Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Vindicators Academy of Europe #25: Jeopardy!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #18: Decompress

Ursa
    HP: 1

Otso had slept poorly the night after they returned from Uganda. He'd tossed and turned in bed with thoughts of what he'd seen keeping him awake. This was his second time there and he was starting to understand why his dad had gone there, why he'd fought so fervently for the people there, both with fists in Uganda and with words in Vienna. He believed in righting wrongs when he encountered them. But if they were happening half a world away, did he have the right or the responsibility to intervene?

He was roused from his thoughts by Headmaster Newton's words. He looked around groggily as he sought his appointed teammates, the last week of fitful sleep and deep thoughts leaving him in less than prime condition. As he looked from one face to the next, his brow furrowed as he tried to recall what 'Fibrosis' could do. "Ahem, at the risk of sounding elementary, maybe we should go around the group and outline powers and other advantages. I can shift into a were-bear form. The added strength and durability make me dangerous up close but if I can't reach an opponent the worst I can do is resort to harsh language. My ursine form also affords me a keen sense of smell and outside of combat I've got first-aid knowledge and a plethora of languages for communication." He looked expectantly at the others.
    Last edited by McGuffin; 07-27-2015, 09:17 AM.
    Otso Karell, codenamed Ursa, on New Vindicators Academy of Europe.

Comment

• Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #20: Love Connection

WRECK ROOM (Shiver; NPCs: Niloticus, Verve, Warder)
      Violet look at her assignment curiously. She didn't know any of her new teammates well. Niloticus she had met just after the attack on Vienna--he was the new boy who turned into a crocodile man. Verve, meanwhile, couldn't take her eyes off of Magnitude's team.

She looked like she was about to pout.

Warder was the most senior of the group. Wondering if that meant he was the default leader, Shiver approached him casually. "Hey."

"Hello," the Swede said, nodding to her.

"I think we've got a good team, right?"

He looked out over the rest of their team. "I think so," he said. "Gus is our muscle; your powers are extremely versatile; Astrid has the benefit of experience from working with Kas' group... I'll try not to hold you all back too much."

He was so dour--it seemed he had still not gotten over his ex-girlfriend: Mary had left the school after her identity as Tallemaja had been revealed.

Niloticus approached them. "So, uh... what's our plan?"

"We don't even know what we're going to be doing," Warder said.

"I just meant with..." The Egyptian boy sighed. "We're supposed to be a team, right? Who's calling the shots?"

"You?" suggested Warder. "Maybe one of the girls?" He shrugged.

WRECK ROOM (Magnitude; NPCs: Diamond Dust, Leannán Sí, Tantivy)
      Diamond Dust clapped a hand down on Magnitude's shoulder. "Nice cape," he said, flashing the young man a teasing smile. "I'm not required to wear one, right?"

Tantivy rolled her eyes. "Okay, well... let's break this &$^@ down: everyone flies but me, but I can outrun any one of you, so keeping up isn't an issue. First thing I can think of... Magnitude, can you use your powers to hold particular people in place, or is it all or nothing? Like, right now, could you just hold me and Le... Lee-Anne..." She looked towards the score board. "How the $&#^ do you pronounce that?"

"Lahn-nan shee."

Tantivy looked back to Magnitude. "Can you hold both of us, but leave Diamond Dust free to move around? I was thinking that if we're facing a group, you could bind them, and I could move through and attack each of them while the $&#@ can't defend themselves."

WRECK ROOM (Blue Knight; NPCs: Felsic, Mildew, Vestige)
      "Okay, let's see wot they throw at us, ya? Remember, we're a team, and we're probably gonna get scored for just that--working as a group, not a collection of loners with the same goal. That means no running off alone, and we listen to each other's schemes, okay?"

The girls nodded in agreement; Mildew rubbed his arm as he avoided eye contact with anyone.

Felsic stepped up close to the Blue Knight and brought her voice to a whisper. "I promise you, we won't have a repeat of the fight at the park. I was trying to prove that I'm on your side, and... I was careless. I won't jeopardize everyone like that, again."

NVAA (Martin)
      Martin's secure line began to ring.

"Martin," Dewhurst said when he answered, "I found them. Mount Putuo--an island off the coast of Shanghai. Think you can meet me there?"

WRECK ROOM (Greystone; NPCs: Maze, Parabola, Quwah)
      Greystone looked over his teammates--all people he'd had some modicum of history with. Whether they knew each other on the other hand... "This prolly sounds stupid, but why don't we go over what each of our powers are? Just to be sure, ya know?"

"Sounds good," Maze said. "Why don't you start us off, Jack?"

"I can alter my body to replicate the abilities of any animal I want."

Maze looked at the other two in their group. "I channel an energy that I can turn into a rapier or jets of flames. If I engulf someone in the flames, I can trap them for a time in an otherworldly maze."

They looked to the other two expectantly.

"I'm strong," Quwah offered apathetically.

"I ricochet attacks back at the source," Parabola admitted. "I can't control it. It's for the best if you don't try to touch me..."

WRECK ROOM (Ursa; NPCs: Fibrosis, Quail, Thorn)
      "Ahem, at the risk of sounding elementary, maybe we should go around the group and outline powers and other advantages. I can shift into a were-bear form. The added strength and durability make me dangerous up close, but if I can't reach an opponent, the worst I can do is resort to harsh language. My ursine form also affords me a keen sense of smell, and outside of combat I've got first-aid knowledge and a plethora of languages for communica-."

"Well, I'm Thorn," the Italian girl said, barely waiting for Ursa to finish, "or at least that what you're supposed to call me since I'm wearing this silly costume, right?" She rolled her eyes. "I command plants. I can make them grow and animate the do whatever I want. I don't have his combat experience, but I make up for it with my leadership skills. I'm a good planner and I know how to manage people." She looked to Quail. "You're up next, Dag."

Quail fought back the urge to say something. "I can turn-"

"Hold on," Fibrosis said, holding out an arm to stop Quail. "Sorry," he told him before looking to Thorn. "He's not Dag; he's Doug."

"What?" Thorn asked.

Fibrosis pointed towards Warder. "That's Dag; this is Doug."

Thorn looked truly perplexed. "You're not Dag?" she asked Quail.

The freshman shook his head.

"Honest mistake. Sorry. Go on, Doug."

"Well, uh, I... I turn into a bird. Well, not, uh... not a bird. I mean, I s-stay this size, but I... I... Well, it's like Ursa, except no one is afraid of a were-quail, but I can fly. I don't like to, though. I'm sort of afraid of heights. I get talons, though... and feathers... and... and that's it really. I can play the banjo, though! But... but that's not really that useful here, I guess. I'm sorry. I... I mean, I... I can..." He looked as though he might begin to hyperventilate. "Pass!"

Thorn and Fibrosis continued to stare at their teammate long after he had finished talking. "Ooooooookay. Well, thank you, Doug. That was very... educational." Thorn looked to the last member of their team then. "Guess that brings us to you, Mark."

"Matt," corrected Fibrosis.

Thorn pointed to Mildew. "I thought he was Matt."

"He is," Fibrosis said. "I'm Matt, too. There are dozens of us. Dozens!"
      Armada Status

Comment

"'Old on." Martin says, "Let me conference call in Lex, I would need 'im to get zere."

Martin hit's the conference button then dials Lex's mobile, when the other teen picks up he'll hit conference again to connect the three.

Comment

• Re: New Vindicators Academy of Europe #18: Decompress

Ursa
          HP: 1

Otso rolled his eyes at Rose's egotism. "Since I failed to add it earlier, I'm Otso, or Ursa while we're in costume. If you had my combat experience, Rose, you'd realize the importance of using codename's while in the field, as well as wearing our New Vindicators uniforms. Besides the symbolism inherent to them, they also offer protection to us. For instance, I can assure you that Magnitude was glad he wore his when we went to Uganda a week ago, considering it meant the difference between bruising and gunshot wounds."

He tried to give Doug a reassuring look. "The versatility of her powers are an asset, but don't discount your own abilities yet Doug. You heard the Headmaster, we're here to learn, and it's not all about being scary or punching holes through reality like Quintessence. It's about helping others and doing the best we can with what we've got."

"So, Matt, what do you bring to the table?" Otso looked at the last member of their team to spoke, his curiousity evident.
          Otso Karell, codenamed Ursa, on New Vindicators Academy of Europe.

Comment

Magnitude
            Kasimir Flaegler
            HP 3

Helmet tucked under one arm, Kas was feeling pretty casual with his team. He didn't know Leannan Si' personally, but he'd taken classes from Fey and enjoyed her style of instruction. Hopefully that same professional but approachable personality ran in the family. He'd had slightly more contact with Herta and while she had a mouth that could make a sailor blush, she was no slouch in an emergency. She suffered the same prejudice that Felsic, Rheid and Niloticus did, being a former pawn of Laputa, but Kas was determined not to let her past color his opinion. Lexus and Rheid had performed superbly with the Volunteers and Tantivy had held up her end of things during the affair with the mages. Certainly, she might have a more forgiving, perhaps even friendly attitude toward members of Laputa, not shared by the rest of the student body... especially Lex and Martin, should they return...but he had faith in her nonetheless. As for Juozas... Juozas was the very first student to throw in with the Volunteers. Hell, the Volunteers had not even been a thing until Juozas, then Ellen and then Buddy and Astrid made it a thing. People thought Kas had created the Volunteers, but he hadn't. He provided the impetus for the creation and he provided the mission statement, so to speak, but Juozas and Ellen actually created the team.

Letting his senses wash over the assembled groups, Kas wondered if they were going to get the recognition they deserved. Then Juozas clapped him on the shoulder.

"The kape...ja...it was mein sisters idea. I haf been up to my ears in katching up with schoolwork, so in order to be more visible on patrol, I haf taken on the accoutrements of a komik book karacter. I haf also been instrukted to fly more slowly and makestikally. The next thing you know, they are going to have me towing banners." He made air quotes with his free hand. "Eat at Hans's."

It occured to him as he spoke, that he was one of the few students here with a good homelife...or so it seemed. Jack's father was in prison and his mother was dead...or at least long out of the picture. Martin's parents had turned out to be terrorists. Lex's brother was a nightmare...though his parents seemed nice enough. Otso's mother was dead. Matt Meyers was in a similar situation, only his father had been killed by the UUB, as had Juozas'. Herta had been raised in the most nightmarish atmosphere he could think of, a literal training and indoctrination camp for neo-sapien criminals. Doug, Eve and Jason were refugees from a government that wanted to stick them in concentration camps. Everywhere you turned at the school was a horrific story of suffering and despair. It was a miracle more of them didn't go crazy and start slaughtering people.

Tantivy interrupted his musings. "Ja, mein powers are kompletely under mein control. I do not accidentally target allies."

Then Tantivy started to immediately get into combat tactics...mostly ignoring any contributions that Juozas or Leannan Si' might make.

"That is an excellent thought for a kombat situation and I am certain that is what we'll do...but let us not forget, there will be many a circumstance that does not require we beat people up...or that will not be all that we do. We may be asked to respond to a fire or a ferry disaster just as easily. Herr Newton is right about the sckool koming under assault with abominable frequency, but if that was the only koncern...why are not the staff involved? Plus, why aren't you and Harry and Ellen and Jack giving classes on hand to hand combat for students like Beatrice or Doug or Astrid first?"

Kas rubbed his chin, while cupping his elbow with his other hand. Without thinking about it, he supported his helmet with his gravity powers. He wasn't showing off, he was just so accustomed to using his powers that it was second nature to use them that way.

"There is more going on here than simple kombat exercises. For kombat, you would want to haf kombat teams and support teams, each with specifik duties. This is more akin to a trust exercise with a kombat komponent built in as a sekondary goal. Few of these teams are an ideal mix of powers for kombat effikacy, though ours komes kloser than most. We are however divided up in ways that allow each team the flexibility to respond to a variety of challenges."

"That being the kase, why don't we take a step back and treat this moment as the first time any of us has met and introduce ourselves and what we bring to the metaphorikal table in the way of powers, skills and experience. Then we should establish a unique group identity. It sounds silly, but the military does it with special units, because our greatest strength will be akting as a unit, not stumbling over one another by akting as individuals who happen to haf a kommon goal."

Kas knew Tantivy's lack of patience would make this difficult for her, but honestly, if he had her powers, he might lack patience too. Time must move abominably slowly for Herta. He wondered if Lex suffered from the same sort of disassociation of subjective time. It would certainly explain a lot about his and Herta's general temperments.

"I will go first. Mein name is Kasimir Flaegler, codenamed Magnitude. I kommand gravity, which allows me to do a multitude of things. I kan increase or decrease the general gravity in a lokalized area or the specifik gravity around individual targets. I kan fly at about 402 kilometers per hour and I kan share this ability with others. I kan produce a lifting force of 1 short ton, with maximum lifting force of about 6 short tons. Offensively I kan katch opponents in a gravity well or produce partikle beams and I am studying the potential uses of my powers for different effekts, but I haf not mastered any other uses yet."

"I am trained in diplomacy and law should negotiation be necessary. I am however, blind, so I kannot read or differentiate color or perceive images of any sort. To compensate, I haf the ability to spatially map an area by reading how the various waves and partikles interakt with solid, liquid or partikulate gasses moving through the area. I kannot visualize gasses or smoke that is not heavy in partikulates, so my basik perception is inferior to yours. I do, however haf a 360 degree field of view, which operates with greater akuity for a greater distance than most peoples' vision."

"Who wishes to go next?"
            Last edited by Horsenhero; 07-27-2015, 01:38 PM.

Comment

The Blue Knight

Gwyn gave Pirjo a small smile. "You don't have to prove a thing. You helped get Skew in Morocco...well, Skew 2, e'en it. I was proper careless in my early days with Paladin, anyhow."

He looked to the others. "Now, Felsic and I can take the most beating, so if this simulation is a scrap, don't be afraid to get behind us. Given that, if we ever need to do more than one thing at a time, its best we split up into groups, so me 'n Mildew or Vestige, with the other going with Felsic, ya? Which of those groups...well, that'll depend on what specifically, we have to do."

He smiled again, making a fist of encouragement at about chest level. "And whatever else, let's try and have some fun out there."
              [I]Any sound can shake the air. My voice shakes the heart![/I]

Comment

• Fox Tails: Tale One

Lex ran through the streets of Tokyo at night, enjoying the feeling of wind on his face.

In theory he was patrolling to keep people safe. In reality he was really just hoping to run into somebody who deserved a serious ass kicking. After what had happened to Mike and Violet he’d spent a few nights trying to patrol Vienna.

It was giant waste of time. Crux wasn’t trying anything, and short of dodging Kas’ Volunteers he wasn’t really accomplishing anything of note. But he found himself sitting in his room aching to do anything, and the next thing he knew he was sneaking out of the school yet again and running through the streets.

As a speedster knowing the layout of the local cities was invaluable, but it was a lame an excuse as patrolling. In the end the truth of the matter he felt helpless to help his girlfriend, his friends, or even protect the school that had kicked his ass out. He couldn’t do anything, but staying in the dorms wasn’t good enough.

So he ran.

It was exhausting and painful but at the same time there was something exhilarating about moving at these speeds. The night air in his face? It felt like freedom.

All the way up until he tripped over the dog.

Lex had great balance from years of gymnastics, and when he started running the whole world slowed to a state where he could see where he was going and watch for tripping hazards. It had taken a while to get used to moving at those speeds, to watch for tripping hazards, but he’d always been really good at it.

But as he watched his leg come down at the dog he swore hadn’t been there a second before, he was forced to make a choice: Pull his leg back and suffer road rash a super speeds, or finish his step and kill a dog.

He forced himself to stop, saving the dog, but throwing himself completely off balance.

He brought his hands forward like a diver, throwing himself over the dog, catching the ground and turning his ballistic trajectory into a forward roll and jumped back to his feet.

“Hey, you stupid mongrel,” Lex swore, as he spun and skidded to a stop.

He shook his fist at the red and white tail that was already disappearing around the corner.

“Leash laws! Obey them!“ He shouted in frustration as he examined his palms to see how torn up they were when a sound reached his ears.

When he was running it was almost impossible to hear anything. The wind rushing against his ears obscured almost everything if he was moving at full speed.

At full speed he hadn’t heard the terrified screams. His steam of cursing died on his tongue as he frantically turned his head trying to pin down the source of the screaming. Left? No, Right!

He burst forward hitting a door hard enough with his shoulder to cause agony to roll up his entire side.

“Stupid Murphy, real #$*#ing stupid,” he snapped at himself.

It was a warehouse, and the door opened outward, unless he’d been Jack the door wouldn’t have budged an inch. He jammed his finger into the lock and a burst of energy later the whole mechanisim was a mass of melting metal. A few quick tugs with a hand covered in the sleeve of his leather coat popped the door open and he was inside.

Down around a corner he ran, into a small ramshackle office that had been built out of plywood and wishful thinking, and finally came into sight of the source of all the noise.

In the faint flickering light of a dying bulb he could see a small girl, six to eight years old, wearing a pajama shirt was backed all the way into a corner shrieking as a man in a business suit closed in on her.

“Hey!” Lex roared as he came to a stop, “What the hell you think you’re doing you-“

The man turned and Lex panicked.

He faced off against gods and monsters. He’d seen the pillars of heaven fall at his own hand, watched friends and family fall bleeding to the ground. He’d known pain, fear, and dread.

But as the man turned to him he felt a primal reaction he’d never felt before in his life. The man’s skin was grey and wrong, but it was his eyes that filled him with terror. They were empty hollow voids that sucked in all the light around them. And he knew in his heart they’d swallow him up.

The man opened his mouth revealing an inhuman circle of teeth and bellowed at him as it charged.

Lex locked in place did the only thing that came to mind. He unleashed the floodgates and let his powers run wild. For a moment he glowed like the sun as electricity burst from his skin, creating a deadly halo. The monster flinched back hesitating in the face of this unexpected reaction.

That was all the time Lex needed to launch a blast of superheated plasma into the thing’s chest. He didn’t have a chance to build up a proper bolt, it would only stun the creature at best, but it would give Lex the time he needed to get his powers under control and take the thing down hard.

But instead of staggering back the creature exploded.

The lightbulb had died in the fight, and suddenly Lex was the only light in the entire building. The only sounds were the crackling of the power dancing across his body, and the frightened sobbing of the girl.

He took a deep breath and tried to get his bearings. The monster was gone. It hadn’t left a trace. No blood, no smoking shoes, nothing.

“No way I hit it that hard,” Lex mumbled as he pulled the power down and locked it up deep inside.

A second later the room was dark, and he was forced to hold a hand over his head, making it glow so he could see what he was doing.

“Hey. Uh, hey there, little girl. Come on we need to go,” He said, trying to sound reassuring.

The girl ignored him, huddling in her corner crying.

“$*- err-fricking Japanese,” He reminded himself, “Speak Japanese…. Uh… ko-ni-chi-wa?”

The girl just cried harder.

“Come on, please?” he pleaded, “We need to get you out of here, it’s not safe.”

If she understood him he had no sign of it.

He sighed and pulled out his phone. Nobody he knew was still awake. Gaspar turned his phone off, and even if he could call Martin he didn’t know what to tell him. He couldn’t even read the street signs. The school might have been an option, but at this point in the night there would be nobody to answer the phones.

He needed to find some police officers, or firemen or something.

But after being attacked by that thing he couldn’t bring himself to leave the little girl in the warehouse. He stepped forward to pick her up, but her voice went up into a piercing scream and he retreated. She was no Tatjana, he could handle the noise but he wasn’t willing to traumatize the girl any more than she already had been.

“Come on, come on…” he snapped his fingers as a thought occurred to him. He turned his cellphone on to flashlight mode and slid across the concrete towards the girl.

A part of him hoped she’d pick it up and dial a number. She grabbed it, alright, but she just clutched it like a drowning man clutched a life preserver. She shone it into the dark corners of the small office, then pointed it right at Lex, watching him with a terrified expression.

He couldn’t blame her, she’d been stuck in the room with that thing.

“Okay, not good enough, uh…” He snapped his fingers again, “I’ll be right back.”

He hated leaving her, but it would only be for a few seconds, he promised himself. He turned and ran as fast as he could back towards a toy store he’d seen with a beat up old vending machine outside. A few Yen and seconds later he was back in the room with a big plush Raichu.

The girl gaped at him as smiled and offered her the plush toy. He wiggled the lightning bolt on the tail back and forth, smiled then set the doll down as close to her as he could before taking a step away. The girl sniffled, obviously still afraid of him, but after a moment she reached forward and snatched up the toy. She held it up like a shield as she sat there.

“Okay… now what?” He said to himself. He was kind of stuck now. She had his phone, and he couldn’t leave her. He really hadn’t thought this through.

He turned and walked back to the door of the little room and looked outside to make sure nobody else was around.

That was when the little girl started talking to him. In Japanese.

He was just happy she’d tried talking to him to care that he was still screwed in the communication department. But maybe, just maybe.

It took him another five minutes of coaxing, but he managed to convince her to follow him. She still wouldn’t let him get close enough to touch her, much less hold her hand, but it was progress. Ten minutes later they’d escaped the warehouse, and found her a bench by a streetlight.

At this time of night there was nobody else around, which left him on the hook. A couple quick runs later he managed to find a couple of vending machines, buying a couple different cans of… something, and some food that kind of looked like it might be candy. He set them on the bench by the girl, then set his coat next to her.

“Okay. Right. You stay here, I’ll be right back with help, okay?” He said slowly to the girl.

She looked at him blankly.

“Cool.”

He turned and ran again, this time looking for a police officer. Somebody close. It took a bit more running than he’d liked, but he finally found one only a few blocks away. Convincing the officer to help turned out to be a lot more trouble.

The officer ignored him at first, then started repeating “No English” when Lex tried talking to him. He set his jaw in a murderous scowl and stomped right up to the officer, who returned the act with a look that dared the American to try anything.

Then Lex grinned as an idea came to him. He snatched the policeman’s hat off his head and ran. Just fast enough that the police officer was just out of reach, but so close that if the man could just run a little faster he’d catch him. He managed to keep the officer’s attention for the five blocks it took to get him to the little girl.

The little girl, now wearing a bomber jacket, clutching a stuffed toy in one arm, with the cellphone flashlight in one hand, yelled with a mouthful of candy at the sight of the cop.

A half an hour later the police had swarmed the area, and the school had been called. And his nice late night run had turned into a circus with a scared girl, an angry cop, and a pissed off school official.

“You are supposed to be in your room,” The man declared in a thick accent, his disapproval slightly less so.

“Yeah, well, here we are.”

“We have rules for a reason,” The man noted flatly.

“Rules are guidelines,” Lex said with a shrug, ignoring the man’s tone, “To keep people safe, except when they don’t. Rules without a purpose is just stupid.”

“Rules are to be followed. No exceptions,” The man snapped.

Lex looked at him lazily, “I saved a little girl’s life. What have you done tonight?”

“Your American arrogance might have been cute back home, but it has no place here,” The man snapped, jabbing a finger at Lex’s chest, “And neither will you if you do not start listening.”

Lex dodged the jab, easily, disappearing and reappearing leaning against the lamppost off to the side.

“Gee, that’d be a shame. So, I figure I can just take your example for that, huh? You seem like a great listener,” he noted in a sarcastically eager tone with a matching smile.

The man just stormed off.

“Yeah, good riddance.”

A set of eyes watched from the darkness only a little ways away.

The god of lightning had potential, but it was a dangerous creature. All of the lightning gods had great power, for good or ill, and they were all ruled by their passions. These passions could bring entire cities to waste. Or protect people from the greatest of harm defying all odds.

The matter was of no consequence. The creature had been killed by its weaknesses, fire and light. Two things the lightning god could bring in great quantities. The girl was safe. It’s duty complete.

Still it paused to consider the situation. The lightning god, the fire god, the storm god, and the trickster god. All of them had great potential in the events that might come. It bared more consideration.

Nobody noticed when a small red fox trotted out from an alley and disappeared into the night.

Comment

Alex "Current" Murphy
                  HP: 2 CND: Normal

Lex danced around pulling the mop as he moved, spinning and jumping wildly.

On the floor of Tokyo

Or down in London town to go, go
                  With the record selection
                  And the mirror's reflection
                  I'm dancing with myself

He spun and slide to the side.

When there's no-one else in sight
                  In the crowded lonely night
                  Well I wait so long
                  For my love vibration
                  And I'm dancing with myself

The mop shot left and right as he strutted.

Oh dancing with myself
                  Oh dancing with myself
                  Well there's nothing to lose
                  And there's nothing to prove
                  I'll be dancing with myself

He spun and noted a couple girls walking past the hall he was cleaning. He pantomimed looking around with one hand while he spun the mop with the other.

If I looked all over the world
                  And there's every type of girl
                  But your empty eyes
                  Seem to pass me by
                  Leave me dancing with myself

He shrugs helplessly then goes right back to dancing as he swings the mop along the floor

So let's sink another drink
                  'Cause it'll give me time to think
                  If I had the chance
                  I'd ask the world to dance
                  And I'll be dancing with myself

He idly looked around and caught the sight of his "supervisor" storming off in a huff. After everything that had happened they decided that breaking the rules deserved a punishment regardless of any of the good he'd accomplished. So they set him to cleaning without the benifit of his powers. He'd proceeded to sing and goof off the entire time while he "cleaned".

Truth be told he wasn't actually doing a terrible job of either singing or cleaning, but the fact that he wasn't acting like he was suffering had only made a few people more upset.

He grinned as he continued to sing.

Oh dancing with myself
                  Oh dancing with myself
                  Well there's nothing to lose
                  And there's nothing to prove
                  I'll be dancing with myself

His phone went off and he gave his pocket a funny look before popping it up to his ear, "Lex Murphy Croons the Classics; Caller what song would you like to hear tonight?"

Comment

Originally posted by Arkrite View Post
                    His phone went off and he gave his pocket a funny look before popping it up to his ear, "Lex Murphy Croons the Classics; Caller what song would you like to hear tonight?"
                    That took Martin aback. He knew Lex valued such things though so his mind raced. "Long time listener, first time caller. I need to 'ear 'I get Around' from ze Beach Boys."

"Agent Dew'erst is on ze ozer line wiz a lead on Elle-Lacuna. On an island near Shanghai. I could use your assistance."

Comment

Greystone:
                      [Jack Rexroth]
                      HP: 2

Greystone looked over his teammates--all people he'd had some modicum of history with. Whether they knew each other on the other hand... "This prolly sounds stupid, but why don't we go over what each of our powers are? Just to be sure, ya know?"

"Sounds good," Maze said. "Why don't you start us off, Jack?"

"I can alter my body to replicate the abilities of any animal I want."

Maze looked at the other two in their group. "I channel an energy that I can turn into a rapier or jets of flames. If I engulf someone in the flames, I can trap them for a time in an otherworldly maze."

They looked to the other two expectantly.

"I'm strong," Quwah offered apathetically.

"I ricochet attacks back at the source," Parabola admitted. "I can't control it. It's for the best if you don't try to touch me..."
                      Jack nodded as the others shared their powers with the others. He already knew what their powers were, aside from the change in Kirstie's powers, which used to be only able to work against energy, so he didn't get any surprises. "Alright so now that we're a bit more familiar with one another let's deal with the other issue we need to sort out - who's gonna be the boss of our squad? I'm sure we're expected to have one. It does make sense; one person makes all the calls in the field and bears the responsibility if they're the wrong one." Jack looked at the other teens in turn as he spoke, considering each one of them mentally. Ellen had a bit of experience but not a whole lot, and the same could be said for Kirstie too. Mouloud on the other hand had none at all, plus there was the fact he was committed to pacifism to the point he'd not even defend himself.

As he looked at all three of them with that mindset Jack felt his new power take effect, and suddenly the two girls and one guy lit up like Christmas trees on the eve. For a split second his eyes darted above their heads; both Kirstie and Mouloud had the crimson teardrop over their heads while Ellen sported a set of yellow eyes that honestly kind of creeped him out. That part was getting easier to understand, the rest of what he saw though? He was still working it out.

OOC:

Comment

Alex "Current" Murphy
                        HP: 2 CND: Normal

Lex scratches his head, "Huh... Okay. Where are you? I'll be down in a minute."

He considered the floor for a moment then shrugged. The mop and bucket got tossed back into the janitor closet, and he dropped a sign warning that the floor was, in fact, slippery when wet

Comment

Violet Lear
                          HP: 2

Violet shrugged. "I assumed it would be based on seniority. Experience right?" She looked at Dag. "Or if we based it on powers, you can see things the rest of us can't right? That'd make you good for a big picture kind of guy. Tell us where we're needed and put us in place to succeed. Then you're not holding us back."
                          Last edited by Shock; 08-09-2015, 05:33 PM.

Comment

"I'm in ze gardens by ze cherry blossom tree but let me click ze zree of us in a conference call which offers a little more privacy zan ze speaker phone." Martin does so.

"Now, Agent Dew'erst, what are ze remnants of Laputa doing on ze island?"

Comment

NVAA (Martin)
                              Martin's secure line began to ring.

"Martin," Dewhurst said when he answered, "I found them. Mount Putuo--an island off the coast of Shanghai. Think you can meet me there?"

"'Old on," said Martin, "let me conference call in Lex, I would need 'im to get zere."

"No!" Dewhurst exclaimed. Too late: Martin had pulled the phone from his face and was working to patch in the other sophomore.

"Lex Murphy Croons the Classics! Caller, what song would you like to hear tonight?"

"Long time listener, first time caller. I need to 'ear 'I get Around' from ze Beach Boys," Martin said. "Agent Dew'erst is on ze ozer line wiz a lead on Elle-Lacuna. On an island near Shanghai. I could use your assistance."

"Huh... Okay. Where are you? I'll be down in a minute."

"I'm in ze gardens by ze cherry blossom tree but let me click ze zree of us in a conference call which offers a little more privacy zan ze speaker phone." Martin switched over to the conference call. "Now, Agent Dew'erst, what are ze remnants of Laputa doing on ze island?"

Silence answered him. After a few moments, the French teen realized Dewhurst was no longer on the line.

Seconds later, the secure line rang again--with another incoming call from Dewhurst.

"I sent you a new, secure phone because I believed your lines--PLURAL--as in yours, Lex's, and Mira's--might be tapped after the incident in London. I've been doing this on my own, Martin--behind the backs of my superiors... and by conferencing in Lex, you've likely just told them that I've been going around them, conducting my own investigation, and you've given them a pretty good idea of where we're headed.

"Would you like to call Vauxhall Cross and specifically name the island? I can give you their number, if you'd like? Better yet, assuming that--since Tallemaja and Elle so easily posed as MI18 agents and might still be watching us, maybe you'd like to tip them off that we know where they are, and that we're coming for them? I mean, in case you want to make sure we don't have the element of surprise?"

WRECK ROOM (Ursa; NPCs: Fibrosis, Quail, Thorn)
                              "Since I failed to add it earlier, I'm Otso, or Ursa while we're in costume. If you had my combat experience, Rose, you'd realize the importance of using codename's while in the field, as well-"

"Excuse me?" Thorn snapped. "I fought these human traffickers. Magnitude and I went in alone against those French brothers when the city came under attack. I faced that Durendal woman and didn't lose control over my abilities like some people. Violet and I were abducted, freed ourselves, then saved our boyfriends from some weird cult guys." She crossed her arms and shot the Finn a glare. "I've got plenty of combat experience."

Fibrosis dragged his hands down his face. "I don't believe he meant it as an insult. You yourself said you lacked his combat expertise-"

"Yeah, I mean, like... punch and kicking and stuff! I've seen combat, but I'm not a fighter! I fight with my powers!"

"Still, I believe Ursa was simply trying to tell us about using codenames."

"Yeah, well, how am I supposed to know what your codenames are?"

Fibrosis pointed to the score board on the backwall which displayed everyone's codenames.

"Yeah," she said, rolling her eyes, "but how am I going to know who's who?"

"Okay, well... Doug turns into a quail, so he's Quail, and I'm Fibrosis. I absorb energy--which I'm just realizing none of you can command--and use it to heal my body."

Ursa watched as Quail sighed morosely. "She's a pain," he grumbled, "but she's still more valuable than I am."

"The versatility of her powers are an asset," Ursa told him, "but don't discount your own abilities yet, Doug. You heard the Headmaster: we're here to learn, and it's not all about being scary or punching holes through reality like Quintessence. It's about helping others and doing the best we can with what we've got."

Suddenly, walls appeared around their group. The walls took on a light blue tint and clouds began to spread across the backdrop. It looked as though they were now standing in a field, with no surroundings in any direction. One-by-one, buildings began to sprout up from the ground, which now took on an asphalt-like texture. All around them, the Wreck Room was transforming into a city street.

Pict appeared before them. "I'll be proctoring today's test," he said. "Today, I want to keep things simple: it's a fight. The Wreck Room is going to unleash a super-powered threat on this city. People will be in danger. Your job is to contain the threat with the least amount of civilian casualties and property damage.

"Good luck, New Vindicators."

Pict vanished suddenly, only to be replaced by the number 5. A second later, that digit turned into a 4, then a 3 and a 2 and a 1. Finally, the word "GO" flashed in the air before them.

Deeper into the city, they could hear cries of alarm; from around the corner, a jet of red flames shot through the air.

WRECK ROOM (Magnitude; NPCs: Diamond Dust, Leannán Sí, Tantivy)
                              "That is an excellent thought for a kombat situation and I am certain that is what we'll do... but let us not forget, there will be many a circumstance that does not require we beat people up... or that will not be all that we do. We may be asked to respond to a fire or a ferry disaster just as easily. Herr Newton is right about the sckool koming under assault with abominable frequency, but if that was the only koncern... why are not the staff involved? Plus, why aren't you and Harry and Ellen and Jack giving classes on hand to hand combat for students like Beatrice or Doug or Astrid first?"

"For the same reason I'm not &$^# thinking about strategies that don't involve me punching and kicking people: I'm not a &#^@ people person." Tantivy shrugged. "It doesn't bother me. I know what my strengths are, and I'm well aware of my weaknesses.

"I'm not just fast, I'm smart, too--like Erudite or Jason only not nearly as strong. I guess it's just an aspect of my super-speed," she incorrectly guessed. "I process information faster than a normal person and I retain what I learn. It only took me a couple of weeks to become one of the best muya thai fighters on the planet. I pick it up fast, but I know I wouldn't have the patience to pass on what I know, nor would I know where to start.

Kas rubbed his chin, while cupping his elbow with his other hand. Without thinking about it, he supported his helmet with his gravity powers. He wasn't showing off, he was just so accustomed to using his powers that it was second nature to use them that way.

"There is more going on here than simple kombat exercises. For kombat, you would want to haf kombat teams and support teams, each with specifik duties. This is more akin to a trust exercise with a kombat komponent built in as a sekondary goal. Few of these teams are an ideal mix of powers for kombat effikacy, though ours komes kloser than most. We are however divided up in ways that allow each team the flexibility to respond to a variety of challenges."

"Not only that," Tantivy said, "but look at the other teams. We were told that they balanced the power--making sure that you, Blue Knight, Lexus, and Rheid weren't all on the same team, while Beatrice, Astrid, that frog girl, and the pacifist weren't stuck with each other. I think there's more to it than that, though: Larrikin is on an all-male team. Astrid is over there pouting because she's not with you, Armande and Venefica aren't together... Think about it: if Larrikin had a female teammate, he'd spend the whole time flirting with them; Astrid would be more focused on impressing you than the actual mission; Armande would ignore the rest of his team to protect his defenseless girlfriend...

"The teams are tailored to our personality. Hell, even this team is. They know what would happen if they put me with someone like Jack... so they stuck me with one of the few people who treats me like the person I am, and not who I was... who also happens to be someone who commands respect. I mean, that's why the other two haven't given me any $^#% yet, right?" She looked to Diamond Dust and Leannán Sí in turn. "You can't help but follow his example, right? I mean, you still blame me for the part I played in what happened to Alina." Diamond Dust looked away. "And you've got your head shoved so far up that ©&%+ Rose's ass you don't see me as anything but $#!* on your shoe, right?" Leannán Sí began to blush--likely not at how accurate Tantivy was, but the word she'd chosen to describe rose.

"That being the kase," Magnitude said, hoping to exsect the awkwardness Tantivy had just injected their group with, "why don't we take a step back and treat this moment as the first time any of us has met and introduce ourselves and what we bring to the metaphorikal table in the way of powers, skills and experience. Then we should establish a unique group identity. It sounds silly, but the military does it with special units, because our greatest strength will be akting as a unit, not stumbling over one another by akting as individuals who happen to haf a kommon goal.

"I will go first. Mein name is Kasimir Flaegler, codenamed Magnitude. I kommand gravity, which allows me to do a multitude of things. I kan increase or decrease the general gravity in a lokalized area or the specifik gravity around individual targets. I kan fly at about 402 kilometers per hour and I kan share this ability with others. I kan produce a lifting force of 1 short ton, with maximum lifting force of about 6 short tons. Offensively I kan katch opponents in a gravity well or produce partikle beams and I am studying the potential uses of my powers for different effekts, but I haf not mastered any other uses yet.

"I am trained in diplomacy and law should negotiation be necessary. I am however, blind, so I kannot read or differentiate color or perceive images of any sort. To compensate, I haf the ability to spatially map an area by reading how the various waves and partikles interakt with solid, liquid or partikulate gasses moving through the area. I kannot visualize gasses or smoke that is not heavy in partikulates, so my basik perception is inferior to yours. I do, however haf a 360 degree field of view, which operates with greater akuity for a greater distance than most peoples' vision.

"Who wishes to go next?"

"Tantivy," the mouthy girl said. "I run fast. I kick things. I'm smarter than the rest of you $#@*." She shrugged. "That's about all I've got."

The other two looked at her strangely. "Well, uh... I'm Diamond Dust. I turn into a cloud of frozen crystals. I'm one of the Volunteers, so I've got some field experience."

"I'm Leannán Sí and I can shrink down and fly when I shrink."

Suddenly, walls appeared around their group. The walls took on a light blue tint and clouds began to spread across the backdrop. It looked as though they were now standing in a field, with no surroundings in any direction. One-by-one, buildings began to sprout up from the ground, which now took on an asphalt-like texture. All around them, the Wreck Room was transforming into a city street.

Pict appeared before them. "I'll be proctoring today's test," he said. "Today, I want to keep things simple: it's a fight. The Wreck Room is going to unleash a super-powered threat on this city. People will be in danger. Your job is to contain the threat with the least amount of civilian casualties and property damage.

Pict vanished suddenly, only to be replaced by the number 5. A second later, that digit turned into a 4, then a 3 and a 2 and a 1. Finally, the word "GO" flashed in the air before them.

Deeper into the city, they could hear cries of alarm; from around the corner, a jet of red flames shot through the air.

WRECK ROOM (Blue Knight; NPCs: Felsic, Mildew, Vestige)
                              "Now, Felsic and I can take the most beating, so if this simulation is a scrap, don't be afraid to get behind us. Given that, if we ever need to do more than one thing at a time, its best we split up into groups, so me 'n Mildew or Vestige, with the other going with Felsic, ya? Which of those groups...well, that'll depend on what specifically, we have to do."

"I should probably go with Felsic," Mildew said, eyeing the blonde lecherously.

Felsic flashed the Blue Knight a worried look.

Realizing that this was the start of their exercise, the Blue Knight smiled to his team as he made a fist of encouragement at about chest level. "And whatever else, let's try and have some fun out there."

WRECK ROOM (Greystone; NPCs: Maze, Parabola, Quwah)
                              "Alright, so now that we're a bit more familiar with one another let's deal with the other issue we need to sort out: who's gonna be the boss of our squad? I'm sure we're expected to have one. It does make sense: one person makes all the calls in the field and bears the responsibility if they're the wrong one."

"Either you or Ellen," Parabola said. She was miserable, and Greystone couldn't tell if it was because of the change in how her powers worked or because of Lex's expulsion.

The impassive Quwah nodded in agreement, but Maze didn't share their feelings. "It should be Jack," she said firmly. "He has more experience than I do."

WRECK ROOM (Shiver; NPCs: Niloticus, Verve, Warder)
                              Shiver shrugged. "I assumed it would be based on seniority. Experience right?" She looked at Warder. "Or if we based it on powers, you can see things the rest of us can't right? That'd make you good for a big picture kind of guy. Tell us where we're needed and put us in place to succeed. Then you're not holding us back."

Warder scoffed at her comment. "Oh, yeah... My power let's me see things. That's how I was completely blindsided by my girlfriend being a spy for the people who killed two of my classmates and tried to destroy the whole city. I'm great at noticing what no one else does."

"I'll do it!" Verve said cheerily.

"Maybe it should be Violet," Warder said. "She was out there fighting when Siegfried's goons attacked Vienna. She's got more experience than the rest of us."

"I'm a Volunteer," Astrid argued. "I went to another dimension with Kas and fought knights and soldiers and... and evil dukes!"

Originally posted by Michuru81
                              Let's recycle an old map!

Each square is 5'. Everyone begins in A1. On your turn, tell me where you move to. Position will be tracked in the initiative order.

Whatever action you decide to take, toss out an initiative roll.
                              Armada Status

Comment

"Apologies. Still learning ze ins and outs of cloak-and-dagger operations and I wasn't zinking. Again, apologies. So Is zere nozing we can do now?" Perhaps it was for the best. It might do little good to confront the duo without a way to clean Elle's mind and Headmistress Fischer hasn't contacted Martin about a meeting with Aurelius yet. Nor had Gwen heeded an e-mail requesting her aid - Though if Rembrandt had divined that her answering would jeopardize their anonymity that could explain it.

A small part of his mind railed that Dewherst only said he needed a 'secure line' not that he thought all three of their phones were bugged. Martin made a note to himself to remember to tell the others to regulate their calls.
                                Last edited by flynnarrel; 07-28-2015, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X