In the Shadow of Imperator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [3e OOC] In the Shadow of Imperator

At the height of World War 2 the first superhuman emerged. There was nothing, no one, that could stop him. His name was Dr. Impossible, and he made history by forcing the Axis and Allies to agree to a peace treaty which he mediated.

On Friday 21 January 2000 the second superhuman emerged. Leading a fleet of never before seen aerial vehicles the individual calling themselves Imperator appeared over Hadron City in northern Kansas. That day an impenetrable barrier surrounded the city.

It remained a sore spot in the American psyche, an entire city and millions of citizens trapped. Until on Friday 13 April 2018, when the barrier was brought down. The United States accompanied by Dr. Impossible moved in to secure the city, finding it drastically changed.

A six month conflict ensued between the US military along with their super human ally against the forces of Imperator. The fighting spilled out into surrounding cities, scaring the larger part of Kansas. People questions if the fighting would ever end. Eventually, Imperator was confronted by Dr. Impossible. The aerial battle spanned several states, but it's end was never seen. At some point there was an explosion over the Arizona desert and both combatants were gone. Neither have been seen since.

Without their leader Imperator's forces eventually fell, or went to ground. Martial law has been enacted in Hadron City and a private army, Stronghold International, has been contracted to get Hadron City under control.

You were part of Imperator's organization. You either followed him to Hadron City as part of the occupying force, or supported his endeavors from outside. Things went silent after Imperator's defeat. Three months have passed, now finally something. Null, one of Imperator's inner circle of Praetors, approached you. They asked you to join them in retaking Hadron City and continuing what Imperator started there. Null promised you power, real power, and authority if only you followed them and gave them your loyalty.

"The future of mankind lies in Hadron City.", those were the words first spoken by Imperator to his forces before the invasion. Now they were echoed by Null. If you had seen the city before the fighting started, before Stronghold's martial law, you could have believed it.

===============================
    [A fallback thread exists at Echoes of the Multiverse forums.]

The above sets the stage for a game I would like to run for four players. The PCs will start as normal people (Ability upper limits dicussed here), albeit very skilled and talented. Later they will be given the opportunity to become much more powerful. The setting is going to be on the darker side of grayscale. You are people of questionable morality, working for a bad person, in a world that may get pretty grim.

For character creation, PCs are PL 7 with 105 PP. They may not have any Powers or Devices. No Inventor, Ritual, or Artificer Advantages. There is no magic in this setting. Super science is also an exceedingly rare thing that normal scientists, engineers, etc. can only maintain and maybe repair. Not recreate. Aside from vehicles and HQ, you may have free mundane Equipment that is supplied by Null (ex. no blaster weapons), unless you want to personally own something.

Other than a build and 2 Complications, I would like a brief concept/background describing your character. Of note, I want to know what role they played in Imperator's organization, where they were and what they were doing during Hadron City's occupation, and what they have been doing the past three months.

A couple warnings. Do not get overly attached to who your character begins the game as. I do not want to spoil anything, however prepare yourself for change that you cannot completely control when it comes to the origin of powers. I also want to try using the lethal combat rules. This mainly impacts the significance of degrees of success on damage and counts recovery time by hours, not minutes.

Cast
    Diego Gonzalez, a spy with a background in art history and linguistics.
    Peter Ezima, a member of Imperator's Engineering Corps inside Hadron City
    Hitori Zanzo, a master swordsman and melee combat instructor to Imperator's forces.
    Dr. Levi Kripke, a world renowned neurosurgeon and spokesperson for "Imperator's Society".
    - Iona, a full body cyborg with the brain of Dr. Levi Kripke.
    Alexandria Thompson, a soldier in Imperator's army, turned mercenary after Imperator's defeat.

Supporting Cast (NPCs)
    Tilly Sander, an Imperator loyalist specialized in urban warfare.

Main In Character Thread, Backup
    Extended Interludes Thread, Backup

Originally posted by Null's Favor
    I am going to try out using an abstract system to reflect the relationship between Null as a patron to the PCs. When the group does something that advances Null's agenda in a significant way they will gain a point of "Null's Favor". This the group can spend to do things like request backup or reinforcements on a mission, get help improving a HQ, borrow a Device for a time, or get access to normally off limits information. There are no hard and fast rules, as I said it is abstract, and while Null may not do exactly as you request they are likely to do something that benefits the group and fits the spirit of the request. At worst the response will be "no" and you keep the point for later use.
    Null's Favor: 1
    Dr. Sokolov's Favor: 0 (Iona Only)
    Last edited by Sakuro; 04-12-2019, 10:51 PM.
    Roll Call thread: [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/54-Character-Cache?p=211&viewfull=1#post211]Character Cache[/url]

Re: 3e Recruiting 4 Players for a Villain game. (Rec. ends Sept. 22)

Are we allowed to have minor Powers-as-Training such as sharp vision (Extended Vision 1), being a bit faster than average (Speed 1), or being a Parkour enthusiast (Sure-Footed)?

And I will add this to the list of games recruiting.
    [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
    [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Thank you for volunteering to add the game to the list Fuzzy.

As to your question, I do not want to use Powers to express training like that. The exception I will make is specialty Skills. For example, Technology Limited to Hacking/Computers. So you do not have to be a mixed bag if your concept is a computers wiz. Sharp vision, could be a Perception specialty. Being very swift could fall under Athletics. Parkour type maneuvers would be under Acrobatics, I believe.
      Roll Call thread: [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/54-Character-Cache?p=211&viewfull=1#post211]Character Cache[/url]

Comment

I am putting in for three games now, but may back out of one for this. Villain games are always fun if everyone gets along ooc. I'll need to think on it, but a spy/assassin type would be fun.
        [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/46-mrdents-menagerie-of-characters]My characters past and present[/url]

Comment

The setting sounds intriguing! Darker villain campaigns aren't my cup of tea, but I'd definitely be interested were a heroic game in the same setting to ever crop up.
          My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Mr-Smooth)?p=68608&viewfull=1#post68608]here[/url]. And, here's the latest version of [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Edge)?p=256421&viewfull=1#post256421]The Cast[/url].
          Currently playing in: [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/6868-Xenoforce-Earth-s-Strangest-Heroes-Recruiting-2-more-players][color=#d7af50]Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes[/color][/url].

Comment

I've been away for a long time, but I'm willing to take up a shot here again - I've always wanted to try a villains game that works.
            Impeach the peach!

Completed Games:
            Crinoverse - Avengers
            Crinoverse - Young Avengers
            Crinoverse - Bay City Sentinels
            Crinoverse - Time After Time
            Crinoverse - San Antonio Avengers
            Crinoverse - Honnounji Academy
            Extreme Unction

Comment

So for those outside the protective bubble working on Imperators behalf, was there a way to communicate? I am thinking making a character like the spies in the Americans where he embedded into the outside world, but assassinated and spied on orders of Imperator.
              [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/46-mrdents-menagerie-of-characters]My characters past and present[/url]

Comment

That is a cool, and a very fitting idea MrDent. Yes, there was a way for Imperator to communicate with people outside of the barrier. There were also two Praetors/members of Imperator's inner circle (out of four total), that were outside the barrier coordinating things on Imperator's behalf. Null was also a sort of middleman, being the only person who was ever seen on both sides of the barrier.

In short, yes. There was solid communication and coordination. But there was also a chain of command. So your character wouldn't likely have received orders directly from Imperator.

Comment

Hmm. So I am looking at one of the Engineer Corps, able to maintain and repair the wondrous super-science creations of Imperator's forces, but frustratingly unable to replicate them. Someone who was on the inside of the bubble, and thus a genuine believer in Imperator and his goals - the amazing advancements would have been worth it all.
                  Impeach the peach!

Completed Games:
                  Crinoverse - Avengers
                  Crinoverse - Young Avengers
                  Crinoverse - Bay City Sentinels
                  Crinoverse - Time After Time
                  Crinoverse - San Antonio Avengers
                  Crinoverse - Honnounji Academy
                  Extreme Unction

Comment

I didn't think he would be that high level. Maybe an 18 year old in his first year of college when the barrier went up who took orders from someone, built a life, maybe even joined the U.S military for a bit to get special covert ops training. I am undecided if I want to do the mole inside the CIA/FBI thing. Probably not that far though.

Comment

A good idea EnigmaticOne. Those inside the barrier will get to see some amazing things. A living eco-friendly city that almost looked like a garden with a sky rail system, for starters. There were also social reforms. Abolishing of hunger and homelessness. Universal free, high quality, healthcare. Things you could envision in a future utopia, but ruled by a dictator. It might hurt now, seeing it all in ruin. Watching Stronghold pick through the remnants and trying to exploit what remains.

MrDent, that sounds reasonable. PL 7 does put you at "elite" status for mundane people. So all that is within the realm of plausibility.
                      Last edited by Sakuro; 09-17-2018, 03:25 PM.

Comment

The OP suggests that PCs will be gaining powers at some point. How's that going to work mechanically? Will the players be building the powers? The GM? Who chooses what superpower each PC gets?

Comment

The PCs will be getting Powers, but right now I do not want people thinking about their character's Powers.

Mechanically, there will be a template that includes some free Powers. That will be required. On top of the template, the PCs will receive a bump to PL 10 and 45 PP to be spent exclusively on Powers. Some effects will be off limits, but otherwise the player will get to choose what effects their character has. Descriptors will be limited, given the origin of the Powers, and Devices will not be an option.
                          Last edited by Sakuro; 09-17-2018, 02:32 PM.

Comment

I have in mind an intellectual, perhaps a high-profile neurosurgeon. He is a doctor who became enamored with the technological possibilities offered by the Imperator's society. Eventually he began to write sympathetic articles in medical journals. He may have even appeared on nationally-syndicated TV shows like "Today" and "Good Morning America" as a propaganda-mouthpiece for the Imperator.

Comment

^_^ I'm grabbing the role of the sinister magician.

The Amazing Alonzo - PL 7

Strength 0, Stamina 3, Agility 4, Dexterity 6, Fighting 4, Intellect 3, Awareness 2, Presence 4

Advantages
                              Benefit (Cipher), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Equipment 1, Evasion 2, Fascinate (Intimidation), Startle, Throwing Mastery 5

Skills
                              Acrobatics 3 (+7), Athletics 5 (+5), Deception 5 (+9), Expertise (DEX): Close Magic 6 (+12), Expertise: Hardon City 2 (+5), Expertise: Streetwise 3 (+6), Intimidation 10 (+14), Ranged Combat: Thrown Objects 3 (+9), Sleight of Hand 5 (+11), Stealth 5 (+9), Vehicles 1 (+7)

Equipment
                              • Undercover Shirt (Protection 2, Subtle) [3 EP]
                              • Objects for throwing (prefers playing cards) [1 EP]
                              • Close Magic Props (+2 to related checks) [1 EP]

Offense
                              Initiative +4
                              Grab, +4 (DC Spec 10)
                              Throw, +9 (DC 20)
                              Unarmed, +4 (DC 15)

Languages
                              Native Language (English)

Defense
                              Dodge 7, Parry 7, Fortitude 5, Toughness 7/5/3, Will 9

Power Points
                              Abilities 52 + Powers 0 + Advantages 14 + Skills 24 (48 ranks) + Defenses 15 = 105

Complications
                              • Identity - Or, perhaps, a lack of one. Alonzo always seems to be in character. If he's hiding a secret identity, he's doing a very good job of it.
                              • Loyalty - Alonzo is fiercely loyal to Imperator for reasons he refuses to disclose.
                              • Motivation (Recognition) - Like many magicians, Alonzo is incredibly proud of his skill, and he will look for opportunities to show off, or to do tricks almost for the sake of doing them, even when it may be wiser to act more straightforwardly.
                              • Temper - There are a few things that can set Alonzo off. Endangering children is one. Insisting that magic is "just a trick" or insisting to know how a trick is done is another. Alonzo doesn't believe that what he does is actually magic, of course, but he is quite proud of how much work it takes to make a trick look effortless.
                              • Quirk - Drops his scary demeanor in the presence of children, and has a fondness of doing small tricks for them wherever he can.

Background
                              Alonzo's exact background is shrouded in mystery, and he prefers it that way. His first recorded appearance was March 13th, 2016, when reportedly a pimp in Hadron City, one "Nasty" Nathaniel Edwards, decided to supplement his registered girls with a young teenage runaway, in contradiction to Imperator's strict orders of how prostitution was to be run. It's hard to separate the story from the facts, but there were eyewitness accounts of Nathaniel suddenly barreling out of the door to his seedy apartment, babbling about how "they're all dead" and claiming that Death himself was stalking him. Nathaniel's ill-gotten funds bought him bodyguards, and he holed up in a hotel room, back to the hall, hand to his gun, staring at the door to the room... Running on adrenaline, eventually his tank ran empty and his eyelids started drooping, blinking at first, and then closing longer until, after one several-second micronap, he opened his eyes to see his guards dead, playing cards embedded in their throats, and he had only a second before a voice behind him -- despite his back being to a wall -- said "Abracadabra" in sepulchral tones, and he found the steel blade of a knife jutting out through his open jaws like a parody of a tongue.

Now, of course, if everyone was killed, then who witnessed the scene? Well, like most stories, it's mutated, everything from the room-service waiter having witnessed it, to a bodyguard being spared to tell the tale, to Alonzo himself spreading the story. Either way, Alonzo suddenly was on the scene as one of Imperator's in-city enforcers. Always clad in an immaculate black tuxedo with matching top-hat, his identity obscured only by a domino mask that should have hidden nothing, and a neatly trimmed black Van Dyke beard, he has a way of radiating sheer menace, and is every inch the apparently stone-cold killer, all but for one exception. Around children, he is the cheerful stage magician, twisting animals for them with balloons he draws from his sleeves, happily making sponge balls appear, disappear, multiply, and reshape into funny shapes. It's a dichotomy which many have suggested means he has children of his own, or perhaps had them in the past and mourns their loss. However, those who've tried to exploit this as a weakness have learned that if they thought him scary before, endangering children evokes something much darker, much crueler. The last time someone tried, they were found the next day, still alive, but lacking any bones in their arms, which had been twisted into knots. On the other hand, it was proof that you could make a balloon animal out of a forearm...

His primary job was as an enforcer for Imperator. Contrary to the legend around him, his kill count is actually fairly low with most of his success being from the sheer menace of his appearance and personality. Since Imperator's disappearance, he has been spotted more sporadically, appearing on the scene when petty criminals attempt to become warlords. He reminds them through terror and pain that they have but one lord, Imperator, and that he shall remain. Before Null appeared, Alonzo was wearing himself thin, and running short on supplies, as he refused to plunder any of Imperator's caches. Now, perhaps he has the resources to do more.

Tactics
                              It's been said that, in a fair fight, even the most skilled warrior will be overrun by enough opponents, no matter how unskilled. Alonzo tries to avoid such fair fights, striking from the shadows with deadly intent, using misdirection to get his foes striking at illusions, and never hesitating to strike a mortal blow where it might make the difference between his life and death, preferably from a distance.

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at https://www.wolflair.com
                              Mutants & Masterminds, Third Edition is 2010-2017 Green Ronin Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.
                              Last edited by FuzzyBoots; 09-19-2018, 08:42 AM.
                              [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
                              [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                              X