Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [3e IC] Young Hero initiative: Full of Sound and Fury

Star Island

Discovered floating in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean 4 months after the Merge, this artificial island shaped like a five-pointed star 8 miles long from point to point has seen hectic activity within the last one and a half years.

Originally a mysterious expanse of jungle atop a vast system of generators, strangely empty rooms and a sophisticated propulsion system, it has beein seized by a non-government group funded by and consisting of the brightest, altruistic and most affluent people of the post-Merge universe.

Why? To do one thing and one thing only: Provide the world with heroes in the years to come. The Chaos Incursion showed beyond a doubt that this was not just an option, but a necessity. And so, the YHI was founded. Extremely well-funded and supported by numerous ultra-tech companies, within a surprisingly short time period, the island was outfitted with state-of-the-art protection, installations and buildings meant to house not only the future heroes but also provide them with training and education.

These days, Star Island boasts enough room for 300 students - although most rooms are still empty - several auditoriums and classrooms, three holographic " danger simulation rooms", a race-and-parkour track, a large entertainment center and library, a still impressive expanse of jungle and several hidden defensive systems enough to stop any but the most outrageous assaults. The teachers and instructors are drawn from among experts in the fields of education and powers, with occasional guest lectures and appearances by heroes and other powered individuals.

Oh, and, of course, free Wi-Fi.

Each student has a room to themselves and, in their free time, access to all facilities.

It is currently Monday around noon and you are on a 1-hour lunch break. How do you spend your time? A short intro post from everyone would be nice.

Re: Young Hero initiative: Full of Sound and Fury

Osamu Ryou / Mergebane
    HP: 1
    ~-----o-----~

"Itadakimasu." Came a muttered voice, the lone occupant of a table taking up one corner of the cafeteria. By all accounts he seemed like a fairly normal young teen, heavy clothing covering up his slender frame while well groomed black hair tilted as he bowed his head towards his clapped hands. Yet there was something off about him, some reason for why he had purposefully chosen to be as far away from the center of the room as possible. One might've thought he was simply shy if it wasn't for that uneasy feeling others got when they were around him, something they couldn't quite put their finger on. The truth was, in his opinion, that he simply didn't belong here.

No, not just Star Island and the YHI. He didn't belong in this universe as a whole, not as it had now become. This child was an oddity. A glitch in the matrix, vestigial, the remnant of a now long bygone age that everyone now knew as the pre-merge. The one and only known human to have been born with the Pariah Gene... eleven years before it should've even have been possible. At least, that was the leading theory his doctor had proposed. Ryou himself didn't know what to think, other then it was clear he was cut from a different cloth compared to everyone else in the room. Nobody ever told him that being special was a good thing.

He poked at the food on his plate with his fork, a simple light salad with grilled chicken. Food didn't actually seem all that appealing at the moment as his mind wandered, considering his current circumstance and just what it all meant from here on out. It's clear that they thought he had it in himself to do some good in the world, though he wondered just how he was supposed to compete alongside the other students, so many of the clearly superhuman in nature. What he had to offer wasn't flashy or awe-inspiring, not something you can really market. Sure, he had his Aikido training from the years he'd spent going to lessons, but just what was he supposed to call himself with just that?

Yes, that's right. The reason for why he was so deep in thought was because he was merely trying to figure out what his superhero name could be.

"<I could... Pariah? ...No, too depressing.>"

If not the name of his condition, then maybe it could relate to his own abilities. Shutdown had a nice ring to it, but it seemed more appropriate of a technopath or some super-hacker. Vanish? No, that could have the meaning misinterpreted. Nullify didn't sound right at all, while Null just seemed too blatant. Banish? Maybe, but not really. Something similar to it then, like Bane. Yet that was already an established name, and a villain at that. No sell either way. Something relating to the merge could work. The Anti-merge, mergeless, unmerger, mergeb- Mergebane?

Ryou smiled, as he played with the name a few more times in his head, even whispering it a few times under his breath to get a good idea for how it really sounded. Somehow, he just couldn't shake it.

"<Ah, right.> Itadakimasu!" Exclaimed the teen, now with much more enthusiasm as he readied to eat with gusto.
    I'm obviously a doctor of literature.

Comment

Helena

The defense systems were very robust. Helena decided as she flitted from one point to another, dancing on the breeze and barrel rolling for the sheer joy of flying. Classes hadn't officially started yet, so she was getting familiar with the layout, top and bottom.

It had been a chaotic time for the young girl. When the merge happened, her family had been killed by something or lots of somethings with too many claws and far too many teeth. She had escaped somehow, her powers igniting and sending her as far away as she could manage at the time. Later, she found out that a trio of heroes, Superman, Superwoman and Martian Manhunter had found her on the way back from the Death Star. They had found her on Ceres of all places.

Well, to make a long story short, she was adopted by a nice family in New Mechanisburg as they were more adapted to handling a young, traumatized child with powers with something approaching tact and gentleness. The Adalbrecht's adopted the girl into the family officially and she slowly began the long process of healing and coming to terms with her new powers.

A burst of energy consumed her body, transforming it into a transparent, glowing matrix of photons and neutrinos that vaguely resembled a human body. She dove down, bypassing all of the silly, solid things that were just voids held loosely together by electrons. Voids her ephemeral body easily passed through.

She made it to the cafeteria and willed the rest of herself back. With a pop of displaced air, the pretty girl with a mop of curls on her head got breakfast and settled down at a table and began to enjoy it.
      Last edited by kirinke; 19th September 2018, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Diana & Samson
        HP/Luck 1/3 Condition Fine

"Stop your whining! It's unbecoming for both of us." Diana argued as she marched imperiously through the school's corridors, heading towards to the library as he long black hair twitched and swayed in a wind that couldn't possibly be there and despite the fact that she was walking on her own a gruff male voice started to argue back.

"But I'm starving! Why the heck do you need to go to the library so bad anyway? It's chow time!"

"I have a book on hold." She stated wearily like she was talking to a disobedient child "And if I have to sit there while you gorge yourself without a distraction I won't be able to touch anything myself."

"Oh come on!"

"We had a deal Samson, I stop wearing hats on the island and you give me my due deference."

"Due what? That doesn't sound like me."

"I was paraphrasing, it's hardly my fault you have the vocabulary of a hooligan."

And on and on they went...

With a copy of A Little Princess safely stowed in her bag, Diana finally gave in to the creature clinging to the back of her head and made her way to the cafeteria, picking up a tray whilst a quartet of black tendrils reached out from the back of her head to grab even more.

"I'll take a salad please and whatever he wants..." She told the kitchen staff resignedly.

"Finally! Burger and fries boys! And pile 'em high!" Samson crowed in anticipation, shoving his trays in front of Diana, luckily she'd gotten used to the stares that her parasite brought her from the other students and more or less ignored them as she scanned the cafeteria for free seats.

"How about over there?" She asked, spying an almost empty table.

"I dunno, that kid looks pretty sketchy."

"You're imagining things." Diana said dismissing his concern as she approached the black haired boy "Are these seats taken?"
        [URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/7212-Dodgson-s-Builds"]My Builds[/URL]
        [B]Playing[/B]
        [URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/7430-3E-Crinoverse-Tales-to-Astonish-(Recruitment-Closed)?p=260270&viewfull=1#post260270"]Nora[/URL]
        [URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/7810-The-Merge-Young-Hero-Initiative-(recruitment-closed)?p=268145&viewfull=1#post268145"]Diana Gladwin AKA Godiva (and Samson)[/URL]

Comment

Featherweight
          HP: 1, LP: 1, Condition- no worse than expected

Anna had been wandering through the halls for a while now- she certainly was in no hurry to get to the cafeteria. While this place didn't operate on as strict a schedule as a normal school, they were at the beginning of a new cycle (not a year, not a semester, just a cycle) and there were some new faces around.

She hated new faces. What if she knew one of them? Worse- what if she recognized one of them, remembered them, but didn't actually KNOW them, it was all in her head, memories from somebody else that might have been her? The drugs and the therapy had helped, but the process wasn't done yet, after all.

Or worst of all, what if she didn't know them, but THEY knew HER (or thought they knew her, but actually knew her mother)?

I mean, she could just DIE, like really die. Except that she wasn't sure she could actually die, with all the weird stuff her powers let her do...

Best to just avoid the new kids. She would be forced to deal with them soon enough. She had showed up here halfway through the last class cycle, so it was pretty likely she would be seeing some of these new faces in one classroom or another- or worse, in 'training class'.

But wait. These new kids didn't know the order of things here on the island- especially in the cafeteria, where all the students were equal, or so the instructors insisted (Over and over. And over)(and over). One of them might try to sit in her seat, which she had earned three days worth of detention to claim after she got here a few months back. It had been worth it, but she didn't want to have to fight that battle all over again. Probably ought to take care of that right off the bat.

Turning around, she headed back down the hall towards the cafeteria, stooping only long enough to slide her backpack into her room. With that detail attended to she could just go STRAIGHT to the cafeteria ignoring walls, other students, and similar obstacles in the way. Most of the real defenses faced the exterior approaches to the island, and she had pretty well mapped out where the internal ones were (or at least, the internal ones that could trouble her). In minutes, she was sailing through the doors of the cafeteria (quite literally through them).

Just inside the doors she paused, drawing in a slow deep breathe as she looked around. New faces, but not as many as she had feared. and nobody in her seat- at least not yet. She made her way across the room, a stone-faced black-clad little slip of a girl, big wide puppy-dog eyes hidden behind a pair of dark sunglasses. She ignored inconveniently placed tables, cut the line long enough to snatch a pair of apples and a cola, then traipsed over to her seat. Her Seat. It wasn't in a corner, more about the middle of one side wall, and it looked nothing like any other chair in the entire cafeteria. It looked oddly shapeless, and noticeably larger than any of the regular chairs- it was the sort of chair one could really curl up in comfortably, not just sit on- but it also looked oddly melted. And a closer look revealed the this odd chair was set in a shallow depression in the floor, as if some enormous weight had made a permanent indentation- it was exactly where it was supposed to be. And definitely worth the detention she had earned setting the whole thing up...

Curled up in the chair, the stormcloud-in-human-form surveyed the room. And yes, even the new faces...

Comment

Kelvin

Kelvin sat alone in his corner, isolated, and his food tasted like ashes. He felt a moment of bitter loss before he shook his head, speaking quietly.
            "No... that's not it." With a subconscious internal tweak, he adjusted the chemical balance of his body, watching the cafeteria, previously grey and muted, get brighter and more colorful, the cheerful din of silverware clinking against dishes and people breathlessly recounting tales of crushes and pop quizzes. For a moment, things started to swing too far the opposite direction, before Kelvin adjusted his neuro-transmitters again before the world got too sharp. His heart, having begun to accelerate, slowed back down and he once more felt calm, balanced. He wrote down a series of notes in a black leather notebook, reread them, then closed the notebook and stuffed it in his pocket.
            Note to self... depressant has emotional side-effects. Do not administer to anyone who may be prone to suicidal thoughts. He reached one gloved hand up and raked it through his blonde wave, trying to smooth it down, the baggy material of his sweatshirt hanging off of arms that were still a bit scrawny despite the training. He took in a deep breath, counted to five, then let it out, focusing on his food. It was meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Bland meatloaf at that, made especially for him. He took a small chunk of the loaf with his fork and popped it in his mouth. Immediately, his brain was flooded with breakdowns, percentages of the five flavors, chemical breakdowns... the food no longer tasted like ashes, but it tasted annoyingly of math. He grimaced, and grabbed his glass of distilled water, using it to rinse his mouth, his brain relaying trace minerals that the distillation process had failed to remove, and then followed it with the mashed potatoes, with a similar breakdown. He mentally steeled himself and ate quickly and efficiently, trying to ignore the flow of information. At the end, he made a mental note to let the kitchen staff know that the dishwasher's rinse cycle was off, if the phosphates were any indicator. He quickly arranged the items on the tray, ready to bus the tray to the kitchen, when someone walked through the door.

Despite all of the wonders he'd seen, Kelvin still occasionally was struck with just how weird it could all be. This one was ghosting through everything, looking all gothy, and then sitting in a chair set aside from the rest, obviously different. She seemed almost lost, curled up in the chair, and some part of his brain twitched, running anti-depressant formulas through his head. He quickly swallowed a faint smile, reminding himself that not everyone wanted to be fixed, especially if they didn't agree with who others wanted them to be. Someone was approaching her, looking quite cheerful, sitting in empty space and setting her tray on the same. He glanced around, and noticed more new faces. He didn't think his brain was skipping any tracks lately, so most of them must be new. With a half shrug, he gathered up his tray and carried it over to the conveyor belt. His muscles ached pleasantly from Physical Conditioning earlier. He'd pushed himself, ramping up his adrenaline and dopamine levels to keep moving even when he should have dropped, and it had eventually taken its toll. Nothing permanent, but he couldn't really heal himself, just put off the butcher's bill.
            A good run and some fresh air will help me stay awake in Alternate Histories class. He set the tray on the belt and headed for the door.

OOC
            Since everyone else seems to have paired off, I figure I'll give a chance for Checkout to interact outside if they so choose.
            [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
            [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Helena

The New Mechanisburger watched as the girl moved through things to settle on the big comfortable looking chair. She looked small and lost and highly defensive about everything. Before she had been placed with the Adalbrecht family, she had known kids at the orphanage like that. Abuse and neglect came in many forms and expressed itself in not so subtle signs if you could read them. Right then. Being a hero wasn't about glory or being best. It was about being there and being able to help. Sometimes, it was as uncomplicated as being a friend.

So she floated over to the girl and sat down on thin air, then created a flat space for her tray out of the ambient light in the area.

"Hullo." she said brightly. "I am Helena." she told the girl as she took a bite of bacon. "I just arrived last week, it's been rather difficult for me to find friends." she continued. "I can walk through things too, perhaps not the same way you do, but it is something we have in common, yes?" she asked. She had a very faint German accent.

She grinned at the room seemed to light up with it. "Perhaps we can be friends."

ooc
              http://www.coyotecode.net/roll/lookup.php?rollid=218760
              insight 15
              Her thoughts could be right or wrong at this point, since she is basing them off of a very bad point in her life. Still, it is kindly thought, so either way, I'm rolling with it.
              Last edited by kirinke; 19th September 2018, 09:00 PM.

Comment

CJ
                hp: 1; Condition: Normal

CJ walked into the cafeteria like she owned the world. She was dressed well, wearing mirrored sunglasses, a black fedora, a quilted sweater, black cut-off jeans, dark hosiery, and black low boots. She wasn't going to let something like being new here get her down. She had real world problems to do that for her. No matter. She grabbed a tray and checked out the food. It wasn't as posh as the food at home. But it would do. Thoughts floated into her mind unbidden. It was easy to feel great about even the stuff that got her down when she heard the stuff rattling around in other peoples heads. "You should try to peas, they look good," she told one well-dressed girl who had just thought "Yuck, peas." "Yuck, I don't like peas," the girl responded. "No? You looked like you would. I'm CJ." She already knew the girl's name was Sara. CJ used the opportunity to try to remember not to read her new acquaintance's mind.

Stepping back out into the main room she surveyed the rows of tables and benches. She picked a table not far from the main aisle and sat down with Sara. "What do you do?" Sara asked.

"I'm a teleporter. And I can blend into the shadows fairly well," CJ replied. "How about you?"

"That's so cool. I can make sparks of electricity but they mostly just make my hair frizzy," Sara said. "Are you new here?"

"First day. After this, I have to go get my schedule."

Comment

Osamu Ryou / Mergebane
                  ~-----o-----~

"Hm?" The boy looked up, a leaf hanging partway out of his mouth. Realization that he was actually being talked to struck as he hastily grabbed a napkin to cover up his mouth.

"Ah! Gomen- eh, I mean, I am sorry!" Came out the hasty apology, his English stiff and overly formal. His napkin was discarded onto his tray once he had finished cleaning. "I was not paying attention, please forgive me."

"It's just me here. You are welcome to sit if you'd like to." He spoke with his shy, uncomfortable smile. "My name is Osamu Ryou, I transferred here last week. What is yours?
                  I'm obviously a doctor of literature.

Comment

Featherweight (Anna)
                    HP: 1, LP: 1; Condition- spiky

Anna looked over as the floating glowy girl approached- then rather pointedly looked away. There was a brief pause after the other girl introduced herself, and the black-clad girl made a point of pushing her dark sunglasses just a little bit further up on her nose. Still gazing out across the room and NOT at Helena, she spoke in a listless monotone. "I'm Anna, and I'm pretty sure we WON'T be friends. But don't worry, the staff won't let me hurt you..." Her voice is not harsh or angry, just empty of any trace of emotion at all.

"Don't let it get you down. All the new people make mistakes about who they approach or try to talk to, before they figure out the way of things. I got lucky, most of my mistakes lived..." Despite the implicit threat, and the lifeless tone of her voice, the girl did not radiate a sense of danger, just distance. Carefully crafted and maintained distance...

Comment

Helena

Nail meet head. The girl thought. "Oh you won't hurt me. Trust me. I've been though worse than anything you could possibly do to me." she said in a disturbingly cheerful way. "So now that the mutual growls and hisses are out of the way, we are friends." she decidedly.

"Unless of course you wish me to pounce on you randomly and bat your tail back and forth until I eventually wear you down and you relent." she said. "I'm really not sure how this should work. In New Mechanisburg it's a bit different, so I've been told. Repeatedly." She shrugged. "There are alot of 'shifters and anthros in my neighborhood, so that's how we made friends." she considered. "It took a bit of back and forth until everyone was satisfied with a way to do things."

ooc
                      She's going to be the group's Star Fire.
                      Last edited by kirinke; 21st September 2018, 06:52 PM.

Comment

CJ

Another girl sat down across from Sara. "Hi, Julie," Sara says.

"Who's this?" Julie asks. Julie was a little taller than Sara and obviously more muscular.

"Hi, I'm CJ," CJ says. "First day."

"What's your schedule look like?"

"No idea. It was a fifteen hour flight to get to the island and I needed something better than airline food. I'll head to admin after I eat."

They chatted about the school and what teachers and classes to avoid or try to get into.

"Who's that?" CJ asked. Pointing casually at the raised metal chair across the room.

"Oh, never got her name but she's a bit messed up in the head, I hear."
                        "She installed that chair without permission."
                        "Never saw the glowing girl near her before."
                        "Me either. No one goes near her."
                        "I think she wants to be alone."

"No one wants to be alone," CJ said. "Not all the time."

"Dunno. She's very skittish around people."
                        "Yeah."

Comment

Diana & Samson
                          HP/Luck 1/3 Condition Fine

Now that she was closer Diana had to admit that Samson had been right, not that she would ever tell him that, there was something off about the boy in front of him. Still she didn't pay it any mind, whilst she didn't exactly think about her parents favourably any more the lessons that they'd taught her for the first 13 years of her life were still firmly embedded in her. You didn't let people know how you were feeling, it ceded ground, it simply wasn't done.

The boy seemed nervous and English clearly wasn't his first language, still thanks to his little slip up Diana had a pretty good idea of what was. <Diana, pleasure to meet you.> She replied in his native tongue as she sat daintly down on the opposite side of the table, putting her salad down in front of her. <And this is Samson> she sighed as another four trays piled high with junk food clattered on to the table around her.

"Sup?" Came the parasite's voice before his tendrils began greedily shoveling food in to his maw, obviously he didn't speak Japanese but he knew his name when he heard it.

<I know this place can be a little overwhelming at first but don't worry, once you get used it, it's really not too different from any other school.> Diana had been on the island a while now, she'd jumped at the chance to escape the awful 'city' that her parents had exiled her to.
                          [URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/7212-Dodgson-s-Builds"]My Builds[/URL]
                          [B]Playing[/B]
                          [URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/7430-3E-Crinoverse-Tales-to-Astonish-(Recruitment-Closed)?p=260270&viewfull=1#post260270"]Nora[/URL]
                          [URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/7810-The-Merge-Young-Hero-Initiative-(recruitment-closed)?p=268145&viewfull=1#post268145"]Diana Gladwin AKA Godiva (and Samson)[/URL]

Comment

Featherweight
                            HP: 1; LP: 1; Condition: They're making me talk ;(

"I'm not nearly done growling and hissing," the dark-clad girl said, still pointedly not looking at her antagonist. "And I'm pretty sure that if you try to pounce on me and bat my tail back and forth, we're both going to end up in detention. What do they do for detention for you- stuff you in a solar cell?" She paused, taking a sweeping look around the room.

"The friend-y and 'talking to people' part of the cafeteria is over there..." she added, without indicating where 'over there' was supposed to be.

Comment

Helena

"I'm not nearly done growling and hissing," the dark-clad girl said, still pointedly not looking at her antagonist.
                              The girl leaned back, enjoying herself. She at least was getting her prickly new friend to talk and interact, which told Helena that she wasn't nearly so growly as she let on. "That's okay! Some grumble a bit more than others." she said.

"And I'm pretty sure that if you try to pounce on me and bat my tail back and forth, we're both going to end up in detention. What do they do for detention for you- stuff you in a solar cell?" She paused, taking a sweeping look around the room.

She laughed. "No. My powers are more cosmic than light, though I have a bit of that as well." she leaned forward. "What is this detention thing people are so scared of? Is it like not letting you out to see the soldiers train if you're naughty?" she looked thoughtful. "It cannot be all that bad. Nobody has died from it or are missing their limbs when they're released."

"The friend-y and 'talking to people' part of the cafeteria is over there..." she added, without indicating where 'over there' was supposed to be.
                              "They are boring. You are interesting." she said brightly (not a hard thing to do with her).

ooc
                              Helena really doesn't know much about the X-verse. She's more of a DC fan. So she's not at all familiar with the Prydes nor recognize Anna at all. She's treating her exactly like a new kid trying to make friends.
                              Last edited by kirinke; 22nd September 2018, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X