouth to reply to Current when her exasperated brother interrupted her: "Can we PLEASE not debate zis in a location about to be overrun by ze auzorities?!"

"No," Fraction said firmly. "We're not going anywhere until you tell me what you did. You don't get to accuse ozers of manipulating me, zen try to do it yourself."

NVAE (Magnitude; NPCs: Manticore)
                            "Too many people lost their lives because of Laputa," Manticore growled. "Alina, Tat's mom, my mom..." He couldn't bring himself to utter his boyfriend's name. "Not to mention all of the people who died in K-Town, or at the Air Force Base, or at the UN Building, or...

"That does not get to happen again, Kas."
                            Armada Status

Comment

Magnitude
                              Kasimir Flaegler
                              HP 1

Kas nodded at Lexus assertion and felt the vaguest wave of guilt. He himself had never experienced what many of his classmates had. He had a relatively happy family. Both his parents and both of his sisters were still alive. The entire family now knew about their Neo-Sapien heritage and his father had known about his mother before they married. The family hadn't been hounded out of their home by ignorant, hateful, fearful or jealous people. Except for his accident, he'd had a normal, happy, childhood. Well...as normal a childhood as one could have when your mother was a member of the UN diplomatic corps.

"Ja, what happened was horrifik. The methods und ideals espoused by the Laputa organization were deplorable. We must stand fast against that...but...we must also stand fast against bekoming that. There is an old saying that it benefits all uf us to keep in mind..."

"...fight monsters long enough und you risk bekoming one yourself."

Kas sighed. "This is why I get enraged by people like your freund Vladislav. I read about his battle with Basilisk, ja? Basilisk was dangerous und kould do great harm, so Vlad blinded him. He deprifed Basilisk uf due process before meting out punishment on a defeated foe."

"The riskiest part uf what we do...all the Volunteers...is protekting freedom. Freedom is dangerous. Freedom means allowing others to lif unmolested und hoping they feel the same. This ideal means we get to be proaktif against starvation, und poverty, but must wait until someone kommits a krime before we punish them...und if possible, that punishment must konform to due process."

"To gif in to paranoia, und hatred und the impulse to kill or kripple your enemy bekause it is expedient is to bekome the very thing we are fighting against. Trading one end uf the chains for the other helps no one. Please do not gif in to the impulse to punish proaktifly. You risk bekoming that which you rage against."

Suddenly Kas didn't feel guilty. He felt tired. In all the months he'd been at the school, he'd only met a single person who actually understood and she was time and dimension tossed. Otso and Harry came closest among the students he knew, each trying to do the best they could, but nobody seemed to grasp the enormity of the task. It wasn't enough to be good. You had to do good. It wasn't about fighting crime or opposing despots or performing rescue work or helping at the homeless shelter or visiting the children's ward at the hospital. It was all those things and more...and it was none of them. It was recognizing that good was an active force, just as evil was. Being good was harder though, because goodness demanded far more risks...physically and emotionally.

Kas felt tired because every time he thought he'd discovered people who believed as he did, it turned out he was alone and alone...alone he just wasn't big enough for the job ahead of him.

Comment

Imago

"I'm fine, thanks."

OOC
                                Impeach the peach!

Completed Games:
                                Crinoverse - Avengers
                                Crinoverse - Young Avengers
                                Crinoverse - Bay City Sentinels
                                Crinoverse - Time After Time
                                Crinoverse - San Antonio Avengers
                                Crinoverse - Honnounji Academy